• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

25 minutes of Final Fantasy XVI Revealed at the State of Play

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Damn, this is looking amazing. I was already sold, now I'm double-sold.
sold-ray.gif
sold-ray.gif

I reckon this is going to be a lot of fun to play, like DMC but with loads of depth. And some of the Eikon battles look awesome, especially the shoot-em-up ones.

I did notice that the lip sync looked a bit off, but other than that, I’m going to be very happy getting lost in this game.

I love the idea of the monster hunts, the arcade battles with online leaderboards and Panzer fucking Dragoon.
I think mixing something close to DMC combat with openish world exploration will be a potent combination.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
For those not familiar with Kenshi Yonezu, here are my personal two favorite tracks of his.

He also did that weird-ass PlayStation ad music video a couple of years back. I do enjoy his music, but it's always so hit-and-miss for me (not a fan of his newest song, for example) - just makes me wonder what the theme song is going to be like. Hope it's a good one.

EDIT: just saw the clip they released on Twitter (in the OP)... eh

Last edited:

Pasta la Vista

Gold Member
Yeah that was really in depth, seems like big spoilers imo, but they are likely still holding a lot back. I would say avoid watching this if you're already getting it.

I will play it, but I have to say

Auto-Doge, auto select abilities, 1 push button, I know this is about accessibility, but at the same time feels like too much, next time they will add an auto-play itself, so you just enjoy watching the game

It feels like:

im an idiot GIF

Markio128

Gold Member
Yeah that was really in depth, seems like big spoilers imo, but they are likely still holding a lot back. I would say avoid watching this if you're already getting it.
Yeah, he made a point of saying they were holding a ton of stuff back, but I really need to go dark on this now until I get the game because I don’t want to spoil it too much for myself.

Markio128

Gold Member

Auto-Doge, auto select abilities, 1 push button, I know this is about accessibility, but at the same time feels like too much, next time they will add an auto-play itself, so you just enjoy watching the game

It feels like:

im an idiot GIF
I’d understand your comment if the accessibility options were forced on gamers, but they really aren’t, so I wouldn’t worry about it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I’d understand your comment if the accessibility options were forced on gamers, but they really aren’t, so I wouldn’t worry about it.
Personally, I think it's kinda neat that they're given in-game lore (rings you can equip) rather than just toggle switches in a menu. I do wonder though if these will use up "equipment slots" that could otherwise be used for better gear, if you were better at playing the game.

KàIRóS

People saying the combat looks boring just downright have shit taste in gaming period.

They said it would be Devil May Cry + Final Fantasy and it looks just like that, seamless non-stop combos with a rating system to value the player's creativity in combat mixed with RPG elements like party members, elemental weaknesses and skill trees, it looks fun.

Last edited:

Markio128

Gold Member
Personally, I think it's kinda neat that they're given in-game lore (rings you can equip) rather than just toggle switches in a menu. I do wonder though if these will use up "equipment slots" that could otherwise be used for better gear, if you were better at playing the game.
I get the impression that they are separate to your normal gear and that you can either use them or not. You could be right though.

Aenima

Was already day 1, this show just cemented that. I guess im good with FFXVI footage untill release. LOved everething shown. Combate looks crazy good.

Roxkis_ii

This game looks incredible! The environments and lighting look crazy good. I love the use sprites in the game. Such a nice callback and touch. This is looking like this could be a benchmark Final Fantasy.

The quality of this game is just off the charts. Give me a demo and might even pre-order it.

Schmendrick

Looks like good old Japanese sillyness with a fresh(er) coat of paint. I see nothing in particular that I'd describe as impressive and I'm a bit turned off by that "super sayayin level 15 animation to shave off a measly 10% HP off of bullet sponge enemies"-mechanic but other than that it looks fun.

Last edited:
I know, it is just that I feel games are getting easier and easier, it's as if the developers think people are just bad at them. I know there are games that are not easy, but I like FF a lot. I want things to be a challenge (not impossible).

I know, it is just that I feel games are getting easier and easier, it's as if the developers think people are just bad at them. I know there are games that are not easy, but I like FF a lot. I want things to be a challenge (not impossible).
It makes perfect sense to go out of your way to develop extensive accessibility options for an action FF, considering the series traditionally was played through a text menu. They want non-action game players to at least have an option.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Combat looks like dmc, very flashy.

Graphic looks very underwhelming for the most part.

I have this one already in preorder but i kinda wanna switch with zelda tiktok, this one seems way to similar to dmc combat wise (not a flaw, i just don't play pure action games anymore).

And i don't care about boss battles ala god of war all spectacle and very little substance and it seems to be a pretty big focus in this game.

I'm very undecited.

Last edited:
Is it me or enemies seem to take a little too much to die?

I mean, it's okay on powerful enemies but by the looks of it even the common grunt can take a beating.
Very spongy. But then again, they showed a bunch of accessibility options which makes me think a lot of things can be tweaked to fit a player's playstyle.

kingyala

Banned
japanese devs are never good at graphics, and i never expect this from them because they are more story focused and thats alright

KXVXII9X

It’s just so damn inconsistent. It ranges from “holy shit that’s next Gen!” To “was that PS3 footage?”
This is one of my most anticipated games this year and I agree, unfortunately. There is such an inconsistency to the graphical fidelity. Kind of takes me out a bit. It has some really high highs and some minor lows. I do like how it seems much more focused than FFXV and other titles releasing lately. The music I have no complaints over. Excellent!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

It feels like:

im an idiot GIF

They did say they're looking into an FF12 style gambit system for the next FF7 game.

hussar16

Not impressed .although I have to give them the benefit of finally making a game without ugly hud and hiding it .at least for the video. I really don't understand why they stil show numbers and icons on screen like it's some mmo. There's a health bar thts all we need to know.to much crap on screen

Pasta la Vista

Gold Member

It feels like:

im an idiot GIF
It sort of seemed like they were implying that using accessories is basically a way to curb the challenge in a big way. There will be a harder difficulty that opens up after one playthrough and there is an online (Arcade) ranked combat arena that will likely force certain conditions.
Yoshi P is no stranger to creating challenging content in games (FFXIV). I have no doubt there is something for every skill level here.

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

I'm torn on this.

Think ffvii remake part 2 is for me this year. Strange it can look great but a lot ofnthe time it looks really flatly lit and the combat looks ...I dunno.

Hopefully it's great but this looks much worse than hogwarts legacy to me, it looks kinda bland?

Can't put my finger on it.

Is it unreal engine 4?
You're so boring and predictable lol.

CGNoire

I don't get this complaint. Every game doesn't need souls combat to be enjoyable. Nothing wrong with having arcade-style fighting without white knuckle intensity. I dunno, maybe I'm missing something...
What i meant was its so over the top it seems every button press triggers a mini series of animations instead of 1 press 1 move. That doesnt feel very interactive too me.

Top Bottom