• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K UHD/Blu-ray/DVD Community Thread: Bringing the Theater Home!

VulcanRaven

It took me a while to decide between Tenet, Dunkirk, and Interstellar, and I ultimately went with the movie that I haven’t seen. I saw Amazon has the 4k blu ray of Alita battle angel for like $8. I love the movie, but how is the 4k version?
It looks good but is only upscaled 4K. You should check reviews on Blu-ray.com. I recommend Godzilla vs Kong if you want good picture quality.

Last edited:

LordCBH

It's easily one of the best looking and sounding 4k uhd films I've seen so far! Obviously depending on what you're veiwing a movie on makes a difference.
It’s a Hisense U7H 55” if that makes any difference. I had a Sony one that I bought like 5 years ago but it shat the bed a while ago so I never got around to a lot of 4k movies on it

VulcanRaven

Some older movies that have really impressed me qualitywise recently are The War of the Worlds (1953), Batman (1989) and Superman 2. It looks much better than the first movie.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
arrived today

IMG_9840.jpeg

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
It seems like things are in motion

gm8NGky.png

1FYgB50.jpg

"Avatar: The Way of Water is available on Blu-Ray on June 20, when the 2009 original Avatar will also be offered in 4K UHD for the first time."

"20th Century Studios sets James Cameron’s AVATAR: THE WAY OF WATER for Blu-ray, DVD, Blu-ray 3D & 4K on 6/20, plus AVATAR joins it on Ultra HD"

Why can't we have a 4K version & 3D version bundle? Now I have to buy it twice >_<

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Picked up Predator on 4k. Looks and sounds great. It's an all time favorite that I've probably seen 50 times and Ive never seen it look better. Slowly replacing all of my favorite films with 4k versions if they're available. Aliens is the big hold out that I can think of right now. Fight club is another. Come on fox!

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I missed out on the amazon exclusive steel book on wick 4 :( Preordered the regular 4k. I'll probably snatch up both the avatar films on 4k as well.

I received this:
81tLFrv3m9L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

I have heard people saying that they used too much DNR but I still had to get it. These are some of my favorite cartoons.
So how is the video quality? Is it indeed as bad as they said?
Looks like Batman: Mask of the Phantasm is coming to 4K Blu-Ray:

"Rease Date TBA (Anticipated Sep 12, 2023)"
Hope they don't DNR the hell out of it. Blu ray already looks really good, and it's not exactly high detail animation, not sure if worth it.

Amory

It says coming soon when I look at the website and I don’t see a way to purchase.
The steelbooks have been sold out for a while, idk if they’re making more. But if they released the steelbook versions the discs are ready to go, so I’m guessing the standard release is imminent. Probably Tuesday?

Celcius

°Temp. member
For those of you watching 4K blu rays, is the drive in your player noticeably loud? My ps5 disk drive is loud when playing UHDs and I’m wondering how much quieter a standalone player would be.

Laieon

For those of you watching 4K blu rays, is the drive in your player noticeably loud? My ps5 disk drive is loud when playing UHDs and I’m wondering how much quieter a standalone player would be.

My UB820 is extremely silent, definitely more quiet than my Series X.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Generally don’t notice with my stand alone player either but usually have the sub woofer and surround sound on when watching a film.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Depending on how silent your surroundings are and how much contend with relative silence you watch it will be a noticeable emitter of sound. The disc is physically spinning. Some even have fans wich are quite audible.

For really silent operation imo you need modding / soundproofing.

Amory

Having used both my PS5 and standalone players (Sony UBPX700 and one previous cheaper LG unit that I can't remember the model # for), the standalone players are quieter.

I think it's more that the PS5 is quite loud for whatever reason, rather than the standalone players being particularly quiet.

theclaw135

Banned
Still in 1rst run theatres, and they’ve already sent out the disc orders? Sounds like Worst Buy done goofed.

Retailer took preorders, and sent out copies, even though Universal has yet to (officially) announce the film will receive a home video release.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

Princess Bride coming to 4k in September. Did anyone pick up the Avatar films in 4k? I bet the look great. I might pick them up even though I don't like the movies much.

VulcanRaven

Princess Bride coming to 4k in September. Did anyone pick up the Avatar films in 4k? I bet the look great. I might pick them up even though I don't like the movies much.
I checked the first on movie on Disney+. It did look very good in my opinion but people say that its upscaled because the movie was finished in 2K.

Last edited:

NekoFever

People forget how long ago that movie came out — it was shot before the first viable 4K cinema camera was even released. So yes, it’s been upscaled from a 2K master.

I wouldn’t get too hung up on that though. Cinema 2K is still slightly higher than 1080p and resolution is only one aspect of why 4K Blu-ray looks better. There are some stunning-looking transfers from 2K masters.

WoodyStare

Heat 4K currently on sale for $4 on US Amazon store.

VulcanRaven

Looks great. I remember watching the Animated Series when I was younger, but I didn't catch any of the movies from that time period, so I'll pick this one up. Are there any others from that group that did the animated tv show I should grab?
I recommend Batman & Mr. Freeze: SubZero that is also based on the animated series. There are two other movies I haven't seen: Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman and Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker. Mask of the Phantasm is the only one released in theaters.

Last edited:

WoodyStare

I just purchased the Panasonic UB820 because my Xbox 4K players were having issues with disc playback for some reason. It also supports all of the HDR formats and works as a 4K upscaler which is nice. Excited to get my hands on it.

Last edited:

Laieon

It's been a pricey summer. Still have Arrow's 4k release of Battle Royale on the way (not the 5 disc set though, nobody cares about 2) and Baby Driver.

DSC04974-2.jpg

I just purchased the Panasonic UB820 because my Xbox 4K players were having issues with disc playback for some reason. It also supports all of the HDR formats and works as a 4K upscaler which is nice. Excited to get my hands on it.

Can't go wrong with the UB820.

Last edited:

Aggelos

New arrivals:
IMG_0588.jpg

That boxset contains some truly unique rarities and holy grails for Bruce Lee fans. The long-lost log fight scene from Game of Death, and the Mandarin Cut for Big Boss.

"-The Final Game of Death, a brand new three-hour video essay by Arrow Films that incorporates a new 2K restoration of all two hours of Lee’s original dailies from a recently-discovered interpositive.
-Super 8 footage from 1974 of Dan Inosanto demonstrating the nunchaku."

Top Bottom