• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

25 minutes of Final Fantasy XVI Revealed at the State of Play

Draugoth

Gold Member

Some relevant details:

• Moogles are back and are used as NPC helpers.
  • All battles are in real time and there's no pause option.
  • Story takes place course's Clive life.
  • The game can build the character for you based on personal preference.
  • It's the first true action RPG in the series
  • Battles will have QTEs
  • Main hub is called Hide's Hideway where you can upgrade and train.
  • There's four companions: Joshua, a Knight Chick, a Knight Guy and a Wolf.
  • Secundary Quests from FF7R are back
  • You have to defeat the Icons (Summons) in single battle in order to use them
  • Summon/Eikon battle and cutscenes will be different depending on which one you use for support
  • Boss battles are seamless and focus on spectacle
  • Endgame content confirmed
  • World Map:
cmmKjbj.jpg

5notjEb.jpg

Customization:

HnPmAyo.jpg

T9QB2kS.jpg

kzNIIJw.jpg

Game will have two main Modes:

7ewX3Kg.jpg

U4xMA1E.jpg

PtCki47.jpg

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I like everything I see except the combat. First true action rpg, what are they even talking about? It seems like they've been doing this crap for ages now. I'm not sure about the thrilling roller coaster ride talk either. Bayonetta 3 did the whole summons thing way better than this simplistic take here.

Bring Sakaguchi in again and adopt something like The Last Story, it was a way more forward thinking JRPG combat system and it's been over a decade. It was just a bit stiff and limited by the budget and the Wii's system specs. A modern improvement on that with Square money would be sweet.

Last edited:

Larxia

It’s just so damn inconsistent. It ranges from “holy shit that’s next Gen!” To “was that PS3 footage?”
A lot of places did give me a ps3 vibe, like a ps3 era game but running at max settings on PC, but I didn't dare to say it here :messenger_grinning_smiling:
I would say it feels like a remaster of an old game, like it's very barebone environments and assets for the most part, but with shiny particles and effects?

A lot of places did give me a ps3 vibe, like a ps3 era game but running at max settings on PC, but I didn't dare to say it here :messenger_grinning_smiling:
I would say it feels like a remaster of an old game, like it's very barebone environments and assets for the most part, but with shiny particles and effects?
Completely agree. However the Kaiju fights they showed at the end did give me a distinct “the ps4 couldn’t run this” impression. Which is the exact feeling I want from next Gen only games.

Skelterz

I love how they specifically mentioned it’s not turn based as if we couldn't tell, and then there’s one scene where Clive’s fighting and it culminates in a QTE with an enemy trying to drive a blade into his head your companion just stands there watching that play out apparently… 😂.

Just looks so bland, Just want this out of the way so we can get more ff7 remake.
FFVII remake can only wish to look this interesting.

I was about to comment on this as i was watching but i was glued to the tv the dntire time. Holy shit!

And for people talking about the graphics being bland. Do we need to go through this every time we watch a 1080p live stream from a 4k game?

Anyway the only thing I didn’t like was the facial expressions. Everything else…holy shit

Larxia

People who consider this game “ugly” list their mind but then again we had same stupid conversation when Elden Ring coming out.

Graphic whores can’t help themselves.
I don't understand what's the issue. Elden Ring doesn't look incredible either, it's not particularly an impressive game visually.

But... we never said that's actually a problem, that's the thing. If the game is good, then okay, we'll deal with the graphics being like this and it will be fine, I'm just really surprised by people saying that the graphics are amazing, I even saw people saying they didn't believe it was running on a ps5... it's just ridiculous.

I'm not saying the game will be bad because of its graphics, I'm just trying to add some nuance here with all the people saying it's the most beautiful game ever.

I love games from Platinum Games and they never had particularly great looking game, it didn't stop me from loving them, I'm just being honest on the technical part alone on its own.

GHG

This is not a good sign for me, I turned the demo off after 10 minutes.

So did I, but apparently the combat in that game is actually very good and the demo didn't do it justice.

I still need to play it, which I will do soon now that it's finally released on steam. Will want to get it finished up before this releases.

Teslerum

Stranger of paradise seems to have influenced it, and that might be a good thing.
Uhm

I mean the one thing that influences it the most that they poached a Dragon's Dogma/Devil May Cry guy from Capcom to lead the combat.

That might probably more why than Team Ninja/SOP.

Last edited:

lyan

FFVII remake can only wish to look this interesting.

I was about to comment on this as i was watching but i was glued to the tv the dntire time. Holy shit!

And for people talking about the graphics being bland. Do we need to go through this every time we watch a 1080p live stream from a 4k game?

Anyway the only thing I didn’t like was the facial expressions. Everything else…holy shit
Already better than when people talk about things being stuttery when it's a 24fps video is played on a 30fps stream.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'm torn on this.

Think ffvii remake part 2 is for me this year. Strange it can look great but a lot ofnthe time it looks really flatly lit and the combat looks ...I dunno.

Hopefully it's great but this looks much worse than hogwarts legacy to me, it looks kinda bland?

Can't put my finger on it.

Is it unreal engine 4?

Last edited:
Top Bottom