• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Creator Toshihiro Nagoshi Say’s Nintendo Hardware is For Kids and Teens

killatopak

Sure, but that doesn't make Yakuza a good series
tenor.gif

You don't think there are M rated action games or third person shooters on Switch?
I said Nintendo exclusives. I know they have 3rd party games like Witcher and Doom. My point is the games Nintendo makes, aka the system sellers, they are almost exclusively cutesy kid friendly games. It's not a bad thing. I have a switch and enjoy it, but it's target audience is obvioulsy younger kids.

IMO this is valid for all gaming. Most adults I know don't game.
True, for most men, instead of video gaming they are zonning out with chips/beer on the couch, watching a bunch of sweaty hefty dudes pass a ball around on a feild and smack each other on the ass.

For women they are drinking wine, gossiping and bad mouthing other people, if they game it's candy crush or some social mobile shite.

As a 40 year old, I see this all the time. Its even more frustrating trying to find a date during that is into gaming. Going on facebook dating site, I have only seen one woman put down interest in video games (the person was a cosplaying ho trying to phish for simps to join her "only fans".. lol )

I'll stick to video gaming, and continue to the be the outcast of my gen x generation... nothing new here.

The insecurity and salt in this thread is pathetic.

No matter how you feel about Nintendo one way or the other how does this actually affect YOU? Love Nintendo's output? No problem then since everything they've released in the last 4 years has sold gangbusters so they'll continue to release similar games and you're in the clear.

Don't like their output? Well there are many options out there to chose from, in every genre.

Some of "hate" console wars and in the same breath engage in it.

Grow up (or don't).

he is not wrong.. look at the youtube page

Yeah that's the youtube page though. The thing is the switch is a lot more than just nintendo first party (which is pushed at for kids, for sure).
A sampling of my game list from switch:

Hades
Rebel Galaxy Outlaw
Tropico 6
Shakedown Hawaii
Fire Emblem
Dragon quest 1,2,3, & 11
Final Fantasy 7,8,9,10,10-2, & 12
The witcher 3
Civilization 6
Xcom 2
Bioshock collection
Assassins Creed 3
Assassins Creed 4/Rogue
Y's 8
Valkyria Chronicles 1 and 4
Diablo 3
Dragons Dogma
Baldurs Gate 1/2 - Torment / Icewind Dale
Grandia Collection
Trials of Mana
Xenoblade chronicles
Borderlands 2
Thea
Lumines
Dark Souls
Doom 1,2,3 , and 2016
Zelda Botw
Mario 3d all stars
Everspace
Binding of Issac
Bloodstained
Farming Simulator 2017
Car mechanic simulator
Thief Simulator
Red Faction Guerrilla
Saints Row 3
Sunken City
Resident evil 4
Resident Evil Revelations 2
Fecleal Arbieters mark
Dragon Quest Builders 2
Tales of Vesperia
Shiren the Wanderer
Tangledeep
Immortal Redneck
Streets of Rogue
Road Redemption
Deadly Premonition
Katamari Demacy

Off the top of my head, I know I am missing a ton of indies on here, but yeah, not a very kid friendly list of games, besides mario/zelda and maybe lumines.
The thing is Nintendo doesn't advertise these 3rd party games and nintendo die hards don't really recognize them. To them its all the mainstream crap.
For me the switch was pure gold as I could play vita/3ds type games, pc games and console games on the go, plus a crap ton of indies.

FrostyLemon

What does this prove? That teenagers who grew up playing Pokemon Yellow are buying Switches for their 5 year olds today, who don't own credit cards themselves.

The question doesn't ask who bought the switch, it's asking who in the household wanted it the most.

He is not wrong, but this is not a excuse to not make other games to Switch.

And this by a person who only plays Nintendo platforms.

Yakuza games are not a good fit for Switch not because they are too mature but because they would probably run at single digit frame rates like Deadly Premonition.

I have every Yakuza game that has been released in the west and I love them but I'm not sure what the programmers are doing to make them look and run so poorly even on much stronger hardware than the Switch.

I mean is he wrong? Nintendo is definitely aimed towards kids more so then adults. Their marketing is all about kids and nostalgia on the adult side.

IMO this is valid for any console hardware.

Most of the adults over 20 I know play on PC.
That's funny because most of the "normal" adults (kids/careers/etc) I know play on consoles.

Okay, I don’t really care. The Switch is the most fun I’ve had playing video games since the PS2/GCN/Xbox era.

I enjoy being able to pick up and play games without it feeling like a chore to play video games. I also like the variety and the ability to play classic games for the first time, including some arcade classics. I also like the fact that this is a more family oriented console and I can feel good about introducing my young kids to some quality, lighthearted, and fun video games.

Carna

Banned
It would be interesting if we could get the "kids" or "teenager" version of the yakuza franchise.

tkscz

I'm only here to watch people get mad and then people get mad at the people getting mad and then arguments over a developers opinion on a console aimed for whoever the fuck wants to buy it.

A.Romero

I don't think the age of Switch owners is as important as their purchase patterns. From Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Nintendo_Switch_video_games

You have to go all the way to place number 27 to find Xenoblade and Octopath which could be considered a little more mature. Everything above is Mario, Zelda, Ringfit, etc. So yeah, you have a lot of older people getting Switches but that people are not buying the kind of games Nagoshi makes.

Can't blame the guy.

Breakage

Kind of a dumb thing to say.
You'd expect this kind of outdated view from someone who still calls every game console a “Nintendo” – not from an industry veteran.
The Switch is generally depicted as a entertainment device used by trendy adults. This is the latest advert doing the rounds here in England:

Nagoshi's talking as if Nintendo's image hasn't changed since the N64 era.

iHaunter

I've been saying it on here and get berated. Most of the games are mediocre and childish. I liked BOTW and Smash Ultimate, as my main games before I sold my Switch. Most of the games are for kids. You'll never see a Demon's Souls or Sekiro or God of War from Nintendo. The genres they dip their toes into most of the time are always the same. A new console, same games. I argue BOTW is the only game they did slightly differently.

Last edited:

Woopah

I said Nintendo exclusives. I know they have 3rd party games like Witcher and Doom. My point is the games Nintendo makes, aka the system sellers, they are almost exclusively cutesy kid friendly games. It's not a bad thing. I have a switch and enjoy it, but it's target audience is obvioulsy younger kids.

Ah I understand now, I thought you meant "won't find"in general.

I think a key difference is "kid-friendly" and "kid-specific". The vast majority of Nintendo games are the former.

So yes Switch is "for kids and teens" in the same way as it is "for people in their 30s and 40s". Like the other two consoles it's wide appeal across multiple age groups is a key reason for its success.

MacReady13

I agree, as a Nintendo fan I just can't bother with their hardware. I miss the days of being able to play AAA Nintendo exclusives on powerful machine. There's PC emulation luckily for Switch, but it sucks that Nintendo devs are forced to use the cell-shaded or cartoony style, or else it'll look like shit.

I miss the days of playing games on a Nintendo console when it was able to compete and even beat the competition. That all ended with the Wii and I've never been so disappointed in a company in my life. Nintendo were my childhood, and they have basically tried to prove they aren't competing with Sony/Microsoft by going with fucking weak consoles/handhelds.

Don't get me wrong, Mario and Zelda (and Metroid if they ever decide to release it) are all still A+ classics, but I can only imagine them in 4k, running 60 FPS without any compromises...

A.Romero

Kind of a dumb thing to say.
You'd expect this kind of outdated view from someone who still calls every game console a “Nintendo” – not from an industry veteran.
The Switch is generally depicted as a entertainment device used by trendy adults. This is the latest advert doing the rounds here in England:

Nagoshi's talking as if Nintendo's image hasn't changed since the N64 era.

But what about the games that sell the most on Switch? It doesn't look like it is a great platform for games like Yakuza.

Miles708

Nintendo is a family-friendly brand.
Its PR carefully focuses on it being a family-friendly brand.
Their brands are all family-friendly.
Basically every million-seller on the console is a family-friendly brand.
Gamers flock to Nintendo for their beloved new and historic family-friendly brands.

Industry veteran says Nintendo is, all things considered, a family-friendly brand.
Everyone melts.

Last edited:

Breakage

But what about the games that sell the most on Switch? It doesn't look like it is a great platform for games like Yakuza.
Those classic Nintendo franchises are always gonna do big numbers though. But that doesn't mean the Switch is a console for kids. I'm not even a big Nintendo fan (my last Nintendo console was a GameCube), but I just think this “Nintendo consoles are for kids” rhetoric has very little meaning these days. Almost all of the TV adverts that I've seen for the Switch this year have featured trendy 20-30something adults. That advert I posted, an advert featuring an older couple, and an Animal Crossing advert featuring a bunch of older teens are all currently on rotation here in England:

If the Switch was really primarily aimed at children, Nintendo wouldn't market the console in this way.

A.Romero

Those classic Nintendo franchises are always gonna do big numbers though. But that doesn't mean the Switch is a console for kids. I'm not even a big Nintendo fan (my last Nintendo console was a GameCube), but I just think this “Nintendo consoles are for kids” rhetoric has very little meaning these days. Almost all of the TV adverts that I've seen for the Switch this year have featured trendy 20-30something adults. That advert I posted, an advert featuring an older couple, and an Animal Crossing advert featuring a bunch of older teens are all currently on rotation here in England:

If the Switch was really primarily aimed at children, Nintendo wouldn't market the console in this way.

Would you say that a more precise statement would be "Switch players come from all ages but prefer to play games that do not contain mature themes"?

Breakage

Would you say that a more precise statement would be "Switch players come from all ages but prefer to play games that do not contain mature themes"?
Nah I disagree. It's not as if all of these older teens and adults buying Switches have an aversion to violence and mature themes. It's the low number of mature games on the platform that make it look as if Switch players can't handle mature themes.

Top Bottom