• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Tomb Raider’ Bidding War Erupts as MGM Loses Movie Rights (Exclusive) - Vikander no longer attached

bitbydeath

Good News Everyone.

MGM had till May of this year to greenlight a “Tomb Raider” sequel, and the window passed. A host of Hollywood movie studios are in the mix and put in bids, according to multiple insiders with knowledge of the project.
Alicia Vikander, who starred as Lara Croft in 2018’s “Tomb Raider” is no longer attached to the project. Insiders add it’s a complete reboot and there are no casting or director commitments. Rights reverted to the game company, then the game company and Graham King’s GK Films made a deal to rep the IP.

Javthusiast

Banned
Hot Lara about to be back.

23157335_2076540639029987_4612157538234668952_o.png

It's Hollywood, you will get same lame ass reboot Lara storyline and characterization.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Probably for the best. As mentioned in the article they had Misha Green attached to direct the now cancelled sequel. Nothing she has worked on has been good, including the one season then cancelled Lovecraft Country. I liked the book well enough, but the show was boring and silly after the first few episodes. No idea why that show got glowing reviews from critics. Vikander was OK I guess but didn't bring any kind of charisma or charm to the role.

I'd like to see a flashy director(s) take it on, like the Russo brothers. Give it some character without camp.

Lognor

Banned
Why is this good news? I thought the actress that played Lara croft was fine. The movie was certainly better than the Angelina Jolie films.

I don't know that there is a market for another tomb raiser film anyway. Tomb raider has lost a ton of relevance, even though the last game wasn't too long ago.

bitbydeath

Lognor

Banned
She didn’t look or act like her, just a random brunette with a bow.

images
Well wasn't it an origin film? I wouldn't expect her to be the badass she is in the games in an origin film. It was a pretty forgettable film but maybe it was more in line with the most recent TR games that were prequels, I guess.

Well it's a moot point. She's gone.

Why is this good news? I thought the actress that played Lara croft was fine. The movie was certainly better than the Angelina Jolie films.
I'd argue differently. The latest Tomb Raider movie is a perfect example as to why it's extremely boring to just follow a video game script too closely. Also following the latest trilogy game so closely made me realize just how wooden and lacking new Lara's personality truly is. Angelina Jolie at least managed to bring some fun and personality into a video game character who showed very little of both.

I don't know that there is a market for another tomb raiser film anyway. Tomb raider has lost a ton of relevance, even though the last game wasn't too long ago.
I agree. We will need another video game reboot before then so that we can move on from the Lara of the past decade.

Fredrik

I didn't even know this was happening in the first place. Did anyone even want a sequel to that movie? It was so boring it was more forgettable than Fassbender's Assassin's Creed movie.
I… liked both those movies. 🫣
But Alicia Vikander was not a good Lara Croft.

Not idea who I would’ve chosen for a new Lara Croft. Should be British, or able to speak British english very well, have a feisty attitude, fit body with curves, or not against padding the bra (Angelina Jolie did this).
Is there anyone?

TransTrender

Gold Member
I thought MGM was bought buy Amazon, so why wouldn't they make an effort to hold on to the IP? Like even a shit production to meet the bare minimum requirements and quietly release it on Prime Video?

skit_data

I’m totally out of the loop when it comes to celebrity gossip, Vikander is one of swedens biggest actresses and I just now realized shes married to Fassbender and they just had their first child last year. Oh and I haven’t seen the movie.

Fredrik

I’m totally out of the loop when it comes to celebrity gossip, Vikander is one of swedens biggest actresses and I just now realized shes married to Fassbender and they just had their first child last year. Oh and I haven’t seen the movie.
Well that’s news to me lol

See the movie though, it’s quite enjoyable. The casting isn’t as good as the old movies but they at least did a better job at giving her a sassy attitude than either of the reboot games. Rewatched it awhile ago. 6/10

Not idea who I would’ve chosen for a new Lara Croft. Should be British, or able to speak British english very well, have a feisty attitude, fit body with curves, or not against padding the bra (Angelina Jolie did this).
Is there anyone?
Out of all the things you've listed, what matters the most out of your list is what I've highlighted. If we focus too much on the other things you're bringing up, we will end up with another very attractive person who is also wooden/terrible at acting and we will be back at square one but just in a different way.

I've always felt that a Lara Croft movie series should be as expansive and have as many entries as 007 or Mission Impossible, but the ball keeps being dropped on all ends and it's sad to see. They could have kept trying to do it with Jolie's series, but too many video game fans complained. Now you get exactly what you wanted with this latest movie, but then barely anyone cared.

Literally just make a movie like MI or 007, put in Lara Croft, and then put in the correct set pieces, stunts, and plotlines to revolve around hidden treasures. It's so simple yet no one can figure it out. How in the world did live action Dora and the Lost City of Gold figure this out first and become so good and successful? It's shameful.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Yeah something stank about the supposed sequel to the reboot. No way does a film come out in 2018 with a relatively small budget cast but the sequel doesn’t even begin filming within the next 4 years.

Fredrik

Out of all the things you've listed, what matters the most out of your list is what I've highlighted. If we focus too much on the other things you're bringing up, we will end up with another very attractive person who is also wooden/terrible at acting and we will be back at square one but just in a different way.

I've always felt that a Lara Croft movie series should be as expansive and have as many entries as 007 or Mission Impossible, but the ball keeps being dropped on all ends and it's sad to see. They could have kept trying to do it with Jolie's series, but too many video game fans complained. Now you get exactly what you wanted with this latest movie, but then barely anyone cared.

Literally just make a movie like MI or 007, put in Lara Croft, and then put in the correct set pieces, stunts, and plotlines to revolve around hidden treasures. It's so simple yet no one can figure it out. How in the world did live action Dora and the Lost City of Gold figure this out first and become so good and successful? It's shameful.
Another attractive actress who can’t act? Square one? I don’t follow you, we’ve never been at square one for Tomb Raider movies. Angelina Jolie and Alicia Vikander are both attractive and great actresses, but they can still get a script that aren’t highlighting their qualities or doing what’s right for the IP. Angelina Jolie was a perfect fit though, she had the looks, attitude, acting. In what way were gamers complaining on her movies that the result was the latest Tomb Raider? I don’t follow you there. What were the complaints?

NahaNago

I don't really have much faith that a good tomb raider movie will happen again. The Vikander tomb raider movie was pretty meh.

Top Bottom