• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X, BC to bring HDR and 60/120 FPS

I would kill for GTA 5 Reshade, 4K 60fps, with Raytracing on XsX. Never played that game.

vzTQSF2.jpg

AnUFOAw.jpg

T-Cake

I'm really curious about this unlocking framerates stuff. If they can pull off a large amount of OG exclusive Xbox games at 60fps+ I might jump onboard.

It's not unlocking. They mentioned it very briefly many months ago. Using DirectML to interpolate motion and therefore double the frame rate.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Don't need to. It's being faked and likely not what the original artists on the games may have intended.
Really? You're not even going to take the time to see what they do. So you actually have no clue what Microsoft did but you have am opinion ready on it... Pretty childish.

YCoCg

Gold Member
Honestly this is great, it's weird to see some people here hate on this and try and dunk on it, fact is the PS5 should be doing something similar! PS1 and PS2 are perfectly easy to emulate and PS3 would take a lot of work but having an in-house team working on it then it should be doable, hell imagine how much of a strong start the PS5 gen would have if they could easily turn around and say stuff like "Play EVERY Gran Turismo game at a minimum of 4k Locked 60fps on your new console".

TigerKnee

MICROSOFT:
"You dont have seen the power of next gen yet"

ALSO MICROSOFT:
"We are adding more fps/HDR to current gen games"

MEANWHILE SONY:
unreal-5-demo-ps5-930x487.jpg

I mean, you dont wanna start...

Let me ask you something and I'm hoping you'll answer because I am trying to get the mindset of you people. You're obviously a Sony fan. Your company has ruled the gaming console land for the last few generations and will most likely win the next one. We get it. The company that makes the black box that warms you at night is a winner. Now my question to you. What gets you off posting drivel like you did above? Does BC threaten your black box in a way that you must defend its honor?

Also, sorry to burst your bubble but the competitor of your black box can do the same thing above as well.

geordiemp

So if a game goes from 30 to 60, will the controls be twice as responsive (60 fps input on controls),. That would be great.

However, 60 FPS display with interpolation and 30 FPS control inputs totally defeats the main benefit for 60 FPS for me, fluid control.

I need to see more detailed information.

It's not unlocking. They mentioned it very briefly many months ago. Using DirectML to interpolate motion and therefore double the frame rate.

Yikes so double the frame rate for the display of the game, but the inputs from conroler stay the same ? So the core game still runs at 30 ?

If my character still feels slow to react to joystick inputs = thats fucking pointless.

Games need to RUN at 60 FPS so you can feel it when playing, not the display FFS.

Does anyone know if the control with be 60 FPS input ?

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Hopefully they have a separate toggle for retro HDR.

I’m looking forward to it, but just in case it clashes with the original artistic vision, or doesn’t turn out quite right, I’d prefer the ability to be able to turn it off, really quickly and seamlessly, without affecting HDR on my Series X games.

This is all fantastic news, and what a legion of backwards compatibility fans were all hoping to hear.

Xbox One (X)’s backwards compatibility is one of its best features, and something that motivated me to change my negative perceptions of Xbox One, after that launch. There’s a ton of other great features too, but there’s something magical about compatibility that stretches back 20 years ago, and lets me put that same disc in.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Don't need to. It's being faked and likely not what the original artists on the games may have intended.
Yes. Let's take an advancement in video technology and not allow it to be used because artists' work will be ruined by better color, more accuracy, and better luminosity.

It will clearly offend artists who strive to maintain SDR.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Good on MS for giving effort towards BC instead of an afterthought.

Now if only MS can force SeX game to run at 60fps with options that automate giving gamers frames over graphics or vice versa!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Honestly this is great, it's weird to see some people here hate on this and try and dunk on it, fact is the PS5 should be doing something similar! PS1 and PS2 are perfectly easy to emulate and PS3 would take a lot of work but having an in-house team working on it then it should be doable, hell imagine how much of a strong start the PS5 gen would have if they could easily turn around and say stuff like "Play EVERY Gran Turismo game at a minimum of 4k Locked 60fps on your new console".
I got really excited last year when the rumors were going around that this was going to be true of the PS5. And while they haven't specifically said it won't, their messaging on BC has been so bad in this area that my current hype for the console is at near-zero right now. Maybe that will all change next week though, fingers crossed.

It feels like Sony just wants to keep those additional software sales for remasters and such.

kuncol02

Banned
Yeah this would be great, wonder if there are any announcements from Sony or MS regarding mod support.

I've been playing the Saints Row III remaster and it looks better than GTAV now.
Mod support on console means easy way to run unauthorized code, which is big "no" for all three console manufacturers.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Yes. Let's take an advancement in video technology and not allow it to be used because artists' work will be ruined by better color, more accuracy, and better luminosity.

It will clearly offend artists who strive to maintain SDR.
Well it is true, sometimes those enhancements do miss the point of the creators original vision

NullZ3r0

Banned
I have over 300 BC games, and even with MS parading around BC... I have not played anything more than 5 mins.. what I mean is ... when it is accounded i download the game.. goof around ... and delete...

Too many new games ... Switch PS4, ... Xbox etc....

They need to concentrate on newer games...
Who says they cant walk and chew gum? Some of this trolling is pathetic as hell. MS has 15 first party studios. Do you think Phil is paying them to hold their dicks?

I have over 300 BC games, and even with MS parading around BC... I have not played anything more than 5 mins.. what I mean is ... when it is accounded i download the game.. goof around ... and delete...

Too many new games ... Switch PS4, ... Xbox etc....

They need to concentrate on newer games...

From a business perspective this is a great way to generate new revenue. Instead of physical copies collecting dust (all your PS1, PS2, PS3 games), or if you ever wanted to try an old game and never got a chance to play, but are too lazy to go through the hassle of having a physical copy (gamepass), the enhancements create a new appreciation for what game developers and publishers created in the past.

