• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony demands appropriate investigation over Qatar winning World Cup 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27751265

Fifa is under growing pressure over its controversial decision to award the 2022 World Cup to Qatar.
One of its main sponsors, Sony, has called on the governing body to carry out an "appropriate investigation" into claims of wrongdoing during the bidding process.

Last week the newspaper alleged that Qatar's former Fifa Vice President Mohamed bin Hammam paid £3m to football officials around the world to help win support for Qatar in the run up to the World Cup vote in December 2010.
Now Bin Hammam is facing claims that he used his top level contacts in the Qatari royal family and government to arrange deals and favours to secure the tournament for his country.

Award to Qatar if old.

Fifa should demand a proper investigation about the last guardian.

This is good though, very good, something that will actually maybe make them reconsider.

Qatar will just pay sony to stop asking questions, money hat time

Doesn't only apply to games

But good for Sony to call them out, expose it

Anth1888

Just saw this on BBC News. Hopefully it will give FIFA the kick up the arse it needs to launch an external investigation if their sponsors start to pull out. McDonalds, Coca-Cola to follow suit please.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Forgive my ignorance, but how prevalent is corruption in football?

I'm Canadian/US person so the things I follow are hockey and handegg.

Acorn

Forgive my ignorance, but how prevalent is corruption in football?

I'm Canadian/US person so the things I follow are hockey and handegg.
In FIFA its the name of the game. UEFA isn't as bad and most national FAs are ok (with some notable exceptions).

Empty

it's slightly depressing that the main thing that can really derail unaccountable horrible institutions like fifa are huge multinational corporations looking after their brand

oh well. enemy of your enemy etc

Acorn

it's slightly depressing that the main thing that can really derail unaccountable horrible institutions like fifa are huge multinational corporations looking after their brand

oh well. enemy of your enemy etc
If National FA's teamed up change would happen quickly.

Anth1888

If National FA's teamed up change would happen quickly.

The FA has been pretty outspoken in regards to the 2022 World Cup. Greg Dyke (the chairman) has just called for Qatar to be stripped from hosting and for a revote to take place. The others, not so much.

jelly

I don't think there is an out because doing so puts them all in the shit. Everybody goes down. I think they will drag their feet investigating it then go ahead as so much work and planning has been done in their opinion.

What needs to happen is a collective fuck you from leagues around the world and sponsors. Just outright refuse on mass to support it. If it destroys FIFA in the process, great. UEFA are scum as well, just don't have as much power.

Acorn

The FA has been pretty outspoken in regards to the 2022 World Cup. Greg Dyke (the chairman) has just called for Qatar to be stripped from hosting and for a revote to take place. The others, not so much.
Indeed and I hope the rest of the European fa's follow.

Also I assume 1888 is for the tic. Mon the hoops :)

smurfx

get some go again
looks like sony is looking for an out of the sponsorship. don't think many companies will want to associate themselves with the qatar world cup.

jelly

Why did no one run against him? You implied that there's some shenanigans regarding the election.

He basically had a certain number of supporters that their wouldn't be enough votes against him so there was no point running. How he achieved this, greasing a lot of palms and making sure the gravy train reaches the right people, probably everyone. Just up the perks. I wouldn't put it passed him having dirt on people.

Why did no one run against him? You implied that there's some shenanigans regarding the election.

The other candidate for the election was suspended & withdrew days before and they rejected calls for postponement. The fact that they only found 1 person to run against the incumbent out of an organistation full of competitive, high achieving men is suspicious. Outside of the election, there is lots of books and media highlighting FIFA's corruption.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
What the point? Haven't they started building the stadiums?

Over a thousand people have already died.
Those working on the stadiums are, near-as-makes no difference, slaves.
The corruption was too much, even for FIFA, and that's saying something.
The other countries bidding were the US, Australia, South Korea and Japan. Qatar was the worst candidate by far. They had nothing going for them, except shitloads of money.
It's far too hot, suggestions to move it to winter would fuck over a lot of leagues.
Floating air-conditioners

qatar, the country ranked 144/167 on the democracy index...

no desert nation stuck in the middle ages should ever be considered, let alone allowed to host the world cup

i hope fans and sponsors alike boycott the qatar tournament

At this point I'm not sure what's worse. Holding the cup in Qatar after all the corrupt dealings and workers who died, or not holding the cup there and making all of that happen for nothing.

Acorn

looks like sony is looking for an out of the sponsorship. don't think many companies will want to associate themselves with the qatar world cup.
That too. Who wants their brand associated with forced labour with no health and safety concerns for their "employees".

KingJolly

Banned
dresscode.png

Sony is against the Qatar dress code for foreigners

jelly

qatar, the country ranked 144/167 on the democracy index...

no desert nation stuck in the middle ages should ever be considered, let alone allowed to host the world cup

i hope fans and sponsors alike boycott the qatar tournament

$200 billion spent on a monthlong sporting event in downright sinful in my book

I don't think Russia should have got it either. They are next and that was bought no doubt and their rights abuses among other problems.

China never should have got the Olympics with their human rights abuses.

Fifa and IOC like to use the excuse of spreading the spirit and values of the sport and games but it's complete bs, only for profit.

The countries should be worthy and capable in the right way before getting any such tournament.

Letting it happen is ten times worse.

Yeah you're probably right, there's just something horribly depressing about 1,000 people dying for a bunch of half-built stadiums that would never get used. Awful situation no matter how you look at it, and good on Sony for doing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom