• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Wii U - Recap of 5 hours gameplay stream

3phemeral

76jUj091NbsrK.gif
How did i miss this and why does the way they handled this laser redirection make it look so much more awesome than it normally would?

2nd most watched video on Nintendo's channel, crazy.

And apparently, idling in water depletes stamina slowly, and once it reaches 0% you drown and Game Over. (https://twitter.com/trihexx/status/742968146919849987)

most likely he falls into a cold river. if the river isn't that cold, his heart won't decrease. there's a similar situation that is gif'ed in this thread or another thread that shows this happened (temperature bar frozen when link falls into the river)

It's been a good few days since the reveal and this game and it's still so surreal to me, I still pinch myself to remind myself that this is real tangible thing. As a somewhat outsider to the Zelda games (someone who is by no means a "fan" but appreciate the series' greatness), this is everything I wanted in a video game, and so much I never knew I wanted.

Servbot24

Banned
As much as I tend to dislike open world games, I gotta say, I absolutely love that they're putting gameplay first. Same reason I greatly enjoyed MGSV.

I just love being able to say "fuck it" and throw a sledge hammer directly into someone's face

9IHMvqg.gif

Woah. For a split second I though this was a different game.

Peléo

You perform the shield parry with A while targeting when you have a shield equipped.

The same mechanic was in Skyward Sword. Shields only blocked attacks and they took damage. But if you performed a shield bash at the exact moment of the attack you would reflect the attack and the shield would take no damage. I wonder if doing it in this game also keeps shields from breaking like in SS.

Thank you. Didnt remember this mechanic from SS.

JP

Before I start, I'm sorry but I really didn;t get the opportunity to follow what was happening with Nintendo at E3 so I have questions which are probably really stupid.

This looks absolutely amazing, was there any mention of this on teh new console, or anything at all about the new console?

Chaos17

Before I start, I'm sorry but I really didn;t get the opportunity to follow what was happening with Nintendo at E3 so I have questions which are probably really stupid.

This looks absolutely amazing, was there any mention of this on teh new console, or anything at all about the new console?

There was no word about NX and no Zelda was show cased on Wii U only.

LukeTim

Haven't been this excited for a game in an awfully long time.

This will be the first time I have taken a week off work just to play a game at launch. That is my plan and I am sticking to it... maybe even two weeks. It's that fucking huge.

As said above they only showed the Wii U version and we have a thread here detailing all the tidbits about the NX: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1235236

But if you were previously unaware this Zelda game has been confirmed to be simultaneously releasing for Wii U and NX, Nintendo's next console.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
But if you were previously unaware this Zelda game has been confirmed to be simultaneously releasing for Wii U and NX, Nintendo's next console.

Fuuuuck. I was really hoping they announced a release date I somehow missed. I want this game in my life.

Fuuuuck. I was really hoping they announced a release date I somehow missed. I want this game in my life.

All we know is NX is slated for March 2017, and while they haven't confirmed that BotW is a launch game, it is highly likely to me that they do everything they can to have this ready for launch.

So I'd say 75% chance BotW comes out March 2017, barring any NX delays.

Mathieran

Banned
I basically missed everything, just watched the trailer which looks great. Was this confirmed to be running on the Wii U? Sorry if this has already been talked about. Been debating whether or not to keep my Wii U, this would help make my decision.

jwillenn

Now that we've seen more of the game from the initial reveal, do we have a hint at what kind of arrow Link was shooting in the original trailer at the guardian?

arrow-2.gif

It looks really unique.

I wanna say it's sheikah slate powered (like the bombs, ice pillars, magnet, etc in the demo)

unlimited

I basically missed everything, just watched the trailer which looks great. Was this confirmed to be running on the Wii U? Sorry if this has already been talked about. Been debating whether or not to keep my Wii U, this would help make my decision.

See directly above your post- yes this was confirmed to be running on Wii U. NX version will be exactly the same except for visuals.

Weapon durability seems extremely low... Luckily there are an abundance of weapons, but still.

A lot of the weapons they picked up in the Treehouse streams and other direct gameplay showed weapons with much higher durability, so not everything will break that quickly. It looks like most weapons break immediately upon throwing at an enemy which is a bit strange to me though.

I wanna say it's sheikah slate powered (like the bombs, ice pillars, magnet, etc in the demo)

unlimited

Yeah that's my thinking too. I bet there will also be a melee Sheikah Slate ability, since as far as we know when Link is unarmed he can't attack. Maybe a recharging Slate Slash would be a cool solution to that.

I'm hoping though that we get some "normal" Zelda items, like the hookshot, that aren't just Slate runes. We can see a "special items" tab in the inventory screen which holds the Sheikah Slate, and hopefully we get other items for that tab beyond keys/quest items.

Air

Banned
A lot of the weapons they picked up in the Treehouse streams and other direct gameplay showed weapons with much higher durability, so not everything will break that quickly. It looks like most weapons break immediately upon throwing at an enemy which is a bit strange to me though.

From what I've seen, if you throw a damaged weapon it breaks when it hits an enemy, but if you throw a normal weapon is OK until damaged

From what I've seen, if you throw a damaged weapon it breaks when it hits an enemy, but if you throw a normal weapon is OK until damaged

Really? I can't remember seeing footage of a weapon not breaking upon being thrown at an enemy, but that's good to know! I would love to find a really durable spear and start chuckin' spears at everyone!

Akki

All we know is NX is slated for March 2017, and while they haven't confirmed that BotW is a launch game, it is highly likely to me that they do everything they can to have this ready for launch.

If Zelda is not ready in March 2017, they will delay the NX. They simply need this game as a huge system seller.

Maybe it's just a bomb arrow, wouldn't be anything new to the series and would explain the glowyness.

There are existing bomb arrows, they explode with a typically fiery bomb style, not the blue shine we see from this arrow. The blue indicates to me that it's a Sheikah Slate ability since the Sheikah Slate bombs are also blue, and the entire Slate interface is fairly blue.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I still think, really more hope, that the glowing blue arrow is a time shift arrow.

It would be expecting a crap ton from the game, but the idea of shooting areas in the game and getting these small little spheres of time shift would be crazy amazing.

I still think, really more hope, that the glowing blue arrow is a time shift arrow.

It would be expecting a crap ton from the game, but the idea of shooting areas in the game and getting these small little spheres of time shift would be crazy amazing.

Remember how (pre-E3) Aonuma mentioned that he had a certain "twist" on the open world genre? Did we actually see anything which could constitute that "twist" in all of this footage?

I'm betting that there will definitely be a time travel element, and having something as dynamic as time travel arrows which bring whatever they hit into the past/future/whatever would be ridiculously cool.

Also the towns are likely related to time travel. Imagine if there are actually two versions of this overworld- present version and pre-Link's 100 year nap where Hyrule hasn't yet been destroyed. That would definitely be an awesome "twist" that I can imagine them doing. Thinking about it even more, Aonuma mentioned the minimalist music style had a lot to do with the ruined, desolate atmosphere... imagine if upon going back to the past we get a full overworld theme similar to previous Zeldas! How incredibly epic would that be?

PtM

Banned

It's already confirmed as a dual release, someday 2017. That is all.

About that, Pachter reckons they said March only to appease investors.
I'm hoping though that we get some "normal" Zelda items, like the hookshot, that aren't just Slate runes.
With all the climbing, hookshot is a must.

About that, Pachter reckons they said March only to appease investors.

With all the climbing, hookshot is a must.

That's why I said "slated" for March '17, though Pachter is quite often wrong about Nintendo. Also if it could be proven that Nintendo knowingly and intentionally misled investors about a March 2017 date that can come back to royally bite them in the ass, so I really don't think they intend to delay NX at this stage, though it's certainly possible that it gets delayed.

And yeah there will definitely be typical Zelda items (Aonuma even confirmed this) but I'm curious if people think that it will be rune-based like everything we've seen so far or if there will be actual physical items in addition to the runes. So maybe the runes are more of a magic system and the items are typical Zelda items.

TannerDemoz

No sign of any musical instrument in the game yet? Sorry if this has been brought up already, this post is huge (great work btw, OP)

OOT / Majora's Mask - Ocarina / Pipes / Guitar / Drums

Wind Waker - Conductor's Baton (Wind Waker)

Twilight Princess - Reed

LBW - Bell

Skyward Sword - Harp

Breath Of The Wild - ?

No sign of any musical instrument in the game yet? Sorry if this has been brought up already, this post is huge (great work btw, OP)

OOT / Majora's Mask - Ocarina / Pipes / Guitar / Drums

Wind Waker - Conductor's Baton (Wind Waker)

Twilight Princess - Reed

LBW - Bell

Skyward Sword - Harp

Breath Of The Wild - ?

If we get one I'm gonna guess piano, or at least a keyboard "app" for the Sheikah Slate, what with the huge focus on piano music.

But I honestly don't think we'll get an instrument in this game, another break from the conventions of Zelda.

Volotaire

If we get one I'm gonna guess piano, or at least a keyboard "app" for the Sheikah Slate, what with the huge focus on piano music.

But I honestly don't think we'll get an instrument in this game, another break from the conventions of Zelda.

I love the idea of Link whipping out a grand piano from his equipment at the top of a mountain.

TannerDemoz

Keyboard app seems the most likely given the focus on piano music, like you said. Would be cool for the Wii U to function as one.

Personally, I can't see them not giving Link some kind of instrument. But, then again, they've mainly been used for transporting Link around the map in previous games, which is no longer nessecary.

Top Bottom