• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X, BC to bring HDR and 60/120 FPS

I recently picked up the Mass Effect Trilogy on 360, but I might as well wait for Series X to experience them at 60 fps locked with HDR. All my Assassin's Creed games will look great at 60fps also.

Naked Lunch

Bumping locked 30fps games to 60 is absolutely huge.
We'll see how common it is.
I can just picture the Ace Combat 6 60fps game we never got. Or the Armored Cores...

pr0cs

I can't imagine that hdr will look good for a lot of games, most likely be a lot like rdr2s implementation, half baked.
Either way some games will likely look pretty damn good and the fact you have that option is great!
The days of orphaning your purchases from gen to gen should die in a fire.

RetroAV

To me, BC is fine and dandy, but not at the expense of investing in new, platform-defining games. Focusing on new games is more expensive/risky to do. It's the biggest reason I respect Sony and Nintendo over Microsoft. The only reason I see Microsoft focusing on BC is because it's a cheaper/safer option. And you can't rely on 3rd-parties as far as "new, platform-defining games" because they release on multiple platforms which means they can't generally show what your platform is fully capable of like a 1st-party would.

RetroAV

Yes because fucking BC team is also some game studio, that logic is simply amazing. Also like 90% of library is the same anyway between X1 and PS4.
Okay, then I stand corrected. I guess they were just sitting on their asses most of this gen. Hopefully, they correct that moving forward.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Okay, then I stand corrected. I guess they were just sitting on their asses most of this gen. Hopefully, they correct that moving forward.
Alright this BC team, not much to do with their current game output, you know, this basically changes nothing if they do the BC or not.

TigerKnee

To me, BC is fine and dandy, but not at the expense of investing in new, platform-defining games. Focusing on new games is more expensive/risky to do. It's the biggest reason I respect Sony and Nintendo over Microsoft. The only reason I see Microsoft focusing on BC is because it's a cheaper/safer option. And you can't rely on 3rd-parties as far as "new, platform-defining games" because they release on multiple platforms which means they can't generally show what your platform is fully capable of like a 1st-party would.

But they are developing new games?

Wait until the PS5 SSD does the same!

j/k

This sounds awesome, i have a big digital back catalog for Xbox, wonder if that will work?

6wZUtoQ.jpg

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

Yes they are focusing on BC. That's why they bought a ton of new studios. For all that BC work. /S

Journey

Banned
When they released all the specs and had their talk with Digital Foundry, they showed a video on how it looked for Fusion Frenzy.
EDIT: just checked, they didn't have the actual footage, timestamped here

Cool, I missed that. I would love to revisit these old games and play them at 4K + HDR + 120FPS Games like Panzer Dragoon Orta have age extremely well btw.

GameOfPixelsX

Neo Member
Jesus.

Does anyone know how this might affect games that were coded around their framerates? Are there any OG Xbox games in particular coded that way? I know even older computer and console games had some logic systems coded around their CPU frequencies (which is why they would have problems running on faster systems; the logic, physics AI etc. get all messed up), so I wouldn't be surprised if even into the modern era there have been games coded around a certain locked framerate.

I guess given the more advanced game engines of the past decade or so, even if a game had aspects coded around things like framerate it would not be an issue to keep that in sync through engine implementations themselves. But it's something I was curious about is all.

All around though this is good news; I hope Sony can offer similar benefits with older PS games on PS5 (hopefully they actually have emulation for PS1, PS2 and PS3 at that).

Can't wait, X1X is already fantastic at updating previous gen games. Sony and Nintendo are really frustrating when it comes to BC, Nintendo especially.

Ogbert

MS are doing some very cool things. Of note, they are actually undermining a lot of ‘remaster’ nonsense.

For example, no need to pick up the hypothetical remaster of Witcher 3, if the X is already boosting your current version to 60fps.

It’s the benefit of PC ownership being brought to the console market.

Now they just need the games.

cireza

If they can convert 30fps games to 60fps without adding input lag, that's quite huge.

That tweet was quite violent by the way.

Last edited:

Vol5

Auto HDR?? The game has to be mastered in HDR...you can't just add it in. I suspect it's like that fake HDR mode you get on monitors.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
This is pretty nice for bc users! Hoping that SONY can do the same since I’m holding out on FF7r and Ghosts of Tsushima.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
What impresses me most here is the "auto HDR" feature. I'm not sure how well it will work, and I'm not sure if we aren't going to see some examples where it's looking weird, but it's such an impressive feat of engineering none the less. It really shows that there's not a single company out there who excels in software like Microsoft.
My LG oled c9 does this.
And it's shit.

Just like samsung made their 3d tv's do auto 3d in 2d video.

This will only confuse people what HDR is.
Not that you need to worry as currently they do everything they possibly can to make "HDR" one big giant clusterfuck.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
Does anyone know how this might affect games that were coded around their framerates? Are there any OG Xbox games in particular coded that way? I know even older computer and console games had some logic systems coded around their CPU frequencies (which is why they would have problems running on faster systems; the logic, physics AI etc. get all messed up), so I wouldn't be surprised if even into the modern era there have been games coded around a certain locked framerate.

I guess given the more advanced game engines of the past decade or so, even if a game had aspects coded around things like framerate it would not be an issue to keep that in sync through engine implementations themselves. But it's something I was curious about is all.

All around though this is good news; I hope Sony can offer similar benefits with older PS games on PS5 (hopefully they actually have emulation for PS1, PS2 and PS3 at that).
If game has locked framerate it will stay locked. I would say, that most of western game were written with variable FPS in mind because of PC ports. At least since OG XBox.

Let's just stick to BC in here.

My favourite BC experiences this gen have been RDR and Panzer Dragoon Orta at 4K. These games would look even better with HDR. Also just having Sonic Unleashed, with no enhancements at 720p, not run like crap was really nice, I was able to finish it recently (10 years later).

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
Even though I think BC is highly overrated, MS does much better in this area than Sony.

HDR makes a lot of difference.

splattered

MICROSOFT:
"You dont have seen the power of next gen yet"

ALSO MICROSOFT:
"We are adding more fps/HDR to current gen games"

MEANWHILE SONY:
unreal-5-demo-ps5-930x487.jpg

I mean, you dont wanna start...

He was saying it's hard to relay the leap in feel of fluidity and stability of the games without gamers having hands-on experience, the graphics are the obvious jump in next gen.

I am trading in my Xbone X for Xbox Series X and this is just such amazing news that it makes me want to cry. Kudos to Microsoft for doing an amazing job on BC enhancements.

On top of 4k assets, 60fps, HDR, almost no loading times, for BC games I wonder if they will implement raytracing? :unsure:

I had an xbox 360, but didn’t bother with the xbox one. If I decide to get a series x at launch i would love to play some of the games i missed out on with a better resolution and framerate. This is a nice feature, but I wouldn’t necessarily think it would bring ps4 gamers to xbox. I saw some videos on what they have already done with the xbox one x and in particular rdr and oblivion. They both look pretty great.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
MICROSOFT:
"You dont have seen the power of next gen yet"

ALSO MICROSOFT:
"We are adding more fps/HDR to current gen games"

MEANWHILE SONY:
unreal-5-demo-ps5-930x487.jpg

I mean, you dont wanna start...
You can keep these high-quality posts in:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I had an xbox 360, but didn’t bother with the xbox one. If I decide to get a series x at launch i would love to play some of the games i missed out on with a better resolution and framerate. This is a nice feature, but I wouldn’t necessarily think it would bring ps4 gamers to xbox. I saw some videos on what they have already done with the xbox one x and in particular rdr and oblivion. They both look pretty great.
If you bought any digital games on the 360, or if you still have any of the discs, you'll be able to play those on the Series X. So even if you "switched teams" this gen, you could still potentially have a library of games on the Series X from the get go. RDR and Oblivion are indeed amazing on the Xbox One X. Sounds like they'll be running with HDR and either 60/120fps on the Series X which is going to be even better.

Personally, I'm looking forward to playing stuff like Jedi Fallen Order where the console is able to keep a stable frame rate. Additionally, some older games like Far Cry 4 and Assassin's Creed Syndicate (which never got X Enhanced Patches) I've been holding off on replays because I'm interested in seeing what can be done with these games on the Series X without developer input.

Also to all the Sony fans - I assume you'd be happy too if you learned that the PS5 was gonna play Bloodborne at 120fps.

LostDonkey

This is one feature that really knocks it out the park for me. I hope Sony does the same but I'm not holding my breath.

Being able to carry your catalogue forward and take advantage of the new hardware for those titles is something I've long enjoyed being a mainly PC gamer. Some games never get a sequel and get left in the abyss when potential is there to bring them back up to date and polish up some things. (looking at you driveclub). Imagine that game compatible with PS5 and the power taken advantage of naturally. Or the Order. Or Black on PS2. Some older games refreshed natively without having to purchase against through a service.

Brilliant from MS this.

Top Bottom