• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoko Taro (Nier Automata) Addresses the 2B butt controversy

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Not that I agree with Taro here, despite really liking his games, but calling everyone who either disagrees with you or has an anime avatar a GG is pretty shitty.
Lime looked it up and found that this was literally started by a GG and spread by his community. No one here is calling anyone who disagrees a GG.

I played through the demo and didn't even know this was a thing. I thought her design was cool.

It is certainly more stylish than what we see in most other games, no doubt. I've voiced some concern about 2B's design, though I'm actually not too worried about it, as I've said elsewhere.

But since I recall from a recent thread that you find new Lara Croft to be praiseworthy from a design/characterization point of view (see here and here), for being "never weak and feminine but never sexualised", I'd be interested to hear more of your thoughts on 2B's design (and apparent characterization, based on the demo).

Yep, context is quite important in general, even for the "obvious" stuff. Not a fan of going out of my way to criticize something i haven't played. At least not vocally; I'd keep any concerns I had to myself, rather than get into any debates/arguments on the internet. Unless I have full knowledge/context of what I'm discussing or criticizing, then I'd be prone to potentially looking stupid.

If you say you don't like something that means you want it banned.
Just messing with you.

I always side with the devs on these kind of issues but I also think people have the right speak up if they see something wrong.

...There's really nothing wrong with respectfully discussing about this, really.

Yeah, I'm not sure that having this conversation is such a bad thing, regardless of what perspective you take on the issue. I do sense that there are fears about having this kind of conversation, but I also think that those fears are misguided.

UrbanRats

A bunch of GGs creating a false controversy. Actually it's pretty telling how many people are willing to fall for it and place the blame on the same boogeyman though while unironically praising a creator who's just as misinformed about the "controversy" and it's origins as they are.
He was joking, but sure...

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Eh, these posts are kinda annoying, as if y'all want to start something or get something off your chest lol

It's okay for me to say this, this is a manga avatar ;D

Lmao

Not fucking with anyone who has a pudding avatar ;]

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Look how much shitposting putting attractive females in your game producers.

Games should be all male, or preferably, those Tofu blocks from resident evil 2.

Meguro

Banned
Lime looked it up and found that this was literally started by a GG and spread by his community. No one here is calling anyone who disagrees a GG.

My bad, I read the post you quoted and assumed you were talking about the same people that said post was talking about with regards to applauding Taro etc.

What most of us can criticism in unity is stuff like Kojima's creation of Quiet and way in which he framed it. Not because skin makes us run for the hills, but he lied and was dishonest. That's more immature than being upfront that you like sex/sexuality and it's going to be in your game.
Actually, he was upfront saying the design was partly meant for sexy cosplay, and his "ashamed of words and deeds" was a response to a large spectrum of tweets ranging from inquiries to accusations, while trying to remain vague to promote his game without revealing too much backstory, while also typing in something other than his primary language.

But no, the socially sanctimonious narrative has somehow deemed that Kojima (yet somehow not Shinkawa) as someone shy and prone to subterfuge about character designs that incorporate sexuality, something which has never been the case about any of his games in the past.

Gattsu25

Banned
"There's too much perceived shitposting in this thread. I know, I'll make my own shitpost".
cqrPQHd.jpg

Dmax3901

Haven't been following this 100% but the creator of a super sexualised character responding to complaints by saying "send me all the sexy fan art" is kinda not on.

Crossing Eden

"There's too much perceived shitposting in this thread. I know, I'll make my own shitpost".
You know what's funny is a lot of the shitposts are about what people think people would prefer
"no one will be happy unless every woman is dressed like Hillary Clinton"

along with the post you quoted. Surprisingly burqas haven't been mentioned.

Yeah, I'm not sure that having this conversation is such a bad thing, regardless of what perspective you take on the issue. I do sense that there are fears about having this kind of conversation, but I also think that those fears are misguided.
A bit of an understatement as the fear is that no one will ever be attractive in games ever again, otherwise known as something something burqas, prudes, and you just don't like butts.

Audioboxer

Actually, he was upfront saying the design was partly meant for sexy cosplay, and his "ashamed of words and deeds" was a response to a large spectrum of tweets ranging from inquiries to accusations, while trying to remain vague to promote his game without revealing too much backstory, while also typing in something other than his primary language.

But no, the socially sanctimonious narrative has somehow deemed that Kojima (yet somehow not Shinkawa) as someone shy and prone to subterfuge about character designs that incorporate sexuality, something which has never been the case about any of his games in the past.

I wouldn't say that, MGS has had a lot of sexual content all throughout it. Quiet was just the perfect storm and ultimately ended up being a pretty poorly written character. I'd say if all the helicopter shit hadn't been in the game there would be a bit less eye-rolling.

As for cosplay, it is what it is, people can dress how they want as long as it's all legal wherever you are. I will say there is probably a tiny bit of irony in that I seriously doubt some of those who go after nudity in EVERY game rather than taking a somewhat more objective approach to adult content will probably never be running up to cosplayers and finger-pointing and/or telling them they need to tone it back... It's almost as if most of us can accept sexuality kind of goes hand-in-hand with being human! Diversity in gaming is what is healthy, so there is experiences for all types of gamers, not unity so every game is the same. Largely gaming does still have some diversity issues as there are still lots of male orientated slants on content, and we know for a fact publishers and developers still act immature about female leads. And yes over sexualisation is and can still be a problem, but nuance, barking up the tree at something like Nier given it's small fanbase, honest dev and devs history with content just seems like spreading the net too wide to try and simply attack sex/nudity, rather than blatantly out of place pandering.

Battlechili

Banned
This guy is quickly climbing my list of top creators.
He wasn't already?
Nier and Drakengard have some of the most well thought out characters and stories, and the general lore of the overarching universe (or universes) is comparable to that of some of the largest worlds in gaming. Few games are as well written as his titles, I would argue.
It just took a few tries for him to improve his games in the gameplay department.
Yes i'm aware. Again, much better ways to do this than having a character designed like this:
SO5mjB1.jpg
I think her clothing fits her personality. She was extremely blunt and aggressive in how she spoke with others; its not surprising her clothing would display a similar level of bluntness and aggressiveness. And having
almost no family
, she likely had little help in picking her attire growing up. Her grandmother being her grandmother probably didn't help anything either. Probably the least grandparent-y grandparent a person could have (whilst still loving her). Its also worth keeping in mind that her general personality made it to where she had trouble interacting with other people, even shop owners.

I don't deny that there's probably intentional sexualization here, but I don't think its unfitting for her character either, nor do I think the intentional sexualization is necessarily a bad or harmful thing.

killatopak

Gold Member
Not that this game will sell enough for any of this to matter one way or the other anyways.

On the contrary I think this game will sell really well. There's a number of reasons why. First it's a platinum game so there's surely lots of fans checking it out just becauase of that. Story and music should be ace because of yoko and keiichi okabe who made nier win gaming ost of the year on the same year ffxiii got released. There's a lot of exposure due to the demo and gaming channels are flooded with the demo playthrough and most if not all are positive. There's more reasons for it do well than not.

Can you give examples then?

I agree that there may be better ways but at the very least it conforms to you asking if there's a reasonable and contextual reason as to why she looks the way she does as well as the anti-cliche thing yoko is going for.

LotusHD

Banned
The anime avatar thing is the lamest thing anybody can bring up Nd says more about you when in a debate than anything else

It truly is, but I'm beginning to get used to it nowadays lol

Huh? I didn't say having it is a bad thing. Just that I'm the type of person where if I'm going to go all in on criticizing something (i.e. 2B's outfit in this instance), I'd prefer to have to have played the game/have the full context. Because last thing I want is to potentially look dumb, to be that guy that criticizes on instinct rather than taking each design case-by-case. So after that has happened, then I'll make my final judgments. But with that being said, I don't have any issue with being not liking the design, feeling its problematic, etc. Just that if they're going to fully delve into this without having playing the game, then I disagree with that somewhat. But to each their own I suppose.

Not fucking with anyone who has a pudding avatar ;]

You got me there.

sjay1994

So apparently in this thread having an anime avatar means you are a neo-nazi or a gamergater?

What the fuck is this? Avatar stereotyping?

killatopak

Gold Member
Im sorry but this is the funniest post in this thread, and Im saying that as a Platinum fan

I'm talking about exposure. Surely more people have heard of platinum games compared to cavia. The name of the developer should make it easier for people to be attracted to the game.

Dargor

Am I anime avatar trash too? Not sure tbh since it's from a game

Anime avatar shit trash is a state of mind man. You don't just put an anime avatar and you're set.

Gotta work for it. You need to focus and persevere through the hardships before finally achieving illumination.

zethren

Banned
lol, indeed.

That being said, this has a good chance of being the best selling PlatinumGames game, but yeah, I doubt it sets the world on fire sales-wise.

I've definitely been promoting it amongst my group. I feel like this game will live or die by word of mouth.

Here's hoping that it sells well, I think it's going to be fantastic.

...So after that has happened, then I'll make my final judgments. But with that being said, I don't have any issue with being not liking the design, feeling its problematic, etc. Just that if they're going to fully delve into this without having playing the game, then I disagree with that somewhat. But to each their own I suppose...

Sure, though worthwhile conversations can certainly take place without final judgments, with each person tentatively delving into the subject, based on the information available.

Crossing Eden

Can you give examples then?

I agree that there may be better ways but at the very least it conforms to you asking if there's a reasonable and contextual reason as to why she looks the way she does as well as the anti-cliche thing yoko is going for.
If you wanna see an excellent example of addressing a character who's trans, watch the show Transparent. Very well done. You see the thing with sexualization and just having a few characters comment on it is that so often that character just gets added to the pile instead of actually doing or saying anything with the critique itself or anything about the issue. And ofc there's the other issue of being yet another example of a character who's written to show off as much skin as possible. Like there are so many examples of clothing with "feminine characteristics" in mind. . It ends up feeling disingenuous, even more so when you add even more to the pile in subsequent games. In fact, they straight up drew concept art that makes more sense in the context of an intersex woman who'd like to be seen wearing feminine outfits to confirm how she perceives herself.

something this conservative would contrast well with the vulgarity of her speech more so than the lingerie imho but they'd have to sacrifice gendered insults based on her outfit choice but i'm hopeful that many people wouldn't take issue with those being removed.

Platy

Haven't played mgsv so I won't comment on that. Iirc Kaine wore those clothes so she can reassure herself and show the other kids that she is actually female. This is because in game she is bullied for having a dick. Yes a dick. She literally has a dick.

And that just isn't the worst explanation for a character sexualization EVER because Quiet exists and "breathing only for your skin" meaning to expose your entire body all the time makes zero sense

killatopak

Gold Member
So was the image real or should I not bother downloading the demo?

Butt hole image is fake and by all means download the demo. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how well made the game is. You can also watch the demo playthrough of countless youtubers who praise it if you don't have the console.

entremet

I'm always conflicted with these.

I'm pretty pro creator, even if I don't agree with their tastes.

I'm also pro feminism.

I don't think Taro is above reproach. But I support his wacky vision as a creator.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
She's not even sexualized.
LOL

Great. People that are offended by the character designs please feel free to play something else.
I'm not offended but I'm tired of sexualized female warriors. So... play something else. Hmmmmm, a Japanese action-RPG without a sexzualized female warrior protagonist?

...Guess I'll play nothing but Dark Souls and Bloodborne. :p

(I actually play other games... sometimes... but man the "play something else" is funny, considering it's exceedingly rare to NOT have a sexed-up doll as female protagonist these days, especially in Japanese games)

You said that he should crawl under a rock. You would be depriving the industry of a progressive voice because he made a silly joke. Do you understand how self-sabotaging that is?
Er... How is he progressive, pray tell?

Good for him.

And why does it seems people are getting more prude every year?

Go play some bible games if you're offended by some bare skin..

yeah..so?

I mean..why does that bother you?
sigh, I can't believe people complain about this.
In the end I guess some will only be happy if women in video games are dressed like Hillary Clinton at all times.
And even then maybe makeup will be part of the sexualization of the characters.
Maybe in the end it's better to only have men in video games... oh no wait, that is also against women.
Man, it's so hard to make video games nowadays.
Great posts e_e
/s

But art reflects real life. It makes only sense that women like that would also appear in games.
Wait what... are you serious? What women in real life, other than in costumed parties or whatnot, are dressed like the Nier robot-woman? o_O

What female combatants IRL are ever dressed like they are shown in video games?

I mean did you seriously just use reality as an argument in favour of these designs?

You can make an argument that they're over represented, but what I'm gathering from the "no agency" argument is that you can never have a sexualised characters because fictional characters can't have agency in their clothing since they're not real.
If your character is in a sex scene, it would make sense to sexualized them. If your character is going on a date and flirting, or attending some party to infiltrate whatever and dressed sexy, then it makes sense to sexualize them. If your character is going to the beach or for a swim... I could go on.

It's never that, though. Showing a female protagonist (not counting those from character creators) kissing, flirting with, or hell, having sex with a male NPC? We can't have that, the boy players are too prudish and will find that icky.

Who are the real prudes, I wonder...

What makes you think it's sad?
I can't speak for them but having played the demo, it was indeed a terrible game.

Top Bottom