• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda has slipped to 2006

I think that Aonuma had mention that voice acting was being considered in some form for Twilight Princess. Maybe they decided to implement it and they need some extra time.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Nintendo is getting so pathetic.

It'll be great for us if it's as good as OoT.

And hell, this just increases my temptation to get X360 at launch. Must...resist...

Ironclad

rahxephon03x said:
I think that Aonuma had mention that voice acting was being considered in some form for Twilight Princess. Maybe they decided to implement it and they need some extra time.
The VA that Aonuma spoke of was the various grunts and yells that Link has during combat and other similar actions. I highly doubt that they are going to fully voice the major characters in the game, and for me, that is the worst reason to dealy. IMO, LoZ does not need voice acting.

Mashing

This thread should be archived for all eternitity just to showcase how pathethic n-bots and nintendo haters truely are. The game has been delayed, deal with it. Troll baiting is so 90's.

Monk

Banned
Why are delays seen as bad things?

I mean would you prefer a half finished game like Wind Waker again? Zelda OoT got delayed so much, but it ened up being good albeit overrated. Sure it dissapoints those who MUST have the game, but personally I like delays. Delays means that the devs actually care if not forcefully done.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
jenov4 said:
Gotta love how people are trying to spin this for Nintendo. Better game? Man, Gamecube is going to get owned this holiday season. I don't think another price drop can even save them. It didn't the last one.
I know this is from hours ago, and I am not responding to this post specifically, but rather this sentiment generally.

How can one not imagine that this will result in a better game? they get 6 more months to work on it, it can only improve the game. That isn't to say it is a good move for the gamecube or a smart holiday season business decision, because it most certainly isn't. I don't see why these two ideas cannot be mutually exclusive. I don't get either extreme actually.

AssMan

Banned
Quote:
August 16, 2005 - Nintendo announced this morning that its anticipated new adventure game, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, has been delayed. The title, formerly scheduled to debut this November around the world, has since been postponed to 2006 so that the developer can continue to make the game better.

"After much discussion, the Zelda development team has requested extra time to add new levels, more depth and even higher quality to Zelda: Twilight Princess," said Nintendo of America's vice president of corporate affairs, Perrin Kaplan. "Consequently, we're announcing a new global launch in 2006, after the conclusion of this fiscal year (March 31). We'll provide a specific date at a later point in time. While this may come as a disappointment to many eager fans, it will absolutely enrich the game and make it a multi-million seller."
Twilight Princess, developed by Nintendo and directed by Majora's Mask overseer Eiji Aonuma, was previously set to be the company's big holiday game. In fact, analysts expected the game to be Nintendo's single greatest deterrent to consumers potentially interested in Microsoft's next-generation console, Xbox 360, which is set for a November launch. The delay leaves Nintendo without a major holiday release on GameCube.

In the epic adventure, a 17-year-old Link travels across a gritty, realistic world and is able to move into an alternate dark land called the Twilight Realm, where he transforms into a wolf. Twilight Princess won a number of considerations by critics when it was presented in playable form at the Electronics Entertainment Expo. However, even then, members of the development team hinted in interviews that they would have to work overtime in order to meet a holiday release.

Speaking with IGN, Kaplan elaborated on the delay of the new Zelda. She explained that Nintendo has not yet committed to a new release date for the game, except to say that it would arrive sometime after March 2006. "But it will be worth the wait," she added.

Asked whether Nintendo would launch any previously unannounced GameCube titles this holiday to stand in for Zelda, Kaplan pointed to already-shown software.

"Of course, we don't suggest that any game can replace the unique nature of Zelda. However, GameCube owners have an excellent lineup of new games from which to choose, including Battalion Wars, Mario Super Baseball, Fire Emblem, Super Mario Strikers, Pokemon XD, and a host of great new games from third party publishers," the Nintendo executive stated. "Add to this a plethora of great DS games, the launch of Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection and several Wi-Fi games (Mario Kart DS, Animal Crossing DS, etc.), plus the launch of Micro (which will be hot!), and there is a lot for consumers to choose from."

With Twilight Princess being pushed in 2006, some Nintendo fans are wondering if the game might ultimately be killed for GameCube and instead repositioned as a launch title for Revolution, the Big N's next-generation platform. Revolution is set to launch sometime in the second half of 2006, according to sources. According to Kaplan, though, the game is still scheduled to ship for GameCube.

"In effect, because of the backward compatibility built into Revolution, every GameCube game also will be a Revolution title," she said. "But we feel a commitment to the GameCube owners who've been patiently awaiting this new Zelda title, and don't want to force them to wait and buy a brand new system in order to play the game."

Kaplan dismissed the notion that the delay of Zelda would put Nintendo in a tricky situation as GameCube owners decide whether or not to stick with the system or purchase Microsoft's new console this November.

"I think we are talking two different things here," she said. "Those who love Zelda will be thrilled when it arrives, and we believe will still want to purchase it even though the wait might have been a disappointment."

The Nintendo spokesperson also had a message for GameCube owners deflated by this latest delay. "Our message is that we understand what a disappointment this is solely because we know people are eager to play Zelda," she said. "The philosophy of 'quality-first' still lives within Nintendo and it's something we won't compromise on. When Zelda game arrives, we hope to hear that players are thrilled with it and believe the wait was worth it. We think it will be."

Nintendo has released seven new screenshots of the game in motion. Readers are directed to our images section for new shots of Link exploring a populated town and manipulating the snow as the wolf.

DaMan121

Of course, we don't suggest that any game can replace the unique nature of Zelda. However, GameCube owners have an excellent lineup of new games from which to choose, including Battalion Wars, Mario Super Baseball, Fire Emblem, Super Mario Strikers, Pokemon XD, and a host of great new games from third party publishers,"

3rd party publishers? Its 2005 not 2002. Honestly I dont see the point - By the time it gets released the userbase would have dwinled, and moved onto bigger and better things. Releasing a FF game on the ps2 makes sense because it has a 70+ million userbase, plus it has a multitude of games to keep it alive til then.
The NGC has been on life support for 2 years - instead of having one hell of a wake to celebrate its death, the delay will mean nobody even comes to the party other than a few faithfull fans. It wont even sell a million - hope Im wrong.

Socreges

Banned
Boogie said:
Wait, when was demi funny?
http://www.ga-forum.com/search.php?searchid=370955

8935675Obsession_m-resized200.gif

Boogie

Socreges said:
I would've made it myself if I saw that post! ....but still, man.

Actually, I'm not even sure what your search list proves. I'd think that since there's only been a mere 12 threads in which I've ever mentioned or quoted demi, it's more indicative of not being obsessed :p

demi

Well to read this entire thread and get up to that one post just to say "wait he's funny?" like you do in like all the other times you quote me, then yes. You're fucking nutso.

Boogie

demi said:
Well to read this entire thread and get up to that one post just to say "wait he's funny?" like you do in like all the other times you quote me, then yes. You're fucking nutso.

If you insist.

Socreges

Banned
Boogie said:
Actually, I'm not even sure what your search list proves. I'd think that since there's only been a mere 12 threads in which I've ever mentioned or quoted demi, it's more indicative of not being obsessed :p
Em, like six of them have been in the past two weeks....... :(

Boogie, I like you, but maybe lay off the guy for a while!

Boogie

Socreges said:
Em, like six of them have been in the past two weeks....... :(

Boogie, I like you, but maybe lay off the guy for a while!

Eh, what can I say, I'm losing my tolerance for idiocy. The Pearl Harbour thread is enough evidence of that :lol

edit: I'll lay off demi if you stop accusing ForzaItalia of being Greekboy ;)

Socreges

Banned
demi said:
And he wonders why most threads turn into demifests.
Well, perhaps because you start conversations with people that consume entire threads? You're a difficult guy to ignore, which is why everyone seems to have an opinion on you.

Socreges

Banned
Boogie said:
I'll lay off demi if you stop accusing ForzaItalia of being Greekboy ;)
Haha, not until someone either confirms or denies!

Honestly, though, it pretty much has to be him. I'll take comfort in that.

So yeah, this totally kills the GameCube holiday lineup. The $99 system with Zelda emulation disc was pretty popular in 2003... considering the emulated games and a menu system would take a small percentage of a disc I suppose they could toss in Wind Waker and do alright among the cheap hardware crowd. Toss in a Twilight Princess demo or movie depending on how much space is left.

GaimeGuy said:
Not necessarily. Since GC and Rev use the same software libraries, most of the changing they'd do would be graphics. Almost all the code could be left intact as it is, if I'm not mistaken.
I don't think redoing an entire Zelda game's graphics in post-GameCube quality in time for Revolution launch would be a task to sneeze at, and would totally kill off the last big GameCube release... but on the other hand I'm totally a guy who can see how some of the late N64 games would've been better off as GameCube games. Those that did make the transition (Eternal Darknes, Star Fox Adventures) still didn't come out until a year or so after launch, though.

ManaByte said:
But Ocarina made the Holiday season.
But was it originally holiday 1998 it was planned for?

John Harker said:
Nintendo probably just got scared.

They saw the stiff compeition this winter - with the X360 launching, and competion from their own plethora of games launching in the same couple months spand - that they decided to back off the date, polish the game, and give it another go after the hype of the 360 launch dies down, and as Rev gets ready to launch.
Even were that the case, launching in a non-holiday season while 360 gets established and its early hype is being replaced by PS3 hype (and maybe Revolution hype, who knows) would not be the obvious solution.

Mama Smurf said:
That would be a really weird thing to do in a town. Surely you're going to be able to walk around it all. Or can they use silhouettes and then replace them when you get closer with the actual models? If so they'd need to be able to scale the silhoette to get larger and smaller depending on how close you are to the buildings.
It could be not so much a "silhouette" as "relatively simple model without texture". Like the islands in the distance in Wind Waker. Not a particularly uncommon thing in games; it's just using different levels of detail.

LM4sure said:
why? no one is buying gamecubes anymore. no one cares. nintendo folk are used to waiting. they do a lot of it.
That's a bit circular, though. With games like Zelda, it wouldn't be the case that so few are buying the system.

Mr_Moogle

I cant see how some people would believe that delaying Zelda past christmas would maximise sales. Isn't christmas when people are in a buying mood? Now Nintendo steps into next gen territory. How can this possibly be a good thing financially?

The delay was used to get extra polishing time. Everyone knows a few months cant be used for anything major. I'm really dissapointed but I'm going to buy it anyway so no big deal. I'd rather have the full game anyway.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Mr_Moogle said:
I cant see how some people would believe that delaying Zelda past christmas would maximise sales. Isn't christmas when people are in a buying mood? Now Nintendo steps into next gen territory. How can this possibly be a good thing financially?

The delay was used to get extra polishing time. Everyone knows a few months cant be used for anything major. I'm really dissapointed but I'm going to buy it anyway so no big deal. I'd rather have the full game anyway.

To clarify, because I posted a few times in this thread on this topic, I did not say they were delaying it to maximize ZELDA sales.

I said, somewhere in this thread, that they were doing it to maximize the sales of the REST of their portfolio. I'm speculating this would help boost revenue on an umbrella-level of products, which they probably believe by taking away the Zelda-franchise competion of Nintendo products, the incramental sales of games such as Strikers, Baseball, Fire Emblem, Party 7, Geist, etc, would offset the decline in sales numbers of Zelda specfically.

Makes sense to me.

Then they can wait till next fiscal quarter and launch their last big punch, to start off that quarter strong (with momentum) and yet not end this one too poorly because of a boost in sales to their other products.

When they say its all about the benjamins' - they aint playin'.

john tv

A random thought: With all this 20th anniversary business in Japan...any chance Nintendo might have elected to hold the Japanese release of Twlight Princess until 2/21/06? (Zelda's 20th anniversary)

Might make sense...

Johnas

john tv said:
A random thought: With all this 20th anniversary business in Japan...any chance Nintendo might have elected to hold the Japanese release of Twlight Princess until 2/21/06? (Zelda's 20th anniversary)

Might make sense...

That is really not a bad thought at all. If true, surely they would keep the simultaneous worldwide release (hopefully)...

john tv said:

Might make sense...
Talk of it being financial year 2006 points to some time after March, but that would be nifty.

Memles

john tv said:

Might make sense...

It's not very random, since it's picking a precise date based on careful observation, but it's a good thought regardless. Nintendo has a shitload of nostalgia to play off of right now, and considering how well it has worked in the past I think it's a smart move.

Top Bottom