• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Creator Toshihiro Nagoshi Say’s Nintendo Hardware is For Kids and Teens

A.Romero

Nah I disagree. It's not as if all of these older teens and adults buying Switches have an aversion to violence and mature themes. It's the low number of mature games on the platform that make it look as if Switch players can't handle mature themes.

Considering sales numbers, what are the top games that have been released to Switch, have had mature themes and have sold well enough to merit a port? (I don't own a Switch so I don't really know, my only reference is the wiki page I posted earlier and sales from the Wii era).

Mabdia

Nintendo is censoring too (Tokyo mirage sessions).

One thing is you censor your 1st party studio's work (and Sony does not do that). It's wrong, but not even close to what Sony is doing with a lot of 3rd party japanese studios.

Look at this:

NSFW (i guess).

mcjmetroid

I'm sorry but saying Nintendo games are for kids is seriously old by now.

We've been hearing this for 40 years.

Nintendo is for kids and teens the same way as Pixar films are for kids and teens.

Yes you can say they're aimed at kids primarily but the difference is they've got something for everyone in their movies.

Nintendo games can be enjoyed by everyone as well in the same way.

It isn't hard to understand. Some people believe it or not prefer games that focus primarily on gameplay and I'm one of them.

Go figure.

Breakage

Considering sales numbers, what are the top games that have been released to Switch, have had mature themes and have sold well enough to merit a port? (I don't own a Switch so I don't really know, my only reference is the wiki page I posted earlier and sales from the Wii era).
I don't know either. Ports of mature games that are available on more powerful systems are never gonna sell well. A compelling mature exclusive that takes advantage of the Switch's unique characteristics would be better. But as far as I'm aware no developer has really done that. Most of the Switch's mature games have been ports of Gen 7 and Gen 8 games.

carlosrox

Banned
I found nothing that insulting from the quote, because it's true.

I'm not insulted, it's just a dumb, non-thing to say. If they have many adult fans, which they do, how is it a console "for" kids and teens?

Nintendo appeals to all ages. You just need to let go of your insecurities to be comfortable with liking Nintendo.

Insert C.S Lewis quote here.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
The hardware is weak, but the system is by far the most functional pure gaming thing one can buy. If Nintendo keeps iterating on this eventually it be good enough.

It's a better second platform to the PC than the traditional consoles.

Inanilmaz

One thing is you censor your 1st party studio's work (and Sony does not do that). It's wrong, but not even close to what Sony is doing with a lot of 3rd party japanese studios.

Look at this:

NSFW (i guess).

2d2.png

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
If it wasn't for all of the indies and ports of older great games I would say YES. Most of Nintendo's game output are definitely for kids. I cannot think of one for adults. Sure adults can enjoy but mostly for kids.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I'm sorry but the giant success of Animal Crossing completely validates this take.

Shaqazooloo

I don't know either. Ports of mature games that are available on more powerful systems are never gonna sell well. A compelling mature exclusive that takes advantage of the Switch's unique characteristics would be better. But as far as I'm aware no developer has really done that. Most of the Switch's mature games have been ports of Gen 7 and Gen 8 games.
Mortal Kombat 11 has been said to have been very successful on Switch and Witcher 3 had sold close to a million units earlier in the year (released October 2019).

Edit: Witcher 3 sold 700,000 units in 2019 (2 months)

Last edited:

Metabaron

Neo Member
I'd argue Nintendo's consoles are a classic case of a product with an enormous periphery demographic. Their consoles and games are mostly designed with kids and teens in mind, but their quality is such that an enormous portion of their consumers do not fit within that age range. They seem to have accepted that, too; just look at how the Switch is actually the best console for a certain brand of uncensored japanese game.

In any case, it doesn't make much sense for Toshihiro to not release his games on the Switch. It is one of the most successful consoles on the market.

Last edited:

Senhua

He is kinda right as Nintendo bread and butter are always games with designed to be appeal for all ages and family friendly (low rating, violence etc) which sadly not my thing as I prefer more serious one.
I'm only bought Genei IbunRoku♯FE Encore , Xeno remaster and HW: AoC this year.

Seriously considering to drop Nintendo after this if they keep focused only on that kind of game, as I don't buy consoles only to play several games as I prefer to get all their interesting third party on PC.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Their consoles and games are mostly designed with kids and teens in mind
No, they're designed for Everyone, games and toys aimed directly at children have far more juvenile design and do not offer much appeal to older folks with reviews clearly centered around the appeal and/or benefits for children alone.

It's not only by quality, it's by design. Nintendo has several primarily for kids products like Labo as well and, quality products as they also are, you don't see many adults singing their praises for anyone but the children of the household.

The Labo vehicles kit is a barebones and simplistic game with little to challenge and satisfy an adult with given their experience with meatier racing/flying/sandbox/whatever games, but for a young child that sees the wonder in the process, learning how it works (we already know at least roughly how shit works with some insight in game development) and then driving/flying/whatever it's on a whole different level, so when an adult says it's well made and all that, that's clearly the target audience they have in mind rather than themselves and other adults. Similar for other Labo kits too.

Kinda like the popular pixar movies made for everyone vs strictly for kids shows no adult spends time with, like whatever is today's equivalent of teletubbies or that pink dinosaur thing, I forget its name, or lazytown and such. Their quality here would be if they can keep the kids, not me, engaged and entertained while not giving them any wrong signals so as to be considered safe by all parents. And their inability to keep me entertained wouldn't mean they're not quality products of their own, for their audience. obviously. Nintendo is clearly in the former category usually.

By Everyone I clearly don't mean the rating here, all it takes to get that rating is the themes and safety, we're talking game design. And Teens is hardly a great descriptor, since that can include what, adults of 18 and 19 years old. Do you not play the same genres you did back then? Does a teenage boy not see the joy of Yakuza's gravure model boobies and spend far more time in the relevant mini games than an adult might be inclined to do on top of the blockbuster action that's not unlike films they're free to watch? Yakuza being M/AO by pc standards doesn't mean much, it's teen heaven.

And lol as if Sony doesn't market to teens but to adults. They've been going after teens since the original PS1 and continue to do so most heavily. And Yakuza itself does the same and even had a PSP game out. It so happens some of those early teens are now older, still attracted to that stuff.

Last edited:

Senhua

No, they're designed for Everyone, games and toys aimed directly at children have far more juvenile design and do not offer much appeal to older folks with reviews clearly centered around the appeal and/or benefits for children alone.
Everyone rated games need designed to be kid and teen friendly so that kind of games have specific design (low violence etc) which usually only attracted casual gamers but Yakuza clearly designed for "non" casual adult gamers in mind so I kinda agree with Nagoshi-san for this one.

Last edited:
Of course Nintendo is for kids. You can't even get a proper friends system on the Switch because they are afraid kids might get into "stranger danger".

Its like how Harry Potter, Transformers, Hunger Games, etc are all aimed at kids but plenty of "adults" glom on to that content as well.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Hunger Games is for Young Adults by design (which basically also means teens, just like PlayStation has aimed for since its inception).

Last edited:

Humdinger

Screen%20Shot%202017-10-31%20at%2015_08_06.png

That's interesting. Thanks for introducing some data to the thread. So, the average age of Switch purchasers looks to be about 29, give or take a few years. In comparison, a quick Google for average age of videogamer returns a result of 35.

So that would mean the average Switch owner is a little younger than the average gamer, but only by about 5 or 6 years. It's not kids vs. adults. The average is more like 29 vs. 35.

Neo_game

He is probably right. Nintendo games are not only good for kids but anyone who is not into gaming much. They probably have most female gamers as well ? I think their next console is also going to be hybrid at best. They are more into handhelds so specs wise it is not going to anything exciting.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

Of course Nintendo is for kids. You can't even get a proper friends system on the Switch because they are afraid kids might get into "stranger danger".

Its like how Harry Potter, Transformers, Hunger Games, etc are all aimed at kids but plenty of "adults" glom on to that content as well.
Says the guy with an avatar of a cartoon.

Cartoons are for kids. Didn't you know.

Mobilemofo

It's true. After SNES.mortal Kombat, they changed forever..that's why I left Nintendo. Didnt wanna.play kids games and more censored games..

manfestival

Nintendo is for kids and teens the same way as Pixar films are for kids and teens.

Yes you can say they're aimed at kids primarily but the difference is they've got something for everyone in their movies.

Nintendo games can be enjoyed by everyone as well in the same way.

It isn't hard to understand. Some people believe it or not prefer games that focus primarily on gameplay and I'm one of them.

Go figure.
I am with you! I feel the same way about Fisher Price. Saying Fisher Price is for kids is seriously old now.
People have been saying this for like 80 years. Fisher Price is for kids the same way Pixar films are for kids.
Fisher Price can be enjoyed by everyone as well in the same way.
It isn't hard to understand. Some people believe it or not prefer toys that focus primarily on fun.

mcjmetroid

I am with you! I feel the same way about Fisher Price. Saying Fisher Price is for kids is seriously old now.
People have been saying this for like 80 years. Fisher Price is for kids the same way Pixar films are for kids.
Fisher Price can be enjoyed by everyone as well in the same way.
It isn't hard to understand. Some people believe it or not prefer toys that focus primarily on fun.
Hey if you can enjoy fisher price toys hats off to you.

McCarth

I mean, so are the games, so what's the big deal? Zelda is a perfect example of one of their franchises that they could mature if they really wanted to, but they're just not interested.

And that's A-ok.

TheGrat1

Kind of a dumb thing to say.
You'd expect this kind of outdated view from someone who still calls every game console a “Nintendo” – not from an industry veteran.
The Switch is generally depicted as a entertainment device used by trendy adults. This is the latest advert doing the rounds here in England:

Nagoshi's talking as if Nintendo's image hasn't changed since the N64 era.

And lightbeer commercials make it seem like the only people consuming their product are very attractive people aged 21 to 35 hanging out in clubs and picking up chicks. When in reality it is mostly guys with huge guts plinking cans in their backyard with a .22.

Children do not have the money to buy switches, of course they advertise to adults.

MiguelItUp

I mean, it's more than fine to love Nintendo. Hell, a part of me always will because of my history with them. But to ignore the fact that they cater to a certain demographic is silly, lol. He's not wrong to some degree.

That being said, give me a new Wario Land damnit!

Last edited:

Breakage

And lightbeer commercials make it seem like the only people consuming their product are very attractive people aged 21 to 35 hanging out in clubs and picking up chicks. When in reality it is mostly guys with huge guts plinking cans in their backyard with a .22.

Children do not have the money to buy switches, of course they advertise to adults.
Omitting children from adverts for a device that is supposedly primarily aimed at children doesn't make sense. Look at the Switch's reveal trailer:

Not a single N64 kid is featured. They are all young trendy types in their late teens and 20s. The advert's got more in common with an advert from Samsung or Microsoft.

Enzo88

Premise: I live in Japan and speak/work in Japanese.

His answer is more nuanced than that headline and his tone is not disparaging in the least.

It`s click bait and it`s sad if this type of stuff is gonna push Japanese developer to release less interviews, which is my fear if this type of bs blows up on the internet.

synce

I'm an adult and the only console I own is a Switch, this dude just sounds bitter over the fact his Yakuza rehashes didn't sell well on Wii U, a console no one even bought.

hemo memo

Gold Member
As I get older when I hear something like this I actually take it as a compliment because yes I like my mature story heavy games but sometimes you just want a lighthearted fun kids games to play and enjoy. It is healthy for the industry. It is not an insult.

Also Sackboy is awesome don’t miss it.

Last edited:

Caio

Not only for kids and teens, also for families with kids and adults suffering from peter pan syndrome :D

Dunki

I'm not insulted, it's just a dumb, non-thing to say. If they have many adult fans, which they do, how is it a console "for" kids and teens?

Nintendo appeals to all ages. You just need to let go of your insecurities to be comfortable with liking Nintendo.

Insert C.S Lewis quote here.
But they do not sell. He is right mature long story telling games just do not work on a Nintendosystem because they do not sell in Japan especially. Witcher 3 was an exception to all other more mature and story heavy games on the system.

Miles708

Premise: I live in Japan and speak/work in Japanese.

His answer is more nuanced than that headline and his tone is not disparaging in the least.

It`s click bait and it`s sad if this type of stuff is gonna push Japanese developer to release less interviews, which is my fear if this type of bs blows up on the internet.

This is a relevant comment.

Thirty7ven

Banned

But... they are. Yes adults can also have fun watching Moana, but that’s because they want parents to enjoy the movie too. But the primary target audience of the movie are children.

Last edited:

Cyborg

I wish Nintendo would make a Zelda/Smash game with more realistic graphics instead of those ''kiddy'' designs.
Still they are a lot of fun but it remains my 2nd console for specific Nintendo games.

Top Bottom