• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtuber 'The Completionist' accused of running a fake charity

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I'm not a subscriber, though I have seen a handful of his videos. I'll reserve judgement until more information comes out. The internet is not one to handle news with nuance or care. Hell, even in clear cut instances of good, people will look to find fault in it. Every time Mr. Beast does something charitable, there's nutjobs out there accusing him of some type of ableism or grifting. So, while I don't know this guy and don't know if he's a good or bad dude, excuse me if I don't immediately throw someone under the bus based on a culture that is wired now to respond with outrage first and feed the addiction and algorithm.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I dont understand how someone doing charity for dementia hasnt decided where to send the money. How about a dementia charity?
He never had any intention about donating. A dementia charity office could be across the street. He's not donating any of the contributions.

He's been extracting $10,000 per year for expenses, while letting it build up. And thats doesn't even include whatever interest/gains he gets from that bankroll. He might had used it to buy Nvidia shares doubling it in a personal account. Well see what he does now with it. But if nobody caught this, no doubt at some point he'd just extract all of it for himself closing the charity. The current balance is around $500,000+

Last edited:
If this somehow turns into something and slipped under the radar I'd be surprised. The irs are usually pretty good at these things.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Well, like I said, it's not that complicated, and unlike other youtube "drama" which was about text messages and accusations and shit this is just boring ass tax forms that anyone can look up. I don't know why they decided not to spend the money but none of the potential explanations are any good, as proven by the email that Khalil's brother sent to Jobst proved.

SpiceRacz

bigdad2007

There is A LOT of conjecture in these videos. I hope Karl has some really good proof besides just what he has posted in his video. Because he is going to need a good lawyer if this all ends up being explainable. This has gone beyond just YouTube drama that H3H3 and Jimquistion have managed to skirt slander lawsuits before. Telling your audience to report people to the authorities and more or less saying his ENTIRE family was in on theft is probably going to bite Karl in the ass.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
There is A LOT of conjecture in these videos. I hope Karl has some really good proof besides just what he has posted in his video. Because he is going to need a good lawyer if this all ends up being explainable. This has gone beyond just YouTube drama that H3H3 and Jimquistion have managed to skirt slander lawsuits before. Telling your audience to report people to the authorities and more or less saying his ENTIRE family was in on theft is probably going to bite Karl in the ass.
I did not see the second video but the first one was enough to see that there is a problem. It is easy to go online in a official website and see that the money that should have been donated is still on the association account. And there is videos where we can hear the completionist saying that he had donated when it seems that it is not the case. Karl Jobst allowed him weeks to make things right. I will see the video when I go home from work. Hopefully the tone did not change much from the first video.

i liked the completionist, he was entertaining and i liked the games he played. i can't hate on him for his content. i watched Muta's video on this and I also follow Karl. I am not up to date on this topic for the last week or so of updates but --- idk man charities are a scam, donate directly or just give food / clothes directly to the homeless or shelters. even forgo companies like the red cross and donate blood to other directly (Lol jk)

anyways, a sad situation in general if he did keep that money for many years while claiming his mom is dead (because of an illness) or dying from it.

bigdad2007

I did not see the second video but the first one was enough to see that there is a problem. It is easy to go online in an official website and see that the money that should have been donated is still on the association account. And there is videos where we can hear the completionist saying that he had donated when it seems that it is not the case. Karl Jobst allowed him weeks to make things right. I will see the video when I go home from work. Hopefully the tone did not change much from the first video.
If the money is stolen or gone why still report it as in possession of the foundation? That is the one price of this that doesn’t make sense. It would have been just as easy to report it as donated.

Tangerine

If the money is stolen or gone why still report it as in possession of the foundation? That is the one price of this that doesn’t make sense. It would have been just as easy to report it as donated.
Maybe they started off with good intentions or at least played things safe. As time went on and they got away with it year after year maybe they became more brazen.

Plausible deniability? Looks less damning?

I don't know obviously, but the whole thing is pretty suspect at best and damning/immoral/illegal at worse.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Good question, but then it become the IRS work to verify that it have been donated. And I hope that they can do something as easy as this when the sum is that big.

bigdad2007

Good question, but then it become the IRS work to verify that it have been donated. And I hope that they can do something as easy as this when the sum is that big.
I don’t think your are understanding. There is no documentation of when the money is given other than Open Hand has to show grants over a certain amount.

You can see in the 990’s that the IRS does not actually ever get a breakdown of what each charity gets. It all gets reported as one lump number.

There was nothing stopping whoever filed that form from just saying the money was donated. It would take an IRS audit to find out it wasn’t.

This is like embezzlement, but you don’t actually cover the fact that you stole the money. It makes no sense which has me think there is more to the story.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I don’t think your are understanding. There is no documentation of when the money is given other than Open Hand has to show grants over a certain amount.

You can see in the 990’s that the IRS does not actually ever get a breakdown of what each charity gets. It all gets reported as one lump number.

There was nothing stopping whoever filed that form from just saying the money was donated. It would take an IRS audit to find out it wasn’t.

This is like embezzlement, but you don’t actually cover the fact that you stole the money. It makes no sense which has me think there is more to the story.
I have seen the second video and the accusations are clear. My country IRS work differently: they do our taxes for us for example so I understand that the US way of doing things is different. But if you said that you donated money to someone, and that someone did not said the same to the IRS, there will be problems. That is probably why the first video was not as affirmative as the second one. We now know that there are clear differences between what has been said by the organisation and what happened in real life. If you saw it too, you need to have either insider knowlege or the situation or a complete different way of thinking for defending the completionist. He may be innocent, who knows? But it is clear now that there is a problem in this charity. And we need to stop donating to it until all is clear IMHO.

Tangerine

Only watched the Jobst-videos so far.

tl;dw for this piece?

Erm I watched it last night.

Still silence from completionist. Still no donation to charity.

There was an entire other revenue stream through charity golf sponsorships worth tens of thousands of dollars. Proof big companies paid for the sponsorship tiers too.

No record of any of this in charity filings even though it exists alongside indie world to generate money for the open hand foundation.

Enough evidence that 'the money is missing' video title, holds weight looking at all the evidence imo.

I think he may be fucked if he's presumably being investigated.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
So now it looks like we know where the oddly high expenses listed in the tax form are going - to run the golf tournament. Problem is the money raised by the golf tournament seems to vanish the past few years. This is a crime.

Still silence from completionist. Still no donation to charity.
Well, I think that anyone who thought they were just going to take that $650k and donate it to some org in a flash do not understand what is going on.

And when it says "the money is missing" it's obviously talking about the golf tournament revenue.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member

Mowcno

It seems that the money had finally been donated as promised. Now to see what happen in the next few weeks. Will this be enough?
Some of the money. Still the question of where the money from bits, subs, golf course tournaments etc went. They're not out of the woods by a longshot yet.

OrtizTwelve

One has to ask what is the purpose of this guy and his family having yearly charity events and golf tournaments over a period of several years without any (ZERO) contributions to actual charity and the funds are just sitting in an account.... for several years....

One has to ask what is the purpose of this guy and his family having yearly charity events and golf tournaments over a period of several years without any (ZERO) contributions to actual charity and the funds are just sitting in an account.... for several years....

If I understood the second video correctly, they're taking in more money than they're reporting to the IRS, so this is the scam.

Sgt.Asher

About 100k still unaccounted for. 55k from the 655k "in" the bank account, and about 65k raised from the last indie land.

Portugeezer

It seems that the money had finally been donated as promised. Now to see what happen in the next few weeks. Will this be enough?
They thought people would just forget or what? Strange series of events.

Either way, there are still some unanswered questions which need to be looked into.

KiteGr

Why does it seem like half of all the threads become populated with an obsession with wokeness and/or reset era? Is there a legitimate connection here, or is it just an addiction to bringing up those topics. Cause it seems to crop up like the rats in Plague Tale.
It's the timing.
It's the whole woke phase that is imploding right now.

While at first it was a nice movement, giving some attention to the weak, underrepresented and minorities, it's been used with anything but moderation, to the point of paranoia, dousing us with homosexuals, unlikable Merry Sues and ethnically out of place character, demonizing everything male and white, with the subtlety of a chainsaw and the talent of a monkey, destroying every franchise we ever loved, attempting to re-imagine history, and dismissing anyone who points it out as racist or sexist.

Needless to say, they did more harm than good to the very thing they pretend to be fighting for, and created more enemies than friends of their own consumers.

Gamers, and most other media consuming communities, feel they need to remind everyone every minute they don't need this shit in their media.

Last edited:
That second accusation video seemed very confirmation bias-y to me, like they wanted this to be even bigger than it is. The fact that Jobst monetized it with a goofy ad doesn't make it any better. I think he might have overestimated himself because he had homeruns with WATA and Billy Mitchell, making him too careless here. Ultimately this has only given The Completitionist a welcome excuse to wipe the actual problem under the rug, like he does in the response, and play a tough mofo standing up for his family.

Last edited:

Tangerine

Reckon he can bounce back from this?

Surely he can't be trusted running a charity going forward at the very least :S

I hope the irs are doing an audit. I don't trust him...

Last edited:

Quantum253

If the intention is to donate the funds, what would be the point of holding it if it wasn't to collect interest from it. Or was it a hope that people would just forget they donated months later?

ssringo

Aww yeah. Shit's getting spicy.

Not gonna pretend to understand all the legalities going on but it sounds like certain charities can actually save up donations over time in order to give one big donation for greater impact and that's perfectly legal? That was always what I found fucked up and thought it was wasting the money but hadn't considered one big donation vs several smaller ones spread out over time.

Look forward to further drama!

Top Bottom