• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K UHD/Blu-ray/DVD Community Thread: Bringing the Theater Home!

Fuck my life £58.94 to preorder Trainspotting 4k UHD (Criterion Collection) from WOWHD.

DUzf1e6.gif

MacReady13

I know! It's absolutely wonderful news for movie enthusiasts. I hope the UK get a release as well.

hyyKfCM.gif
I'm in Australia so if 20th Century Fox films are still being distributed by Disney, I'm fucked. So regardless, I'm importing the USA versions to secure a copy of each of these glorious films. The Abyss in 4K is going to be a moment to savor! I still have my DVD copy and treasure it like no other...

I'm in Australia so if 20th Century Fox films are still being distributed by Disney, I'm fucked. So regardless, I'm importing the USA versions to secure a copy of each of these glorious films. The Abyss in 4K is going to be a moment to savor! I still have my DVD copy and treasure it like no other...
Yeah that sucks what Disney has done to you guys over the pond! Like youself I'll probably be ordering from America unless there is a UK release. I tend to order shit loads of 4k content from America these days. The postage is absolutely obnoxious to say the least! I preordered Trainspotting 4k UHD (Criterion Collection) for £58.94 from WOWHD.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Any of you loading up on UHD movies at BestBuy during these black friday sales before they stop selling physical media next year?

Andyliini

In all probability it should, because of how popular all three films are.
Indeed, but I don't really trust Disney these days. Heck, I don't trust any publisher anymore, when it comes to releasing their BD's in smaller markets. But maybe these are popular enough to warrant a release. Maybe.

Laieon

Titanic soon too.

Also, as a physical 4k enthusiast can I just say that I love the slight change on 4k packaging I'm seeing more and more lately where they combine the "4k Ultra HD" bar and the "Blu Ray + Digital" bar, leaving more room for the art itself. Even better that it's transparent and not two gradients that look straight out of 2005.

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I am confused by all the marketing. What is the difference between BluRay, Bluray 4K, and 4K UHD?

violence

I am confused by all the marketing. What is the difference between BluRay, Bluray 4K, and 4K UHD?
Blueray = 1080p
4k UltraHD Blueray = 4k + HDR

HDR is usually what makes the difference when upgrading a movie according to physical media reviewers.

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Blueray = 1080p
4k UltraHD Blueray = 4k + HDR

HDR is usually what makes the deference when upgrading a movie according to physical media reviewers.

But what about Bluray + 4K? Is that worth buying or is 4K UHD the "best of the best" at the moment? I ask because there are a few films I want to get, but I don't want to buy the weaker version for my favorite films lol.

violence

But what about Bluray + 4K? Is that worth buying or is 4K UHD the "best of the best" at the moment? I ask because there are a few films I want to get, but I don't want to buy the weaker version for my favorite films lol.
A lot of movies come with a regular (1080p) Blu-ray and a (4k streaming) digital code. That's 3 separate ways to watch the movie. The 4k "Ultra HD" disc will have the best possible quality due to highest bitrate.

DyzJSNO.jpg

Last edited:

j0hnnix

Gold Member
I'm still working on my home theater and everyone in avsforum/reddit home theater,4kBluray talks about the Panny UB820.. what are you all using for physical media playback? It's on sale at Amazon for 349.. at least last I checked.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
A lot of movies come with a regular (1080p) Blu-ray and a (4k streaming) digital code. That's 3 separate ways to watch the movie. The 4k "Ultra HD" disc will have the highest quality due to highest bitrate.

DyzJSNO.jpg
Gotcha! I will buy the UltraHD then when I can. I don't want a lot of movies, but a few handful fo favorites I like to keep handy for best viewing.

violence

I'm still working on my home theater and everyone in avsforum/reddit home theater,4kBluray talks about the Panny UB820.. what are you all using for physical media playback? It's on sale at Amazon for 349.. at least last I checked.
I used to have the Sony X700 but upgraded to the UB820. I was getting fed up with the skips. Literally a small grain of dust would cause that player to skip.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
I used to have the Sony X700 but upgraded to the UB820. I was getting fed up with the skips. Literally a small grain of dust would cause that player to skip.
I read that about the x700 , which was another one that was on sale. Outside of Oppo the UB820 seems to be the top player. That's in my "will not be murdered by fiance if I buy it" budget.

violence

I read that about the x700 , which was another one that was on sale. Outside of Oppo the UB820 seems to be the top player. That's in my "will not be murdered by fiance if I buy it" budget.
That’s probably what I would recommend if you’re going to use it and that’s the player the 4K Blu-ray Reddit community recommends.

I think it was when I bought the Game of Thrones 4K Blu-ray set that was the tipping point. That set looks great and the amount there is to watch really magnified the skipping issue. Apparently triple layer blu-rays give the Sony X 700 trouble and most of the Game of Thrones 4K Blu-ray set is triple layer.

Last edited:

Garibaldi

I had the UB820 until the kids ruined it by sticking a disc in when they just had jam sandwiches. It never recovered no matter how much I tried to clean it.

It's a quality player. Plenty good features and support. I bought it's bigger brother, the UB9000 as a replacement. Kids aren't allowed near it.

Laieon

Another UB820 fan checking in.

That’s probably what I would recommend if you’re going to use it. That’s the player the 4K Blu-ray Reddit community recommends.

I think it was when I bought the Game of Thrones 4K Blu-ray set that was the tipping point. That set looks great and the amount there is to watch really magnified the skipping issue. Apparently triple layer blu-rays give the Sony X 700 trouble and most of the Game of Thrones 4K Blu-ray set is triple layer.

Another benefit of the UB820 is its fantastic upscaling capabilities.

Last edited:

Laieon

On paper 4k is the best of the best and in most cases that's true, but there's some movies out there (Terminator 2 and Friday the 13th are some examples) where the 4k transfer isn't great to the point where, despite the resolution difference, the BluRay transfer makes the BluRay worth getting instead.

There's also some where the transfers have mixed reception, and it really comes down to your preference. I love the 4k transfers for Lord of the Rings and so do a lot of others, but there's also a ton of people who prefer the color grading and transfers of the Blu Ray copies.

Caps-A-Holic is a great website where you can compare differences between versions.

Examples:

violence

All 4k movies with Megan Fox in her prime are "fake 4k" which is tragic... Apparently editing on 2k digital was common at the time.

hollams

Gold Member
Bought the 820 as well as an upgrade from my x700 which I never had an issue with it skipping, but I didn't like having to switch Dolby Vision off/on. I also like that the 820 is just a regular power plug where the x700 has a big adapter that takes up a couple of spots.

All 4k movies with Megan Fox in her prime are "fake 4k" which is tragic... Apparently editing on 2k digital was common at the time.
AI upscaling is getting better and will continue to get better. Heck the nvidia super resolution upscaling for youtube(need at least 2000 rtx, and need to enable hardware acceleration in chrome or edge, and enable it also in nvidia control panel), is like night and day, almost like looking through a window. Truly mind blowing stuff.

When you think you bought Predator on 4k Blu Ray but got The Predator instead:
lYMXrzs.gif

The Blu-ray.com-app is great to organize your collection and preventing you from buying the same movie twice but unfortunately it doesn't teach you how to read lol

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I picked up Blade Runner 2049 and Highlander on 4k on the Black Friday sale. I had BR digitally on 4k but I wanted the disc. Highlander is going to be a treat because I don't think I've seen it in hi def

Top Bottom