• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: Details on Connectivity, Licensing (24 hour check-in) and Privacy Features

Audioboxer

Days later this still seems like its all a bad dream. What a huge pile of wet, warm dogshit one foot of the games industry has stepped in. Hope Sony don't think putting the other foot in is going to bring any good.

This thread has been so excellent to watch the last few dozen pages. Thoroughly enjoyed the pre-E3 hysteria. Modifying my yearly GAF game to be:

NeoGAF E3 Drinking Game
----------------------

- Anytime a junior member chimes in an Xbox One thread with "just like Steam", take a drink.
- Anytime any member says "it's the future, deal with it", take a drink.

- Anytime a member uses religious reverence to discuss Kazuo Hirai, take a drink.
- Anytime a member whines about PS3 games not being on PS4, take a drink.

- Anytime a member starts a Wii U thread with the word 'comeback' in the title, take a drink.
- Anytime a member with a Link avatar says they're happy with their Wii U, take a drink.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
This thread has been so excellent to watch the last few dozen pages. Thoroughly enjoyed the pre-E3 hysteria. Modifying my yearly GAF game to be:

NeoGAF E3 Drinking Game
----------------------

- Anytime a junior member chimes in an Xbox One thread with "just like Steam", take a drink.

- Anytime a member uses religious reverence to discuss Kazuo Hirai, take a drink.

- Anytime a member starts a Wii U thread with the word 'comeback' in the title, take a drink.
- Anytime a member with a Link avatar says they're happy with their Wii U, take a drink.
RIP to the future participants. Alcohol poisoning is no joke.

Jack_AG

Banned
Seriously...There are still so many unanswered questions, and with a system trying to be what it is, there is GUARANTEED to be an unnoticed loophole, or an unnoticed overstep of consumer rights. (as in, you can't play your games anymore.)
This overstep already exists - its called XBL.

Just wait until someone reports you for something you didn't do because you just happened to kill him in COD and you get a permaban because MS shoots first and often doesn't ask questions later.

This already happens. But next gen its not just your Halo or CoD maps - its the entire fucking game.

Yeah no. There is no polishing this fucking turd. I don't give a shit what systems MS puts in place to ease the blow they will never be able to live this shit down. Nothing short of giving it and its games away for free will change my mind.

Even if they completely remove all restrictions - this is MS - they won't stop trying to squeeze that shit in.

Want a cut of used games? Fine - make your deals with Gamestop, MS, don't fuck the consumer in the process. Leave us out of this shit.

DC1

On your system that has the games installed on the hard drive, it needs to check-in once every 24 hours. Accessing your content on another Xbox One with you signed in, it needs to check-in once every hour.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I just downloaded 3 items on my PS3 that are free for Plus members, I had to punch in my password for each one. Not a big deal but it still feels clunky and not very efficient. Perhaps the Xbox One will simply know who you are by looking at you, auto sign in and instant transactions.

Sounds like you don't have automatic login confirmed.

You must be new to the PSN.
Good luck and enjoy.

Good luck and enjoy.
I thought that sounded a bit weird.

My PS3 never asks for my password when I'm downloading stuff, but I have automatic login on.

Does it really log you out after every download if you don't have automatic login on? Because that seems weird to me.

graywolf323

I thought that sounded a bit weird.

My PS3 never asks for my password when I'm downloading stuff, but I have automatic login on.

Does it really log you out after every download if you don't have automatic login on? Because that seems weird to me.
he might have it where it asks his password for each purchase

coldfoot

Banned
This is factually incorrect. If you put Steam into offline mode and have your credentials saved in advance, it will work forever offline. Of course, YMMV with specific games, but Steam itself has no offline time limit.
Do you know of specific games on Steam that have offline time limits? I'm curious.

NeoGAF E3 Drinking Game
----------------------

This isnt a game.Its a death wish

Rolf NB

Forgive me if this has already been posited and I've missed it.

I would be inclined to think that the right of first sale laws would cover physical disc purchases with regard to being able to sell them, etc. Having said that, do you suppose it's possible that the way around this is by NOT including the entire composition of a game completely on the discs sold in stores, and then utilizing the cloud mechanism to fill in the missing gaps in the software package, thereby not actually giving you the full game at retail, but only a large portion of it?
There does not seem to be a legal problem with purely single-seat-licensed software today, say, Windows installation media that have no value beyond that of a coaster without the license key. You can try selling those just fine. It's just that people already know they're worthless, so you'll have a hard time finding a buyer. And if you do, they'll complain that you cheated them.

So no, I don't think they need to complement the disc with cloud content to make this practice legal.

Rolf NB

Good luck and enjoy.
Nah, this is a legitimate complaint. This is a behavioural change introduced a couple months ago or so. It does not depend on your automatic PSN sign-in setting. It only depends on your "ask for password on checkout" setting. Which makes some sense if you think about the technicalities maybe. But it makes no sense to me in any case to prompt for your password for free items, and that's exactly what's happening now.

My rationale to leave the password prompt setting enabled is that I have my CC data tied to my PSN account, and I do not want to open up a mechanism that could charge money from my card to my PSN wallet without my immediate express consent. Prompt on CC charge is the behaviour I actually want. Prompting on checkout of items that cost money is close enough though.

However, again, the current behaviour is to prompt every time you check out, even if your cart's total cost is zero.

The compounding factor is that you can no longer add free items to your cart. You can only start the download immediately. But this is internally the same as checking out a single item, hence you get one password prompt for every free item you download.

There does not seem to be a legal problem with purely single-seat-licensed software today, say, Windows installation media that have no value beyond that of a coaster without the license key. You can try selling those just fine. It's just that people already know they're worthless, so you'll have a hard time finding a buyer. And if you do, they'll complain that you cheated them.

So no, I don't think they need to complement the disc with cloud content to make this practice legal.

I will say that the Copyright Software Rental Amendments Act of 1990 Draws a specific line between computer software and dedicated video game console games. This was a clarification necessary to outlaw the rental of computer software but still allow the rental of console games. Legally, computer software and dedicated console software are different things.

tino

Banned
Explain to me why the DRM system of video game is so much worse than downloanable movie and music DRM? The DRM of the music world basically collapsed under its owe weight. What make MS think the consumers are willing to accept these terms? For starters, I doubt this will work at all outside of US and Europe.

Look forward to system meltdown and other disaster when this DRM system go live.

Nah, this is a legitimate complaint. This is a behavioural change introduced a couple months ago or so. It does not depend on your automatic PSN sign-in setting. It only depends on your "ask for password on checkout" setting. Which makes some sense if you think about the technicalities maybe. But it makes no sense to me in any case to prompt for your password for free items, and that's exactly what's happening now.

My rationale to leave the password prompt setting enabled is that I have my CC data tied to my PSN account, and I do not want to open up a mechanism that could charge money from my card to my PSN wallet without my immediate express consent. Prompt on CC charge is the behaviour I actually want. Prompting on checkout of items that cost money is close enough though.

However, again, the current behaviour is to prompt every time you check out, even if your cart's total cost is zero.

The compounding factor is that you can no longer add free items to your cart. You can only start the download immediately. But this is internally the same as checking out a single item, hence you get one password prompt for every free item you download.

How is this a legitimate complaint? Free or not free, the system is verifying that you are you by prompting you for a password, which you decided to leave that way. it's a security verification, not a cart amount verification.

Cynar

NeoGAF E3 Drinking Game
----------------------

I think we'd have alcohol poisoning on the bolded point alone

paolo11

What if and I mean what if Microsoft decided to make an online patch for us 360 users to have 24 hours online check on 360 game just like Xbox one?

I'm petrified of this thought. Damn DRM!!!

Sattori

Neo Member
Microsoft seems to want to micromanage everyone's activity...so either you'll buy it or not.... Now about used games I haven't been really up to speed with things but why don't they do this: games normally sell well for about 1 year, if it's a money issue, they why not release the insane rules on games and game lending after that one year period... it would be fair to the companies and to the consumers.

1. Keep rules on game for 1 year so that companies can complain less about making money.
2. After 1 year passes release the locks/strict rules on game so that the consumers can be happy.

As I said I am not fully aware of the detail but I'd like you opinion or a reason why it wouldn't work or how this could be better implemented.

What if and I mean what if Microsoft decided to make an online patch for us 360 users to have 24 hours online check on 360 game just like Xbox one?

I'm petrified of this thought. Damn DRM!!!

*sigh*

Some of this hysteria is getting out of control. There is no way they can do that with the 360. It wasn't designed that way.

*sigh*

Some of this hysteria is getting out of control. There is no way they can do that with the 360. It wasn't designed that way.
They wouldn't do it but there's nothing technically there to stop them. A firmware update that requires a phone home within a 24 hour period of launching any games or apps? Completely doable, as is locking out any consoles using the old firmware from xbox live.

Again, they *wouldn't* do this for a million reasons. Its not even the slightest worry, just saying that its not impossible, or even difficult.

paolo11

*sigh*

I know. My apologies. It's just that I fear that this DRM can be the future of gaming. I never want that to happen.

You see, unless every household in the world has constant Internet access, I don't mind 24 hour check in online but the thing is, Internet is still a luxury for many most especially in 3rd world countries. I am not happy with Microsoft's decision about this.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Louis Cyphre said:
On your system that has the games installed on the hard drive, it needs to check-in once every 24 hours. Accessing your content on another Xbox One with you signed in, it needs to check-in once every hour.

I've been thinking about this, and it occurred to me to wonder what specifically starts the countdowns for these timed checks. Is it per machine, per account, or per title because obviously each of represents a stepped increase in frequency for checking.

At the moment I'm assuming the countdown is set (check performed?) when you log-in on a specific account because it needs to be able to tell the difference depending on whether this the "owner's" machine or they are logged in elsewhere.

Whichever way it actually works, I suspect the handshake where it validates your rights are going to happen in practice a lot more frequently than the times they suggest.

Rolf NB

How is this a legitimate complaint? Free or not free, the system is verifying that you are you by prompting you for a password, which you decided to leave that way. it's a security verification, not a cart amount verification.
a)There is no option to configure the exact limits of what can and cannot be done before a password prompt. There is no setting to prompt on a transaction involving money. There is only a setting to prompt on every transaction, including free transactions.

b)The shop session does not remember an already established password authentication. Even if you stay inside the shop, you get prompted repeatedly. You can't combine multiple free items into a single prompt because there no longer is a choice to go through a cart for free items.

It's a hassle and unnecessary. Good UX design should avoid unnecessary hassle. Asking for better UX is legitimate.

legacyzero

Banned

NeoGAF E3 Drinking Game
----------------------

Must have high alcohol tolerance on Planet Fuck haha

Shadders

Has it been clarified which features require a Gold sub? Like if I want to give my friend a game do we both need to be Gold? What about sharing with family? All need Gold subs?

Has it been clarified which features require a Gold sub? Like if I want to give my friend a game do we both need to be Gold? What about sharing with family? All need Gold subs?

If the 360 is any indication, it would be best to consider any meaningful functionality of anything will be behind the pay wall.

DBT85

NeoGAF E3 Drinking Game
----------------------

This is what a man who doesn't want to get to the end of Monday with a functioning liver looks like people.

NeoGAF E3 Drinking Game
----------------------

if this game had anytime someone mentions "With kinect" this entire place would have alcohol poisoning

Can I add more rules?

Nintendo:

Anyone that mentions nostalgia, have a drink
Anyone that mentions gimmick, have a drink
Anyone that mentions new IPs, have a drink.

Dizzy

Banned
Although I have no interesting in the Xbox One, I'd really like to see which games from which publishers will feature the no resale rule/transfer fees. Lets see which publishers are truly the worst, if any even dare to do it.

