• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror: The Ravenous |OT| The October Movie Marathon

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
20. Jeepers Creepers 2

MbxhOi9.jpg

It's a little dragged out and there's probably a few too many characters but I enjoy the enclosed setting and that creature design is one of my favorites now. They do a great job of conveying the power of this thing and the revenge story is really well built up. Probably gonna complete the trilogy tomorrow.

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
SpreePoster.jpeg

wait until it's streaming somewhere free and watch it if you plan on watching it at all

can't say I would recommend it, but might provide some mild entertainment if you're into satirical horror

Tenaciousmo

Slow Night, Got 2 more movies

43. ⭐
cemetery-man.jpg

Cemetery Man (1994) - AKA - Dellamorte Dellamore
Lovely humorous movie about tending a graveyard and the monotony of taking care of people raising from their grave.

What begun as like a cheesy horror movie kind of shows way too much visual proficiency as it goes. It kind of brings questions like are zombies dead or having a second life, that I wasn't expecting with a movie title such as "cemetery man". the movie itself never takes itself too seriously luckily and there is a solid humor to the deadpan to cynical or sarcastic lines of the main character. there is a recurring love interest and their story being weirder and weirder that has a really satisfying endings. I expected a really mediocre type of movie, instead got treated to a great movie with amazing visuals, and great pacing to it.

maxresdefault.jpg

Elizabeth Harvest (2018)
Totally didn't pick that movie for Abbey Lee, I swear... BUT ABBEY LEE THO
Newly wed woman is told to not enter a room - as if that was ever going to work

The little sci-fi in there makes it interesting, although I would advise a little refrain from thinking too much about it. I don't think it's that intelligent, but not as stupid as I expected after the first event. I'm trying to dance around the subject because there's a cool thing that I'm not sure is made known by promotional material. But expect couple Fuckery and such. Decent flick, worth the watch if you're a pervert and want to see more of abbey lee... unlike me, of course...

That's it for my evening, I watched a couple Episodes of The haunting of Bly manor that took the spot of a possible third movie, I do not regret that choice, love the main actress, was happy to see her again and it has great tension and atmosphere.

Last edited:

Domisto

#28 Psycho 4: The Beginning (1990)

A pretty good way to round out the series, although it's debatable if this is a follow on from Psycho 3 or works better as an alternate sequel to the original. It's a prequel wrapped in a sequel. Kept me interested and tells things in a non linear way. One for the fans as it's mostly about young Norman. A little better than the third film. Psycho 1 and 2 are the best ones.

7a42e93f5a6f4398943dc921cbcca261303480a9r1-628-673v2_uhq.jpg

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
21. The Blob (1958)

4jnKM9R.jpg

A classic but for a modern viewer I didn't find here. There are LONG stretches full of exposition of things we've already seen. Sometimes it's explanations that we've just heard. Seems like it's struggling to reach feature length. I enjoyed the campy horror near the beginning and at the very end but the middle is just SO boring.

Tenaciousmo

45! ⭐ - Already at last year's number!
tch_promoa-j.jpg

[screenshot of the short, you get the idea]
The Cleansing Hour (2019)
Totally legit exorcist has a problem when his next actor possessed person is a no-show

thank @J-Roderton for bringing it up great exorcism movie, don't have too much to talk about for some reason but I really liked it!

1200.jpg

Shivers (1975)
Things that look like penis that enter peoples mouth makes people want to put their penis into other peoples mouth.

So the whole movie is about zombie rape... I could've gone my whole life without it... the only favorable thing to say is it was made in Montreal #Represent and has nice looking girls in it, but when all of them are there to scream rape 20 seconds into their appearance, I was un-enthused by it, and it takes a lot for me not to be enthusiastic about breasts.

Bkc_sVXrJhbqYIlgM8eFwNGeBoJEoc-_MIbZvGN6CJBduzskCi9pK1eJQ3RXoZ_EXYeOiT-C5yRVf8idhOw_S5DTxj7vIqaRBqArVH6fDqNqdvGlx10NEo4zOVWzpWDvEXfL1g

House of the Witch (2017)
teenage going to a totally not haunted house on Halloween

was on Netflix and only had 1h30 ish left on my shift, I picked this because it was under that length.
not a completely bad choice, but it is not a good movie. It was serviceable under those conditions, otherwise it has very bad special effect, dialog and acting. I think I still enjoyed watching it tho. would not recommend to anyone tho.

This challenge is harder for someone like me who's already seen so many films, if I commit to new viewings I find most stuff I haven't seen I haven't seen for a reason. Guy above me didn't like Shivers, hey, I'd be very happy to see something at Shivers' level during this challenge (just picked up the new blu-ray for it, too!)

Tenaciousmo

This challenge is harder for someone like me who's already seen so many films, if I commit to new viewings[...]
you don't have to do new movies, I mostly do that but I was planning on one or 2 rewatches for halloween, I prefer stuff I haven't seen but that's just how I usually go about in life too

13. The Babysitter: Killer Queen

I enjoyed the first last year for what it was, and this one was fun too. Im not sure if I liked how it ended, but overall it ranks maybe just slightly below the original for me, because it was less surprise and definitely less classic horror, felt more actiony.... I thought it was kinda creative though how they kept this story going, without jumping the shark. It knew what it was trying to do and did it well for the most part. Some parts were dumb, like the videogame fight scene...

Seeing how this one turned out, with a proper budget and writers they could pull off another sequel or prequel at this level and id be happy.

Last edited:

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
22. Hubie Halloween

GXkwVqV.jpg

Holy crap that was not only unfunny. It had horrible lessons, unimaginably bad cameos, one of the worst love interest stories ever, and one of the grossest and most brain hurtingly bad comedy scenes ever put to film. By the time Shaq is doing a girl voice talking to Adam Sandler doing a drunk and concussion rattled waterboy voice while grossly eating a pizza to the middle to make out with a woman doing a man voice you know you've hit rock bottom. And the fact that they got the modern family mom to do this love interest role and make out with a fucking television...I just can't fathom how nice Adam Sandler is irl to get these people to keep doing his movies. There are not only multiple scenes of people not laughing after what was supposed to be a joke but also a scene where Sandler tells himself that he's not funny. I'm forced to conclude he knew it was as bad as it was and just didn't give a shit. Abandon all hope ye who hit play.

Tenaciousmo

22. Hubie Halloween

GXkwVqV.jpg

Holy crap that was not only unfunny. It had horrible lessons, unimaginably bad cameos, one of the worst love interest stories ever, and one of the grossest and most brain hurtingly bad comedy scenes ever put to film. By the time Shaq is doing a girl voice talking to Adam Sandler doing a drunk and concussion rattled waterboy voice while grossly eating a pizza to the middle to make out with a woman doing a man voice you know you've hit rock bottom. And the fact that they got the modern family mom to do this love interest role and make out with a fucking television...I just can't fathom how nice Adam Sandler is irl to get these people to keep doing his movies. There are not only multiple scenes of people not laughing after what was supposed to be a joke but also a scene where Sandler tells himself that he's not funny. I'm forced to conclude he knew it was as bad as it was and just didn't give a shit. Abandon all hope ye who hit play.
that movie induced something in me that i could only classify as Stockholm delirium, which not that many movie do. I did end up laughing tho

Domisto

#29 Vampire Hunter D (1985)

What fun. The story is very basic, just enough to carry the action. It's really a series of confrontations and what I was in it for is the art and overall style, which are very good. 80s anime has a great feel to it. Liked this.

vhd-castle.png

If you are looking for something fun to watch tonight, The Last Drive In returns to Shudder at 9pm est, 6pm pacific.

Don't have Shudder, no worries, Use code JBBSHUDDER for a free month, no strings.

2 movies tonight, and I'm pretty sure one of them is Halloween III.

If you are looking for something fun to watch tonight, The Last Drive In returns to Shudder at 9pm est, 6pm pacific.

Don't have Shudder, no worries, Use code JBBSHUDDER for a free month, no strings.

2 movies tonight, and I'm pretty sure one of them is Halloween III.

I heard the live stream doesn’t work for everyone. Do you know if it works for Roku?

Domisto

#30 Resident Evil: Afterlife (2010)

I don't normally complain about this but the sound mix was awful - LOUD quiet LOUD. Film was pretty bad too. Mostly lifeless (pun intended). Aside from maybe one amusing fight and a couple of ridiculous moments it was just dull until the stupid finale where people magically turn up out of nowhere a lot. Worst one so far.

2CpX1zI.jpg

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
23. Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte

1ai8nF7.jpg

Well there was some severe whiplash seeing this the night after Hubie Halloween but it was a nice pallette cleanser. Good performances and twists abound in this murder mystery/psychological thriller/family drama. It drag on a bit but ends strong and has a nice heightened drama that nicely straddles the line with absurdity.

Domisto

#31 The House of the Devil (2009)

Proper throwback movie, captured a lot of the circa 1980 horror period. It was alright, quite fun. Does a decent job building the characters and tension and the ending was good. Was just a bit too slow getting to the last act and with few surprises. I do love a bit of Tom Noonan. Really need a creepy film with Tom Noonan and Clint Howard.

qu2YIpJ.png

rao.d.luffy

#14 - Shocker
f3e66cba73f323cdadde0c5235ae3541.jpg

After being sent to the electric chair, a serial killer uses electricity to come back from the dead and carry out his vengeance on the football player who turned him in to the police.

From Wes Craven, very entertaining, there's something in the atmosphere about A Nightmare on Elm Street and I liked it, the villain is great, and the plot is interesting enough to keep with the deaths

#15 - Malabimba
malabimba_t84920.jpg

Bimba, a sixteen year old daughter of a wealthy family, is starting to show disturbing signs of demonic possession.
Wow, I didn't expect that, it's from the same director of Burial Ground, and wow, there's a lot of controversal stuff here, memorable scenes here:messenger_tears_of_joy:

#16 - Non si sevizia un paperino
poster-342.jpg

A reporter and a promiscuous young woman try to solve a series of child killings in a remote southern Italian town rife with superstition and a distrust of outsiders.
Now I see why people talk a lot about this movie, a great storyline and lots of stuff like weird characters, plot twist, some fun, good deaths, all these elements together did this movie well enough to keep you watching

Okay, big dumb post, will have some stuff from earlier...

The beginning of October...

1. Bliss - 4/5
2. The Shed - 2/5
3. Mortuary - 1/5
4. Dead & Buried - 4/5
5. Amsterdamned - 2/5
6. The Beach House - 3/5
7. The Lift - 2/5
8. It Waits - 2/5
9. Dark Night of the Scarecrow - 2/5

10. Motel Hell

2/5

I can't fault any movie too much that ends with
a chainsaw duel
but this is more of a hokey, unfunny comedy than a horror flick

11. Spiral

2/5

This is a movie about discrimination using the horror genre, about a gay couple and their daughter moving out to a small conservative town that might not like them for their sexuality. There's more to it than this, bit of a paranoia flick. It could have been great but like many Shudder originals it feels like there's something crucial missing.

12. Daniel Isn't Real

3/5

Fun movie about a boy who creates an imaginary friend to deal with trauma. Saying any more would be giving away too much, but it doesn't stick the landing as well as it could.

13. AVP: Alien vs. Predator

4/5

This was a re-watch, 4/5 probably seems generous but I have a huge soft spot for these particular creatures. While the kills are kinda uneventful and have that annoying PG-13 flavor to them once the monsters go head to head this becomes such a blast, and it honestly holds up mostly because of how little CGI it relies on.

14. House on Haunted Hill

3/5

Another re-watch, the problem with this film is how in a rush it is to get things over with, needed more proper building of dread and it could have also toyed with us longer when it came to how real the occurrences were. Still, a fun flick from that era of horror in the late '90s/early '00s, they all had this certain flavor I feel.

15. Fright Night Part 2

3/5

I had never watched this sequel before, found it on Youtube, though and while no, it doesn't touch the first it's still a very fun movie. I think it's funny how they wanted to put the genie back in the bottle, essentially they have it so the main character has been convinced by a psychiatrist he never encountered a vampire before, that way they can sort of re-hash the first to an extent. It has some of its own unique and fun ideas but I can see why many dislike it, think of it like the Ghostbusters II to Fright Night's Ghostbusters, if you will. I might up it to 4/5 on re-watch, honestly.

16. Ghostland

3/5

This is also called Incident in a Ghostland, it's from the director of Martyrs and is a Shudder original. While it's not as messed up or as interesting as Martyrs... it is messed up... and it is interesting. For some people this is better than Martyrs (like my brother) because it's a bit more "normal" is maybe the word?

17. Silent Hill

3/5

This was a re-watch. Liked this much better in theaters. Re-watching it's so obvious Sean Bean was added in late and his presence probably eats up time you could have been world building and enhancing the characters who matter. She could have still had a husband, but have him just be someone we never see, we only get her end of the conversation. Some of the CGI doesn't hold up, even considering it's rendering unreal things, but I think Pyramid Head still looks great. This had potential, though, too bad about the sequel.

18. He's Out There

3/5

This is a weird one because I feel like they don't do enough to help you understand the villain and his motives, almost feels like it's all set-up for what they hope will be a franchise or something. But it's entertaining and well made, the problem I could see with this for some people would be that since the victims are a mother and her two YOUNG daughters it could get annoying for some viewers but I thought it worked.

19. 30 Days of Night

4/5

This is a re-watch, first time since theaters. Really cool vampire flick, it has its minor issues but compared to most stuff I've seen this month it was a real breath of fresh air.

20. Patrick

2/5

This is like Carrie if Carrie was bed-ridden and comatose the whole film, yes, way more boring and even when you get to the climax it doesn't get much better. It's at least well-acted, the lovely nurse starring in it is a fun character to follow if you watch it like a slice of life that occasionally has something supernatural occur.

21. Alien

5/5

My favorite horror film, re-watched more times than can be counted, including this month.

22. The Thing

5/5

My second favorite horror film, re-watched more time than can be counted, including this past week.

Horror Movies Viewed Close to October (some may have been this month? Not sure)

Tigers are Not Afraid - 1/5
VFW - 4/5
Sadako vs. Kayako - 3/5
Host - 2/5
Slumber Party Massacre 2 - 2/5
Peninsula - 3/5
Random Acts of Violence - 3/5
Blood Quantum - 3/5
Ruin Me - 2/5
Summer of '84 - 2/5

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
24. The Bride of Frankenstein

e3Oqyrp.jpg

This feels like Frankenstein part 2 as the bride is hardly in it but I mean that in the best way. The psychology of the monster and the monstrosity of how people treat him is explored more. Karloff is masterful at expressing emotions with very few words and getting his expressions through heavy makeup. It's legitimately heartwarming and heartbreaking in some scenes and almost all of it has to be sold by him when it could come off very silly especially with such a dated movie.

14. Creature from the black lagoon

as an oldie this was great i thought. I can easily get so bored by this era of film. Its hilarious to see the tropey damsel, but the creature was a rea monster just stirring shit up. Granted the humans shot first but still. He just wanted to kill (and fuck). I was actually really impressed by the underwater shots. It looked like there was some serious breath holding and depths for the actors to handle.

Domisto

#33 Color Out of Space (2019)

That was great. It draws on some classic horror and still does it it's own way and is very effective. A really good descent into wtf and looks fantastic. Best modern horror I've seen for some time.

KG6Kmse.jpg

Last edited:
Just watched Videodrome

God damn Cronenberg made a good one here. It's disorienting and creepy and those effects? Damn they are good. I need to rewatch Scanners now.

They weren't able to do everything they wanted to for that film due to budget limitations, making it amazing it's still like among the best surreal mindfuck films ever.

Domisto

#34 The Sentinel (1977)

I feel like I shouldn't have enjoyed that as much as I did. The direction and some of the writing feels cheap but the story and mystery carries along really well. It starts like a Rosemary's Baby rip off but soon does it's own thing. It's trashy but entertaining, and with a long list of famous names in the cast. Really odd one.

3drlZHU.png

#35 Return of the Living Dead: Rave to the Grave (2005)

Hack frauds.

2RPeNvN.png

Cutty Flam

Banned
artworks-000562272075-tnrzeu-t500x500.jpg

Wasn't frightening but it was very disturbing. I'm not a fan of the pagan cult + commune sub-genre so I don't really have much to say about it, but it was interesting enough to watch the entire way through. Although it is an alright film, according to my interests I'd probably give it a 4.7/10

I don't count it as horror if there are no elements that strike at least to some degree, primal fear within the viewer. Your heart wont be racing with this one, your mind wont be telling you maybe you should take a break and stop the movie because it's getting spooky and you're starting to get nervous or it's getting tense. This film doesn't elicit that kind of fight or flight response. More of a psychological type horror if anything. Basically what The Wicker Man with Nicolas Cage probably should have been lol. It is very fucked up, the director definitely excelled there. Probably the last film of its type I'll watch, once you've seen this one you've essentially seen them all (pagan cult films)

PnbBGDq.jpg

John Carpenter's Vampires (1998)

Been meaning to give this a watch for a couple decades now, so I thought I'd finally give it a look. Definitely a 90's Carpenter movie. Starts quite well but after a fun opening bloodbath it sort of meanders around and never truly builds up into anything great. Even the ending was very "Oh that's it?". Though James Woods is a lot of fun playing a type of character you won't be seeing in movies anymore and Sheryl Lee gets to do her usual whack job shtick. Watchable movie but don't expect much.

rao.d.luffy

Mega post here, past weekend was good

#17 - The Ambulance
88c6062ab58fe68b538366a29ad9fac8.jpg

With James Earl Jones, references to Marvel, Stan Lee and early 90's, I had so much fun watching this movie, it's one to watch and rewatch, the story is creative

#18 - The Dark Half
94105b7af2e12ef4d11b18e17e1bfd80.jpg

This is a good Stephen King movie, and with a good George Romero work

#19 - Idle Hands
e70283235f30cdc61e898814db2e04d5.jpg

It's a comedy horror, with young Jessica Alba, it's nostalgic, because there's a lot of reference about Evil Dead, Offspring and another 90's to early 20's teenagers.

#20 - Scanners
scanners-sua-mente-pode-destruir_t9524_Lu3YwAv.jpg

No, didn't like this one, I don't know why but no, didn't work to me

#21 - The Day of the Beast

8b06500bc18104f4d2855f1c5cc76cdc.jpg

I have to admit I never heard about this movie until this month, and it's a hidden gem
Spanish movie, with memorable characters and story, very well executed, this is one of the best surprises this year for me

#22 - The Howling
grito-de-horror_t6629_1.jpg

This is one of the best movies about werewolf I've seen, from 1981 this movie is good even now

#23 - Opera
1_CWQpVnB.jpg

Not the best from Dario Argento but still great, I know what to expect and didn't regreat to watch, I liked this one too.

#24 - A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night
a-garota-que-anda-a-noite_t92596_mpdyX9w.jpg

It's strange and dark, with a good soundtrack, cult movie about vampire, I liked it, different

Tenaciousmo

So i just noticed I didn't update the count for the last few watches

last Thursday
#48 ⭐
jeepers-creepers_33ad7fce-04c2-4c03-8b5d-af4eb9aa8bfe_1024x.jpg

Jeepers Creepers (2001)
Brother and sister taking a trip through the countryside which seemed to go nicely until theyre run off the road by a crazy driver.

I really enjoyed that one, It has great tension and a classic feel to it. I enjoyed the fact it was brother/sister and not a crush or dumb teens acting out/ partying like many other. The movie has an easy flow to it and enough of a creepy factor where you're not sure where it is headed until you're deep in it.

Jeepers-Creepers-2-e.jpg

Jeepers Creepers 2 (2003)
just a few days after the event in the first one, bad dude is back at it again because he only has 23 days every 23 years to feed.

This was a rewatch but I wouldn't count it as one since I was maybe 12 when I first saw it. slightly worse than the first, that one has more of a campy feel to it, it has it's length even tho there are more kills and more action than the first one. still an ok watch tho.

Last Friday
#50 & #51

Alone_ii_xlg.jpg
3027e09bd72588736799a796863fb8c0.jpg

Alone (2020), Alive (2020)
theyre actually the same movie. or at least script.
guy locks himself in his appartment at the start of a zombie apocalypse, finds out a cute girl in an appartment across his is still alive.

alive is just better IMO and easily available (netflix), but if you don't want to read subtitles, alone is the better pick.
ain't much to tell, very generic but the survival tactics and kills seemed more imaginative in the korean version. (which is on netflix)

wreteched.jpg

The Wretched (2019)
Ancient Witch takes the place of a teenager's neighbor, and he seems to be the only one noticing the disappearance of certain people.

while I was on Netflix I was scrolling through the horror section and ended up watching this one, not a bad choice, I could've chosen much worse. I liked some of the idea behind the powers and such, there's some good sets here and there, and acting was not noticeably bad to me. I didn't like the teenage drama aspect to it tho. overall enjoyable, try it out.

images

Blumhouse's Truth Or Dare (2018)
Based on the all time classic game, except you die if you don't do the dare or lie. also those faces.

So that one made me want to take a break from horror movies. It's silly, even the movie itself talks about how the faces look like a bad snapchat filter, yet continues to show them and take them seriously. It has some cool kills but that's about it. Also I hate the ending. the girl that is supposed to be willing to kill all her friends to save the whole country of mexico, ends up cursing all internet that watches her stupid youtube video. skip it.
and finally,
today!

D8kza1GXkAEk6Xv.jpg

À L'Interieur (2007)
Pregnant woman that was in a car crash is being stalked by a hot psycho.

I was not expecting that level of gore in that movie. there are some VERY questionable turn of events, namely a lobotomized perp that stabs someone towards the end, after turning the lights back on, I'm not even gonna talk about how said perp got into the house. That said, I still greatly enjoyed the movie, there are some quality kills in there.

MV5BZmFkOWUxNWItNzMyNC00Yjg2LWFlZjYtYjU4ODk1MjIxNzI2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTc5MDI5NjE@._V1_.jpg

Antiviral (2012)
Company sells...Viruses !? and people buy it ?! oh it's belle delphine's virus, gimme 2 then.

in all seriousness tho... I get what they're going for here but I don't think anyone would be dumb enough to do that shit. Quality technology cynical thingy, Cinematography is wonderful, from the very pristine white inside the clinic to the grimy exterior and everyday life. I found it had pacing issue tho, still enjoyed it.

Tenaciousmo

14. House on Haunted Hill

3/5

Another re-watch, the problem with this film is how in a rush it is to get things over with, needed more proper building of dread and it could have also toyed with us longer when it came to how real the occurrences were. Still, a fun flick from that era of horror in the late '90s/early '00s, they all had this certain flavor I feel.
Absolutely loved that one, might re-watch this year.

#14 - Shocker
might have to bump movies around and get to that one sooner.

#34 The Sentinel (1977)

I feel like I shouldn't have enjoyed that as much as I did. The direction and some of the writing feels cheap but the story and mystery carries along really well. It starts like a Rosemary's Baby rip off but soon does it's own thing. It's trashy but entertaining, and with a long list of famous names in the cast. Really odd one.
I'm gonna have to find this one for next year

kunonabi

October 13th: Dracula Has Risen From His Grave
[Blu-ray]

My favorite Hammer Dracula film. Not much new to say since I watch it every year. As far as direction and editing go it isn't quite as tight as it could be but the plot and the characters are what make it work. Dracula really comes off as a much larger force for evil than he typically does and it still has my favorite Dracula death.

October 14th: Hammer's The Phantom of the Opera
[Blu-ray]

Man, why do people not talk about this more? This easily one of the better Hammer films. Sure, it takes a ton of liberties with the story and the horror elements are reigned in a bit but it's all executed so damn well. The score is great, Michael Gough is a grade A bastard, and Fischer just directs the hell out of the whole thing. Just great stuff.

October 15th: Dawn of the Dead - theatrical cut
[DVD]

Haven't watched this in awhile since I only have it on DVD but it is my favorite zombie film. It's awkward in places, especially the dialogue, but the moments that need to matter absolutely do. Most people probably find the pacing to be too slow but for me it's just right.

October 16th: April Fool's Day
[Blu-ray]

Great little slasher flick with Amy Steel still being her incredibly likable self and a fantastic performance from Deborah Foreman. The whole cast in general is quite good to be honest considering most "funny" casts tend to be awful.

October 17: Friday the 13th/Friday the 13th: A New Beginning
[Blu-ray]

Got my new Friday set in and decided to watch the original film and my favorite entry as I usually do this time of year. New transfer looks great on the first Friday with some really bright highlights, maybe too bright, and some pretty good pop with the colors.

Sadly there is no new transfer for V or recovered deleted scenes but it's still gloriously sleazy trash.

October 18th: A Nightmare on Elm Street/A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors
[Blu-ray]

The more I watch the original Nightmare the more I appreciate Langenkamp's performance. She goes above and beyond to really sell the premise and I don't think the movie works with anybody else. The score is also more and more impressive each time I hear it.

Nightmare 3 could probably be paced a bit better but damn if it isn't a joy to look at at times and I still love the lore and that Freddy Skeleton.

October 19th: Freddy vs Jason
[Blu-ray]

I haven't watched this in years so I decided to give another go since I got it with the new Friday set. I still enjoy it even with its problems. Despite the great premise the actual script is pretty poor much of the time. Way too much repeated exposition, a few too many "bitches" from Freddy, and the characters' connections to Freddy and Jason are sorta weak. Freddy fares a little better since Mark at least knows what he can do but he's still a new character instead of somebody from before. Still, Jason doesn't even get that. Some cop just does a quick google search to tell his story. Couple that with the generic visual style and you get a movie that was obviously aimed at being as accessible as possible instead of being aimed at the actual fanbase. However, what really stood out to me as an issue with this viewing is the visuals. Sure, the movie does have some decent practical effects here and there but it's still missing that insane level of craftsmanship and creativity that went into the old Nightmare films nor does it have that DIY gritty nature of the Friday films. Freddy's dream stuff is fairly basic and mostly banks on CG that didn't really hold up all that well when it came out. It's still one of the better vs films out there and Kelly Rowland is always a pleasure to look at though her and Isabelle not showing the goods is still BS.

October 20th: Sleepy Hollow
[Blu-ray]

My favorite Tim Burton film and another Halloween regular for me. While I get that people wanted a simpler spooky tale I'm perfectly fine with what we got since everything else is fantastic. The cast, the art direction, the cinematography, the score, the costuming, etc is all top notch and probably the last time we got Tim Burton really firing on cylinders in his classic mold. I don't think Miranda Richardson quite worked, although I do get what she was going for, and some of the CG clashed, but the whole thing is just a wild ride that I can't help but love it.

October 21st: Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark
[4K Blu-ray]

This is an interesting film for me. It doesn't quite capture the books and I only moderately liked it on my first viewing but for some reason I can't help rewatching it fairly often. It's a great horror film for the younger set that does get better on rewatches since you pick up on a lot of things that are easy to miss the first time. I still don't think that it comes together like they intended thematically and it's become more obvious that there was probably some stuff that got cut that probably shouldn't have but it's still solid.

October 22nd: Army of Darkness - Director's cut
[DVD]

My favorite Evil Dead film and while calling it a horror film is quite the stretch it has skeletons playing bagpipes so that's good enough for me.

October 23: Carrie
[Blu-ray]

Another regular watch of mine but what stood out to me this time is just how well DePalma can flip from one tone to another so effectively. Up until the end there really isn't anything too crazy going on but the movie still manages to be completely terrifying at so many different points. I still hate that godawful fast-forward bit during the tuxedo shop scene though.

October 24: Suspiria
[4K Blu-ray]

My sister introduced me to this as a kid and it's been a favorite of mine ever since. The 4K presentation is absolutely worth the price too if you still haven't picked it up.

October 25: The Vampire's Doll/Lake of Dracula/Evil of Dracula
[Amazon Prime]

Watched these out of order since I didn't realize it was a series. They aren't really connected though so it didn't matter much.

Evil of Dracula is the first one I watched and the last of the series. It's got another cool premise with a vampire running an all girl's school, a cool backstory for said vampire, and the big plot twist and reveals are pretty cool and well done. Sadly, the rest of the movie is kind of a slog. The vampire lead is pretty eh, and the atmosphere is fairly underwhelming once you get passed the opener that apes the beginning of Dracula. The score is also all over the place. It's not bad but it feels like the composer was just having a little jam session of his own and just kind of threw it on there. Sometimes it works but much of the time it really doesn't.

The Vampire's Doll was next and was actually the first film in the series. This one is actually pretty compelling and atmospheric for the first 2 acts. It's well directed, the score is great, the mystery works. It's fairly bloodless but you don't mind because of how well-made it is. Of course, the 3rd act is kind of a wash since the payoffs are all pretty boring. In a lot of ways it's the inverse of Evil of Dracula.

Lake of Dracula is the middle film and might be my favorite of the bunch. It skews more towards dumb schlock but it's also the most consistently entertaining of the bunch. The vampires dying in the most hilarious ways was the icing on the cake.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
26. Jaws: The Revenge

Da0hVZg.jpg

Well it had to be done, and it was surprisingly bearable. Michael Caine actually seems like he's trying and his relationship with Mrs. Brody could have made for a nice little lifetime movie or something. The problem is there's her whole annoying family we have to devote time to along with their work and oh of course a shark trying to kill a family. Also it sort of seems to try and work in a telepathy angle with her sensing shark attacks even when they're not in sight. I dunno it's weird and oft times inexplicable. What more needs to be said than a shark with a vendetta?

Domisto

#21 - The Day of the Beast

8b06500bc18104f4d2855f1c5cc76cdc.jpg

I have to admit I never heard about this movie until this month, and it's a hidden gem
Spanish movie, with memorable characters and story, very well executed, this is one of the best surprises this year for me
Big fan of Day of the Beast. A really fun and unique movie.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
27. Critters

DcWfMFa.jpg

This was just some fun monster madness. It had my biggest laugh from this year's marathon and another that came pretty close. It's so obviously low budget and intentionally corny and I love it. It's a clear ripoff of Gremlins but it has enough of a unique setting and fun town that I barely was thinking about that by the end. Hopefully the sequels can at least keep some of this vibe.

kunonabi

October 26th: The Fog
[Amazon Video]

This is an odd one for me. I love mostly everything about it but I kind of wish it wasn't a movie. I think it would work much better as mini-series over a few nights in the town instead of just two. It would be nice to get to know the town a bit more and see a more developed escalation of things going bump in the night with maybe a stronger climax. I still find Atkins hooking up with girls who like they could almost be his daughter to be distracting and the ghouls just doing typical slasher stuff was also kind of underwhelming. Still, the presentation is absolutely top notch and it's good spooky time anyway.

October 27th: Host
[Shudder]

I respect the hustle but eh. Just didn't work for me especially the last 10 minutes.

EDIT: As I was looking for the poster image I read that the whole movie was filmed on zoom with everybody having to rig up the special effects, lighting, etc. themselves. If that is true than that's extremely impressive.

Still kind of eh though.

Tenaciousmo

Antiviral (2012)
Company sells...Viruses !? and people buy it ?! oh it's belle delphine's virus, gimme 2 then.

in all seriousness tho... I get what they're going for here but I don't think anyone would be dumb enough to do that shit. Quality technology cynical thingy, Cinematography is wonderful, from the very pristine white inside the clinic to the grimy exterior and everyday life. I found it had pacing issue tho, still enjoyed it.
So Tonight I got to watch another 3 movies, and I think I wont watch any other ones until friday/saturday with my coworker, I was un-phased all night and I'm gonna lead into my first review for the rest.

#56 ⭐
rpQDlC5cf4CfQl512D9qT4VQP5p.jpg

Below (2002)
Strange things start happening after a submarine picks up 3 castaways

I was surprisingly way more into that one than I originally thought I would be. I think the classic WWII submarine setting helped me a lot compared to other horror movies where its more often a haunted house, psycho on the loose or monster feature. I love naval settings so this might be just tugging at my heart strings but whatever, the submarine aspect to it brings a great reason for a stressful environment without being forced, adding 3 strangers to the mix and people will be SUSing. Really liked that one, Can't remember if anyone here mentioned it or how I picked it up during the month but I'm glad I did.

eden-lake.jpg

Eden Lake (2008)
Couple on vacation gets irritated by the presence of youths.

the movie itself is kind of cold, but irritating and kind of dumb too. I get what it's going for a bad ending but it wasn't satisfiying as a bad ending. Choices made are illogical, across the board, it has something that I really want to like in there but sadly the execution wasn't for me, ended up being middling to me. hope you enjoy it more than I did, I should have loved this one.

maxresdefault.jpg

Shocker (1989)
Teenage boy has dreams about the serial killer "du jour", gets him arrested, and sentenced to death. He comes back after being on the electric chair.

I didn't like it. It takes too long before anything happens, and when stuff happens, I was uninterested at best. I don't think it's because of the movies quality but the amount of movies I watched. I might give it another chance some other time, but for now, It would be a big pass .

Taking a Break until the weekend, gonna be reading instead. Have a good watch, gonna post my last movies on the morning of Nov. 1st

Domisto

#36 Resident Evil: Retribution (2012)

That might be the most videogame movie I've ever seen. Almost endless action with themed levels. It's like Paul WS Anderson realised there was no point trying to have characters or an intelligent plot. Instead settle for nothing but cheap videogame logic, a grandiose story, a few boss fights, and massive amounts of shooting and kicking. Probably the best decision as this was more entertaining than a couple of the other ones.

czmEou7.jpg

#37 Pizza (2012)

A supernatural story about a pizza delivery guy. Takes a while to warm up but the ending is a doozy.

o3xIUf4.jpg

15. tales from the crypt: demon knight.

havent seen this one in a while, prob like 20+ years. I always remembered loving it though. rewatching it reminded me just how great it was. sure its not full blown modern "horror" but more of a demon'y' action flick. Its no nonsense though. But its still wonderfully fun! the demons are creepy, esp when the npcs turn. Billy zane is fantastic in my opinion. He's so good, i really just want more of him & his character. Young Thomas Hayden Church, Young Jada Pinkett, william sadler, dick miller. all respectable actors, though Jada was a bit eh imo. The movie really focuses on this vignette of a much much larger story & lore, and part of me thinks that is some real substance there for either more films in that universe, or just wishes they explored it further in the movie.

Last edited:

rao.d.luffy

#25 - Angel Heart
Angel-Heart.jpg

There's a predictable plot here, but it works, and it's good, with Mickey Rourke and Al Pacino, there's a lot of stuff about religions and satanism, the atmophere is dense, a good movie

Top Bottom