• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 |OT| Rage Your Dreams

Backflip

I'm still in Haruka's chapter and I realize that I picked up almost every locker key (only 7 left to find). Is there a way to share that with Akiyama later of am I screwed?

hamchan

I'm still in Haruka's chapter and I realize that I picked up almost every locker key (only 7 left to find). Is there a way to share that with Akiyama later of am I screwed?

The locker keys are shared, just don't open any of the lockers with Haruka and you should be fine.

Backflip

The locker keys are shared, just don't open any of the lockers with Haruka and you should be fine.

I forgot to mention that I opened the lockers. It's not really logical to let Haruka pick up the keyes if she can't do anything with what's inside.

Peff

I forgot to mention that I opened the lockers. It's not really logical to let Haruka pick up the keyes if she can't do anything with what's inside.

I think you can share in the post-game clean up mode, the thing is that the only way to create a save for NG+ is when finishing the game, so anything you do after beating the final boss doesn't carry over. But if you don't care about the EX-Hard trophy it shouldn't matter.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Its not a perfect English guide (as its Google translated from Japanese) but this is still the best guide available (in my opinion) for Yakuza 5:

https://translate.google.com/transla...com/ryu5-wiki/

I had to resort to a guide to find the last couple of map bits as well, I'll probably have to do the same for the locker keys...
I never checked, but did ThePatrick stop writing Yakuza guides? His were the best.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I've kind of cooled off on the game a lot lately. It might continues the 'odd numbered Yakuza' trend for me. Haruka's chapter just drags and drags and I don't think Akiyama improves things any. Kiryu's chapter starts alright but the overall stroy is just really tropey, even by Yakuza standards. The first half of Saejima's is terrible and the second half is pretty good.

I haven't gotten to the new guy yet, so I'm hopeful about new characters. But yeah this idol shit is just dull. The drama is extra dull and Akiyama is a boredom sandwich on top. I liked Haruka's side missions with her school friends a lot more than the main story for her segment. Mind could change later though, but I've already hit the big 'conflict' and it's still doing nothing for me on this particular chapter.

Damn Mahjong, difficulty seems pretty brutal. I had one decent match at the beginning then got trounced twice (hard difficulty seems impossible, everyone declaring Riichi before you have a chance to blink). Ishin and 0 seemed to have the difficulty turned down, as I had far less problems winning on both.

I never checked, but did ThePatrick stop writing Yakuza guides? His were the best.

I'm not sure. He did up to Yakuza 4 I think but I've not seen him around lately :( Its a pity as his Kenzan! guide was instrumental in me playing through that game.

cj_iwakura

Finally started Saejima. Never saw anything for Kiryu's Revelations even though I did all his sidequests. Oh well.

Saejima was in prison for a decade+. Yeesh, how much more 'burning' does he need?

cj_iwakura

Wow, the budget through the hostess segments must have gone through the roof. They're mad detailed now. And they look far more attractive too, the ones in the older games looked kind of unnatural.

Astarte

Wow these bullet/gun shenanigans are getting really stupid. Like really REALLY stupid. It's not as stupid as 4, but oh man.
What's going to happen if the subtitles suddenly cut off? Will they attempt to stop the suspect before he pulls out a gun? WHO KNOWS?

Finally started Saejima. Never saw anything for Kiryu's Revelations even though I did all his sidequests. Oh well.

Saejima was in prison for a decade+. Yeesh, how much more 'burning' does he need?

That tripe speech was something else. It certainly made me think that Saejima had no idea what the hell he was doing.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm not sure. He did up to Yakuza 4 I think but I've not seen him around lately :( Its a pity as his Kenzan! guide was instrumental in me playing through that game.
His guides were great, particularly his subquest guides. I guess that's not a problem since they are easier to find now though.

ZeroX03

Banned
Lent my friend my PS3 so he could play. I hadn't started it yet. He made me play the opening at his house. Now I'm really regretting lending it to him before I played. Immediately felt a big jump between this and the past two titles.

MYeager

Wow these bullet/gun shenanigans are getting really stupid. Like really REALLY stupid. It's not as stupid as 4, but oh man.
What's going to happen if the subtitles suddenly cut off? Will they attempt to stop the suspect before he pulls out a gun? WHO KNOWS?

That tripe speech was something else. It certainly made me think that Saejima had no idea what the hell he was doing.

Don't question Zen Hulk. You wouldn't like him when he gets philosophical.

so I bought this game again on my cousin's Ps3 since sony won't allow me to log in and download it under my own PsN.

Anyone wanna tell me why in the hell it's gonna take 441 minutes to download/install?

cj_iwakura

Don't question Zen Hulk. You wouldn't like him when he gets philosophical.

I kind of like the philosophical vibe in Y5, it seems the theme of the game is 'what do we do next?', although they're all people who were at the top and seem to be discontent with it, so who knows.

Man, I really like the concept of the manzai minigame but its implementation just doesn't work. The whole thing pivots around using the textbox to gauge how far into the line your partner is so you can time your response right as it ends, and that's just not possible without memorization when you're hearing the Japanese and reading the localized English text. It needs some kind of timing meter or indicator as to where in his line your partner currently is. I mean, all in all I enjoyed it, and even managed to get the final round second try, but it could just be
so much more

I was looking forward to the Haruka part a lot, but I'm honestly liking it even more than I thought I would. There's definitely some dumb story and writing stuff, and yeah they could maybe afford to throw in another performance song or two
even if i still haven't gotten tired of so much more lol
, but it feels like there's a lot more variety to sidequests compared to "go to place, beat up dude".

MYeager

I kind of like the philosophical vibe in Y5, it seems the theme of the game is 'what do we do next?', although they're all people who were at the top and seem to be discontent with it, so who knows.

All the games are fairly strong thematically. I don't see this one What Do We Do Next as much as making sure a person understands what their dream is and doing whatever it takes to accomplish that. Last game was about second chances, this seems to be about making the most of what chances you have. I'd imagine Y6 is going to be about leaving a legacy.

Y5 ranked second for PS3 game (behind MGSV) and third for best digital game (behind Rocket League and Life is Strange) on the PSblog Awards. I'd say that's pretty impressive given that it was only released in December.

I've kind of cooled off on the game a lot lately. It might continues the 'odd numbered Yakuza' trend for me. Haruka's chapter just drags and drags and I don't think Akiyama improves things any. Kiryu's chapter starts alright but the overall stroy is just really tropey, even by Yakuza standards. The first half of Saejima's is terrible and the second half is pretty good.

I haven't gotten to the new guy yet, so I'm hopeful about new characters. But yeah this idol shit is just dull. The drama is extra dull and Akiyama is a boredom sandwich on top. I liked Haruka's side missions with her school friends a lot more than the main story for her segment. Mind could change later though, but I've already hit the big 'conflict' and it's still doing nothing for me on this particular chapter.

im in roughly the same spot and your experience mirrors mine--the utter disregard of pacing has turned the game into a chore. hoping zero is different.

Megauap

Y5 ranked second for PS3 game (behind MGSV) and third for best digital game (behind Rocket League and Life is Strange) on the PSblog Awards. I'd say that's pretty impressive given that it was only released in December.

Came to post this, also here is an image:

FDVz8xq.png

So good!

Go_Ly_Dow

Finished the game. I saw complaints about the ending, but personally loved it.

I hope that in Yakuza 6
it once again focuses on Okinawa and the orphanage and not just straight crime stuff again. Would be nice to see where Haruka and Kiryu go from here.

hamchan

Finished the game. I saw complaints about the ending, but personally loved it.

I hope that in Yakuza 6
it once again focuses on Okinawa and the orphanage and not just straight crime stuff again. Would be nice to see where Haruka and Kiryu go from here.

It's about time for some of those other orphans to grow up I reckon. Maybe make one of them playable.

Go_Ly_Dow

Rewatching the ending again it really is quite beautiful.

Haruka's situation may be seen as simple idol fluff by some, but at its conclusion its quite deep! The theme of chasing your dreams and all that comes with it was done very well in this game.

It's about time for some of those other orphans to grow up I reckon. Maybe make one of them playable.

Definitely Coop.

Started Akiyama's part of the game now. I've missed how awesome his fighting style is when you start leveling him up. His red heat move is probably my favourite of the characters, I love chaining long aerial kick combo's together, he's got a few badass heat moves at his disposal as well.

i am 100% down for a taichi pro wrestling storyline

Same here. For some reason (probably his side story in Y3) he's probably my favourite of the orphans (not counting Haruka). I'd be down with him appearing again in a future title.

The
stand-up comedy routine
with Haruka D: It's seemingly impossible for me to get beyond 60 even with the solution. Oh well, never mind.

Funniest moment so far:
Akiyama dance battle
! xD I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I kept expecting something would happen which would make him pull out of it, (other than my refusing it) but he went ahead with it! Amazing stuff.

The
stand-up comedy routine
with Haruka D: It's seemingly impossible for me to get beyond 60 even with the solution. Oh well, never mind.

Funniest moment so far:
Akiyama dance battle
! xD I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I kept expecting something would happen which would make him pull out of it, (other than my refusing it) but he went ahead with it! Amazing stuff.

I finally got 81 on my 7th attempt. You have to be very quick and select an answer when he's done speaking.

By the way, is Haruka playable in Premium aventure mode ? Because I've read somewhere that if I didn't do all her side quest in chapter 3 I won't be able to do so in the end game.

I finally got 81 on my 7th attempt. You have to be very quick and select an answer when he's done speaking.

By the way, is Haruka playable in Premium aventure mode ? Because I've read somewhere that if I didn't do all her side quest in chapter 3 I won't be able to do so in the end game.

Haruka is playable in Premium Adventure, not sure about the side quests question though. I don't remember if I ended up finishing all the side quests before finishing the game. I think the comedy routine counts as a side quest though? I'm fairly certain I did that in premium adventure due to how annoying it was.

hamchan

Be the comedian. Imagine yourself actually doing a comedy act as a tsukkomi. How fast you have to reply to really make it cutting while you whack the other guy on the head. There can't be any gaps where it looks like you're thinking. Then you will achieve the true zen of comedy.

Depends on how you define "end game"

Haruka is only playable until Part 5 Ch. 4... while the 4 protagonists' last playable phase is Part 5 Ch. 5

The reason most people define Part5Ch5 as the "end game" is that it's only from this state that you can carry over data to a new game plus.

Technically you can push on through to Premium Adventure (which is also an "end game" in itself) and have everyone playable... it's just that you can't carry over data from here to a new game plus (which they've fortunately amended in Y0)

Go_Ly_Dow

How does this game compare to Yakuza 5, in terms of story and gameplay?

Do you mean 4?

I would say it's a massive step up from 4.

Many more interesting side characters that are quite fleshed out.

From a gameplay perspective the, volume of locations dwarfs all previous Yakuza games.

Do you mean 4?

I would say it's a massive step up from 4.

Many more interesting side characters that are quite fleshed out.

From a gameplay perspective the, volume of locations dwarfs all previous Yakuza games.

Yes, typo, I did mean 4.

I loved loved loved 4 but somewhere near the middle I felt it started to drag, and I couldn't hype myself to play it. I took a 6 month break then came back and finished it. It sounds like this one has similar pacing problems.

Top Bottom