• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

25 minutes of Final Fantasy XVI Revealed at the State of Play

supernova8

Banned
I think you have some rose tinted glasses on. FF7 had small zones, average to terrible textures, and uses bitmap skyboxes. There is nothing going on as complex as let’s say, the forrest section shown in this presentationI say this coming from having recently played the game again on PS5.

Main character models like Clive for example look great. FF7’s models are top level though. However they do drop on quality from in game from cutscene. Is this the case here?

Im not confident this argument will hold up if you start doing side by sides.
Surely if I have to do side by sides to appreciate the difference then that, by itself, is kinda proof that it isn't a massive leap. In contrast, if you compare FF 13 (or 13-2) (the last FF game on PS3) to FF 15, the difference is immediately obvious, that's even ignoring the "advantage" FF 13 has due it to not being open world.

I suppose we could say that FFXV was Squeenix's first outing on next-gen (at the time) and then they followed up with the gorgeous FF7 Remake, so there's a good chance they will come out with an breathtaking-looking looking Final Fantasy toward the end of this generation (ie this is merely their first outing on PS5 and it only gets better from here).

Still..... their first outing on PS3 was FF 13 and then if you compared to what they had PS2, it's night and day! But of course moores law etc etc, maybe I'm just expecting too much.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
if you compared to what they had PS2, it's night and day! But of course moores law etc etc, maybe I'm just expecting too much.
I mean the jump between PS2 to PS3 is bigger compare to PS4 to PS5 and that’s mostly true with most games this gen.

Kumomeme

I find Soken's music to be particularly painful to the ears. No idea how he manages to have a fanbase with his shamelessly generic and monotone music.
jFbXdhX.png

I find Soken's music to be particularly painful to the ears. No idea how he manages to have a fanbase with his shamelessly generic and monotone music.
While I will say that I’ve loved most of what I’ve heard of XVI’s soundtrack (I love FF dramatic Latin choir stuff), what I’ve heard of XIV’s soundtrack sounds cheap and bad, and I’ve listened to most tracks for everything up to Endwalker. I don’t care about variety if it’s almost all low quality synth or buttrock or what have you. I guess that has to do with the amount of music Soken has to produce + the limited budget. PS you’re brave for saying something that will surely get you attacked by the hypnotized FFXIV cultists

Last edited:

Kumomeme

While I will say that I’ve loved most of what I’ve heard of XVI’s soundtrack (I love FF dramatic Latin choir stuff), what I’ve heard of XIV’s soundtrack sounds cheap and bad, and I’ve listened to most tracks for everything up to Endwalker. I don’t care about variety if it’s almost all low quality synth or buttrock or what have you. I guess that has to do with the amount of music Soken has to produce + the limited budget. PS you’re brave for saying something that will surely get you attacked by the hypnotized FFXIV cultists
ffxiv GIF

joke aside, i take you didnt play FF14 right? this is sound obvious but hearing the music with intended context hit differently than not. Soken and his team work focused on intended set up, like cinematic, fight, scene, tone, location etc. to the point i dont think some of FF14 music can be slapped to other scene or game just like that. there lot of detail in music that related to the story content. for example clock ticking sound effect in Shb. those who play the game know why and get the 'tension' behind it. but those are not, they would not get it. Aglaia's final boss coin pouch sound effect that relate to the boss and world lore. Close to Distance lyric also hit harder, if you invested in the story and know the context of the song. Endwalker final boss fight leitmotif actually a medley of all previous boss fight since ARR. those who not play would not get this. Return to Oblivion also play with leitmotif of original Oblivion with the lyric related to the fight where shiva constantly change her element from ice to holy. some of lyric also has hidden lore, for example Sophia fight theme where the tone also fit the fight mechanic.

simply to say hearing it without experience those things would has vastly different effect, compared to actually play the the game.

also depend on your preferences. if you keep set up expectation toward yourself to certain taste, you will end up only chase that things and disregard other stuff. for example you prefer dramatic latin choir stuff. Soken actually rarely doing latin soundtrack as i aware. most of his soundtrack is with english, either with Koji Fox or Kazutoyo Maehiro/Natsuko Ishikawa's writing.

for me, honestly i really love FFXV music. all those bombastic dramatic stuff but once i hear and get used toward FF14 music, sorry, despite it less 'dramatic bombastic-ish', personally it is on whole different level and i find FF14 music tailored way better toward the game. the soundtrack is created more specifically with intended scene in mind. ofcourse, this depend on personal preferences.

just play the game. you wont find the answer if you didnt taste it properly. but if you still didnt like it, then it just your personal preferences.

Last edited:
Agreed.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
From the snippets of FFXVI's music in the State of Play, I think it'll be more memorable than FFXV's soundtrack.
Easily. Like the game also the soundtrack looked like stitched together from different games and dropped it all at once without coherence and cohesion. If 16 follows what Soken did previously expect a story within a story but with music. He is basically a storyteller himself

Madflavor

I don’t think enemies will be as tanky as presented in all this footage. They don’t want to show endgame spoilery content, but they also want to show off the more nasty looking combos and abilities, so they probably buffed the HP/Def of the low/mid game enemies so Clive doesn’t melt them in the preview footage.

ergem

I don’t think enemies will be as tanky as presented in all this footage. They don’t want to show endgame spoilery content, but they also want to show off the more nasty looking combos and abilities, so they probably buffed the HP/Def of the low/mid game enemies so Clive doesn’t melt them in the preview footage.
I think the enemies will be tanky consistent with all final fantasy games. I mean to think of it. Even the ff7 remake enemies are tanky especially the bosses.

I’m not complaining. It’s ff style rpg. We can’t just breeze through enemies. We will have to strategize and use Clive’s abilities to get that stagger bar fill up quickly while dodging incoming attacks.

Madflavor

I think the enemies will be tanky consistent with all final fantasy games. I mean to think of it. Even the ff7 remake enemies are tanky especially the bosses.

I’m not complaining. It’s ff style rpg. We can’t just breeze through enemies. We will have to strategize and use Clive’s abilities to get that stagger bar fill up quickly while dodging incoming attacks.

I mean they won't be tanky to the extent we've seen them in the State of Play. Like Clive doing a 30+ Hit Combo on a footsoldier and it shaves 5% of his health off.

Kumomeme

Easily. Like the game also the soundtrack looked like stitched together from different games and dropped it all at once without coherence and cohesion. If 16 follows what Soken did previously expect a story within a story but with music. He is basically a storyteller himself
yep. this is one of biggest differences with FF14 for example. that game music is created solely for that game within certain intended context and it should be gonna be same with FF16.

Go_Ly_Dow

I've never played FFXIV so I look forward to seeing what he brings to the table!

Some relevant details:

• Moogles are back and are used as NPC helpers.
  • All battles are in real time and there's no pause option.
  • Story takes place course's Clive life.
  • The game can build the character for you based on personal preference.
  • It's the first true action RPG in the series
  • Battles will have QTEs
  • Main hub is called Hide's Hideway where you can upgrade and train.
  • There's four companions: Joshua, a Knight Chick, a Knight Guy and a Wolf.
  • Secundary Quests from FF7R are back
  • You have to defeat the Icons (Summons) in single battle in order to use them
  • Summon/Eikon battle and cutscenes will be different depending on which one you use for support
  • Boss battles are seamless and focus on spectacle
  • Endgame content confirmed
  • World Map:
cmmKjbj.jpg

5notjEb.jpg

Customization:

HnPmAyo.jpg

T9QB2kS.jpg

kzNIIJw.jpg

Game will have two main Modes:

7ewX3Kg.jpg

U4xMA1E.jpg

PtCki47.jpg

Sold, I'll take it!!! The combat is very fast albeit a bit jerky looking, nothing a day one patch can't fix!!!

More of the 4K combat videos they released, first video shows ability leveling and how the move changes.

The soundtrack is now available to pre-order on the JP and NA stores. I grabbed the ultimate edition from Japan.

Last edited:

poodaddy

Damage sponges when done properly are vital to good enemy design.
I couldn't disagree with this more. Very, very few enemies in the souls games, even bosses, take many hits at all if you spec a character properly and equip them well, and yet the games are still immensely challenging and satisfying. Spongey enemies are antiquated design in my opinion.

Danjin44

I couldn't disagree with this more. Very, very few enemies in the souls games, even bosses, take many hits at all if you spec a character properly and equip them well, and yet the games are still immensely challenging and satisfying. Spongey enemies are antiquated design in my opinion.
Souls combat is not about pulling off combos, but if you have combo based combat then you want enemies survive enough can pull off combos, if they die too quickly then wont get opportunity to use your move set on them.

Firstly Souls bosses can still take a good amount of hits to kill. Some Souls bosses I would definitely classify as damage sponges.

Secondly souls game have a stamina meter which forces the player from hitting too much this is an action game without that. Enemies need a larger pool of health to have any type of challenge.

Thirdly specing out your character to hit harder is only relevant because of you guessed it damage sponges. If all enemies died quickly with the default weapon there would be know incentive to explore upgrade or find a stronger weapon which is a huge part of Souls.

I could go on but having some some not all enemies be damage sponges is important to incentivise different tactics or responses from the player.

Souls combat is not about pulling off combos, but if you have combo based combat then you want enemies survive enough can pull off combos, if they die too quickly then wont get opportunity to use your move set on them.
Exactly! Also all your powerful Eikon attacks are on cooldown so will be much more powerful. Why would you need to use them if all the enemies died super quick from your basic attacks?

EruditeHobo

kl7OOtA.jpg

this is amazing.

this makes me think the story is going to be FF (Fucking Finally) what this franchise needs

This is exactly what many RPGs need... I love this.

I wasn't excited until I started watching this video (missed it until now) -- I too was let down not just by 15 but also by 13. But this does look good.

Not day 1 just because of my backlog, but will be getting into this soon this summer.

Go_Ly_Dow

Quick comparison from screengrabs of YouTube.

The top is from the October 2020 reveal trailer, which was running on PC.

The bottom is from the April 2023 State of Play, which is running on PS5.

HaINhhd.png
I2S2vWc.png
jHD5Wgr.png
QRdCKEN.png

1T9HeFm.png
EJhdpHh.png

Environments seem to have more detailed textures and geomtery looks more complex. Like less flat surfaces and walls. The lighting has changed and looks much better to me, stylistically and technically. There's also the addition of some form of motion blur that wasn't present in the old footage. Character models have been tweaked and look a bit more realistic and maybe have more polygons? Not Nomura levels of character model adjustment, but still a visible change!

Hoping for the final game we get something like 1440p 60fps and 1800-2160p 30fps! FFVIIR Intergrade is up there with Horizon when it comes to delivering solid 30/60fps modes whilst also offering fantastic image quality, so would be great if this follows suit.

Last edited:

Musilla

Quick comparison from screengrabs of YouTube.

The top is from the October 2020 reveal trailer, which was running on PC.

The bottom is from the April 2023 State of Play, which is running on PS5.

HaINhhd.png
I2S2vWc.png
jHD5Wgr.png
QRdCKEN.png

1T9HeFm.png
EJhdpHh.png

Environments seem to have more detailed textures and geomtery looks more complex. Like less flat surfaces and walls. The lighting has changed and looks much better to me, stylistically and technically. There's also the addition of some form of motion blur that wasn't present in the old footage. Character models have been tweaked and look a bit more realistic and maybe have more polygons? Not Nomura levels of character model adjustment, but still a visible change!

Hoping for the final game we get something like 1440p 60fps and 1800-2160p 30fps! FFVIIR Intergrade is up there with Horizon when it comes to delivering solid 30/60fps modes whilst also offering fantastic image quality, so would be great if this follows suit.
The colors of the video in the State of Play are wrong, washed out and without any contrast, I remember that in a preview it was commented by several journalists that the video did not do justice to the real appearance of the game.

A comparison between previous trailers and the video published in the SOP
MCSvzv5.jpg

KtzMMND.jpg

20230416_142944pzf42.jpg

20230416_142849zripc.jpg

20230416_14291910fo8.jpg
20230416_142638bniio.jpg

Go_Ly_Dow

The colors of the video in the State of Play are wrong, washed out and without any contrast, I remember that in a preview it was commented by several journalists that the video did not do justice to the real appearance of the game.

A comparison between previous trailers and the video published in the SOP
MCSvzv5.jpg

KtzMMND.jpg

20230416_142944pzf42.jpg

20230416_142849zripc.jpg

20230416_14291910fo8.jpg
20230416_142638bniio.jpg
Oh wow, yeah I never knew about this. I wonder why that happened with the SoP recording.....

Go_Ly_Dow

UK GAF PSA: for those of you that'll be getting the physical version, these sites have it for well under £70.00 RRP at the moment with free delivery.

£51.85 (formerly known as base.co.uk)

£54.95

£59.99

£60.85

Beats paying £70.00 for a digital version by a mile.

Last edited:

Danjin44

UK GAF PSA: for those of you that'll be getting the physical version, these sites have it for well under RRP at the moment with free delivery.

£51.85 (formerly known as base.co.uk)

£54.95

£59.99

£60.85

Beats paying £70.00 for a digital version by a mile.
I'm getting my physical copy from local EBgames.

Top Bottom