• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Wii U - Recap of 5 hours gameplay stream

Ulysses 31

Better off getting this for Wii U? Most if the development was for that console.

I'm confident Ninty would want to show off the difference in power with the NX port, either way, it's still at least 8 months off and with current info available it makes more sense to wait which console to buy for Zelda BotW.

PtM

Banned
That's why I said "slated" for March '17, though Pachter is quite often wrong about Nintendo. Also if it could be proven that Nintendo knowingly and intentionally misled investors about a March 2017 date that can come back to royally bite them in the ass, so I really don't think they intend to delay NX at this stage, though it's certainly possible that it gets delayed.
Goold luck with proving something like that. :p
They already pushed back the release once so that they could have a strong launch line-up, and they would do it again.
Pachter's reasoning was that anything goes as long as the system will be available for the holidays.
I need a Wii U... or just wait for the NX at this point.
It'll be a "simultaneous" launch, meaning at most you'd have to wait for the WiiU version.
I'm confident Ninty would want to show off the difference in power with the NX port, either way, it's still at least 8 months off and with current info available it makes more sense to wait which console to buy for Zelda BotW.
If they still desire to not piss of WiiU owners, it'll be parity like with TP all over again, except maybe for graphical fixes.

Major miiverse epiphany!

I was watching the NWR direct gameplay and looking at the stamps on the map made me think about who placed them there, since we know in the final game the stamps don't automatically appear- the player has to place them there. So for the demo I'm assuming that some of those stamps are automatically there to guide players in their limited time with the demo.

But for the final game, I'm strongly wagering that there will be a function where you can "download" stamps from other players, which will essentially help you find secrets throughout the world. So there will be some in game mechanism to let you see stamps on your map that other players have placed, sort of like the Dark Souls soapstone messages, which will show you that, "hey, there's treasure at this location!" but which can be voted on to determine if they're helpful/accurate or just lying.

This seems like such an obvious but smart miiverse feature.

Keyboard app seems the most likely given the focus on piano music, like you said. Would be cool for the Wii U to function as one.

Personally, I can't see them not giving Link some kind of instrument. But, then again, they've mainly been used for transporting Link around the map in previous games, which is no longer nessecary.

Like you said, songs were primarily for warping and as a replacement for "keys." A lot of the song functions, like changing the weather, skipping to the next day, making a copy of yourself, etc. could easily be done with Sheikah Runes too. If there is an instrument in this game I'm betting it will serve a pretty different function than what we've seen previously.

noshten

Major miiverse epiphany!

I was watching the NWR direct gameplay and looking at the stamps on the map made me think about who placed them there, since we know in the final game the stamps don't automatically appear- the player has to place them there. So for the demo I'm assuming that some of those stamps are automatically there to guide players in their limited time with the demo.

But for the final game, I'm strongly wagering that there will be a function where you can "download" stamps from other players, which will essentially help you find secrets throughout the world. So there will be some in game mechanism to let you see stamps on your map that other players have placed, sort of like the Dark Souls soapstone messages, which will show you that, "hey, there's treasure at this location!" but which can be voted on to determine if they're helpful/accurate or just lying.

This seems like such an obvious but smart miiverse feature.

Yes sharing secrets is good but what I'd really like to see is additional content being provided by Nintendo.
On the NX with a more robust system with the needed resources there are things which Nintendo can do to make the END game far more interesting. My personal idea is to provide a DLC Shrine Creator - allowing end game, user generated content. Being able to play your friend's shrines, top rated shrines and possibly weekly/monthly special dungeon created by Nintendo and other popular content creators would give this game far more replayability once you finish interacting with the regular hub world.
They could easily create a hub on a flying castle with a Mii Village where each Mii can be promoting their own shrine and you can select the type of Miis you see populating the area(friends, newest Shrines, most popular shrines etc).
Basically if you take inspiration from Skyrim you need to also take inspiration from the user generated content on PC. That's what really made Skyrim such a beast long term for the community.

PKrockin

No sign of any musical instrument in the game yet? Sorry if this has been brought up already, this post is huge (great work btw, OP)

OOT / Majora's Mask - Ocarina / Pipes / Guitar / Drums

Wind Waker - Conductor's Baton (Wind Waker)

Twilight Princess - Reed

LBW - Bell

Skyward Sword - Harp

Breath Of The Wild - ?
I'm going to be disappointed if you can't whip out the instrument and noodle on it while you run around, like you could in Skyward Sword.

A guitar that turns into an electric guitar if you play it while snowboarding

I pretty much think of every mechanic in terms of "what if you could do this while snowboarding?!?" now

Yes sharing secrets is good but what I'd really like to see is additional content being provided by Nintendo.
On the NX with a more robust system with the needed resources there are things which Nintendo can do to make the END game far more interesting. My personal idea is to provide a DLC Shrine Creator - allowing end game, user generated content. Being able to play your friend's shrines, top rated shrines and possibly weekly/monthly special dungeon created by Nintendo and other popular content creators would give this game far more replayability once you finish interacting with the regular hub world.
They could easily create a hub on a flying castle with a Mii Village where each Mii can be promoting their own shrine and you can select the type of Miis you see populating the area(friends, newest Shrines, most popular shrines etc).
Basically if you take inspiration from Skyrim you need to also take inspiration from the user generated content on PC. That's what really made Skyrim such a beast long term for the community.

Yeah someone earlier in the thread had this idea and I loved it. It sorta tied in with my theory that each shrine was created by a different developer of the game, and their last name became an anagram for the shrine's name. I can't figure out who Ke Numut could be though so I don't know how accurate my theory is... then again I'm just plain bad at anagrams.

Hopefully if we can create shrines then they come in other aesthetic styles... the ones shown so far are very similar looking (not mechanically, but style wise) and that can get super dull after 100 of those and then more user-generated shrines. Hopefully there are more than 10 different shrine aesthetics to choose from, maybe some of them actually changing the layouts or mechanics of the shrine too.

Edit:

I'm going to be disappointed if you can't whip out the instrument and noodle on it while you run around, like you could in Skyward Sword.

I pretty much think of every mechanic in terms of "what if you could do this while snowboarding?!?" now

I'm with Volotaire:

I love the idea of Link whipping out a grand piano from his equipment at the top of a mountain.

What's more badass than whipping out a grand piano while snowboarding on a shield?

I really just want Link to be able find a guitar if only to go "El KaBong" on enemies with it. Having multiple instruments would be pretty cool.

How are they getting this kind of open world performance on Wii U lol wow

Like every 1st party developer. Working on the system's strength. We still have another year to go for futher improvement. To think the game was going to come out at 2015 when it look like it was in alpha.

PKrockin

Honestly I wasn't that wowed by the game's visuals after playing Xenoblade X, but Zelda still looks really good thanks to the art style.

WVW69jTimsot5tyFts

WVW69jTNuxA07cz0Nz

GTAV falls apart when you try to interact with it, it's an utter failure in game design. Zelda is so polished than not even free form physics interactions break the experience and instead add to the creative arsenal of the player.

Smellycat

Better off getting this for Wii U? Most if the development was for that console.

You can bet that the game has also been in development for the NX since they announced the delay in early 2015. So that is about 2 years worth of development by the time it releases.

Majukun

I'm playing the demo later this week. I'm definitely trying this, the bomb shield thing...and I also wanna see what happens if you throw food at the bokoblins...

And what happens when you attack the Old Man a bunch.

I need to know.

Any other weird demo requests?

ìfind a crate,seal it in time,charge the kinetic energy and than see if you can jump on it and fly with it

GTAV falls apart when you try to interact with it, it's an utter failure in game design. Zelda is so polished than not even free form physics interactions break the experience and instead add to the creative arsenal of the player.

Imagine the types of physics systems we'll see in games built from the ground up for the NX, assuming the CPU NX>>>>XB1>PS4>>>>>>>>WiiU leak is legit.

I wonder if focusing heavily on physics based gameplay is a new direction overall for Nintendo... maybe this new type of Mario will be heavily physics based as well.

Edit: Side note, all of these amazing gifs in these Zelda threads are absolutely murdering my browser for some reason! Still love them though!

rhandino

Banned
I was watching a vid (I think it was GameXplain) where the player sees 2 bokoblins near a tree so he cuts the tree and the enemies get hit and heavily damaged by the falling trunk.

T_T

Eradicate

I'm playing the demo later this week. I'm definitely trying this, the bomb shield thing...and I also wanna see what happens if you throw food at the bokoblins...

And what happens when you attack the Old Man a bunch.

I need to know.

Any other weird demo requests?

...definitely the cartoon Link bomb shield thing!

If near an enemy encampment with trees nearby, get their attention and climb a tree and see if they try to burn you down, throw rocks, or what!

