• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K UHD/Blu-ray/DVD Community Thread: Bringing the Theater Home!

I received my copy today damaged and dented from Amazon, why am I not surprised. Sticking a film in a scummy fucking jiffy bag, what could possibly go wrong! Sold out now as well.

Cunts!

I ordered this earlier from America. Now make a Fist Of The North Star 4k UHD transfer!

pUyPM4w.jpg

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Picked up some Looney Tunes on Blu-ray. I saw somewhere that they are being removed from Max so I wanted some on physical. I'll probably pick up a few more. I'm surprised how good these look.

I watched Titanic and it looks great. Screenshots of Aliens and True Lies I have seen look pretty bad. Some shots look great but they used too much DNR and AI. These look bad:

Left is the old Blu-Ray and right is 4K:
ARDRgEW.jpg

I've never once seen a perfect 4k transfer, almost perfect many times for sure. Aliens has some poor scenes yes. If you watch the video I linked it's mostly nicely cleaned up, especially in the dark scenes where noise and artifacts have been mostly eradicated and looks vastly better imo. I'm more than happy with the Abyss transfer, but True Lies is inexcusable and as rancid as Terminator 2 Judgment Day.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
I've never once seen a perfect 4k transfer, almost perfect many times for sure. Aliens has some poor scenes yes. If you watch the video I linked it's mostly nicely cleaned up, especially in the dark scenes where noise and artifacts have been mostly eradicated and looks vastly better imo. I'm more than happy with the Abyss transfer, but True Lies is inexcusable and as rancid as Terminator 2 Judgment Day.
going to check out the video myself. i do prefer the slight grain in the original but its been so long. I have read about the issues with True Lies and as mentioned by Violence seems to be another bad T2 transfer. shortcuts to save some money and to get a larger return. i guess i cant blame them from a business perspective completely sucks for the viewer.

Edit* Some of those close ups of the Cat and Ripley look amazing in this transfer.

Last edited:

violence

Maybe it still sold well and that is how Cameron wants them to look. Who knows if Cameron even heard the feedback.
From what I heard it used the 3D theatrical version which had heavy DNR in order to achieve the 3D effect. That was released by the publisher without Cameron’s oversight and there’s apparently gonna be a special edition down the road that was going to be fixed. Now I’m not so sure due to the true lies 4K release. He’s a guy that embraces technology, maybe he likes the results.😒

From what I heard it used the 3D theatrical version which had heavy DNR in order to achieve the 3D effect. That was released by the publisher without Cameron’s oversight and there’s apparently gonna be a special edition down the road that was going to be fixed. Now I’m not so sure due to the true lies 4K release. He’s a guy that embraces technology, maybe he likes the results.😒
True Lies has heavy DNR from what I've heard and from the handful of screen shots I've seen. But it might be the case that only a few scenes got ruined and not the whole film.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
James Cameron doesn’t give a single shit about home releases.
His Avatar movies are actually mastered in SDR, flat looking shit discs and every single of his remasters are DNR’ed to hell and back.

It’s like he’s doing it on purpose at this point.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Those pics you guys posted above look terrible. I was hoping 4k would just be bump in res and maybe some colour corrections.

Instead, the actors got plastered with plastic toy look.

Tom Arnold looks worse than a AI Bing image.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Those pics you guys posted above look terrible. I was hoping 4k would just be bump in res and maybe some colour corrections.

Instead, the actors got plastered with plastic toy look.

Tom Arnold looks worse than a AI Bing image.

That's not a 4k thing just really bad digital noise reduction which has been a thing since for some time now. Studios have been better about not abusing it so much lately, well some of them anyway, but Cameron just doubled down on it along with other problematic alterations.

Good 4K transfers are absolutely wonderful

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Got few more movies. Gf's mom and dad got me Harry Potter collection. GF got me Matrix Collection, John Wick 4, King Kong (Peter Jackson), and Top Gun collection.

Also, Small collection of photos of the home theater. Screen built out today and waiting for GF dad to bring the laser leveler to mount. Second coat of paint will be done on the sides, found some places needing some sanding. We are debating velvet black around the screen and front flooring.

Excited Friday GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Got few more movies. Gf's mom and dad got me Harry Potter collection. GF got me Matrix Collection, John Wick 4, King Kong (Peter Jackson), and Top Gun collection.

Also, Small collection of photos of the home theater. Screen built out today and waiting for GF dad to bring the laser leveler to mount. Second coat of paint will be done on the sides, found some places needing some sanding. We are debating velvet black around the screen and front flooring.

Excited Friday GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

You really need to make more areas around the screen black. You went to such lengths already, would be a shame not to do it 100%.

I really want this set and might cave but the price is ridiculous. Hopefully it has a good transfer.
There are two variants. I got the cheaper version.

WoodyStare

There are two variants. I got the cheaper version.

I debated going this route with the region free 4K disc and it being much cheaper, but I don’t have a region free player and if I wanted to watch any special features I’d be shit out of luck with all of them likely being on the Blu-ray Disc. I purchased the Second Sight 4K release of Dawn of the Dead and while the transfer is phenomenal, it kinda drives me insane that I can’t access all of the special features. I doubt these sets will sell out with the current US prices. I might wait for a sale, but it is one of my favorite movies so it’s tempting.

Last edited:
I debated going this route with the region free 4K disc and it being much cheaper, but I don’t have a region free player and if I wanted to watch any special features I’d be shit out of luck with all of them likely being on the Blu-ray Disc. I purchased the Second Sight 4K release of Dawn of the Dead and while the transfer is phenomenal, it kinda drives me insane that I can’t access all of the special features. I doubt these sets will sell out with the current US prices. I might wait for a sale, but it is one of my favorite movies so it’s tempting.
Aww sorry that's the UK edition.

WoodyStare

The Abyss is cancelled in the UK due to the 'rat' scene.

This will whack the price up for import considerably - will the disc be region free in the US?
If I’m not mistaken, most if not all 4K discs are region free. The Abyss in the US is being advertised as region free.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Thanks - I didn't know if some studios still locked them out and this being ultimately Disney whether they acted like fuckers or not.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Next question.

Any UK GAF import discs and if so, what’s your company of choice please?

I need to get this film I also don’t want to be ripped off to fuckery.

Next question.

Any UK GAF import discs and if so, what’s your company of choice please?

I need to get this film I also don’t want to be ripped off to fuckery.
I live in the UK and regularly order from these online suppliers based in America. I'm yet to have a problem, so far so good touch wood. All the links have superb cardboard packaging, so highly unlikely you'll receive damaged items.

WOWHD
ARROW VIDEO
Deep Discount

Beware of ordering from Amazon America as the bastards send the films out in jiffy bags and they have ALWAYS ended up damaged for me!

oX7lJF5.jpg

Last edited:

WoodyStare

The Raid: Redemption 4K steelbook in the US is a must own release. The new color timing and native 4K transfer really transform this film, felt like I was watching it again for the first time. The steelbook is also embossed and looks beautiful. The movie itself is still one of the best action films ever made, but the difference between what was available previously and now is substantial. Really hope the streaming services switch to this version.

7OpAPYW.jpg

AJUMP23

Gold Member
The Raid: Redemption 4K steelbook in the US is a must own release. The new color timing and native 4K transfer really transform this film, felt like I was watching it again for the first time. The steelbook is also embossed and looks beautiful. The movie itself is still one of the best action films ever made, but the difference between what was available previously and now is substantial. Really hope the streaming services switch to this version.

7OpAPYW.jpg
Why would you put the blue filter in a movie.

gatti-man

I watched Titanic and it looks great. Screenshots of Aliens and True Lies I have seen look pretty bad. Some shots look great but they used too much DNR and AI. These look bad:

Left is the old Blu-Ray and right is 4K:
ARDRgEW.jpg

I can’t speak for screenshots. I have a 140” screen with a JVC NZ7 projector and the new transfer is night and day better than the blu ray. It’s just much more clear and has superior detail across the board. Not sure what these people are viewing this on and settings.

WoodyStare

Why would you put the blue filter in a movie.
I’ve wondered the same thing myself since the last Blu-ray release from over 10 years ago. The blue tint really made it look blurry and dull, but the movie is so good that it was never too much of a distraction. I don’t think the director has commented on this look, and I can’t say if this is how it looked during the limited theatrical run, but a decent amount of earlier Blu-ray’s seemed to be done with little care or incorrect color timing for a rushed release. It’s nice that nowadays we have the directors mostly supervising the new transfers and HDR.

Last edited:
Top Bottom