• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox |OT| Power Your Dreams

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
I wonder if XGS will fund a new spiritual successor from Itagaki

PS: This tweet is old but I show it being retweeted now.

Last edited:

Roitorb

Viva Pinata 3 would make me buy a XBOX. Are you listening, Rare? I just last week got my 360 out of the basement and the whole family is enjoying Trouble in Paradise now.

Btw, am I imagining but does XBOX series have a problem with DVD drives? By 360 won't read them, I have people saying the same about One.

my one x has issues with dvds sometimes. The one thing it always does is stutter at exactly the 40-50 min mark on any film I watch which is really weird.

Bernkastel

my one x has issues with dvds sometimes. The one thing it always does is stutter at exactly the 40-50 min mark on any film I watch which is really weird.
Wish they let external media players read media from disc. Xbox also needs its own mpv fork(or the whole damn thing itself).

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
I wonder if XGS will fund a new spiritual successor from Itagaki

If Phil is cutting checks to get Japanese titles I wish he would cut a few to get Square Enix, Sega, and Atlus back catalogs on Xbox. Especially if they are first time localizations.

Persona 3-5, FF 1-6, Dragon Quest, Mana, SMT, SaGa, Sakura Wars, etc.

The games have been complete for decades. It would be relatively “easy” to get these games running on modern hardware.

I think it would make the console seem more legitimate in Japan with fans able to easily replay old favorites and simultaneously make a lot of JRPG fans in the West happy. It also might help these big JRPG devs see more value in re-releasing older games, localizing more titles, and developing new titles for multiple platforms.

There are a ton of older JPN only games I’d be interested in playing. It would cost relatively little and might pay off long term even in the Japanese market.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

If Phil is cutting checks to get Japanese titles I wish he would cut a few to get Square Enix, Sega, and Atlus back catalogs on Xbox. Especially if they are first time localizations.

Persona 3-5, FF 1-6, Dragon Quest, Mana, SMT, SaGa, Sakura Wars, etc.

The games have been complete for decades. It would be relatively “easy” to get these games running on modern hardware.

I think it would make the console seem more legitimate in Japan with fans able to easily replay old favorites and simultaneously make a lot of JRPG fans in the West happy. It also might help these big JRPG devs see more value in re-releasing older games, localizing more titles, and developing new titles for multiple platforms.

There are a ton of older JPN only games I’d be interested in playing. It would cost relatively little and might pay off long term even in the Japanese market.
Yeah. We need some SMT and Dragon Quest on Xbox. Microsoft should start by making old Sega consoles backwards compatible.

Bernkastel

DrDamn

Same place on each film and a very brief pause or a proper judder? Sounds like when it is changing layers and refocusing. Vast majority of players have a brief pause at this point - it's normal.

Roitorb

Same place on each film and a very brief pause or a proper judder? Sounds like when it is changing layers and refocusing. Vast majority of players have a brief pause at this point - it's normal.
It’s a proper judder. I’m use to it now but it’s literally the same place in each film.

DrDamn

It’s a proper judder. I’m use to it now but it’s literally the same place in each film.

Ok, so it sounds like it is where the DVD layer changes but your machine is having more trouble doing this than it should. May be worth using a lens cleaner but it's probably not so easily fixable - some realignment needed? If you have a lens cleaning disc then give it a go, but if it's still largely working then don't try too hard to fix as you'll likely end up doing more harm than good. :D

Bernkastel

How though? It's an online event only and should only be handled by MS employees and devs(devs don't want to leak their own games). It's not like doing a live event at E3. And their shouldn't be any media.
I dont know if he is credible, so I changed my post.

Roitorb

Ok, so it sounds like it is where the DVD layer changes but your machine is having more trouble doing this than it should. May be worth using a lens cleaner but it's probably not so easily fixable - some realignment needed? If you have a lens cleaning disc then give it a go, but if it's still largely working then don't try too hard to fix as you'll likely end up doing more harm than good. :D
Thanks for the advice mate. I’ve gotten used to it now and it’s getting upgraded to a Series X soon so hopefully won’t have to wait too long. Thanks again for the info though.

Bernkastel

I am too, I've never told anyone that you still wet the bed.
Turns out I am also very good at keeping secrets and using false bait information.
flat,800x800,075,f.jpg

Vae_Victis

Banned
Is it me or is this a huge deal?
Sounds weird to me. It's either a patent for a very specific way of doing it and the exact tech behind it (as in, the way the engine has been modified to allow for it), or it would be voided in court in a matter of minutes, since you can't patent ideas that have already been done and distributed to the public (and "A video game where there are two parallel worlds and you can move from one to the other at will" is anything but new - for one just look at my avatar, that was 1999).

Last edited:

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
What's up with that render of Chief? Looks worse than the 2019 trailer. Detail on armor gone, orange visor vs deep gold, it has that flat plastic Halo 5 look. Hope it is just a bad render thrown together for the picture and not indicative of the final product.
Edb1KFiXsAAZXU7

3545848-haloinfinite_e319_goforth.jpg

Bernkastel

What's up with that render of Chief? Looks worse than the 2019 trailer. Detail on armor gone, orange visor vs deep gold, it has that flat plastic Halo 5 look. Hope it is just a bad render thrown together for the picture and not indicative of the final product.
Edb1KFiXsAAZXU7

Its just a render.

II_JumPeR_I

Edb1KFiXsAAZXU7

Its just a model render, not a ingame screenshot... check out Renders from Halo4... they have the same lighting and shading

Andodalf

Banned
Edb1KFiXsAAZXU7

Lighting is the biggest deal. The render is in very flat lighting, the trailer shows AO and self shadowing that add so much to its appearance which is much less noticeable in the render

klobrille from era :
"The leak is still fake. Grappling hook is in as to my limited knowledge, but it’s more like an equipment pick-up similar to Halo 3. No idea how that is included in campaign."

Edb1KFiXsAAZXU7

It's the same model when viewed under different lighting. You see this a lot when you work with 3D models. When making texture mods for Fallout 4 I'd have to constantly go into the game to see how the textures actually look in-game with the lighting effects active. In the editor textures like leather/plastic/etc had no depth. Lighting is probably the most important thing in visuals. In the promo shot there is no environmental data for reflections and lighting is simplified so that the model is lit in a specific way. If they had portrayed a render with all the environmental reflections for a different setting it would look odd against a black backdrop.

Here's a good example of what I mean that was easy to throw together.

Top shot was taken from the paint booth in Forza 7 where there are four simple lighting presets to help with painting and the cubemap reflections are inactive while painting. The metallic blue paint, glass and chrome become dull with nothing to reflect. The bottom shot is from the garage which has all the lighting and reflections active. The same thing happens to Chief's gold visor that happened to the chrome in these shots, it becomes dull.
HfmK5eL.jpg

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Lighting is the biggest deal. The render is in very flat lighting, the trailer shows AO and self shadowing that add so much to its appearance which is much less noticeable in the render
It's the same model when viewed under different lighting. You see this a lot when you work with 3D models. When making texture mods for Fallout 4 I'd have to constantly go into the game to see how the textures actually look in-game with the lighting effects active. In the editor textures like leather/plastic/etc had no depth. Lighting is probably the most important thing in visuals. In the promo shot there is no environmental data for reflections and lighting is simplified so that the model is lit in a specific way. If they had portrayed a render with all the environmental reflections for a different setting it would look odd against a black backdrop.

Here's a good example of what I mean that was easy to throw together.

Top shot was taken from the paint booth in Forza 7 where there are four simple lighting presets to help with painting and the cubemap reflections are inactive while painting. The metallic blue paint, glass and chrome become dull with nothing to reflect. The bottom shot is from the garage which has all the lighting and reflections active. The same thing happens to Chief's gold visor that happened to the chrome in these shots, it becomes dull.

Yeah just seems like a bad render but when I first saw it I got Halo 4/5 crayon spartan vibes and was disappointed. The return to the old style of armor is big deal for me. Surprised they bothered to prep a new render vs a quick photoshop from last year's trailer.

Last edited:

DrDamn

It's the same model when viewed under different lighting.

It's not the same model even. There are some obvious and some subtle differences.
  1. Markings on the cod piece
  2. Shape of the lower arm piece in particular highlights a slightly slimmer, stretched athletic form.
  3. Material and shape of the helmet bits on the cheek bones. On the older render they are recessed, on the newer one puffed out a little.
I wouldn't read anything into the general look of it though, very different lighting and render engine would explain a lot of that.

Top Bottom