• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Tomb Raider’ Bidding War Erupts as MGM Loses Movie Rights (Exclusive) - Vikander no longer attached

Fredrik

Yeah that's just, not true at all lol. Did you grow up in the 90s by any chance?

She was meant to be badass but she was most definitely presented as a sex symbol as well.

tumblr_p57tcw6BsI1wut28ko1_1280.jpg

HvVyjwF.jpeg

lara_croft_sexy-640x480.jpg

Lara-Croft-Playstation-Poster-Vintage-Double-sided-59x84cm.jpg

c08adb3ad1a28e26bca6b6610a1b1249.jpg
Lol yeah she flaunted her goods in all kinds of places, that’s how she got so popular in the first place, combined with starring in a great game.

Angelina Jolie did a superb job of capturing what made her popular though. Has there been a better transformation from game to movie? I don’t think so.

Fredrik

Who's that 😳
Kate Beckinsale, the unearthly beauty who played Selene in the Underworld movies (which are great, watch them if you haven’t seen them).
Not sure she would be able to do Tomb Raider, don’t think she want it either, she’s 49 and has already had her action career.

OOGABOOGA

Banned
Yeah that's just, not true at all lol. Did you grow up in the 90s by any chance?

She was meant to be badass but she was most definitely presented as a sex symbol as well.

tumblr_p57tcw6BsI1wut28ko1_1280.jpg

HvVyjwF.jpeg

lara_croft_sexy-640x480.jpg

Lara-Croft-Playstation-Poster-Vintage-Double-sided-59x84cm.jpg

c08adb3ad1a28e26bca6b6610a1b1249.jpg
just because she is posing in a provocative way in a bikini that doesn't mean she is supposed to be sexy or pretty, any girl can do the exact same. I always thought she was just intimidating and badass. it wasn't until Angelina Jolie played the role that people started to think of her that way. same for bayonetta, I never thought of them as sexy or pretty. To me being sexualized in gaming is someone like Tifa Lockhart, she looks so hot 🔥 and has the personality most straight men would find attractive.

Last edited:

Fredrik

it wasn't until Angelina Jolie played the role that people started to think of her that way.
That’s not correct at all, the discussions about Lara Croft’s appearance happened way back right at the release 1996, the original creator even left the studio eventually because he didn’t like how the publisher used Lara in seductive ads and media appearances, there were official real life Lara Croft models as well posing at E3 etc.

Angelina Jolie’s Tomb Raider movie came in 2001, long after Lara Croft was already an icon. She didn’t further sexualize Lara, if you google you’ll find interviews where she says she’s actually disappointed that they didn’t make her sexy enough.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

That’s not correct at all, the discussions about Lara Croft’s appearance happened way back right at the release 1996, the original creator even left the studio eventually because he didn’t like how the publisher used Lara in seductive ads and media appearances, there were official real life Lara Croft models as well posing at E3 etc.

Angelina Jolie’s Tomb Raider movie came in 2001, long after Lara Croft was already an icon. She didn’t further sexualize Lara, if you google you’ll find interviews where she says she’s actually disappointed that they didn’t make her sexy enough.

Perhaps he's from after those days.

Lara Croft was 100% a sex symbol, but at the same time she was a powerful independent woman. Tomb Raider came out in 1996 in the wake of the Spice Girls debut and the Girl Power hype. She was huge, probably second place behind Mario at the time. Every expo, promotion featured Lara Croft. These were always very sexy models cosplaying her. I also saw one at a game store, who was there to promote Tomb Raider 2. In fact, Lara Croft is probably the first gaming character i've seen so widely cosplayed.

In 2001 Lara was past her prime. Tomb Raider didn't really evolve past the first 2 or 3 games, I felt they simply doubled down on higher difficulty with each sequel, with Last Revelation and Chronicles being received rather mixed and Angel of Darkness being universally panned. Tomb Raider was seen as a dead franchise after this game, but the IP was moved to CD and their Legend was a short, accessible and fun game and a huge hit.

Get Disney on it, it’s about time Latinx non-binary fans had a Tomb Raider that looks like them.
The word that 99% of Latinos DO NOT identify as but somehow has been shoved down our throats by Hollywood.

Just imagine some person one day proclaims that you are no longer American. You are AmeriX. For it has been said, so it shall be.

I'd like an R rated Tomb Raider. Lots of blood and lots of action.

Top Bottom