• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X and S Sales Have Collapsed in Europe

Topher

Gold Member
While I understand this sentiment primarily affects PC gamers, it’s clear that it really only affects Xbox in any meaningful way from what we can discerne. It does make it look like what seemed to be true is true, and a significant portion of the people who owned Xbox were PC gamers, which goes back to the early days of Xbox. With the rise of Steam and day 1 Xbox releases on PC, it seems like those PC gamers have little reason to invest on an Xbox. It doesn’t paint the whole picture though as Dual Sense is eating into Xbox Controllers market share on PC yoy.

Personally I don’t have a PC gaming machine and never will again. And an Xbox-PS5 combo provides a lot more value, with GP on one system and a growing digital library on the other. The money you would spend buying both systems this BF wouldn’t be enough to buy a 3080.

Sure....makes sense if someone doesn't want to invest in PC gaming to own an Xbox. Value is subjective though. I find plenty of value in not being limited by the constraints of console performance, backward compatibility and options in accessories. So yeah, can't buy a 4080 for what it costs for both consoles, but the flip side is you can't buy the equivalent to a 4080 in consoles at any price. Nothing wrong with only gaming on consoles, but there are trade offs either way.

Topher

Gold Member
PC is Xbox... Duh.
Drums Eye Roll GIF

Acting like it's good news? Nope it's not.

But stop pretending this was not expected, especially as generation progresses and PC leaves console performance in dust.

Actually selling less than the X1 is unexpected. As the decrease in hardware sales in regions like the EU.

Sony releases games on PC but they haven't seen a decrease in console sales. Microsoft should be able to beat the X1 at the very least.

Jormatar

At this point they have to abandon Game Pass first party releases and start releasing their games on multiple platforms and charging what everyone else is charging. They are losing money fast so the only way they can redeem something is becoming the biggest 3rd party publisher in the world. I'm not even yapping I firmly believe this is the route they take starting next gen.

Brucey

Sony still bringing the Pro and Xbox targeting around double the Pro's power about 12-18 months after Pro comes out

Random thoughts (that I first said about 3 months ago ;) )
Following the OG Xbox playbook (and a somewhat similar sales pattern of 20-25 million units).

Forth

I think I'm going to bow out from the Xbox sites and forums for a while.
There's just far to much negativity at the moment and personally I don't think it's that's warranted. As much hate Xbox is receiving at the moment, I think PlayStation are making some shitty moves too and not getting an inch of flak for it.
For me personally I prefer the Series X hardware and games library and think it's better than PS5 in usability and reliability but the internet appears to disagree on those points.

There's just far to much negativity at the moment and personally I don't think it's that's warranted. As much hate Xbox is receiving at the moment, I think PlayStation are making some shitty moves too and not getting an inch of flak for it.
For me personally I prefer the Series X hardware and games library and think it's better than PS5 in usability and reliability but the internet appears to disagree on those points.

It's fine that you have your preferences but many others might not see it the same way as you do. To you it might not make sense why people choose one over the other but I'm sure those that make those decisions probably have good reasons for doing so. Doesn't make either of you wrong but it's just the way it is.

GHG

I can't tell if he's mocking Phil or just towing the line.

Almost certainly not towing the line, those tweets are laced with sarcasm given the context.

He was one of the last remaining OG's that had been with Xbox from the start, but ended up being a casualty of their current demise.

Once his NDA is up it will be interesting to see what he thought about the shift in strategy (PC day one, gamepass, publishing on other consoles etc) as it was happening.

Last edited:

jm89

Can't see that tweet from major nelson being anything other then straight up mocking.

He just brings that line outta nowhere, when he really didn't need to.

Major nelson must be relieved to finally speak his mind. Just didn't expect that he would start promoting playstation and mocking Phil spencer like that. I bet most xbox execs play more on switch and playstation than they do xbox. Its just a job to them. Their personal preferences are different. Heck, Phil spencer doesn't hide that he likes the switch and he would do the same for PS if they weren't a direct competitor.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Also, sabotage steam and improve your own store with all features steam offers. There cannot be such a successful storefront on your platform that you don't directly profit from. Just like Apple/Google.

Without Steam there’d be no reason to buy Microsoft’s games. Microsoft’s storefront is among the worst on PC.
It’s so bad you have to RESET the game app, if it doesn’t start. Even when using Game Pass, there are times when none of your installed games will launch.

It’s incredible, but this is the company that sometimes can’t even get quizzes working correctly on their rewards page.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

Larry obviously tries to make money from pushing his Amazon affiliate links. Considering the current market reality he'll earm more from promoting Playstations than Xboxes.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Better be safe than sorry. I always find it weird when people talk about "negativity" when we are also talking about facts, but you have the right to have whatever opinion you want to have. As for the Xbox/PS5 usability and reliability, a lot of people simply only have one of those consoles, and are naturally more at ease with the one that they do own. I don't know how Xbox work, how good or bad the UI and other stuff like cloud saves work. Good for you if you find your Xbox more adapted to your usage.

Fredrik

It's almost as though exclusive content is a big part of the console business model. Since gamers can play multiplats on more than one console (or PC), ignoring the release of a robust set of exclusive titles is profoundly dumb.

They have failed to create a scenario where the Series console is needed. It's no surprise sales are dropping.

All that money and the best they could think to do with it was rob the competition of multiplats by buying up third party studios. Such a shame. Where's Gears 6?
Just be thankful that PC is a solution, stop trying to make it seem like a bad strategy. I’m playing Starfield at 130-165fps with a big list of nice mods and I’ll be forever thankful that I can do that. Console exclusives are the worst.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Playstation has made shitty moves as of late. It isn't just raising the price of online that has me pissed off is that I can't downgrade to another tier without letting my current one expire.

Also and this has me really mad, I can't extend my PS+ subscription at the 30% black friday discount they are giving to new members. I'd have to pay full price.

On Dec. 2nd my PS+ subscription will expire and only if I can get it for the 30% off will I extend it.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Just be thankful that PC is a solution, stop trying to make it seem like a bad strategy. I’m playing Starfield at 130-165fps with a big list of nice mods and I’ll be forever thankful that I can do that. Console exclusives are the worst.
Except it IS a bad strategy if the goal is to move more Xbox units.

Like you I played I played Starfield on PC instead of that 30 fps console.

Top Bottom