• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5 Films To See In January (what are you watching?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Cosmic Bus said:
Granted, he's only two movies in, but Johnson hasn't yet shown that he's capable of anything compelling, creative, or with even a hint of individualism. He's another great borrower, one who's in love with himself and only knows how to loudly wear his influences on his sleeve, which is probably why he's becoming so popular with today's twenty-somethings.

you are certifiably insane.

i love ethan hawke, and it may be enough to get me to see DAYBREAKERS.

. . . maybe

jett

D-Member
james-cameron.jpg

faridmon

wait, how do you actually know that that movie is Jackie Cahn's lowest point? judging by the trailer? watched the movie?

i can't wait for it since it has the bloody Jakie Chan in it,

Solo

Edge of Darkness looks like the only thing worth seeing. Outside of more Avatar viewings, that is.

EDIT: Also plan to check out Lovely Bones despite the reviews

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Seeing Daybreakers purely on the strength of the directors' previous film, Undead.

Also, they're Aussies.

Also, Sam Neil.

Also, Claudia Karvan.

faridmon said:
wait, how do you actually know that that movie is Jackie Cahn's lowest point? judging by the trailer? watched the movie?

i can't wait for it since it has the bloody Jakie Chan in it,

After being subjected to the trailer many times in the theater. Who knows, it could be his best film though.

JaseMath

I have a friend that worked on the trailer for Youth in Revolt. He said it was pretty good, but has been re-cut multiple times - not really a good sign imo.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
This looks like the lowest point in January's career.

I beg to differ (only talking abt wide releases) here are the good films we have gotten in Jan this decade:

2009: Taken
2008: Cloverfield
2007: Nothing
2006: Nothing
2005: Nothing
2004: Nothing
2003: Nothing
2002: The Counte of Monte Cristo
2001: Nothing
2000: Nothing

I'd say 3-4 promising films is pretty good this year!

Raydeen

Book of Eli (Whittasisms aside) it look great and I love my some post apocolyptic movie making.

Daybreakers - trailer look fantastic and cool concept

Legion - intresting take on the siege movie and Bettney doesn't strike me as a paycheque type of guy

vehn

Daybreakers at 100%!!!

Wonder why their's no leap year reviews yet. Hope its big bomba... trailer practically told EVERYTHING that happens in the movie, her not having a good relationship with the american dude so she goes to see her scottish dude and they have fun and then the american dude proposes to her and then the scottish dude closes his eyes. SO LAME

Clevinger said:
But it was written by a guy I kinda, not really know on the internet!

I only 'know' Witta from PC Gamer and from here so it's totally ok to be honest about if you think it sucks because he can't hunt you down and look at you sadly.

But in all honesty, it looks pretty cool, and Denzel Washington can't suck.

cwmartin

not really getting the Youth in Revolt hype :/. Michael Cera by himself is a downplay in most movies, but two of him? NAH BRAH. Looks stoopid dur.

Ceres

Banned
cwmartin said:
not really getting the Youth in Revolt hype :/. Michael Cera by himself is a downplay in most movies, but two of him? NAH BRAH. Looks stoopid dur.

Because it's a hilarious film. I'll be seeing it for the second time tonight.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I'm surprised Daybreakers is getting glowing reviews/impressions. When I had first seen the trailer, I thought it would be some terrible vampire flick.

Clevinger said:
But it was written by a guy I kinda, not really know on the internet!

Hehe feels like it.

The movie itself looks kinda forgettable, almost feels like it should be starring Will Smith and be a quickly forgotten summer flick from the trailers, I dunno it just does nothing for me. Also the action scenes with Denzel just look awkward to me *shrug*

Guys, it's a movie where Denzel walks around a post-apocalyptic wasteland killing dudes with a sword while Gary Oldman and Tom Waits try to kill him. Also, Mila Kunis. This movie will almost certainly be very entertaining at the very least, but the Hughes brothers have spoken very highly of Whitta's script in interviews. It was good enough to make them direct their first movie in several years, at least.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Book of Eli - Possibly Day one (I mean you have got too, it's written be a fellow GAFfer!)
Daybreakers - Maybe

jett

D-Member
DanielPlainview said:
just saw Youth In Revolt...simply outstanding. The crow to be eaten will be almost Avatar level. So glad I put it as number 1.

How about for those of us that think Michael Cera is a talentless douchebag?

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
icarus-daedelus said:
I'm just glad that I have this thread here to inform me to avoid The Tooth Fairy.
I was planning on seeing it opening day until this thread steered me in the right direction.

Replicant

DanielPlainview said:
5. Legion (Stewart, Jan. 22nd)

Synopsis: At a remote truck stop diner, in the wake of a biblical apocalypse, a group of strangers unwittingly become humanity's last line of defense when they discover the diner's young waitress is pregnant with the messiah.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: Thanks to Legion we have the funniest trailer of the decade (so far). I don't think that is the intention, but this looks like one ridiculous over-the-top B-movie that can't be missed.

4. Daybreakers (Spierig Brothers, Jan. 8th)

Synopsis: In the year 2017, a plague has transformed most every human into vampires. Faced with a dwindling blood supply, the fractured dominant race plots their survival; meanwhile, a researcher (Ethan Hawke) works with a covert band of vamps on a way to save humankind.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: I saw this at Toronto International Film Festival back in September and it is some bloody fun. Creating one of the better vampire films in recent years, the Spierig Brothers do a lot with a little and it works wonders.

Leap Year (Tucker, Jan. 8th)

Synopsis: Anna (Amy Adams) has spent four years with her boyfriend, Jeremy (Scott), without a wedding proposal. During his business trip to Dublin, Anna opts to act on Leap Day, an Irish tradition that encourages women to propose to men on the date February 29th. A re-routed plane trip, however, lands her at the door of a Welsh innkeeper (Matthew Goode), who might offer a diversion of his own.

Trailer

Why You Should Rent It: I'm putting a tiny amount of faith in this project considering the talent of the two leads and the director previous three efforts (Shop Girl, When Did You Last See Your Father, and an entry into the Red Riding trilogy) all turned out quite well.

Just those 3, thanks.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
God damn none of my friends want to go and see Daybreakers as they all think it will be terrible. Looks like I will have to go to the cinema on my own for the first ever time.

Mister E

Figured this would be the best place to ask. A theater close to me is getting The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, A Single Man, Broken Embraces, and The Lovely Bones this week. I think I'll only have time to watch two of them, which of them do you guys think I should watch?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Mister E said:
Figured this would be the best place to ask. A theater close to me is getting The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, A Single Man, Broken Embraces, and The Lovely Bones this week. I think I'll only have time to watch two of them, which of them do you guys think I should watch?

A Single Man and Broken Embraces. Parnassus looks, to me, like another Gilliam shitbag and Lovely Bones is just flatout bad.

I saw Extraordinary Measures a couple days ago, it was absolutely terrible. Harrison Ford is the only decent thing it. I can't believe CBS films are releasing 5-6 movies like this a year.

Check out the review here.

Reza_Neko

Hootie said:
WHY DOES THIS MOVIE EXIST
For the same reason that "The Game Plan" exists. Appeals to younger audiences?

nx9f6q.jpg

Although I probably shouldn't judge until I see "The Game Plan". Which I won't because it didn't look funny enough to me. At least this movie looks slightly funnier. Besides, it has Julie Andrews in it:D

I really want to see Legion! The previews for it (especially with the old lady crawling on the ceiling and telling the woman "You're child is going to burn!") was so creepy looking!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom