• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2022 World Cup Preparation Is Costing Qatar $500 Million a Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mivey

So slavery is not just barbaric, it's also inefficient. Maybe they should abolish it to save money.

Dali

so dumb, so many countries already have stadiums built and infrastructure built, USA should have gotten it instead

stupid oil money
I would say a better reason for the US would be it's not illegal to be gay, but come 2022 who knows with little donnie and shit dive this country is taking.

I think the issue is that with Qatar being such a small nation joe much of that infrastructure is realistically going to be put to use after the World Cup? Waste is a big issue for these World Cup/Olympic hosting nations.
Many of those roads, rail lines, and hospitals are to areas where once the world cup is over and the millions of fans leave, there isn't going to be enough of a population in those areas to justify such inordinate spending. Not to mention that none of it will benefit the lower classes withing Qatar.

Weckum

They are building hospitals and motorways to cope with the world cup and factoring that in with associated cost.

What happens to it post WC?

Answer: Rot. It rots.

Not per se, there is this big 2030 plan where Qatar wants to be the world leader in certain things (like physical therapy for sports). They want to make this a medical hub in this region.

There is loads of stuff being buit. A huge subway system (should be done way before the WC) for example. Remember, Doha is a city of 1.5 million people with hardly any public transport.

The stadiums are very excessive and probably will be wasted afterwards. The other infrastructure is good tho, and not just for the WC.

All that money so people can kick a bag of wind about.

Seriously, it is bizarre how small and low in population the country is to be building all these stadiums and infrastructure around them. I don't see how they can support it all after the world cup is over. They can afford to take them down again though. Just seems an obscene amount of outlay and manufacturing pollution waste just to have the privilege to host a world cup.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Many of those roads, rail lines, and hospitals are to areas where once the world cup is over and the millions of fans leave, there isn't going to be enough of a population in those areas to justify such inordinate spending. Not to mention that none of it will benefit the lower classes withing Qatar.

Maybe they will be the first to build a super dome. Everything now air conditioned.

Koren

But Mr Emadi denied that the plans would make the 2022 tournament the most expensive World Cup yet.
Well, the 2002 cup cost Korean TWO TRILLIONS (won) and Japan nearly TWO HUNDRED BILLIONS (yen).

So he's right...

Well, kinda ;)

Skyzard

Banned
Take a look at military and defense budgets if you want to see unnecessary spending - infrastructure is at least a decent thing to spend your money on.

LQX

The world should hang their heads in shame over this. $500 million a week on stadiums and we still have people on the same Continent starving to death.

liquidtmd

Banned
There is loads of stuff being buit. A huge subway system (should be done way before the WC) for example. Remember, Doha is a city of 1.5 million people with hardly any public transport.

If Doha is a city of 1.5 million people and hardly has any public transport, I'm cycnical enough to have seen enough post World Cup and Olympic countries to say - if they didn't have it before, they fundamentally won't get used in the correct way you're proposing now

I hope I'm wrong, I really am

azyless

500 million a week and they still have to get slaves from North Korea building their empty stadiums. Can't wait to boycott this shit.

Koren

A NFL quality stadium can be built for $1B a piece. I don't know how much a hospital costs but probably something similar. Add of that up and you still don't get close to $200B.
Well, they want really impressive stadiums, and they have air conditionning and other special installations. Also they "need" to build subways, etc., even islands sometime.

Take a look at military and defense budgets if you want to see unnecessary spending - infrastructure is at least a decent thing to spend your money on.
When you have ~3000 licencees (ten time less than the Fidji, for example) and ~2k-10k spectators coming to matches, I'm not sure it's better.

Pedrito

If Doha is a city of 1.5 million people and hardly has any public transport, I'm cycnical enough to have seen enough post World Cup and Olympic countries to say - if they didn't have it before, they fundamentally won't get used in the correct way you're proposing now

I hope I'm wrong, I really am

It will be used by the foreign workers (asians) so there's that. I doubt the Qataris and western expats will stop using their SUVs.

The stadia will rust, that's for sure. Or aren't they supposed to ship them to Africa?

Aselith

A lot of these are projects that benefit the city going forward though, yeah? I mean stuff like railways and hospitals aren't just useful for the World Cup even if it is driving the projects.

Since the US had it in 1994, it's usually a longer time before you host again. Probably could argue sooner than later though if spreading the game is the goal.

9Bmc.png

br3wnor

Qatar is a really fascinating country.

Only has 300,000ish citizens and the vast majority of people that live their are foreign workers (who are abused to shit). It's run by a royal family system that has had issues due to how relatively small it is and the necessity of royals marrying/procreating with other royals. They have air conditioning EVERYWHERE and also have a top 3 highest per capita GDP in the world. They're super tiny (4,400 square miles, roughly size of Rhode Island) but hit the absolute jackpot on being on top of oil reserves (#3 in the world).

They recently made a bid to win the 2015 world cup of handball (hosted it as well) and were able to pay foreign ex-pros to become citizens for the sole purpose of the tournament, they came in second, losing to France. They focus A LOT on sports and part of their bid for the world cup is to establish themselves as a middle eastern mecca for sports.

I read a great long form article about the country a few years ago, tried googling for it but wasn't successful, really interesting place.

Syder

Fuck the Russian World Cup. Fuck the Qatari World Cup especially.

Fuck FIFA, they're the reason I don't have a World Cup to look forward to until 2026.

PepIsHavingAHardGo.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom