• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Xbox players need to get good" - Elden Ring completion rate on Xbox is 1/2 that of Steam and PS

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

Wouldn't that mean PlayStation players would have a higher completion rate than PC players too?

feynoob

Gold Member
Wouldn't that mean PlayStation players would have a higher completion rate than PC players too?
Depending on the sale numbers.

10m players on ps at 34.7% is 3.4m. Compared to 8m steam at 37.8% which is 3m players.

If PS has higher sale numbers than steam, then it will have more completion rate players, but lower percentage rate.

pasterpl

Just wondering if I am in this statistic, pre-ordered Elden ring based on hype (disc edition), and it is still in original foil, never unpacked. Waiting for me to finish gamepass :) got this situation with latest Diablo as well, pre ordered it, but never opened the box. Prefer quick CoD match, or some relaxing time with flight sim or Forza horizon cruising. there are way too many games on gamepass (Xbox and pc) to play and I don’t have time to come back to these older tittles, but Diablo I just double dipped on steam so might get to it as I loved every single previous games.

Last edited:

feynoob

Gold Member
Just wondering if I am in this statistic, pre-ordered Elden ring based on hype (disc edition), and it is still in original foil, never unpacked. Waiting for me to finish gamepass :) got this situation with latest Diablo as well, pre ordered it, but never opened the box. Prefer quick CoD match, or some relaxing time with flight sim or Forza horizon cruising. there are way too many games on gamepass (Xbox and pc) to play and I don’t have time to come back to these older tittles, but Diablo I just double dipped on steam so might get to it as I loved every single previous games.
You need to play the game.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
90.48% of Halo Infinite campaign players have not completed the story.

47.87% of Starfield players have not completed a mission that probably takes all of ninety minutes beyond character creation, if you don't immediately start hopping into side missions when you land at the first major population center.

Xbox is either wildly, disproportionately negatively impacted by the GaaSbag effect, or Game Pass subscribers are doing a hell of job burning through their monthly bandwidth cap, only to spend a ridiculously short amount of time with what they are paying $203 per year to access.

Neither possibility paints a pretty picture of what Microsoft's internal studios are likely to be tasked with in coming years.

DeVeAn

I don't even know what to call the Xbox base. They don't buy games they don't complete games and they don't play too many games but they are the loudest on sociel media defending Xbox. What are they? What is their motivation?
I’m opposite of everything you said and I play mostly on Xbox.

Methos#1975

I plat it on PS5 but bought it on Xbox on sale and got halfway through when I stopped due to the DLC announcement so I can do it as part of my playthrough

acm2000

I've never trusted the percentages that are shown on achievements because there are so many that don't make sense, as someone said earlier you can get achievements for just running the game that aren't even 100% (you have to at least run the game for the achievement tracking to register) or other pretty much unmissable ones that are really quite low, it's always confused me.

Isn't he an optional boss? The only optional boss I didn't kill in Elden Ring was Dragonlord Placidusax, by that stage of the game I'd had enough and just wanted to finish it

Last edited:

Roberts

Guilty. Never finished even though I liked it a lot. I tried to get back to it a few months ago but had no recollection where I was and what I was about to do next.

Allandor

Restricting the addon to be only playable to people who have made it through the game will also reduce the audience for this addon. I guess sales wise it won't reach even a quarter of people who bought the main game.

I know this is the nature of the game which makes it hard to get through the game for most people, but from a business point this is not such a wise decision. But their fans will love this.

Radical_3d

3b4.png

I’ve finished on SX but I’m thinking in on having the physical version with the DLC for the Pro since I’ll have to start a new game to access the new content.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Completed all Souls games on Xbox but Elden Ring is bloated and never ends. I have things to do in life, I can't spend 100+ hours on a game.

You can finish Elden Ring in under 30 hours easily. Just do the main questline. Best be prepared for some tough bosses though...

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I didnt finish it either. Got the game day 1, but quickly noticed multiple issues with poor balancing in the battle system. Actually got banned twice just for being critical of the game, and banned from the OT. Game does some stuff really well but sucks at times too. Dropped the game after 60 hours or so. I got it for PS5 though.

cireza

You can finish Elden Ring in under 30 hours easily. Just do the main questline. Best be prepared for some tough bosses though...
I don't like this. I like my games focused, rather than being huge worlds filled with useless, copy-pasted stuff where I have to guess what is meaningful and what isn't. Waste of my time.

Finished Sekiro twice. From's best game to date. So Elden Ring is good for some people and I that's fine. Not every game has to fit my personal tastes.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

I have it on PS, Xbox and PC. Only finished on Xbox Series X as VRR made it the best platform for me to play on at the time.

POKEYCLYDE

Not really. This is one of those cases where percentage doesn't mean that much.

Game sold 25m copies.

If Xbox sold 5m, that means 800k-1m people completed the game. That is more people completed the game, compared to other Xbox games on gamepass.

And now I wonder if the completion data is accurate or not. Because 1m people is alot.
I think the point that was trying to be made, is that when you have a library of games at your fingertips that is constantly updated with new titles, you may jump over and try those games. Which would lead to a higher rate of players abandoning their current playthrough.

I didn't finish Elden Ring, but I put in over a hundred hours. The thought of picking back up where I was is daunting though. It's been long enough that I'd have to relearn a lot of shit. Starting over is also daunting.

As the gap between your last play session of Elden Ring grows, the less likely you are to return. And Gamepass is a great catalyst to jump ship to a new game.

feynoob

Gold Member
I think the point that was trying to be made, is that when you have a library of games at your fingertips that is constantly updated with new titles, you may jump over and try those games. Which would lead to a higher rate of players abandoning their current playthrough.

I didn't finish Elden Ring, but I put in over a hundred hours. The thought of picking back up where I was is daunting though. It's been long enough that I'd have to relearn a lot of shit. Starting over is also daunting.

As the gap between your last play session of Elden Ring grows, the less likely you are to return. And Gamepass is a great catalyst to jump ship to a new game.
You don't really need gamepass.
I play FIFA alot and that is one of the main reasons for not completing alot of games.

Start new game. Play 2-4 hour. Start FIFA. Forget about the new game.

Are people still new to the concept that what is considered easy/hard for them, is not how everyone else considers to be?... And that being dismissive towards those people is really meat headed and stupid?

If you were to Google how many people thought Sekiro was easy, you would find a bunch of people, saying that. But that is very subjective, because to people that don't have natural or learned inhuman reflexes, or have 12 hours a day to play games, Sekiro was quite rough.

I had to cheat to beat Mother Brain in Metroid Zero Mission, because FOR ME it was impossible.
And I had to scrap on the net to find other people that thought so as well. Because everyone else was saying how easy it was.

This shit is the most subjective thing imaginable. There are so many factors to put into consideration.
There are mostly objectively easy games, like Pokemon, Journey or Kirby. But beyond these examples, stuff will vary.

If Elden Ring is easy for you, cool! It would be nice if everyone else that dropped ER was you, the game would probably have a higher completion rate, the game probably has a fantastic ending (I didn't play it yet).

But there are other people on earth that aren't you. And it's fine to not be you, and it's fine for you to be you. Can we keep it that way?

I'm not talking about the stat, by the way. That most likely has something to do with Gamepass, and the fact that over there people move on from games a lot quicker.

I'm talking about the embarrassing comment section here.

Last edited:

Shake Your Rump

Gold Member
I never completed it. I got knocked off the Erdtree branches by bubbles so many times, that I just stopped playing. It reminded me of those archers in Dark Souls Anor Londo. The game just wasn't fun anymore by that point.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Why would taste be different between XBox and PlayStation players?

It's undeniable that there is a significantly more western lean to games that do well on Xbox. Xbox built its brand on Halo and 20 something dude bros in the early 2000s, and you can still see some of that in the most played games (outside the unmoveable games at the top).

Rockman33

It's funny I can't do souls like but games like cuphead and returnal are a piece of cake. I was also good at the ninja gaiden games.
I’m sure if you sat down with it for a while you’d get the cadence. I was the same way with Elden ring and then it just clicked.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It's undeniable that there is a significantly more western lean to games that do well on Xbox. Xbox built its brand on Halo and 20 something dude bros in the early 2000s, and you can still see some of that in the most played games (outside the unmoveable games at the top).
So we would find the same imbalanced completion rates for the Dark Souls games too right?

RickMasters

It’s always GamePass effect you can blame. Too many games, too little time.

I mean…. Yeah. I have Elden ring in my backlog but something else always pops up on gamepass. Maybe I’ll finally start a playthrough when the new DLC comes out….. but that comes out around the same time as avowed, COD and starfield DLC….. yikes! 😂😂

There's 2, I think one might be optional.
Mohg, the Omen is 29.9%, Shardbearer Mohg is 34.8%.
Malenia is 31.1%.
Which one is needed for the DLC?
Shardbearer is the one needed for DLC

The Omen is a weaker version but harder to find, so that's why it has a lower percentage than even Malenia.

Also, I'm watching a Shadow of the Erdtree event on Twitch right now and it says you also need to beat Radahn to access DLC. Anyone know the Xbox percentage on him?

Last edited:

Fredrik

I didnt finish it either. Got the game day 1, but quickly noticed multiple issues with poor balancing in the battle system. Actually got banned twice just for being critical of the game, and banned from the OT. Game does some stuff really well but sucks at times too. Dropped the game after 60 hours or so. I got it for PS5 though.
You’re breaking my heart here! I thought we had similar taste in games 💔
Elden Ring is my #2 favorite game of all time, only below Super Metroid but there are lots of nostalgia in place there and I wouldn’t be against having Elden Ring as #1 if the expansion is good.

You should give it another try. I could help you with some fun character build tips to get started or boss fight strategies if you get stuck. I don’t play it with some min maxing, I play for fun. If you like swords, go with Bloodhound’s Fang, can get it early by doing Blaidd’s quest. It looks cool and has a fun skill where you slash and flip backwards, looks great and is powerful.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
You’re breaking my heart here! I thought we had similar taste in games 💔
Elden Ring is my #2 favorite game of all time, only below Super Metroid but there are lots of nostalgia in place there and I wouldn’t be against having Elden Ring as #1 if the expansion is good.

You should give it another try. I could help you with some fun character build tips to get started or boss fight strategies if you get stuck. I don’t play it with some min maxing, I play for fun. If you like swords, go with Bloodhound’s Fang, can get it early by doing Blaidd’s quest. It looks cool and has a fun skill where you slash and flip backwards, looks great and is powerful.
I love the art direction and the open world level design is great. A lot of elements of the combat system were rubbing me the wrong way though, and I'm just getting burned out. Played every souls game and my favorite is still Demon's Souls. I'm sure I'll try ER again some day if I get the urge. I dont think I'm buying future FS stuff day 1 though until they mix it up a bit more.

We do have similar taste on most stuff I think lol.

Sacred

Its more the snooze fest open world design. I cant do it - no thanks.
Im more of an Armored Core From fan anyways - souls is too played out.

And yes - Elden Ring is probably the easiest 'for the masses' From Software game theyve ever developed - this isnt controversial.

Uh...yes? Sekiro is far more difficult and engaging than Elden Ring could ever hope to be. I fell asleep playing ER, no joke.
I blame the open world - cant stand any open world game actually.
DS3 is by far the most mainstream souls game. Also, you can't comment about Elden Ring if you gave up 5 hours in. The beginning is definitely slow, but ramps up quickly after Liurnia. It also has the most variety and highest quest density.

Sekiro was great but I rarely struggle till the final boss and definitely had to stop playing multiple times because of the repetition of fights and sequencing.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Elden Ring is boring

AC6 exists now lets just forget about ER and play a better game

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Elden Ring is boring

AC6 exists now lets just forget about ER and play a better game
I highly enjoyed both and I'm gonna play both.....Also put over 700 hours in to Elden Ring, there is no way in hell I forget about that game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom