• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

HiResDes

When I listen with my headphone to my Desktop without the Amp, there was no background noise. The background noise is present when I listen with my Headphones, Amp, and Desktop.
Hmmm...If there's a low gain mode try that. If it's more of a hum that never dissipates you might have a grounding issue. Try changing cables if you have spares as well. Like I said before an initial hum is normal when dealing with tubes. You could try moving the Valhalla away from other electronics and plugging it in directly to an outlet if it's on an extension with a bunch of other electronics now.

minx

I'll shorten my question so maybe it can be answered.

Is the non-replacable pads of the Philips Fidelio X1 a huge deal breaker? I would like to keep these for 10 years. If necessary I'll bite the bullet and get the X2 if required to keep these for a long time.

Hmmm...If there's a low gain mode try that. If it's more of a hum that never dissipates you might have a grounding issue. Try changing cables if you have spares as well. Like I said before an initial hum is normal when dealing with tubes. You could try moving the Valhalla away from other electronics and plugging it in directly to an outlet if it's on an extension with a bunch of other electronics now.

I hear the background noise even on Low Gain. I plugged the Headphones, AMP into my Phone and there was no background noise.

HiResDes

Good luck getting 10 years out of anything... But as a X1 owner I'd definitely pay the premium for the build improvements of the X2 if I thought I had to try and make them last a decade.

I tried the Valhalla 2 and HD650 on my friend's desktop which is similarly specked to mine and I still hear Background noise. Does the power the desktop system consume affect my Valhalla 2?

Nikodemos

Talking about cables, I'm currently looking for an extender. I'll go with the KSC75s suggested above (couldn't find the Audio-Technicas anywhere in my country), but the cable is a tad short at 1.2 m (needs about an extra 0.6 m for confort), and the work PC I'm using doesn't have the front ports wired for some reason.

What brand of cheap yet decent (that wouldn't degrade the signal) extender would you recommend?

So I'm working on a sort of audio tool app. A bunch of calculators and looking for suggestions on useful stuff to add. I figure there must be some audio geeks in here that can help. So far I've got:

Acoustic power
Air absorption
Amplifier power required
Bracing - round cutouts (cylinder tube enclosure)
Bracing - round cutouts (square/rectangular enclosure)
Bracing - square/rectangular cutouts (square/rectangular enclosure)
Ceiling speaker coverage
dB to Volts
Delay and frequency
Inverse square law
Ohm's law
Port volume - cylinder tubes
Port volume - slotted ports
Power ratio
SPL (sound pressure level)
SPL addition
Volume - cylinder tube enclosure
Volume - square/rectangular enclosure
Volume - triangular/trapezoidal enclosure
Subwoofer cone area
Thermal noise
Voltage ratio
Vent length
Speaker impedance calculator
Frequency to note
Time stretch calculator
Loop length to BPM calculator

If anyone wants to try it out there is a link to play store in the neogaf apps for Android thread here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=157125331&postcount=7455

Gray Matter

Hi again auioGAF,

I need a new pair of headphones, this time I need something for working out, so I'm assuming they're going to be in-ear headphones, but I don't mind. I looked through the OP and didn't see any, maybe they're there and I couldn't find them. I need something that won't fall out of my ears, quality isn't as important, but I don't want something that I won't enjoy. My price range is $50-$100.

Thanks in advance!

RCSI

Had the time to try out multi-thousand dollar headphone systems, you name it, I probably (60% chance) tried it. I'll stick with my Senn. HD 600 in the meantime, as these systems did not represent a multi-thousand dollar difference.

Had the time to try out multi-thousand dollar headphone systems, you name it, I probably (60% chance) tried it. I'll stick with my Senn. HD 600 in the meantime, as these systems did not represent a multi-thousand dollar difference.

what did you listen to?

What was the listening environment like?

What was your source material along the different sets?

I think the HD800s alone represent a huge jump from all the other sennheiser sets, even if i dont particularly find their sound very "fun".

Did you try the LCD3-F's?

RCSI

what did you listen to?

What was the listening environment like?

What was your source material along the different sets?

I think the HD800s alone represent a huge jump from all the other sennheiser sets, even if i dont particularly find their sound very "fun".

Did you try the LCD3-F's?

Note, this was at CanJam Socal 2015. Environments ranged from hotel rooms to large, indoor pavilion. Sound environment was relevantly quiet (little to no conversation occurring), to group conversations in the background. So it was not good for critically listening to open back headphones. I also tend to listen at low listening levels as that is what I am conditioned to.

Source material was dependent on the booths set up. A few I could listen to my own sources (iPod loaded with 320 kps AAC content), CDs, DSDs, and other lossless files ranging from CD standard to higher resolution audio files.

Please note that I am not including sound descriptors, but general indicators (is there bass, is there mids, is there highs)

I did not pay attention to many of the $1000+ amps/dac model numbers, but the headphones I tried were:

Stax: SR-009 (one hooked up to a Bluemoon amp and another a custom amp), SR-007, Sigma 404, one other Stax model I am blanking on SR-407-SR507?). If money was of no concern I would jump straight to the end goal and purchase a Stax system. But I have no need or desire to spend that much.

Audeze LCD3, LCD2, LCDX, LCD-XC (I liked this one, mainly because I could listen at a comfortable level versus needing to blast the sound into my ears. Completely forgot to note the amp it was paired to but it was one with a digital volume control) - LCD3: Bass was represented, mids was fine, highs were lacking.

Sennheiser HD 800 (environment was not conductive to listening to this properly), HD 650, HD 600

Abyss AB-1266 - Certainty impressive and rather different for a headphone design. Don't remember it's sonic signature.

I admit, I did not research into different versions under the LCD3, so I can only assume Audeze brought the latest version.

SeSame

Neo Member
Hi phonesGAF!

Short backstory:
For a few years now, I've been using JBL J88 headphones. When I bought them, I didn't really care and just picked them randomly, and I guess they're not very good?
Now they broke and I want to get good heaphones for listening to classical music.

Please help me decide between
Teufel Areol Real - 100€
and
Sony MDR-MA900 - 200€

I've heard good things about those two, mainly that they are neutral, clear and have great soundstage.
Question is, are the Sonys worth double the price?

I might be able to get a used pair of Sonys for about 140€ - that would be a good deal I assume.
Has anyone had any experience with any of those two?

Thank you

How was the Hugo tt?

Was the new hifiman headset there?

Can't see the links as it's banned here I am.

I didn't try the TT but the new Hifiman was here, although they looked a bit different

16975641115_e73a4351d4_b.jpg

Note, this was at CanJam Socal 2015. Environments ranged from hotel rooms to large, indoor pavilion. Sound environment was relevantly quiet (little to no conversation occurring), to group conversations in the background. So it was not good for critically listening to open back headphones. I also tend to listen at low listening levels as that is what I am conditioned to.

Source material was dependent on the booths set up. A few I could listen to my own sources (iPod loaded with 320 kps AAC content), CDs, DSDs, and other lossless files ranging from CD standard to higher resolution audio files.

Please note that I am not including sound descriptors, but general indicators (is there bass, is there mids, is there highs)

I did not pay attention to many of the $1000+ amps/dac model numbers, but the headphones I tried were:

Stax: SR-009 (one hooked up to a Bluemoon amp and another a custom amp), SR-007, Sigma 404, one other Stax model I am blanking on SR-407-SR507?). If money was of no concern I would jump straight to the end goal and purchase a Stax system. But I have no need or desire to spend that much.

Audeze LCD3, LCD2, LCDX, LCD-XC (I liked this one, mainly because I could listen at a comfortable level versus needing to blast the sound into my ears. Completely forgot to note the amp it was paired to but it was one with a digital volume control) - LCD3: Bass was represented, mids was fine, highs were lacking.

Sennheiser HD 800 (environment was not conductive to listening to this properly), HD 650, HD 600

Abyss AB-1266 - Certainty impressive and rather different for a headphone design. Don't remember it's sonic signature.

I admit, I did not research into different versions under the LCD3, so I can only assume Audeze brought the latest version.

