• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 FIFA World Cup Final |OT| Germany defeats Argentina 1-0 after extra time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not often where there's a final where I'd be happy if either team won.

Germany, as I feel they're the best team and deserve it.
Argentina, for the entertainment factor it would cause in Brazil.

iqubal

Banned
Really hoping Argentina take this!

Germany is so strong though and they play like a team. Plus their fans are really awesome and friendly from my experience ( i went to the 2006 world cup in germany).

Vamos Argentina!!!!

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
BqMcLlvIEAArsnc.jpg:large

Arjen

Haha. Oh, and I suppose there's also the Eredivisie starting up a few days before that even, but it's hard to be excited for the Eredivisie.

Nah man, Eredivisie is always entertaining, and don't forget that half the team yesterday were Eredivisie players who beat Brazil.

I don't understand why germany is hyped so much.
I thought the played a pretty mediocre tournament except the matches against Portugal and Brazil. The match against Algeria was pretty bad actually.
Agentina might not have had the huge wins like germany against Portugal and Brazil, but they've been pretty constant in this tournament and they have strong defense.

This won't be easy for germany.

Tagyhag

Can't wait for the match, but it really sucks knowing there's 4 years until the next Cup, this one was too good, and went by too fast.

Kabouter

Nah man, Eredivisie is always entertaining, and don't forget that half the team yesterday were Eredivisie players who beat Brazil.

Don't get me wrong, I still watch and support the greatest team in the Eredivisie, Heracles Almelo, but the quality of play in the Eredivisie declines every year. I don't expect it to be any different this year. There needs to be far more money in the Eredivisie if it wants to improve.

Cancha-Alemania.jpg

No Di Maria. No Aguero. No matter!

Vamos Argentina, carajo.

No Di Maria sucks, but still, good luck! Hoping for a fun match tonight.

LAM09

Don't get me wrong, I still watch and support the greatest team in the Eredivisie, Heracles Almelo, but the quality of play in the Eredivisie declines every year. I don't expect it to be any different this year. There needs to be far more money in the Eredivisie if it wants to improve.

Or stop selling their best talents.

I thought the played a pretty mediocre tournament except the matches against Portugal and Brazil. The match against Algeria was pretty bad actually.
Agentina might not have had the huge wins like germany against Portugal and Brazil, but they've been pretty constant in this tournament and they have strong defense.

It's pretty obvious why they are hyped. They beat France too who looked relatively strong. They killed the Swiss who Argentina barely beat.
Put simply they've been the most convincing team thus far. Having said that it doesn't mean they'll win today.

No Di Maria sucks, but still, good luck! Hoping for a fun match tonight.

Same here. I hope for a clean, safe match from both teams, and may the best side win. Germany has been all class as a football nation since I was a young boy, and I have nothing but respect and admiration for them. I will be crushed if Argentina lose today, but at least it will be with the knowledge that it came to a deserving side.

They only put in as much effort as is needed to defeat whomever they're facing. They don't go out there with the intention of blowing your mind at the cost of tiring themselves out needlessly.

Which makes what they did to Brazil ten trillion times more pathetic for the host nation. They beat them with the proverbial power in their pinky.

Without Di Maria, this match is even more one-sided than it already is. I'd say "quick and painless", but I'm not sure about painless.

He could come off the bench!

I highly doubt it. He pulled up with an aggravated muscle during practice yesterday. I don't see any chance he gets on the field today.

Aguero should be good to come on in the second half for either el Pocho or Higuain. He hasn't had a big impact in a game yet, and I'd be shocked if this was different.

Without Di Maria, this match is even more one-sided than it already is. I'd say "quick and painless", but I'm not sure about painless.

You are quite confident in light of the fact that you have no more insight into what will happen today than anyone else.

Tecl0n

I highly doubt it. He pulled up with an aggravated muscle during practice yesterday. I don't see any chance he gets on the field today.

Aguero should be good to come on in the second half for either el Pocho or Higuain. He hasn't had a big impact in a game yet, and I'd be shocked if this was different.

Aguero is as dead as Di Maria, they put him on the other day cause they were expecting a miracle shot.

France did. Just trying to do a relative comparison. Sorry if I was unclear.

Except those are the most pointless types of comparisons possible. Ghana tied Germany 2-2. The US beat Ghana. The US is better than Germany and should be in this final match.

Aguero is as dead as Di Maria, they put him on the other day cause they were expecting a miracle shot.

He said he felt recovered after the last game. And he converted his penal at least... ;p

Except those are the most pointless types of comparisons possible. Ghana tied Germany 2-2. The US beat Ghana. The US is better than Germany and should be in this final
I agree it's a weak comparison but any way you slice it Germany has looked the best team to this point that's my real point.

LAM09

You're going to want money to be able to keep your best talents, because the best talents will generally also want to be compensated for their talents.

Did they have money in the 90's?

The Ajax side in 91 was Dutch football at it's pinnacle. PSV's run in 2005 wasn't bad either.

potam

Banned
This may be a stupid question: does the game actually begin at 3 EST, or is there some sort of pregame event at 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom