• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Wii U - Recap of 5 hours gameplay stream

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I wonder how much you'll be able to cheese the game by using fairies to revive yourself after being launched.

PtM

Banned
OP needs mention of if gyro controls are still in. If Link pulls out his tablet, can we move it by moving ours?

TheMoon

OP needs mention of if gyro controls are still in. If Link pulls out his tablet, can we move it by moving ours?

Gyro is still in. That's how you aim the bow. Some of the runes are also gyro-enabled (some of the Hylian inscriptions literally say gyro in one of the shrines).

Has anybody tried that before ?

Because it's fantastic

There are gifs/links to this in every current Zelda thread. Including a link to the video on the previous page here.

Chaos17

Has anybody tried that before ?

Because it's fantastic

I'm going to have so much fun in this game, I can't wait :D

exsI59j5OQ9Ik.gif

TheMoon

So you can find rupees in this world but they're much more rare. Good, I was under the impression that removing rupees entirely in the overworld is a bit much.

Just like in real life, occasionally you really do find money on the floor. :)

I bet there'll still be hidden stashes of cash in the occasional cave here or there with a chest full of rupee bounty.

WPS

So you can find rupees in this world but they're much more rare. Good, I was under the impression that removing rupees entirely in the overworld is a bit much.

What might be cool is a sidequest involving the Minish, and once you've helped them hearts and rupee's would begin to appear in the grass again. It would have to be fairly late game though, or a very gradual change as you complete more quests.

I updated the OP with a link to a website who gathered all the craft items from the Treehouse stream

website is in french but not the screenshots.

http://www.millenium.org/zelda/accu...iu-nx-link-cuisine-potion-craft-145559?page=1

Translated list
  1. Introduction
  2. Plants
  3. Insects
  4. ores
  5. Drop monsters and meat
  6. Dishes and potions
  7. Quest items
  8. recipes known

Late to the party, but this is pretty cool. But how did players in the demo manage to catch bugs? I didn't think there any bottles or bug-catching nets?

Probably every single game that puts any emphasis on realistic and/or fun physics. It's cool, but it's hardly anything ground breaking.

I think the potential is that in many games like Just Cause that utilize a physics engine are never incentivized to use them in level design. By comparison there's a very good reason to use this see saw trick here in order to solve problems. I love games like Trine that use physics in puzzle design but the Zelda team using it can potentially result in significantly more variety than even that.

RagnarokX

6uXsAKk.jpg

A7SMQ6c.jpg

Y4uHIxb.jpg

V1UzyMz.jpg

So I was watching some footage and noticed some Hylian I missed.

Whenever you acquire a rune the text in the sheikah slate refers to what number ITEM it is. So this confirms that runes = items.

Also the items have a specific order according to the slate.

Banned
6uXsAKk.jpg

A7SMQ6c.jpg

Y4uHIxb.jpg

V1UzyMz.jpg

Whenever you acquire a rune the text in the sheikah slate refers to what number ITEM it is. So this confirms that runes = items.

Hnnnng March 2017 please come soon.

RagnarokX

What's interesting is the first quest you get in the game is to go activate the Sheikah Tower. Doing this causes all of the towers to rise out of the ground and activates the shrines so that you can enter them. When you drop down from the tower the Old Man appears and shows you the nearest shrine and asks you to enter it to get the treasure.

What's interesting is the closest shrine after activating them and the one you are told to go to first by an NPC contains the Magnesis rune, which is item 3 according to the Sheikah Slate.

I wonder if you get like a neat bonus if you do the 4 shrines on the plateau in the "correct" order: bomb, magnesis, stasis, cryosis.

I wonder how much you'll be able to cheese the game by using fairies to revive yourself after being launched.

I could see them implementing a system where faeries (if they are in the game) only work from taking damage from an attack. It could be explained as if you lose toe hearts from damage you have just enough strength to open a bottle, but if you fall a huge distance you would die instantly and not be able to use it.

That or make there a cutoff of the damage you take from the final hit only causes fairies to work if it's less than your max health

Kurt

I'll hope that there will be classic items in the game such as boomerang and hookshot. (I know there are already a few)

Regiruler

6uXsAKk.jpg

A7SMQ6c.jpg

Y4uHIxb.jpg

V1UzyMz.jpg

Only one item we haven't seen? That's disappointing. Not to mention two of them are bombs.

Only one item we haven't seen? That's disappointing. Not to mention two of them are bombs.

I have a feeling the list will expand when you go over the sixth item.

There probably won't be too many items though, the whole point is to use the ones you have in interesting ways together, so I think they'll keep it more simple this time around.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
What's interesting is the first quest you get in the game is to go activate the Sheikah Tower. Doing this causes all of the towers to rise out of the ground and activates the shrines so that you can enter them. When you drop down from the tower the Old Man appears and shows you the nearest shrine and asks you to enter it to get the treasure.

What's interesting is the closest shrine after activating them and the one you are told to go to first by an NPC contains the Magnesis rune, which is item 3 according to the Sheikah Slate.

I wonder if you get like a neat bonus if you do the 4 shrines on the plateau in the "correct" order: bomb, magnesis, stasis, cryosis.

You might not get the Magnesis rune from that shrine in the final game.

ReyVGM

I have a feeling the list will expand when you go over the sixth item.

There probably won't be too many items though, the whole point is to use the ones you have in interesting ways together, so I think they'll keep it more simple this time around.

Yeah, and stuff that were items in other games (like the Hammer, Fire Rod), are just regular weapons now that are still use a puzzle-solving items.

RagnarokX

You might not get the Magnesis rune from that shrine in the final game.
Not likely. The areas around each shrine were designed with obstacles specifically requiring the runes of their shrines (Magnesis has a pond with metal treasure chests underwater that you need to lift up with magnesis, Bomb has bombable walls around it, Stasis has a huge boulder that you can only move with stasis to reach a treasure chest, and Cryonis has a freezing pond with a chest on an island in the middle that you can only reach with cryonis.
Doubtful, since following a specific order would directly contradict the focus on free exploring.

Giving the items a specific order in the menu already goes against that as much as inserting a bonus line of dialog for collecting the items in the order they are listed in would. And the fact that you have to activate the tower before you can even enter any of the shrines and make the other towers appear. And you have to do the 4 shrines on the plateau to get the paraglider so you can leave the plateau. Game already has plenty that contradicts that.

I'm somewhat concerned for enemy variety, the Bokoblins and Stalbokoblins have a lot of reactions and what not but does that mean there aren't going to be many different types of enemies? Skyward Sword had a rather large issue with this and constantly fighting similar enemies throughout the game.

I'm somewhat concerned for enemy variety, the Bokoblins and Stalbokoblins have a lot of reactions and what not but does that mean there aren't going to be many different types of enemies? Skyward Sword had a rather large issue with this and constantly fighting similar enemies throughout the game.

One can assume the enemy pool gets larger outside the plateau, or if possible, more enemies can just be added into the mix by the final release.

This is also something I'm worried about. I swear if there aren't Darknuts this time around, Idk what I'll do. I thought they were the most obvious pick for SS, but nope.

Of course, I expect they will still be scattered throughout the world as one of the most common enemy, but please, not to the point it was in SS.

Aldric

Keeses, Chuchus, Guardians, Steppe Talus? Plus the tall horned beast fought in the trailer, or the giant roaming skeleton, or that gigantic monster in Death Mountain? I don't think enemy variety will be an issue.

One can assume the enemy pool gets larger outside the plateau, or if possible, more enemies can just be added into the mix by the final release.

I mean on the plateau, the player encounters Stalbokoblins, Bokoblins, Blue Bokoblins, Keese, Ice Keese, Chu-Chus, Ice Chu-Chus, Mini Guardians and the Bokoblins/Stalbokoblins have different attacks depending if they're using a spear, bow or Club or no weapon. It's pretty decent variety for the first area of the game (More than pretty much every 3D zelda), I just hope there's a lot more enemies to come. We've seen about 9 enemies not including the Guardians and Bosses.

Chaos17

Someone didn't watched closely the stream...

TheMoon

Why would you be concerned when you've only see the starting area and the trailer has already shown you more?

Why would you be concerned when you've only see the starting area and the trailer has already shown you more?

1 more. Just one. I don't expect massive amounts of enemies like I would in a combat focused game like a Souls game. Just enough to keep me on my toes in the overworld.

TheMoon

1 more. Just one. I don't expect massive amounts of enemies like I would in a combat focused game like a Souls game. Just enough to keep me on my toes in the overworld.

Just a little recap. So far we've seen:

Playable demo:​
Bokoblins (red) - basic grunt-type enemies carrying various weapons
Bokoblins (blue) - elite version
Stalbokoblins - skeleton that appear at night in groups
Blue Chus - split into smaller Chus when hit with a sharp weapon.
Keese - bats (we've seen those, right?)
Ice Keese - bats with ice-aura
Mini-Guardian - found in Shrines, agile, shoots beam
Guardian (stationary) - reminiscent of a Beamos

Video only:​
Guardian (mobile) - aggressive pursuer, lots of hp
Purple troll enemy - big dude, seems to act alone

Unique:​
Steppe Talus - big rock enemy, hidden
Big Skeleton Thing in the desert (video only)

#########

Remember, that's all just in the starting area and some tiny hints in the trailer.

Top Bottom