The Boat

Also, the guitar needs to shoot fire. For Chiko.
tumblr_nqjosqeUAL1rrhhnko3_500.gif

Luigiv

I imagine it has to be 720x30, or 1080 at best. But no more than 30 fps.

No need to imagine, it is 720p30.

You can tell straight away from the official screenshots that the resolution is indeed native 720p. For example:
As I can see neither any upscaling artefacts or any subpixel detail, it's definitely native. If you really want to be sure, you could pixel count but I don't think that's necessary. There does, however, appear to be some sort of low quality AA making things a little blurry.

And yeah, it's definitely 30fps in the footage.

I'm still not 100% sold on the open world aspect and if they can ultimately overcome the 'busy work/empty space' problems I have with open worlds I've played so far, but what they're showing here looks truly incredible.

The level of interaction and logic on display is fucking awesome and more what I was always expecting from next gen myself.

I wasn't even remotely interested in another Nintendo console after the Wii and WiiU but this might sell me an NX like Bloodborne sold me a PS4 if it can remedy the typical open world ailments.

I don't have a video handy for parrying melee weapons but here's Link parrying a laser.

https://youtu.be/fEI8H262EAk?t=1m6s

This video is great btw, it has a few more gif-worthy moments of things not shown off in the Treehouse stream.

It's amazing that after having watched close to 10 gameplay hours of the game, there are still videos with new stuff like that. Aside from the several things mentioned (laser reflect, etc.) I loved how the Bokoblins dropped their shields and weapons and ran when chased by the bees, making them sitting ducks.

As I can see neither any upscaling artefacts or any subpixel detail, it's definitely native. If you really want to be sure, you could pixel count but I don't think that's necessary. There does, however, appear to be some sort of low quality AA making things a little blurry.

And yeah, it's definitely 30fps in the footage.

I don't have the sharpest eye when it comes to graphics- the actual in game footage also does include some AA, right? I haven't really seen much in the way of jaggies, so that's pretty nice.

The music from the trailer has been in my head since Tuesday and I just can't let it go.

Same, and when it first was revealed I was super underwhelmed by the music. I wanted my epic expensive as hell score like the TP trailer!!

But yeah the music grew on me SO much over the past few days, I need to hear it every few hours now.
I have a problem

I'm still not 100% sold on the open world aspect and if they can ultimately overcome the 'busy work/empty space' problems I have with open worlds I've played so far, but what they're showing here looks truly incredible.

The busy work issue in most open world games is mostly related to completing annoying fetch quests to advance the plot, but from what Aonuma has said you can essentially go straight to the final boss if you want to from the start, so I imagine if there are busywork fetch quests then they aren't at all going to be mandatory to completing the game.

The busy work issue in most open world games is mostly related to completing annoying fetch quests to advance the plot, but from what Aonuma has said you can essentially go straight to the final boss if you want to from the start, so I imagine if there are busywork fetch quests then they aren't at all going to be mandatory to completing the game.

Right, this is going to be about uncovering the mystery and tackling challenges when you're ready, rather than going through motions to progress.

KingBroly

Banned
Even though we've only seen glimpses of the desert area, I want to be able to use a Korok Leaf to blow sand in the eyes of enemies to stop them for a bit while I slash them to death.

That'd be so awesome.

zma1013

Honestly I wasn't that wowed by the game's visuals after playing Xenoblade X, but Zelda still looks really good thanks to the art style.

WVW69jTimsot5tyFts

WVW69jTNuxA07cz0Nz

I mean, i dunno, Xenoblade is certainly pushing the limits of the system but it also had stuff popping up 10 feet in front of your face and it was rather jarring.

eh...I'm sure a lot of people will see it. The game seems filled with chests.

The animation will only happen if you kick open a chest without pants equipped which also gives you shoes. The game gives a shirt and pants at the start of the game so it's unlikely that someone would open a metal chest without pants equipped.

No sign of any musical instrument in the game yet? Sorry if this has been brought up already, this post is huge (great work btw, OP)

OOT / Majora's Mask - Ocarina / Pipes / Guitar / Drums

Wind Waker - Conductor's Baton (Wind Waker)

Twilight Princess - Reed

LBW - Bell

Skyward Sword - Harp

Breath Of The Wild - ?

I'd love ocarina to come back :(

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I'd love ocarina to come back :(

I wouldn't mind seeing the Recorder from the first game make a return. Effectively the same as the Ocarina, but I don't want to rely to heavily on that imagery. Pan flute would be cool again too, though that was "just" used in Spirit Tracks.

Top Bottom