• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S 2TB pre-order takes No. 1 sales at GameStop

SOR5

Source: Punchjump Business and News Division

Microsoft Corp.’s Xbox One S ranked as the top pre-order product at GameStop Corp.’s online division this week due to building demand.

This week, the Xbox One S 2TB console ranked as the No. 1 best-selling pre-order product at GameStop.com.

Xbox-One-S.jpg

The Xbox One S is a console 40 percent smaller than the current Xbox One and includes a 2TB hard drive, 4K Ultra HD video, High Dynamic Range, a streamlined controller and vertical stand.

It will be sold Aug. 2.

Xbox hardware revenue declined 17 percent in the first quarter due to lower Xbox 360 sales volume.

Xbox Live users increased 28 percent in the period to 39 million users.

SpartanN92

Banned
I preordered the 500gb version (I use an external HDD for my current Xbone).

I'm looking forward to it.
The biggest selling point for me is the internal power supply. I travel a lot for work and I like bringing my xbox with me. Lugging around an Xbox One in an airport is difficult.

Jedi2016

I wonder how many people pre-ordering it only heard half the news and think that this is Scorpio? I wasn't expecting the S to sell for shit since they've already announced its replacement.

ZOONAMI

I wonder how many people pre-ordering it only heard half the news and think that this is Scorpio? I wasn't expecting the S to sell for shit since they've already announced its replacement.

I think more people want a 4k bluray player than you think. It will sell well out the gate, then slow down a bit. This is a much better value than Samsung's $400 offering for a stand alone 4k blu-ray player.

A lot of owners upgrading to the new model? Personally I'm pretty happy with my day one bone and won't be upgrading it until Scorpio.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Cool cool.

"Top pre-order product" - does this include games as well or just consoles?

Bgamer90

Banned

I think there's some that simply want what's "the best" during a certain period of time. These people are usually VERY hardcore but July/August is usually a low period for console sales so even these people can cause a good increase in sales during this period (in comparison to how things usually are for console sales).

Bgamer90

Banned
Personally I'm pretty happy with my day one bone and won't be upgrading it until Scorpio.

I feel the same. I would love to be able to quickly switch between my Xbox games and 4K apps due to having all of it on one box but I can wait another year for a box that will be even better.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Its good time to jump if anyone was on the fence. So not too surprising, they will sell lot of those 500GB console come this holiday.

This is the first time in my life I ever bought a replacement this gen console. Never bought another (new) 3ds etc for example.

Maybe it is because I got a steady income but going from 500 gb to 2tb, slimmer and integraded power really does help. Even if it is just a year until Scorpion hits I can just sell the S and buy that. Really looking forward to the S to put me bit a little bit into gaming

Why is this significant?

Of course the brand new model will be at the N.1 spot. This happens every time a new console launches alone

Angel_DvA

it's not surprising, new model + 4K Blu-ray player, honestly, if Sony doesn't announce Neo soon, I'll take the S for the UHD drive, I doesn't care of the console itself.

Purest 78

I think more people want a 4k bluray player than you think. It will sell well out the gate, then slow down a bit. This is a much better value than Samsung's $400 offering for a stand alone 4k blu-ray player.

That depends on the quality of the player the Samsung player has full features. If the S doesn't and people don't care about gaming. The Samsung player would offer more value.

e-gamer

I dont think it was a lot but I can imagine one or two people going "hmmm the S in Xbox One S must stand for Scorpio!"

If they know Scorpio is a better hardware then they absolutely should know that this S stands for "Slim"!

To watch what on it? There seem to be about 20 4k bluray films in the UK to buy. How many are there in the US?
Probably about the same, but presumably more will start releasing quickly. I'd think there'd be a decent selection by the end of the year.

When they announced this I thought it was idiotic since, as other have pointed out, Scorpio is already announced as well. I got a 4K, HDR TV last week though and now I'm thinking about getting one.

Neo will also play 4K BluRays though, right? I'll probably just wait for that but man, Netflix's 4K HDR stuff already looks pretty amazing, can't wait to see what BluRays look like.

To watch what on it? There seem to be about 20 4k bluray films in the UK to buy. How many are there in the US?

That's a ton in the mind of early adopters. Don't underestimate the hardcore enthusiasts.

When I got into 3D in the early days, there were less than ten 3D Blurays available and half of them were locked up with exclusive bundles/brands. I was able to sell a 20 minute long Disney 3D "sampler" Bluray that came with my TV for $80 on eBay.

In comparison, 4K content is available in droves. Also, although most 4K TVs are "smart" and have apps, many of the cheaper ones do not have 4K Netflix, Amazon, etc., so the Xbox One S provides those as well.

Therefore, for the enthusiast, either buy a dedicated Samsung 4K Bluray player w/ apps for $399, or an Xbox One S 4K Bluray player w/ apps for $399 that can also play games. Pretty easy choice.
For the casual 4K TV owner on the fence, the value of the Xbox One S may cause them to buy rather than wait for a cheaper 4K Bluray player.

Yeah it's a pretty good deal/package if you want a 4K player

I guess so for a new owner, but don't think it adds much value if you already have the old one. At $399 for this model, I would rather use that money for a PS4 Neo if that ends up being the price. Its more powerful and it would be a better 4k player.

cakefoo

So as of today its No. 1 in hardware and No. 2 overall?
Yes. Hardware's only competition is other S models and some themed XBO controllers. Overall, the only competition is other S models, No Man's Sky, and some games releasing in 16+ weeks.

Slim models always help sales. But trying to find relevance in a single day of online retailer bestseller rankings is getting desperate.

Cool, but what's the context? What is its competition (what is it beating out), what's the time-frame of the stat (is this sustained, overall, or just over a few days), etc.

Seriously thinking of selling my current Xbone and getting the 2TB Xbone S. Amazon will give me around $150 for mine and I don't use the Kinect so maybe a bit more than that?

I typically don't get the new/slim models but for this, the integrated PSU and the overall dimensions are big reasons for me to upgrade.

Seriously thinking of selling my current Xbone and getting the 2TB Xbone S. Amazon will give me around $150 for mine and I don't use the Kinect so maybe a bit more than that?

I typically don't get the new/slim models but for this, the integrated PSU and the overall dimensions are big reasons for me to upgrade.

Same here i sold my xbox one to my little brother for a low price.

UE Realist

Neo Member
Not surprising. The Xbox One S improves on the OG model in almost every way, I can see alot of people with current X1's trading up and some looking for a 4K Bluray player getting this as well.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I'm seriously considering trading in my launch Bone for this model. Just got a Vizio P65, Id love to see what 4K movies look like on it.

I was talking about how I won't buy one since they didn't announce the 500GB date yet, but I may still buy one and trade it in towards the Scorpio next year.

Bioshocker

I want to upgrade to the 2tb model. I'm planning on having my old Xbox One as Blu-ray player in the living room and the Xbox One S for games in my gaming room. But I think €399 is too much so I'll wait.

BigDug13

I mean that's how bluray started too. Not a large selection, yet people bought the launch PS3 at $500 or $600 just for the blu-ray capability at the time because all the other blu-ray players were $1000+. Sony significantly subsidized the cost of those machines at the time and A/V enthusiasts bought them. Shitty price for a video game console, but awesome price for a launch blu-ray player that was sure to have the most firmware update capability and frequency.

I was talking about how I won't buy one since they didn't announce the 500GB date yet, but I may still buy one and trade it in towards the Scorpio next year.

That was my plan also just keep the xbox slim clean and scratch free, trade it in for like 100 euro and use that to get Scorpio.

Honestly I totally would get one as Well, dat UHD blu ray is tempting. Still waiting for Neo though -_-
Maybe I shouldn't have gotten a Wii U 2 months ago and waited for NX like a good boy.

slapnuts

I was just about to post and say this same thing man. I bet there are a lot more people than what we realize that think this is the Scorpio..especially with that "s" at the end of the name. With my past experience working in electronic/technologies sales manager position years ago...stuff like this happened a lot with people getting model numbers wrong and going by word of mouth,etc ...

I have it preordered....

Mostly for Gears and Recore.

I'll have Halo 5 to play through.

Dunno what else to get for it as I have a PS4.

Thoughts XBONE GAF?

Top Bottom