• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Wii U - Recap of 5 hours gameplay stream

Diffense

Remember how (pre-E3) Aonuma mentioned that he had a certain "twist" on the open world genre? Did we actually see anything which could constitute that "twist" in all of this footage?

I'm betting that there will definitely be a time travel element, and having something as dynamic as time travel arrows which bring whatever they hit into the past/future/whatever would be ridiculously cool.

Also the towns are likely related to time travel. Imagine if there are actually two versions of this overworld- present version and pre-Link's 100 year nap where Hyrule hasn't yet been destroyed. That would definitely be an awesome "twist" that I can imagine them doing. Thinking about it even more, Aonuma mentioned the minimalist music style had a lot to do with the ruined, desolate atmosphere... imagine if upon going back to the past we get a full overworld theme similar to previous Zeldas! How incredibly epic would that be?

They've shown enough to get us excited but they've held a whole lot back. Just from the standpoint of the world's geography, we've seen only a tiny portion. The plateau, with its snowy peak, water bodies, forest, shrines and ruins, is between 0.01 - 0.02 of the totality of BotW's handcrafted Hyrule.

They've obviously held back gameplay mechanics as well. Anything that involves doubling the world size (like having a past version of Hyrule that you either reveal in pockets like SS's timeshift or travel to) would be absolutely crazy. I'd seriously have to wonder if Aonuma and co. are insane if they decide to take that on.

dtm808

We still have no idea about :
- what the dungeons will be like
- will key items be a thing
- what races/characters will be in the game
- the towns/cities
- quest system
- equipment and magic crafting
Etc

They showed so much and yet so little at the same time. Crazy.

- the towns/cities
- quest system
Etc

They've clearly put so much thought into the physics of the world that the rest of it is going to be insane.

MajorMane

Are traditional towns and quest givers confirmed?
I fear it's only a map where you choose a location to go forward with the story.

They confirmed that there would be towns, etc. in the game. Sounds like some stuff might not have been in the demo to avoid story spoilers.

Not sure about quest givers.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
With the Koroks being there, what are the chances the Rito make a return as well? What if that flying landmass is their city?

They confirmed that there would be towns, etc. in the game. Sounds like some stuff might not have been in the demo to avoid story spoilers.

Not sure about quest givers.

I bet it'll be more like small settlements here and there rather than actual towns. Though it'd be cool if you found a town on the very outskirt of the map and it's revealed to be Ordon.

- the towns/cities
- quest system
Etc

If it means anything, there was an 'important items' section of the pause menu where the Sheikah Slate is.

MajorMane

Is wolf Link Amibo exclusive?

It comes with TPHD, but I believe you can buy it separate. The backaging it comes in is definitely separate with the game, so.

EDIT: And if not officially, I'm sure it's available on ebay, etc. from people selling it.

I'm gonna have to buy a NX or Wii U for this won't I? :(

If you want to play the game, then yes. The Wii U has plenty of wonderful games if you don't feel okay buying a system for a single game. Time will tell with the NX.

- the towns/cities
- quest system
Etc

The thought that in a couple of months time we're probably going to get a proper story trailer, maybe even a quick demo of a town/quests has me crazy excited.

The idea that they could show hours and hours of footage this week, and I can pretty much guarantee I can still go in and be constantly surprised by 90% of it still blows me away.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
With the Koroks being there, what are the chances the Rito make a return as well? What if that flying landmass is their city?

Part of me wants to see the old races back. It would be cool to see the Goron, Zora and Rito with real settlements. Especially the latter two interacting together somehow. But part of me also wants to see new races. Good ones like the aforementioned and not like some of the goofier joke races the series has introduced of late. I've always really disliked the Koroks, so I hope they are more of a large collectathon thing like the Maiamai were and not anything more substantial. But I'm sure there's something important about them.

MajorMane

Apparently a new texture in TPHD had a mural which showed the Rito. Some people have connected that to Aonuma's comments about having "Oh, I see" moments in Breath of the Wild after playing TPHD. Interestingly enough, there was also a Zora in the same mural.

Give me all the races.

Akai

Has anyone mentioned the Goddess statue from Skyward Sword being in the Temple of Time yet? I'm loving all these references to past games, both big and small, in the demo alone...

KingBroly

Banned
Yep. Shitty thing to do but apparently he has low health and an irl 24 hour cool down period so if you don't have it you aren't missing out on much.

His Health depends on the amount of Hearts you have after beating the TPHD dungeon. So it's really only worth it if you play the game.

I beat the dungeon with 20 Hearts, so Wolf Link will have 20 Hearts in BotW for me.

His Health depends on the amount of Hearts you have after beating the TPHD dungeon. So it's really only worth it if you play the game.

I beat the dungeon with 20 Hearts, so Wolf Link will have 20 Hearts in BotW for me.
Lmao your wolf is broken af.

Regardless i have little desire to play a remaster for something like this. I wish they hadn't locked something so cool behind an Amiibo.

Lmao your wolf is broken af.

Regardless i have little desire to play a remaster for something like this. I wish they hadn't locked something so cool behind an Amiibo.

It might just be me but I'd rather play an open sandbox-ey game like this without an AI companion. What good is climbing trees to sneak up on enemies if your wolf will just attack them outright?

Again, probably just me.

Gsnap

Yep. Shitty thing to do but apparently he has low health and an irl 24 hour cool down period so if you don't have it you aren't missing out on much.

It's health is determined by how much health it has when you clear the trial in TPHD. So you could scan one with the full amount of hearts

I don't think it's shitty. I mean, yeah, as an adult I don't really care about it. But if I were 8 or 9 years old playing this game, I'd be really excited once I realized one of my toys could become a wolf companion. So I'm glad kids experiencing Zelda for what may be the first time are going to be able to get an experience like that.

It might just be me but I'd rather play an open sandbox-ey game like this without an AI companion. What good is climbing trees to sneak up on enemies if your wolf will just attack them outright?

Again, probably just me.

It's health is determined by how much health it has when you clear the trial in TPHD. So you could scan one with the full amount of hearts

I don't think it's shitty. I mean, yeah, as an adult I don't really care about it. But if I were 8 or 9 years old playing this game, I'd be really excited once I realized one of my toys could become a wolf companion. So I'm glad kids experiencing Zelda for what may be the first time are going to be able to get an experience like that.
It's shitty because I have no desire to get amiibos, and they're essentially locking an AI companion behind a toy that you can only upgrade by playing another game.

If they gave you the option to tame animals in the game itself to help you, then a Wolf Link exclusive amiibo wouldn't bother me if I can get say a regular wolf in the game by itself.

Locking content away is what's a pain. An outfit or a reskin, who cares.

I wouldn't be surprised if you can tame regular wolves in the game and they behave the same, and they're not mentioning that to get a much needed TP sales spike right now. Seems like quite a lot of work behind something few people will have access to, especially considering the NX version.

Also, calling it now: the NX is a two screen portable that can play 3DS and Wii U games, that's why they haven't mentioned any enhancements for the NX version of BotW. It would also make Starfox Zero quite more playable with both screens close together.
I know this is utter wishful thinking.

KingBroly

Banned
It's shitty because I have no desire to get amiibos, and they're essentially locking an AI companion behind a toy that you can only upgrade by playing another game.

If they gave you the option to tame animals in the game itself to help you, then a Wolf Link exclusive amiibo wouldn't bother me if I can get say a regular wolf in the game by itself.

It's not integral to the game's design, and probably makes the game easier most of the time. I think it's cool, personally. But I imagine they're going to sell it separately when the game comes out, because selling it separately right now is pretty pointless.

Remember how (pre-E3) Aonuma mentioned that he had a certain "twist" on the open world genre? Did we actually see anything which could constitute that "twist" in all of this footage?

I'm betting that there will definitely be a time travel element, and having something as dynamic as time travel arrows which bring whatever they hit into the past/future/whatever would be ridiculously cool.

Also the towns are likely related to time travel. Imagine if there are actually two versions of this overworld- present version and pre-Link's 100 year nap where Hyrule hasn't yet been destroyed. That would definitely be an awesome "twist" that I can imagine them doing. Thinking about it even more, Aonuma mentioned the minimalist music style had a lot to do with the ruined, desolate atmosphere... imagine if upon going back to the past we get a full overworld theme similar to previous Zeldas! How incredibly epic would that be?

Woah dude, I understand your enthusiasm, but you are going way overboard here. To pull something like that off, Nintendo had to work on the game for, like, 15 years. They basically would have to made two big worlds.

Not that I don't like that idea. I actually love it, but its just unrealistic.

It's not integral to the game's design, and probably makes the game easier most of the time. I think it's cool, personally. But I imagine they're going to sell it separately when the game comes out, because selling it separately right now is pretty pointless.
You think it's cool they're locking something that adds to the game behind a toy and remaster so only people who get those can enjoy it?

OK....

Blue Ranger

Neo Member
This game looks so cool

aiXh2cQ.gif

Hobbun

I do like the idea that you pick up new weapons to use as they will break over time. However, I do hope eventually you start to get your really nice (magical?) sword that doesn't break, or takes a great deal to do so. Maybe it would break and you'd have to repair it through crafting. That would be really cool.

I am guessing you eventually do get something along those lines as they've shown pictures of the
Master Sword.

Woah dude, I understand your enthusiasm, but you are going way overboard here. To pull something like that off, Nintendo had to work on the game for, like, 15 years. They basically would have to made two big worlds.

I mean, look at what this Zelda team has already pulled off: a massively detailed physics engine, a very unique grass system with (apparent) dynamic self-shadows, a world larger than the Witcher 3, unique and surprising enemy AI... and all of these systems seemingly exist without any crazy Bethesda-like bugs! How insane is that?

If there's any team that can pull off that idea it's the Zelda team, though I do agree it's fairly unlikely. But if you think about it, they wouldn't likely need two big worlds. It could essentially be the same landscape with a lot of the mountains/buildings/features having two separate models/textures, one for past and one for present. Ocarina of Time did it on the N64 which at the time was an incredible feat.

I dunno, I don't mean to get anyone's hopes up, I just think it would satisfy that "twist" Aonuma was talking about in the most incredibly epic way.

RK9039

Yeah I agree. Hopefully you can tame regular animals like normal wolves. Link can tame horses so I'm guessing it could be possible for other animals too. Locking out an entire feature like that, I think the wolf hunts, behind a toy is silly imo.

It's not essential. None of the amiibo functionality is.
It doesn't make it any less shitty to lock an AI companion though. It's not essential to do many things in games to beat it, but the choice is there for players to do it in game. Don't lock away choices behind other games and devices.

If I wanted to do it, regardless of how effective it is, I now have to spend more money. I mean I'm not seeing how anyone can justify it isn't a shitty thing to do, regardless of how useful it is. This isn't a different outfit or a cool item that will lose its effectiveness as you get better equipment, this is a character that can in theory remain useful for people having a hard time the whole game.

This point will be moot if you can have other AI companions in game though.

rulerk1

You think it's cool they're locking something that adds to the game behind a toy and remaster so only people who get those can enjoy it?

OK....

do you hate dlc as well? Amiibo stuff is pretty much dlc or additional content, with amiibos being a generation long "season pass". Your game experience isnt lesser than those who have it.

KingBroly

Banned
It doesn't make it any less shitty to lock an AI companion though. It's not essential to do many things in games to beat it, but the choice is there for players to do it in game. Don't lock away choices behind other games and devices.

If I wanted to do it, regardless of how effective it is, I now have to spend more money. I mean I'm not seeing how anyone can justify it isn't a shitty thing to do, regardless of how useful it is. This isn't a different outfit or a cool item that will lose its effectiveness as you get better equipment, this is a character that can in theory remain useful for people having a hard time the whole game.

This point will be moot if you can have other AI companions in game though.

I doubt it. The game doesn't seem to have much in the way of friends or allies.

Would it really though? I think this is what they actually have done or something similar

do you hate dlc as well? Amiibo stuff is pretty much dlc or additional content, with amiibos being a generation long "season pass". Your game experience isnt lesser than those who have it.
But dlc doesn't cost me a game and a toy to buy and make the character effective instead of a scrub. If DLC I can buy the item from the game and do everything I can in the game itself to train the character and improve its health.

AdanVC

Can't wait to see actual characters in this game. Your new friends, foes, Ganon... ZELDA. I'm sure she will look majestic here!

But dlc doesn't cost me a game and a toy to buy and make the character effective instead of a scrub. If DLC I can buy the item from the game and do everything I can in the game itself to train the character and improve its health.

I do agree that everything that's locked behind Amiibos should also be available as DLC... it's pretty shitty practice, especially when stock is limited. This is of course excepting cases where the Amiibo stuff can't be done with DLC (taking your Smash Amiibo with data to a friends house for instance).

But in this case it's probably best not to jump to conclusions yet. There could very well be trainable animal companions, just none accessible from the start like Wolf Link. We really (somehow) still know next to nothing about this game!

I actually rather dislike the wolf link because it's just an option that actually kinda breaks aspects of the game. It clearly isn't balanced around having a companion to fight with. Also I may dislike Amiibo, but goddamn, I've got to have that Guardian Amiibo.

I do agree that everything that's locked behind Amiibos should also be available as DLC... it's pretty shitty practice, especially when stock is limited. This is of course excepting cases where the Amiibo stuff can't be done with DLC (taking your Smash Amiibo with data to a friends house for instance).

But in this case it's probably best not to jump to conclusions yet. There could very well be trainable animal companions, just none accessible from the start like Wolf Link. We really (somehow) still know next to nothing about this game!
Oh I agree. I'll wait until we have more info to fully condemn Nintendo over this, but with the limited info I have right now it seems like a Greedy ass move. I'll give them benefit of the doubt until officially answered in an interview or something though.

Top Bottom