Its a Win Win situation which i personally have an appreciation for.

pr0cs

Honestly this is great, it's weird to see some people here hate on this and try and dunk on it,
Anyone who downplays it doesn't actually buy much software or has a fanboy axe to grind.
It is an absolute insult to expect us to spend our money on digital versions of software only to turn around and say that next gen that software is unplayable without legacy hardware.
My launch console purchase depends entirely on two things, BC support and launch titles.
Price doesn't matter at all to me.

Dark Souls trilogy with HDR, that should be nice.

Edit Oooh, and Grim Dawn too. Since last time I heard they weren't really giving it any X enhancements (could have changed). But Series X would. Grim Dawn HDR, now that will be nice.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
It's looking more and more like I'm going to jump ship to ms this generation.

I only have enough time to play one system so it will be a tough decision for me.

Guess I won't be a day 1 anymore for either

geordiemp

I got really excited last year when the rumors were going around that this was going to be true of the PS5. And while they haven't specifically said it won't, their messaging on BC has been so bad in this area that my current hype for the console is at near-zero right now. Maybe that will all change next week though, fingers crossed.

It feels like Sony just wants to keep those additional software sales for remasters and such.

Problem is will the game be running at 60 FPS or just the graphics ?

If your graphics runs at 60, but game runs at 30 and controls at 30, it will still control like a 30 FPS game.

I would rather devs patch the games to run properly at 60 FPS with 60 FPS fluid control (the important bit).

So much marketing bullshit, so little important details so far.

If the nonpatched game just updates the visuals and my character still reacts slowly to input = chocolate radiator !

I want to play current gen games at 60 FPS with he whole game running at that speed, fluid controls polled every frame and animations of movement to my inputs that react like a 60 FPS game.

Last edited:

abcdrstuv

Banned
Speaking of HDR, anyone seen reporting on the console's Dolby Vision support? The spec is the same "low latency mode", but I'm wondering about streaming support and support for UHD discs.. Also, Dolby Vision gaming could be preferable for two reasons: the metadata is uniquely applied to the settings and capacities of each individual television; there's no way to do "frame by frame" adjustment like a film disc could, but there'd be more granular control over level by level, environment by environment dynamic range..

To me, BC is fine and dandy, but not at the expense of investing in new, platform-defining games. Focusing on new games is more expensive/risky to do. It's the biggest reason I respect Sony and Nintendo over Microsoft. The only reason I see Microsoft focusing on BC is because it's a cheaper/safer option. And you can't rely on 3rd-parties as far as "new, platform-defining games" because they release on multiple platforms which means they can't generally show what your platform is fully capable of like a 1st-party would.

Did somebody hit you on the head before you typed this? Wtf 😂

GriffinCorp

This team has been knocking it out of the park. So much value in being able to play older games on new hardware with bonus. I think they are going to keep adding older titles to the BC list.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Problem is will the game be running at 60 FPS or just the graphics ?

If your graphics runs at 60, but game runs at 30 and controls at 30, it will still control like a 30 FPS game.

I would rather devs patch the games to run properly at 60 FPS with 60 FPS fluid control (the important bit).

So much marketing bullshit, so little important details so far.

If the nonpatched game just updates the visuals and my character still reacts slowly to input = chocolate radiator !

I want to play current gen games at 60 FPS with he whole game running at that speed, fluid controls polled every frame and animations of movement to my inputs that react like a 60 FPS game.
Are you talking about input timing on interpolated frames? If so, I expect this to work similarly to the Xbox One X Enhanced 360 games (Force Unleashed, Final Fantasy XIII, etc.). In that they run and control like native 60fps games.

geordiemp

Are you talking about input timing on interpolated frames? If so, I expect this to work similarly to the Xbox One X Enhanced 360 games (Force Unleashed, Final Fantasy XIII, etc.). In that they run and control like native 60fps games.

Input and control

If the core game is running at 30 FPS, that cannot happen can it ?

You can poll the controller as fast as you want, but if the character only moves every 32 ms to player input, whats the point ?

Even if you interpolate. the character can only change direction or jump / slide / roll as a 30 FPS game input.

No a 30 FPS running game no matter how much you interpolate will still REACT and control (Play) like a 30 FPS game, just look smoother

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Input and control

You can poll the controller as fast as you want, but if the character only moves every 32 ms to player input, whats the point ?

Even if you interpolate. the character can only change direction or jump / slide / roll as a 30 FPS game input.
smoof motions my fren smoof motions..

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Input and control

No a 30 FPS running game no matter how much you interpolate will still REACT and control (Play) like a 30 FPS game, just look smoother
MOdern games are not coded in this manner, most often they are using time deltas and player input is pooled at FPS frequency.

geordiemp

smoof motions my fren smoof motions..

I hope gamers pressure devs to up the game to run properly at 60 FPS. What a waste of time FFS.

MOdern games are not coded in this manner, most often they are using time deltas and player input is pooled at FPS frequency.

So we need to know if your controls are polled and character REACTS immediately every 16 ms or less, to that input..

If the character has a 30 FPS type reaction to input, its pointless.

Hopefully enough games on current gen have a performance mode. and are made to CONTROL faster..it makes all the difference.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I hope gamers pressure devs to up the game to run properly at 60 FPS. What a waste of time FFS.

So we need to know if your controls are polled and character REACTS immediately every 16 ms or less, to that input..

If the character has a 30 FPS type reaction to input, its pointless.

Hopefully enough games on current gen have a performance mode. and are made to CONTROL faster..it makes all the difference.
Why would it waited longer? If they are polled, let say at 60hz if it runs on 60fps. There is not really a way where it would be hardcoded, that it should poll every 33ms.

Top Bottom