• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Wii U - Recap of 5 hours gameplay stream

Dimmle

I dig the way Zelda games approach continuity. You have little sub-series or arcs with the potential for continuation but there's always the possibility (and even expectation) for completely lateral moves with absolutely no pressure to maintain a sense of cohesion across all entries. It's just enough serialization to maintain investment while keeping the greater narrative loose enough to evoke the sense of renewal that brings in new fans and keeps old fans from losing interest.

I'm sure many fans would prefer a more traditional, sequential approach but that kind of Witcher-like devotion to canon just wouldn't feel right. Zelda has always been about maintaining a mysterious allure in world and story. My lizard brain appreciates the official timeline's pained exercise in rationalizing order but it'll always be an afterthought to me.

smudge

It might not be obvious, but it's there all the same.

Note that I'm not saying they have some sort of master plan outlining a timeline for Zelda's chronology for the next 10 years, just that every single Zelda is intentionally and deliberately placed in a timeline ever since Zelda II.

How important it is to anyone is a matter of preference, which is why it's great that the games aren't very heavy handed or too hung up on timeline connections. They're there and they're undeniable, if someone doesn't notice them, understand them or care about them, that's another subject entirely.

Yes, well consider me converted, I personally may not care about the overarching timeline, but I do love me some Zelda :D

I will concede that they are connected, I never doubted that. I just don't think the games are intentionally following any kind of predetermined story or path.

Bar Tri Force Heroes which isn't really relevant to anything else, every single game has a pretty determined link to at least one other game, always evident from things we see in-game.

There certainly isn't a master plan for story, though.

- Zelda II is a follow-up to Zelda 1, picking up from the defeat of Ganon in the first game.
- LttP tells the story of how Hyrule and the Triforce came to be, then tells us where Ganon came from and how the Triforce came to be in the hands of the Hylians.
- LA is a follow-up to LttP, picking up during Link's voyage by ship a few years after the defeat of Ganon in LttP.
- OoT tells the story of the seven sages who sealed Ganon prior to LttP.
- MM is a follow-up to OoT, picking up a few months after Link returns to the time of his childhood.
- OoS/OoA falls between LttP and LA, explaining a plot to revive Ganon after his defeat and ending with Link leaving on the voyage shown in LA.
- TWW tells the story of Ganon's return after the Hero of Time disappeared into time after defeating Ganondorf in OoT.
- FS itself doesn't have any explicit links to other games, but FSA features a resurrected Ganon (the game this is connected to isn't clear in-game, tbh) and Vaati, and TMC shows the origin of the Four Sword and Vaati; there's at least an internal consistency among these games.
- TP tells the story of how the sages managed to subdue Ganon before he could act in OoT, but he got the Triforce of Power anyway (time travel shenanigans?) and they were forced to seal him in the Twilight Realm.
- PH tells the story of where Link and Tetra went after the end of TWW.
- ST tells the story of the kingdom Link and Tetra founded after TWW.
- SS tells the origin story of the Master Sword, the Hylian race, and Hyrule society.
- ALBW is a distant follow-on to LttP that describes invaders from another world trying to recreate the events of LttP to capture the Triforce for their world.

Even TFH has a defined placement, though:

- TFH is a side-story follow-on to ALBW that describes a plight Link volunteers to solve in another kingdom

War Eagle

What about it specifically? Not sure what aspect you're confused on.

But just to post something possibly useful; at the future of OoT Hyrule Castle was totally and completely leveled by Ganondorf and replaced by his own castle floating over lava, which Link then destroyed completely battling him. In the Adult timeline and Downfall timelines it remained so, Child timeline circumvented his rise so the original Hyrule Castle was still standing. If BotW is a direct sequel to OoT in the Downfall timeline set 100 years after, how did the Hyrule Castle the Old Man specifically points to in the demo come in to being? In WW a lot of time passed between OoT and the Great Flood so it made sense a new castle was built. But with BotW the idea seems to be that immediately following Link's defeat Zelda and the Sages contained Calamity Ganon. But how do they contain him in a castle that no longer exists?

Okay, just to play devil's advocate here... how did Gannon create his castle floating over lava in just 7 years? How is it even floating over lava? Why is there a rainbow bridge? I'm going to go with magic. Why couldn't the old Hyrule Castle come back once Ganon is defeated? (Whether by Link in the adult timeline or sealed by Zelda and the sages in the fallen hero timeline)

That, IMO, is something that can be easily explained away by the use of magic in the Zelda universe.

Feffe

tbh there's always had been an overall Zelda timeline, even before Hyrule Historia. Nobody in the fandom argued that WW is after OoT or that ALTTP is a prequel to the first Zelda. There were three narrative arcs everybody recognised
Code:
   / MM - TP
OoT 
   \ WW - PH - ST

OoT - ALTTP - OoX - LA - Zelda I - AOL

MC - FS - FSA

The problem was how these three arcs are interconnected. Is ALTTP after TP or WW? If it's after WW, does it takes place in the New Hyrule or in the old one, after the Deku Three's plan succeeded? What's the link between the Four Swords saga and the other games?

It was heavenly speculated that TP and FSA were going to be the link between the old games and the newer ones, taking place between MM and ALTTP: the Master Sword in TP is in the same location of ALTTP and FSA tells the story behind Ganon's Trident with a map layout similar to ALTTP. Too bad Miyamoto forced the team to simplify the story, but some mentions of the Master Sword were found in the game code. The third branch "hat if the Hero of Time died?" was plan B.

CaVaYeRo

Reading it now...

Did you not gave any more details about the storyline that you saw because you were asked to ? We kinda just know that Link just slept for 100 years and that it...

Then what will you reply to people who said that the world look "blend" ? That's what of the most complain.

Did you see Link tame other animals than just horses ?

Could you give us more details about this because we've only saw "sunny" videos.

That's a good thing to hear! A lot of people are on the fence about tiems durability.

That will reassure people, the lack of rupees icon on the main screen worried some.

Thanks for the review :)

Haha thanks. Yeah, was told several things, other saw them myself. Boar taming is in, afaik.

Here's part of what I played, 30 min+ of gameplay being a happy n00b:

http://www.gamereactor.es/noticias/309573/Nuevo+gameplay+de+Zelda+Breath+of+the+Wild+demostrativo/

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Okay, just to play devil's advocate here... how did Gannon create his castle floating over lava in just 7 years? How is it even floating over lava? Why is there a rainbow bridge? I'm going to go with magic. Why couldn't the old Hyrule Castle come back once Ganon is defeated? (Whether by Link in the adult timeline or sealed by Zelda and the sages in the fallen hero timeline)

That, IMO, is something that can be easily explained away by the use of magic in the Zelda universe.

True yeah, they could definitely just pull the old magic card to explain stuff, or just not bother addressing it at all. Most people probably won't care or notice when you get right down to it.

That said Ganondorf, besides having the Power piece of the Triforce to help him, doesn't seem like a guy that was opposed to forced labor. And technically at the end of the Downfall version of OoT he had the whole Triforce. So Zelda and Co. shouldn't have had use that to aid them, not that there probably aren't other magical means in the world to draw on.

There is also the fact that the Great Plateau looks to be the remains of Hyrule Castle and Town from OoT. Thus the walls surrounding the whole place and stuff. So if magic were indeed the solution to this all that would mean Zelda and the sages created a totally new castle, or brought back the old one, but did so far away from the actual former site of that original Hyrule Castle and then immediately trapped Ganon within the castle for the past 100 years. Sounds kind of dumb and illogical, even for Nintendo. Plus you also have the whole Guardian aspect of it and how they played a part in all this.

My biggest issue with it all is that if they really are making this a sequel to OoT, bringing back that Link again to be the protagonist, not simply referencing those events loosely, but directly continuing them just 100 years later, it feels odd to have such inconsistencies between them beyond the obvious scale issues of recreating the world. They're not dealing with a Legend in this case like in most of the games. To some NPCs in the world 100 years might seem like ages ago, but for the principal participants it's not just a story it's reality and fact. Same for players. OoT is the most popular game in the franchise, it just sold like 5 million copies just a few years ago on the 3DS.

Were this like TP or WW and set many many generations later and did not reuse the same Link who has been asleep for 100 years then I'd be fine with the contradictions. It's what happens both in real Legend and updating older games. But the fact that it would be a direct sequel and not just a game that takes place after the fact kind of irks me. Especially because I really don't want it to be a direct sequel covering the events many are speculating it will.

My biggest issue with it all is that if they really are making this a sequel to OoT, bringing back that Link again to be the protagonist, not simply referencing those events loosely, but directly continuing them just 100 years later, it feels odd to have such inconsistencies between them beyond the obvious scale issues of recreating the world.

If the idea that this Link is a resurrected version of the fallen OoT Link holds true...

Who's to say they brought back the dead OoT Link immediately after he was slain? Couldn't they have succeeded at holding Ganon at bay for some time (decades or even centuries), but then he returned and they were forced to take more drastic measures?

RAWi

What if this is a new timline for Wind Waker's ending?

After Wind Waker - Link Wins -> Phantom Hourglass -> Spirit Tracks

After Wind Waker - Ganondorf Wins -> Breath of the Wild

That would explain the big lake near the Temple of Time. Also, the appearance of Koroks... and the King of Red Lions (aka the Old King), appearing as a hobo!

Ganondorf loses and revives the old drowned Hyrule, and since now we don't have a Link, one Link needs to be revived (?)

I don't know anymore, haha.

Just in case it hasn't been posted: Jose, Peer & Brian talked about Zelda with Bill Trinen on this weeks Nintendo Voice Chat.

He mentioned that there's a point in the game where you have a choice whether or not you want to focus on open world stuff like Shrines, main story quests or discover more of Link's past. We already knew that you could finish the game without learning about Link and his past, but I think this the first time we've had confirmation that it's a separate quest line.

Nintendo Voice Chat on YouTube

He also mentioned being able to hover using Magnesis, which really dumb, but also pretty cool.

Matbtz

Just in case it hasn't been posted: Jose, Peer & Brian talked about Zelda with Bill Trinen on this weeks Nintendo Voice Chat.

He mentioned that there's a point in the game where you have a choice whether or not you want to focus on open world stuff like Shrines, main story quests or discover more of Link's past. We already knew that you could finish the game without learning about Link and his past, but I think this the first time we've had confirmation that it's a separate quest line.

He also mentioned being able to hover using Magnesis, which really dumb, but also pretty cool.
Was about to post it :) Nothing too new but that was interesting !
Yep he confirmed that NPC could give you quests.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
If the idea that this Link is a resurrected version of the fallen OoT Link holds true...

Who's to say they brought back the dead OoT Link immediately after he was slain? Couldn't they have succeeded at holding Ganon at bay for some time (decades or even centuries), but then he returned and they were forced to take more drastic measures?

I posited something along those lines earlier here or in the timeline thread, but that doesn't really make sense given the game is rather explicit about Calamity Ganon appearing exactly 100 years ago and Link being asleep for 100 years. They could just as easily have said a Century or for a very long time which would give them the necessary wiggle room, but they gave an exact number for both. Giving the impression that the appearance of the former caused the slumber of the latter. It somewhat rules out the idea that Zelda and the Sages trapped Ganon in the Sacred Realm, had an extended period of peace, only to then have him get back out and contained within the new Hyrule Castle for the 100 years because that would mean Link was asleep or dead for a whole lot longer than that.

That's one of a few reasons why I think and hope this game follows AoL and not OoT. Personally I would find a game set after the originals to be a whole lot more interesting. It's the setting with the least development and modern trappings of the series that is often forgotten and lost in the mix.

AdanVC

Everything in this game sounds amazing so far except the graphic's washed out color palette it's using. Don't know if its my monitor or something else but I'm seriously not a fan of that wash out look. Like everything has a pass of vaseline. Wish it could look more vibrant and colorful. Despite of that I will literally buy 10 copies of this game.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Everything in this game sounds amazing so far except the graphic's washed out color palette it's using. Don't know if its my monitor or something else but I'm seriously not a fan of that wash out look. Like everything has a pass of vaseline. Wish it could look more vibrant and colorful. Despite of that I will literally buy 10 copies of this game.

Pretty sure that was an issue with Nintendo's streaming or capturing. Lots of off screen vids showed much richer and saturated colors than what the live stream or trailer showed.

Well doesn't the voice (Zelda) say "you've been asleep for 100 years" which doesn't imply that he actually ever died? I know it's a "resurrection" chamber but the way they talk about it seems more like a recovery chamber.

But are you suggesting that maybe like 500 years after OoT where Link failed, they dug up his body and put it in the resurrection chamber, and now 100 years after that he's come back to life? That seems a bit morbid for Zelda, though I guess Zelda has explored some pretty dark themes in the past.

Edit:

I posited something along those lines earlier here or in the timeline thread, but that doesn't really make sense given the game is rather explicit about Calamity Ganon appearing exactly 100 years ago and Link being asleep for 100 years. They could just as easily have said a Century or for a very long time which would give them the necessary wiggle room, but they gave an exact number for both. Giving the impression that the appearance of the former caused the slumber of the latter. It somewhat rules out the idea that Zelda and the Sages trapped Ganon in the Sacred Realm, had an extended period of peace, only to then have him get back out and contained within the new Hyrule Castle for the 100 years because that would mean Link was asleep or dead for a whole lot longer than that.

That's one of a few reasons why I think and hope this game follows AoL and not OoT. Personally I would find a game set after the originals to be a whole lot more interesting. It's the setting with the least development and modern trappings of the series that is often forgotten and lost in the mix.

I agree with all of this. I think post AoL is ripe for good exploration and storytelling, especially in this case because AoL had by far the biggest world of any Zelda game (so far), what with 8 separate towns.

Oh, interesting! I wonder if anyone can give us a good summary of that, those NVC episodes are pretty long.

I remember seeing a video where someone tried and failed lifting a metal door with Magnesis while standing on it, so either it's not possible in the E3 demo, it's tied to a rune upgrade, or it's only possible in certain circumstances.

Well doesn't the voice (Zelda) say "you've been asleep for 100 years" which doesn't imply that he actually ever died? I know it's a "resurrection" chamber but the way they talk about it seems more like a recovery chamber.

How shocking that they wouldn't blow the load that the main character was previously dead in the first 30 minutes of the game!

But are you suggesting that maybe like 500 years after OoT where Link failed, they dug up his body and put it in the resurrection chamber, and now 100 years after that he's come back to life? That seems a bit morbid for Zelda, though I guess Zelda has explored some pretty dark themes in the past.

Think of it as a literal reversal of the "Ganon's minions revive him" plot.

I posited something along those lines earlier here or in the timeline thread, but that doesn't really make sense given the game is rather explicit about Calamity Ganon appearing exactly 100 years ago and Link being asleep for 100 years.

Unless this game is before Ocarina of Time (which seems super unlikely given that the same Temple of Time from that game is in ruins), Calamity Ganon isn't the first time Ganon has appeared anyway. He'd have shown up at some point before, been sealed away, and then returned somehow. That return would still have taken place 100 years before Breath of the Wild.

How shocking that they wouldn't blow the load that the main character was previously dead in the first 30 minutes of the game!

Err, but the area you start the game in is called "resurrection chamber." That already implies that he was dead. Only after that does Zelda say he was "asleep" for 100 years, which makes me at least lean more towards he was nearly dead and needed to be revitalized through the resurrection chamber.

Basically, if in fact he was dead, I very much doubt that's supposed to be a secret. I just happen to think the "asleep" comment makes me shy away from him being actually dead for ages, and more like about to die or just barely dead
cue Princess Bride quotes.

But... that's just very convoluted! We already have a mechanism to bring Link back every time- the reincarnation of the Hero of Time. Why add something so needlessly complex? Not that I doubt this is a possibility, but it just doesn't seem to be the MO of modern Zelda stories to reuse the exact same Link character, especially after Skyward Sword just came out of and established the reincarnation system. And especially since this is stated to be a brand new game and brand new world in so many ways.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

Unless this game is before Ocarina of Time (which seems super unlikely given that the same Temple of Time from that game is in ruins), Calamity Ganon isn't the first time Ganon has appeared anyway. He'd have shown up at some point before, been sealed away, and then returned somehow. That return would still have taken place 100 years before Breath of the Wild.

That's just bad writing in that case though. It's all for the player's benefit, but serves no purpose to lie to Link that he actually died much longer ago and the sleep thing was either a total lie or just a half truth.

"Hey you've been asleep for 100 years, crazy right." *10 Hours Later* "Hey remember whent I told you that you were asleep for 100 years, gotcha. You actually died dude and that was like 500 years ago, then we revived your ass because this crazy bastard showed up out of nowhere but then kept you on ice for another 100 years just because reasons. Why did I hide this from you? Because then I'd never get to see that look on your face."

majik13

Yup.

https://youtu.be/dar1t_L2wBk?t=2m26s

2:27 > Chico is saying something about the dot or map but I don't understand it (english isn't my first language).

Wow. So the map is even bigger indeed.

Chico says that there's even more stuff for you to do behind that red dot, which Aonuma confirms.

I dunno, both markers are still well within the dark blue map boundaries. And behind the red dot is the blue dot, which is also still within the map boundaries. So I wouldn't take any of this as confirmation just yet.

Err, but the area you start the game in is called "resurrection chamber." That already implies that he was dead.

Then why is there even a debate about whether he was dead? It's apparently super self-evident!

A few general comments:

- There's plenty of reason to not come out and tell someone who's finally awake for the first time in 100 years and doesn't really have much of a memory that they were actually dead (or practically dead) and had to be resurrected. Can you imagine what that'd be like for you if that's the first thing you learned about yourself while you're suffering from amnesia? Besides, we already have a case where the mysterious voice is telling you to "remember" instead of just coming out and telling you everything at the outset. That's how this story's gonna be told.

- I find it hard to believe that there won't be a reason why there's a latency of 100 years before Link can wake up and kick Ganon's ass. Whether that's because the resurrection/healing process takes that long, because preparations need to be made, or whatever.

- Just because the hero gets reincarnated every once in awhile doesn't necessarily mean it's going to happen every single time it could possibly happen. The entire backstory of The Wind Waker turns on no hero showing up to save the day before the world's so close to being decimated by evil that the gods decide to flood the place. It's possible that something like that is happening here.

Then why is there even a debate about whether he was dead? It's apparently super self-evident!

The rest of the post you quoted explains my thinking there.

A few general comments:

- There's plenty of reason to not come out and tell someone who's finally awake for the first time in 100 years and doesn't really have much of a memory that they were actually dead (or practically dead) and had to be resurrected. Can you imagine what that'd be like for you if that's the first thing you learned about yourself while you're suffering from amnesia? Besides, we already have a case where the mysterious voice is telling you to "remember" instead of just coming out and telling you everything at the outset. That's how this story's gonna be told.

I agree completely with this- the story will be told relating the 100-years-in-the-past to Link and how it affected the present. I am saying that this is precisely the reason why this game isn't 100 years after OoT, and this is the hero who failed- because then the backstory that will be told throughout this game is OoT, which we all know, and they would have to explain in detail how/why the hero failed, when everyone who's played OoT knows that didn't happen in the version they know. It brings that specific part of the split timeline under a microscope, which is not something Nintendo should do, since we all know that specific split was kind of shoehorned in. Sure, it makes sense when looking at a broad history, but it's another story to relive that failure which is so contrary to the experiences we had in OoT.

That's my main argument. Now, could this be the OoT Link who failed, and then tried again years later and ended up dying/nearly dying in a completely different battle? I doubt it but maybe, I don't have nearly as big a problem of that because the whole "hero failing in OoT" is not explicitly shown, whereas if this is directly 100 years after OoT then it sorta has to be shown.

- I find it hard to believe that there won't be a reason why there's a latency of 100 years before Link can wake up and kick Ganon's ass. Whether that's because the resurrection/healing process takes that long, because preparations need to be made, or whatever.

Of course that's likely the reason, I don't think anyone was arguing otherwise.

- Just because the hero gets reincarnated every once in awhile doesn't necessarily mean it's going to happen every single time it could possibly happen. The entire backstory of The Wind Waker turns on no hero showing up to save the day before the world's so close to being decimated by evil that the gods decide to flood the place. It's possible that something like that is happening here.

That's definitely true, and I had that thought myself- maybe the Sheikah knew the hero would not be reincarnated so they took it upon themselves to try to revive an old Link- maybe this is before the Great Flood, though it would need to have another timeline branch if we were to have a happy ending.

But thinking about specifically the OoT Link- every time Nintendo has used a previous Link in a new game, he has had the exact same art style and design. This Link is so radically different in design than OoT Link that I seriously doubt it's supposed to be the same guy.

Really I'm just going to have to agree to disagree with people who think this is 100 years after OoT and this is OoT Link who failed- it's getting to be kind of circular and irrelevant to the thread overall.

What are your thoughts on Link's 'well worn clothes'? He's obviously outgrown them since he was put in the chamber. If this is a Link we've seen before, it implies it was a young Link.

MajorMane

What if this is a new timline for Wind Waker's ending?

After Wind Waker - Link Wins -> Phantom Hourglass -> Spirit Tracks

After Wind Waker - Ganondorf Wins -> Breath of the Wild

That would explain the big lake near the Temple of Time. Also, the appearance of Koroks... and the King of Red Lions (aka the Old King), appearing as a hobo!

Ganondorf loses and revises the old drowned Hyrule, and since now we don't have a Link, one Link needs to be revived (?)

I don't know anymore, haha.

There's actually a video with someone arguing that that could be the case. A new timeline split in WW where Ganon actually touches the Triforce first...

Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWi0RJVHcZ0

I do believe that this happens with the Imprisoning War as well in Zelda's lore. The Sages of that time only sealed away Ganon and the Sacred Realm after no hero stepped forth to save them with the Master Sword. So, yes, it's been established several times that the Hero doesn't always reincarnate at the proper times.

Servbot24

Banned
I've always preferred the vague notion of continuity but not thinking about it too much. That's my approach to Souls as well, it makes the world feel more magical when you don't know as much.

Wow, so thats why they always joke on Jose's height

[Having Ocarina of Time Link being the hero that failed] brings that specific part of the split timeline under a microscope, which is not something Nintendo would do, since we all know that specific split was kind of shoehorned in.

The entire plot of Twilight Princess is an exploration of what Ganondorf did after Ocarina of Time Link stopped him from entering the Sacred Realm as a child.

Even The Wind Waker represented a kind of "what if no one stopped Ganon after he escaped the Sacred Realm" scenario relative to A Link to the Past when it first came out. The Hylian text in the intro even comes out and says that Link wasn't around because the Hero of Time had vanished into the folds of time - a reference to the idea that he vanished from that timeline.

In both cases, the events of Ocarina of Time aren't ever directly witnessed as part of the new narrative, only alluded to.

I'm not sure the idea that the split timeline would be a part of the story is as impossible as you're thinking it is. If Link can change history, and if those changes can drive the plot of entire games, the same can be true for other actors in the Hyrule universe.

The way they refer to Ocarina of Time could be as simple as:

"Hundreds of years ago, a hero who slumbered through time rose to challenge Ganon. The legends stated that he would defeat Ganon and bring light to the land...but there was a disturbance in the ripples of fate, and the hero was defeated."

"You are that hero. You are the one who was destined to defeat Ganon. You were supposed to succeed, all those years ago... and now, with the bloodline of the hero broken, you are the only hope we have of defeating him in this age."

Obviously there'd be a bit more to that story, of course, but you get the idea.

The entire plot of Twilight Princess is an exploration of what Ganondorf did after Ocarina of Time Link stopped him from entering the Sacred Realm as a child.

Even The Wind Waker represented a kind of "what if no one stopped Ganon after he escaped the Sacred Realm" scenario relative to A Link to the Past when it first came out. The Hylian text in the intro even comes out and says that Link wasn't around because the Hero of Time had vanished into the folds of time - a reference to the idea that he vanished from that timeline.

In both cases, the events of Ocarina of Time aren't ever directly witnessed as part of the new narrative, only alluded to.

I'm not sure the idea that the split timeline would be a part of the story is as impossible as you're thinking it is. If Link can change history, and if those changes can drive the plot of entire games, the same can be true for other actors in the Hyrule universe.

The way they refer to Ocarina of Time could be as simple as:

"Hundreds of years ago, a hero who slumbered through time rose to challenge Ganon. The legends stated that he would defeat Ganon and bring light to the land...but there was a disturbance in the ripples of fate, and the hero was defeated."

"You are that hero. You are the one who was destined to defeat Ganon. You were supposed to succeed, all those years ago... and now, with the bloodline of the hero broken, you are the only hope we have of defeating him in this age."

Obviously there'd be a bit more to that story, of course, but you get the idea.

Now I feel like we're saying the same thing- my original argument was directed to those who expected this Link to be the exact same Link from OoT, and his backstory from 100 years ago would be explained in the game specifically as the events of OoT in which Link was defeated.

I've been saying all along that if they were going to refer back to a previous game it would not be directly stated, and it would be alluded to like a legend, which is essentially the way you put it.

So yeah, I totally agree that they could do that. I just don't think they could, should or would specifically make it clear that OoT was 100 years ago and that this Link is specifically that same Link who failed in the final battle with Ganon. That was really the crux of my argument.

AdanVC

Pretty sure that was an issue with Nintendo's streaming or capturing. Lots of off screen vids showed much richer and saturated colors than what the live stream or trailer showed.

Ohhh so relieved to know that! Hope they can go ahead and make it even more vibrant why not? hah.

TheMoon

Wow. So the map is even bigger indeed.

Chico says that there's even more stuff for you to do behind that red dot, which Aonuma confirms.
What about this then ? (I know someone already checked on previous page but multiple check won"t hurt)

https://youtu.be/dar1t_L2wBk?t=2m26s

2:27 > Chico is saying something about the dot on map but I don't understand it (english isn't my first language).

Obviously, because behind the red dot, there's the purple dot and a lot of visible space.

The blacked out faded border is not hiding more map. What we see outlined there is it.

As much as we're expecting many content already, let's not forget that Nintendo is into DLC all the way now.
So, yeah, I totally expects DLC at some point (in 2018).

Nah. Makes little sense here. They're into DLC when it makes sense.

Where'd you hear that? That would mean this game is huge!

It's only in every interview/video :D

Nah. Makes little sense here. They're into DLC when it makes sense.

DLC makes perfect sense here, since they can bolt on new endgame/sidequest content based on the kinds of stuff people are asking for/enjoyed without having to wait to develop a whole new game.

And continuing to expand the world/story/lore of this particular game with DLC definitely makes much more sense than their traditional approach of expanding the world/story/lore with sequels that take 5 years and hundreds of people to develop.

About the Hero has Fallen Timeline:
I think it would be cool to explore. In fact, I was suggesting the Sheik game that Miyamoto expressed interest in would be the one to explain it, but this could be directly tied into this game.
You start the game in a resurrection chamber, maybe Link dies while fighting Ganondorf and is taken by the Sheikah/sages and is healed.
Zelda doesn't have a timeline, guys. They threw something together but it's BS. It's like a reimagining every single game. No continuity whatsoever.
It does, you don't need to know about it to enjoy the games, but it's there for those that want it.
There is a timeline split in OoT (though a 3rd one is questionable) and the results are seen directly after in MM->TP and WW.
Some of the older games make it harder to piece together since they likely weren't thinking too much about it back then so adding them all in is a bit messy, but at least SS, OoT, MM, TP, and WW have a set place.

TheMoon

DLC makes perfect sense here, since they can bolt on new endgame/sidequest content based on the kinds of stuff people are asking for/enjoyed without having to wait to develop a whole new game.

And continuing to expand the world/story/lore of this particular game with DLC definitely makes much more sense than their traditional approach of expanding the world/story/lore with sequels that take 5 years and hundreds of people to develop.

I'm very sure they're not gonna do that.

Fun bet on "no (expansion) DLC"

:D

maxcriden

Timeline aficionados, does it bother you to think LBW Link goes on to star in TFH? I like it personally, but I could see some fans finding it irksome.

zeldablue

Man. I would eat up all the DLC. Assuming it's not just outfits and stuff like that.

Maybe a side game where you get to play as a new character. Yusssss...

TheMoon

They could easily add more shrines and maybe one or two additional dungeons as DLC.

"could easily do X" often doesn't align with Nintendo M.O./philosophy :D

Man. I would eat up all the DLC. Assuming it's not just outfits and stuff like that.

Maybe a side game where you get to play as a new character. Yusssss...

That's what I actually want. Reuse the engine and some of the assets where it makes sense to build that god damn Sheik game we've wanted forever.

maxcriden

humans are just garbage at multiplication

Nintendo chose the 1-2% number, plateau is about a percent of the area, and has 4 shrines (which would be slightly less than 2% if there's "over a hundred")

the game is gonna be big enough, no one should make up fake expectations for it that it clearly won't deliver on

I think it's in the off-plateau video, when Bill is placing markers he's pointing the tablet northwest, and the visible mountains that were furthest away could not be marked (as indicated by the little red dot vanishing) which would mean that they are not playable area.

Game is already huge. No need to pretend it's going to be way bigger.

Sorry, I'm not sure I follow. You think the Plateau representative ts more than 2%? And that expecting 98% more is unrealistic?

And, that stuff in the E3 Bill marker vid, some of it beyond the playable area? That part I didn't think of at all but I understand why you'd say that and agree it's best to temper expectations. My first paragraph, tho, that part I'm not sure I'm following on.

It looks WAY bigger than the one at the end of the trailer. This one is literally like 1/5 (or so) the length of Death Mountain, which looks massive in itself.

I expect rideable boss fights a la SotC.

maxcriden

I love that map, and it shows some of the shallow ocean borders nicely as Graphics Horse was talking about above.

The western side does extend outside the map a decent amount, so we'll see how that ends up fitting into the final game world.

I wonder what kind of barriers there will be... invisible walls? "Turn back now"s? Maybe impassible gorges or oceans?

They love impassible gorges. That's my guess, especially to accentuate the open air feel, but we shall see.

Speaking of which, based on Nintendo's hints, do we expect a fairly expansive ocean or sea area?

They love impassible gorges. That's my guess, especially to accentuate the open air feel, but we shall see.

Speaking of which, based on Nintendo's hints, do we expect a fairly expansive ocean or sea area?

Based on the VGA map I would expect a giant ocean on the entire east side of the map. It showed shallower water sections too (light blue vs dark blue) so I would imagine Link can swim in those shallow sections but a boat would be needed for the deeper sections, or possibly the deeper sections will not be traversable at all.

Aldric

Based on the VGA map I would expect a giant ocean on the entire east side of the map. It showed shallower water sections too (light blue vs dark blue) so I would imagine Link can swim in those shallow sections but a boat would be needed for the deeper sections, or possibly the deeper sections will not be traversable at all.

lf the final map is similar to the VGA one the deeper sections must be traversable because there's a large crescent shaped island in the south east that's separated from the main land by dark blue water.

If they are sticking w/ the Zelda 1 inspiration, an ocean to the east should still be in there. I'll go along w/ predicting unpassable mountains to the north and desert to the west as well.

Top Bottom