Someone posted earlier about box arts maybe mentioning that a game can/can't be resold. That's a very good point, they're going to need some way of communicating this.

j-wood

Has anyone seen this moron's article at Cnet? Basically says stopping used games/lending to a friend was "closing a loophole."

Why the unprecedented wave of righteous indignation? Is this truly the end of a way of life for gamers everywhere?
Well, yes. But that's because we've been living in a transitional age. One with a loophole in the form of shiny silver discs.
In reality, that's what the outrage is all about: the closing of that loophole. One we've taken for granted for 30 years. I can sympathize with that. We've had it pretty good up to this point. But believe me, if the technology existed in 1985, there is no way on Earth Nintendo would have allowed you to let a dozen of your friends borrow your copy of Super Mario Bros.
Why? Because each time you lend the game out to a friend, it's money lost for the publisher. And ultimately, that's not good for the industry.
But gouging the customer isn't a solution, either -- and that's what many gamers feel is happening if the subsidized economy of game resales is shut down.

He also of course compares this to steam and talks about how much of a success steam has been.

Source

I have a question, maybe someone can answer it, I'd appreciate it.

I live in one of those many countries (Malta) that do not have Xbox Live access (thanks to Microsoft's lazyness and crap ways of doing things). So, I am assuming that if I buy a game for the Xbox One from a local store, it will come with a code which I have to enter to validate my purchase and be able to play the game.

QUESTION: If there is no Xbox Live for my country how the heck am I supposed to input the code?

This situation would be identical for me if Sony decide to adopt the same system for the PS4.

Thanks in advance :)

Edit: Yes, I can create a fake account on a different country, but wouldn't breaking the TOS to legitimate my purchase, illogical?

kitch9

Banned
Will MS's servers handle the inevitable DDOS attacks they will get on the Xbone launch?

Nobody will be able to play anything if not.

kmag

I'm really unsure the Xbox drm system for used games will fly in the EU. We have a clear right, defined by Strasbourg, to sell both physical and electronic copies of licensed software.

Where the copyright holder makes available to his customer a copy – tangible or intangible – and at the same time concludes, in return for payment of a fee, a licence agreement granting the customer the right to use that copy for an unlimited period, that rightholder sells the copy to the customer and thus exhausts his exclusive distribution right,

http://curia.europa.eu/jcms/upload/docs/application/pdf/2012-07/cp120094en.pdf

Having said that, on current form, it'll take around 6 or 7 years before we'd even get a decision on the Xbone DRM from the court.

test_account

XP-39C²
I have a question, maybe someone can answer it, I'd appreciate it.

I live in one of those many countries (Malta) that do not have Xbox Live access (thanks to Microsoft's lazyness and crap ways of doing things). So, I am assuming that if I buy a game for the Xbox One from a local store, it will come with a code which I have to enter to validate my purchase and be able to play the game.

QUESTION: If there is no Xbox Live for my country how the heck am I supposed to input the code?

This situation would be identical for me if Sony decide to adopt the same system for the PS4.

Thanks in advance :)

Edit: Yes, I can create a fake account on a different country, but wouldn't breaking the TOS to legitimate my purchase, illogical?

That is a good question. Maybe Xbox One wont be officially sold in the countries that doesnt have Xbox Live?

I'm really unsure the Xbox drm system for used games will fly in the EU. We have a clear right, defined by Strasbourg, to sell both physical and electronic copies of licensed software.

http://curia.europa.eu/jcms/upload/docs/application/pdf/2012-07/cp120094en.pdf

Having said that, on current form, it'll take around 6 or 7 years before we'd even get a decision on the Xbone DRM from the court.
Yeah, i dont think that the EU will do much about this. As you say, it will probably take a long time before anything is being done. Look at PC gaming for example, many physical discs cant be resold (well, they can, but they are useless without a online activation code). Its been like this for years now, but EU havnt done anything about it.

Top Bottom