A friend of mine attended a Dallas meet and had the exact same reaction. He was coming from the HD600 and felt that the differences between the 600 and other TOTL phones was like whatever. The only thing that impressed him was Stax

Awesome pics btw. I've always wanted to attend one of the big meets, but unfortunately nothing actually happens here in STL

MRSA

Banned
I just got a pair of Brainwavz Delta and are these what decent IEMs are supposed to sound like? Because wow, I'm used to getting terrible bass heavy shit from cheap IEMs.

Duxxy3

I break IEMs on the regular so $20 is the most I'm probably gonna spend (I only use them when working out). We'll see how long these last.

Xiaomi Piston 3rd gen is available for a little over your budget. Might want to look into those.

andylsun

The correct new pads arrived from Japan for my STAX SR-5. Perfect fit and feel much more comfortable. Very happy

Death is the road to awe spinning and sounds incredible. The last part just keeps building and building.

HiResDes

I just got a pair of Brainwavz Delta and are these what decent IEMs are supposed to sound like? Because wow, I'm used to getting terrible bass heavy shit from cheap IEMs.

Honestly Delta are slightly bass light, so unless you got malfunctioning ones or had some crazy expectations I don't know what the hell you're talking about. Xaomi Piston have much much more bass than the Delta, which are relatively neutral. I'd try different tips to get a better seal or make sure you're not listening to transcodes or badly mastered tracks.

MRSA

Banned
I think he's probably surprised by how good they sound, if anything since he mentioned being used to stuff that sounded muddy

What he said. But that being said my microphone button will not work with my phone, time to get on Amazon CS.

Amazon is overnighting me a new pair, now I gotta return this one.

Excellent writeup and thanks for the feedback!

I'd love to spend more time with the abyss and SR009s!

Gray Matter

Hi again auioGAF,

I need a new pair of headphones, this time I need something for working out, so I'm assuming they're going to be in-ear headphones, but I don't mind. I looked through the OP and didn't see any, maybe they're there and I couldn't find them. I need something that won't fall out of my ears, quality isn't as important, but I don't want something that I won't enjoy. My price range is $50-$100.

Thanks in advance!

Anyone got any recommendations?

minx

This shit is so confusing for gaming on Xbox One with headphones. My understanding is with headphones such as Philips Fidelio X2 (plan to purchase soon since they have a good soundstage for gaming and are "fun") plugged into my Xbox one stereo headset adapter I am getting stereo sound while chatting and gaming. However, if I want Dolby Headphone, I would need a Astro Mixamp Pro? How much better is Dolby Headphone virtual surround via the mixamp pro or would the difference be negligent? Thanks.

ParityBit

This shit is so confusing for gaming on Xbox One with headphones. My understanding is with headphones such as Philips Fidelio X2 (plan to purchase soon since they have a good soundstage for gaming and are "fun") plugged into my Xbox one stereo headset adapter I am getting stereo sound while chatting and gaming. However, if I want Dolby Headphone, I would need a Astro Mixamp Pro? How much better is Dolby Headphone virtual surround via the mixamp pro or would the difference be negligent? Thanks.

I have the X2's shipping today from Amazon and I was wondering this also! Great questions. Did you buy the V-MODA mic and headset adapter? I did not get those yet but noticed the mic is 7-13 days shipping.

nib95

Banned
Picked up some AKG K551's for only £50 when Amazon had a sale a few months back. Looks like I must have gotten a new version, as it's cable and plug are slightly different to all photo's etc of it that are currently out there. Basically one of the negatives about it's plug not fitting on to phones with cases, has now been solved.

In any case, I am shocked at how good it sounds. It's very close to the sonic signature of my Beyerdynamic T1's actually, only with a touch more sub bass, and a slighter airier overall sound. Maybe a touch more revealing too. The T1's by contrast sound slightly smoother, more natural and more meaty overall, but only subtly so. The K551's are actually closer to the general sonic nature of the T1's than any other cans I've tested, including the Audeze LCD-2's (V2) and the Sennheiser HD800's. I wouldn't really say the T1's necessarily sound definitively better (though I prefer them), just slightly different. I'd imagine preference would differ from person to person, which is pretty crazy given one of the headphones retails for around £100, whilst the other retails for like £700.

So yea, if you're looking for quality reference grade headphones, at an affordable price and with a built in mic, I definitely recommend the AKG K551's. At least the new version anyway.

Top Bottom