• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K UHD/Blu-ray/DVD Community Thread: Bringing the Theater Home!

What is this?
Pre-emptive insurance policy against offending the salivating furry mob.

WcHeFdi.gif

Last edited:
Bought Deadpool 2 (Extended Cut) a few days ago.

I was surprised it came with both versions on Blu-Ray and 4k Blu-Ray.
I hope when the third installment comes out they make a nice 4k steelbook boxset. There are some great 4k transfers coming out this year! Kill Bill Volume 1 and 2 should look amazing.

Quasicat

“These stereotypes were wrong then and they are wrong now.” Disney said the same stuff with the Muppet Show.
I have taught History for the past two decades and I teach my students that we do not place our morals on the people of the past because their morals were very different. It wasn’t wrong to them at the time. Disney really needs to get over itself and realize that I don’t want or need an ethics lesson from them.

SirTerry-T

Going to pre-order that Arrow Conan 4k disc...though for some reason, Arrow (a UK company) don't have the disc on their UK site.

....bugger.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Ugh I hadn't heard of Arrow releases until Slickdeals mentioned 4k edition of the last star fighter and I completely missed out on it. Finally added their site as bookmark and hoping Conan and The last star fighter show up.

GloveSlap

Ugh I hadn't heard of Arrow releases until Slickdeals mentioned 4k edition of the last star fighter and I completely missed out on it. Finally added their site as bookmark and hoping Conan and The last star fighter show up.
Check your local Barnes and Noble. They have Arrow half off for a couple more days. If you are lucky they will still have at least the Conan double pack 4k. The single releases will be harder to find at this point.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Check your local Barnes and Noble. They have Arrow half off for a couple more days. If you are lucky they will still have at least the Conan double pack 4k. The single releases will be harder to find at this point.
Thank you! I'll check them out as well.

Kelly McDonald 4K bush.
Whoever decided to use cardboard instead of a generic plastic blu-ray case should have their bollocks shut in a drawer! The cardboard is cheap and it has sustained damage and tears due to piss poor quality control! I paid £40 for that and I'm returning it.

Film looks smashing though, greater detail, vibrant colours, inky blacks and still retains grain. Definitely a step up from the Blu-ray.

Audiophile

Gold Member
What Cameron has done on his 4Ks is an abomination. A presentation as faithful as possible to the original release should always be the goal for a primary release on modern formats; albeit with the greater granularity and lattitude afforded by a 4K scan of the original elements vs the multi-generation-removed theatrical prints. If he wants a waxy, AI, DNR-fest he should prepare a second deliverable for a second disc in a collector's set or a separate, additional release.

Studios should have a team of unbiased professionals whose job it is to present the content accurately utilising every source at their disposal. Then if directors want to make additional editions they can.

The original presentation is paramount; original unrealised intentions or renewed intentions should be secondary.

The AI "upscaling" tech he's used here is neither ready nor necessary, there's plenty of information on the film stock and the grain represents the time it was shot in and the medium used. He's just an aesthetic revisionist who hates film grain and for some reason thinks that making these monstrous creased-up wax creatures is a fair trade-off. There are even scenes in True Lies where the AI has inferred information incorrectly leading to Arnie looking in the wrong direction.

Selective, light, high-quality DNR should be used in problem areas and that's it.

The fact that a D-VHS -- itself sourced from a 2K IP scan -- looks leagues ahead 22yrs late, says something.

Old Arnie seems to be cursed on this front. The T2 4K got the same hideous treatment with conventional DNR, as did the original Predator Blu-ray. He's effectively a three-time inductee to Madame Tussauds at this point.

Unfortunately the elements for these films are now locked away in a vault; and the raw scans stored away on servers. Dripping with potential for beautiful presentations and yet this is probably the best we'll ever get, this was likely the last chance. Another tragic mistreatment of art, entertainment and cultural heritage; and we're arbitrarily locked off from seeing them as they should be while being served up a turd and charged a premium for it.

Same goes for the 4K of The Exorcist. All they had to do is provide the neutral colour timing for the exorcism and some other select scenes in the Theatrical Cut, while also laying off the filtering. But instead we got some Frankenstein look mixing the infantile, cold blue revisionist grade from '98 with some new mangled colour-bleeding/chroma effect.

Unfortunately, some Directors, Producers & Cinematographers need to be kept well away from "restorations/remasters" of their older works; and any new modified, revisionist versions should relegated to extra deliverables in special or separate editions.

Last edited:
Should I buy the panasonic ub-820 to use instead of my ps5
100% yes buy the Panasonic DPUB820EB. It's a dedicated 4k Blu-ray player that trumps the ps5 in almost everything.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
100% yes buy the Panasonic DPUB820EB. It's a dedicated 4k Blu-ray player that trumps the ps5 in almost everything.

Does it play ps5 games?

I asked first.

You compared it to a console not me. 😀
I said it's a dedicated 4k Blu-ray player which means it will have more options over a ps5 for a better home cinema experience. Compare the settings and options and you'll see for yourself.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I said it's a dedicated 4k Blu-ray player which means it will have more options over a ps5 for a better home cinema experience. Compare the settings and options and you'll see for yourself.
I just moved on to giving you a hard time for my own foolish amusement. I do need a good Blu-ray player and appreciate your contribution.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.

I did it I bought it picking it up tomorrow

NeonGhost

So I got the ub820 and ran into a problem my lg c1 doesn’t pass through DTS to my lg SP8YA sound bar do I lose any video quality if I plug the player directly into the soundbar then to the tv

Demigod Mac

LG unfortunately removed DTS pass through after the C9 series. If the soundbar can pass through 4K and Dolby Vision to the TV then you should be getting full video quality.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Same. That's why I've got my ps5 plugged directly into my receiver. I lose out on vrr and 120hz since my receiver doesn't have HDMI 2.1 but I don't care about those things.

I have thought about doing that, because my xbox doesn't sync its audio that great from the HDMI passthrough to the receiver. But I like the VRR a lot.

So I got the ub820 and ran into a problem my lg c1 doesn’t pass through DTS to my lg SP8YA sound bar do I lose any video quality if I plug the player directly into the soundbar then to the tv
The Blu-ray player has a separate audio and video hdmi outputs, so I run the video out to my tv and sound out to my soundbar. Doing that will mean you get all sound formats when watching films.

Last edited:

NeonGhost

The Blu-ray player has a separate audio and video hdmi outputs, so I run the video out to my tv and sound out to my soundbar. Doing that will mean you get all sound formats when watching films.
Is there any negative effects of just plugging it into my soundbar ?

Is there any negative effects of just plugging it into my soundbar ?
Honestly I'm not sure. If your soundbar has eARC and is capable of Dolby Vision passthrough there shouldn't be a problem with bandwidth. Unfortunately my soundbar (Sennheiser Ambeo Max) is selective when it comes to what Blu-ray player can get Dolby Vision to work with passthrough.

Last edited:

NeonGhost

Honestly I'm not sure. If your soundbar has eARC and is capable of Dolby Vision passthrough there shouldn't be a problem with bandwidth. Unfortunately my soundbar (Sennheiser Ambeo Max) is selective when it comes to what Blu-ray player can get Dolby Vision to work with passthrough.
It does Dolby vision and has both the hdmi ports with 2.1

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
LG unfortunately removed DTS pass through after the C9 series. If the soundbar can pass through 4K and Dolby Vision to the TV then you should be getting full video quality.

LG brought DTS:X passthrough back last year. Don't think they added that feature to firmware updates of older tvs.

But why insist on DTS passthrough when PCM sounds exactly the same as DTS HD? If you're using a soundbar, you're probably not using a multi speaker setup with speakers on the ceiling. Because in that case you're not missing out on anything when you choose PCM.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

I didn't know Paprika was getting a 4k disc. I'm not paying 45 bucks for it but I'll get it when it comes down in price. Great anime film.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Amazon UK have just told me that Aliens 4K is now expected 6th January 2025.

Have I missed something?

Top Bottom