• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Halogaf Community Thread: The Old Becomes New

Havoc2049

I mean it's possible. I'm just skeptical when it comes to 343's ability to write badass characters. I can't really think of a single one...
So your saying that I'm being too optimistic when I picture a cool PVP hub area aboard let's say the USS Infinity, where there is one spartan in charge of arena style combat, another in charge of BTB and another in charge of Firefight? And all these Spartans have cool back stories and are likeable characters. 🤣

I mean it's possible. I'm just skeptical when it comes to 343's ability to write badass characters. I can't really think of a single one...
There has been some solid ones

Thorne
Glassman
Lasky
Roland
Atriox
Cutter
Anders
Halsey and Librarian have been great under 343.
Even Warden was cool in cutscenes and design (not the gameplay repetition though)

Last edited:

Thorne
Glassman
Lasky
Roland
Atriox
Cutter
Anders
Halsey and Librarian have been great under 343.
Even Warden was cool in cutscenes and design (not the gameplay repetition though)
I enjoyed Halsey and the Librarian in H4. Actually I liked Lasky and Roland too.

Yeah what is up with getting a $15 gift card haha. And the blue armor pattern is nice but not omg I must have this collecters edition worthy. They should do some quick brain storming and come up with something a little better than that fast.

Thing is, even though most (all?) Halo games have had shitshow dev cycles, Bungie demonstrated they were somehow able to brute force good games together despite it. 343... hasn't really done that. 4/5 got mixed reception at best, unlike the OT which were almost universally loved.

IDK. Think I've said this before but I'm just at the point now where whatever gets released this holiday, I just hope Staten will be able to salvage it like they did with the MCC.
One thing I'll say with 343, they usually get half the game to be really great. For Halo 4, I actually enjoyed the campaign. Halo 5 I really enjoyed the multiplayer. MCC was bad at first, but now I think the whole package is stellar and the additions were welcome. As for Halo Infinite, I really think they're trying to deliver what the fans want and I think they've got the aesthetic and the gameplay, the only thing we need them to pull off at this point is the story.

One thing I'll say with 343, they usually get half the game to be really great. For Halo 4, I actually enjoyed the campaign. Halo 5 I really enjoyed the multiplayer. MCC was bad at first, but now I think the whole package is stellar and the additions were welcome. As for Halo Infinite, I really think they're trying to deliver what the fans want and I think they've got the aesthetic and the gameplay, the only thing we need them to pull off at this point is the story.
This is basically where I am at. I enjoyed H4's campaign and there are times where the multiplayer really shines. H4 without Sprint and some of the other abilities would have been received not just well but extremely well. H5 multiplayer is a lot of fun and at least 343 fully committed to a new direction and didn't just hedge somewhere between classic and new. H5 campaign however was just bad and we shouldn't talk about it lol.

I know 343 has the ability to nail down good gameplay and even to tell a good story. I hope they can pull it off with Infinite.

I was playing some H2 anniversary and it's another game that feels so good. Was 343 behind that? Oh and while it is definitely not my favorite Halo by any stretch, I was enjoying some H3 too (not something you'll hear me say often). H3 plays so much slower than every other Halo imo but that also makes it less overwhelming when compared to H4 or H5. I was able to just focus on playing as opposed to trying to remember abilities and manage sprint.

Last edited:
This is basically where I am at. I enjoyed H4's campaign and there are times where the multiplayer really shines. H4 without Sprint and some of the other abilities would have been received not just well but extremely well. H5 multiplayer is a lot of fun and at least 343 fully committed to a new direction and didn't just hedge somewhere between classic and new. H5 campaign however was just bad and we shouldn't talk about it lol.

I know 343 has the ability to nail down good gameplay and even to tell a good story. I hope they can pull it off with Infinite.

I was playing some H2 anniversary and it's another game that feels so good. Was 343 behind that? Oh and while it is definitely not my favorite Halo by any stretch, I was enjoying some H3 too (not something you'll hear me say often). H3 plays so much slower than every other Halo imo but that also makes it less overwhelming when compared to H4 or H5. I was able to just focus on playing as opposed to trying to remember abilities and manage sprint.
I really think that joseph Staten had 343 rework some things and hopefully brought more charm back into the series, which could be the reason for them putting their noses back to the grindstone. I also think that he may have had the art team get back to work and add detail and nuances to the world. Judging by how the Insider Preview looked, a lot of work was done in the art department.

As for Halo 3, I'll agree. It was one of my favorite Halo Campaigns but the movement and weapons didn't have the right feeling to them, especially the BR. Reach fixed a lot of the weapon and movement issues, but added armor lock. fucking. armor. lock.

Dayum. Hard to disagree with what they say in this article.

I also find this quote interesting: "We also understand Halo Infinite underwent significant behind-the-scenes changes following the departure of former director, Chris Lee, with Halo veteran Joseph Staten taking the wheel." I wonder if WC knows something, I know they do get Xbox info sometimes.

Last edited:
Dayum. Hard to disagree with what they say in this article.

I also find this quote interesting: "We also understand Halo Infinite underwent significant behind-the-scenes changes following the departure of former director, Chris Lee, with Halo veteran Joseph Staten taking the wheel." I wonder if WC knows something, I know they do get Xbox info sometimes.

One thing I would say in 343's defense, even though I guess it's more of a concession, is that 343 , however long it takes to get it done, has gotten it done every game. What I mean by that is every game they have shipped has had issues or missing features, but in the end they fulfilled every checklist item that was supposed to be in the game. They don't have a history of saying they'll eventually add something and then decide not to do it after the fact. That might not mean much to some, but I think it is worth keeping in mind.

The article is focusing on the fact that we haven't seen anything yet to warrant purchasing the campaign. But that isn't true. We've seen footage of Halo Zeta from one of the prior E3's and obviously we've seen the footage of the campaign from last year. Knowing that they're working on the game to release a better quality product gives me a lot less reason for concern when it comes to purchasing the game. It goes back to an earlier point I had that the delay is an extremely good thing. It means they're fixing the game hooray! If it weren't for Joseph Staten Halo Infinite might have already released, and there is a good chance that game would have been less than stellar.

Ultimately, if no additional campaign footage is shown before release than I can see people siding with the article, but 343 themselves have said we are going to get footage soon enough. I guess for me it's a nothing burger at this point. As a die hard halo fan I'm going to play through the campaign. And for those on the fence game pass is a perfect alternative.

I copy pasted a lot of stuff (mostly about bots but also some Infinite development questions), but in total it is probably just half, maybe a little more of the article - Joseph Staten at the bottom with his explanation of the delay and lack of campaign footage:

Player feedback is a critical element of our process – and, during the Tech Preview we had a solid amount of it. What are some of the bigger items the Multiplayer Team is working on now as a result of that?

Andrew Witts:
One area of focus for me lately has been on analyzing player sentiment around what we’ve been calling the “Combat Sensor” or as everyone has been calling it, “Radar”. We knew that the implementation we had for the Tech Preview was going to feel different, maybe even a little contentious, which is why we wanted to get feedback on it as soon as possible. We’ve heard all the feedback and we have a new iteration that will be in the next preview which will be more in-line with players’ expectations.

Alex Bean:
There was a healthy mixture of known bugs going into the flight and new surprises – the Match Intro camera operator had many 1,000 lbs. Spartans tumble in their direction. We’re actively trying to polish up those Match Flow issues. And while our Medal animations weren’t playing correctly in the Tech Preview, sentiment on Medal visuals has been heard and our UI team is investigating addressing some of that feedback. Lastly, it was helpful to see what resonated most with our players to inform areas of growth as we look beyond launch.

What are some of your favorite parts of Halo Infinite’s Multiplayer? Anything that’s caught you off guard, personally?

Tom French:
I love how the game feels classic and modern at the same time. In a way it’s the fantasy of what you remember playing back in the day. You pick up the controller and the gameplay feels like getting to know an old friend again; they’ve changed and grown but the core of who they are is still there. The gameplay is very much indexing on classic Halo tropes of fair starts and map control, but with new twists and enhancements to make it feel more modern. You can Scan to find weapon locations, you can Mark enemies, weapons, etc., for teammates, and the world of the Player Spartan feels more cohesive in the larger Halo universe.

Andrew Witts: I have a lot of favorite things in Halo MP! I think what I’m most happy with is how everything feels authentically Halo. We spent a lot of time trying to really hone our features to meet player expectations not just in terms of their output gameplay-wise but also fantasy-wise. Everything must own up to the razor of “Is this Halo enough?” Using this razor helped us not only differentiate what makes Halo MP different from other free to play games but also own up to what our existing player-base expects from us.

David Ellis: I would regret it if I didn’t take this opportunity to give a shout out to the team responsible for bringing our vehicles to life in Halo Infinite. Nothing is more quintessentially Halo to me, than battling across of map when a buddy skids to a stop alongside and honks their horn for you to jump into their Warthog. There’s no way to predict the outcome in most Halo skirmishes, but if you’re in a Warthog there’s a very good chance cheers and/or laughter will ensue.

Patrick Wren: I love how we built our systems so we can really fine-tune and expand each experience. We can have a very tightly tuned competitive experience and have a much more dynamic experience in BTB. It makes me excited for the future and what the community does with these systems in Custom Games.

Bots currently come in four flavors based on their inherent skill. Can you talk us through each and what the general differences and expectations are for each?

Sara Stern:
We’ll have four Bot difficulties at launch: Recruit, Marine, ODST, and Spartan. Each of the difficulties is loosely modeled after the different skill levels a player reaches as they get better at playing Halo. You can’t really focus on how to strafe well if you’re still learning how to throw a grenade, and we put similar limitations on what each difficulty can do.

Recruit level Bots are the least challenging experience – they know how to perform each combat action, but they don’t react quickly in a firefight. Marine Bots are like players who are comfortable playing Halo, but they haven’t quite figured out the best way to strafe yet. ODST Bots are competent players that react well to player movement and know how to use equipment more aggressively. While this wasn’t enabled in the Technical Preview build, we’re experimenting with allowing Spartan Bots to communicate with one another about certain gameplay events (such as the location of enemy players).

The intent is that if you work up through each of the difficulties and feel comfortable against Spartan Bots, you’ll be able to hold your own against players in regular matchmaking. We’ll continue to iterate on the challenge and tuning of each difficulty as we get more player feedback. We may also introduce new levels of difficulty over time based on what players are interested in seeing from the Bots.

While they certainly still had their quirks, how did the team get them to feel like actual players?

Ilana Franklin
: A big part of getting them to feel like actual players was the combat dance. Their combat movement is modelled after some very high skill players in the studio. Lower difficulty Bots focus on strafing, medium difficulties can jump but won’t crouch as often, higher skilled Bots can do both. Sara has done a lot of tuning to get that balance feeling right, resulting in the Bot combat dance which we affectionately refer to as the "Razzle Dazzle." Ultimately though, a lot of that human feel comes down to little behaviors that are more subtle. When you try to disengage from a Bot, they'll remember where they last saw you and try to hunt you down. When they have the Grappleshot, they'll look for openings to zip in for a melee attack, especially if they're holding a good close-range weapon. Higher level Bots will look for opportunities to backsmack if you're facing away from them. All those small details, along with many others, come together to make Bots play dynamically and make decisions like humans do.

Hollis Lehv: Bots will make different decisions depending on the situation they are in. This gives the impression that they are weighing the pros and cons of, for instance, continuing to fight or backing down, just like a human would. This also makes them more difficult to predict. Bots will also use equipment in similar ways to a player. For example, they’ll hold onto the Overshield until they see a player to fight against. The Bot names also make them feel like real people with distinct personalities.

Mq6pNLp.png

Joseph Staten:

I’m currently streaking through the lower stratosphere, on a late-night flight back to Seattle from Los Angeles, having just finished representing the great work of the whole Halo Infinite team on the Gamescom: Opening Night Live broadcast. It feels terrific to finally reveal our launch date, and we hope you enjoyed meeting Commander Agryna, who you’ll be getting to know much better as we start unspooling the Season-to-Season story of Halo Infinite Multiplayer.

Before boarding my flight, I had a chance to read some of the commentary online, and I definitely hear the disappointment about not seeing Campaign gameplay on the broadcast. So, I wanted to take this opportunity to: (1) shed light on why we chose not to show Campaign right now and (2) assuage your concerns about where Campaign is at this point in the production process.

As I mentioned in last week’s Development Update, the whole Halo Infinite team is in shutdown mode. This means we’re done with feature work and focused on crushing high-priority bugs. We’re spending lots of time playing the game, verifying fixes, and generally doing all we can to ensure Campaign (and Multiplayer!) plays great on all platforms—from an original, 8-year-old Xbox One to a brand new, ultra-spec PC. This is a very challenging task, even for a large and experienced team.

In many ways, shutting down a game is like being on final approach to landing an airplane. And if you’ll forgive a bit of aviation-geekery, the entirety of the team is essentially in a “sterile cockpit,” which is to say: we’re at a critical phase in the flight that is Halo Infinite, so it’s extremely important to avoid distractions and stay focused on mission-critical tasks only. For Campaign, that means putting maximum effort into ensuring the wide-open, adventure-filled experience you’ll all get to play on December 8th is a great as it can possibly be. And gameplay demos and trailers not only take a huge amount of effort to do well, they also take cycles away from bugs and other shutdown tasks.

I would like to share, however, that right before I left for Los Angeles, I had to pause a full playthrough of Campaign that I started late last week. I’m going for a 100% run, which means completing all primary and secondary missions, finding all collectibles etc. I’ve played Infinite’s Campaign multiple times. But every time I do, I always find something new, tucked away on Zeta Halo. Sometimes these are quiet little bits of environmental storytelling, such as an abandoned but desperately defended Marine recon post, high on a lonely mountainside (fortunately, the Banished missed the fully loaded S7 sniper rifle that the Marines left behind). Sometimes these are combat encounters with deviously polished scripting, for example: a UNSC forward operating base that seemed abandoned… until I heard the laughter and taunts of multiple, energy sword-wielding and cloaked Elites, as I stumbled into their trap.

I hope all of you take comfort from the fact that, honestly, I can’t wait to get back home, fire up the build, and hit “Continue” on the Campaign. No matter how many times I play, Halo Infinite remains, fundamentally, super fun to play—and we’re very eager to share all the fun with you through captured gameplay, trailers, and other content once we get this plane safely on the ground. But for now, it’s focus-time in the cockpit as we stick the landing. Please, keep those seatbelts fastened, and thank you for your patience and support.

-Joseph Staten, Head of Creative for Halo Infinite

Last edited:

stickkidsam

So your saying that I'm being too optimistic when I picture a cool PVP hub area aboard let's say the USS Infinity, where there is one spartan in charge of arena style combat, another in charge of BTB and another in charge of Firefight? And all these Spartans have cool back stories and are likeable characters. 🤣
lol I'd be so happy if we could get a hub like that. Being able to hang with friends and just look at people's armor would really improve the customization imo. It's a lot of fun just being able to chill in Destiny's hubs. Or any hub really. Hell, like ya said it'd also be a chance to see these new characters and give them some life.

There's some good characters there. Hell, Atriox is menacing and the rest of the Halo Wars crew are badass in their own right too. They weren't developed by 343 though. Lasky, Thorne, Glassman, Roland, Halsey, and the Librarian are likeable enough. I really like Lasky and Roland. Can't believe I forgot about Thorne lol

Whenever 343 tries to make an iconic "badass" though it falls flat. Look at Locke (face of Halo 5), Sarah "I thought you'd be taller" Palmer (stand in for Johnson and voice for Warzone), and now we've got Loretta who is... fine. It's not that she's bad but again, who the fuck is she? Why is she being pushed so hard in marketing? It just feels unearned.

lmao baby fucking blue. Amazing.

And a $15 gift card that basically says “We know this game shouldn’t be $60 so here’s some of that back.”

No special features, no behind the scenes videos, no special themes, no art book, not even a neat little history booklet… and no legendary edition in sight. Man. It's sad because I feel like any Behind the Scenes stuff would be overly produced lens flares where the employees almost feel like they’re reading a script. Is it just me? I feel like those old Bungie videos left ya feeling like a part of the team. Like you were being let in to the rest process rather than being advertised at. It felt like those legendary editions were an ESSENTIAL grab for anyone who loved Halo. I just don't feel that here.

Whenever 343 tries to make an iconic "badass" though it falls flat. Look at Locke (face of Halo 5), Sarah "I thought you'd be taller" Palmer (stand in for Johnson and voice for Warzone), and now we've got Loretta who is... fine. It's not that she's bad but again, who the fuck is she? Why is she being pushed so hard in marketing? It just feels unearned.

Totally agree with the cornerstone characters you mention there. Locke was the most derivative drivel, they wanted to mimic Chief and gave him zero personality. Palmer is just annoying and comes off conceited without any of the actual work put in front of us to make her likeable. Nightfall was boooooring, what a waste. Time will tell on Loretta, willing to give it a shot but first impression has me thinking, oh a chick Johnson. Just what Halo needed, more chicks, like didn't we just introduce a massive diverse cast in Halo 5 or Linda and Kelly from blue team being favs all along. It just feels forced or deliberate rather than "natural feeling" characters like Chief, Halsey and Cortana.

YukiOnna

I copy pasted a lot of stuff (mostly about bots but also some Infinite development questions), but in total it is probably just half, maybe a little more of the article - Joseph Staten at the bottom with his explanation of the delay and lack of campaign footage:

Player feedback is a critical element of our process – and, during the Tech Preview we had a solid amount of it. What are some of the bigger items the Multiplayer Team is working on now as a result of that?

Andrew Witts:
One area of focus for me lately has been on analyzing player sentiment around what we’ve been calling the “Combat Sensor” or as everyone has been calling it, “Radar”. We knew that the implementation we had for the Tech Preview was going to feel different, maybe even a little contentious, which is why we wanted to get feedback on it as soon as possible. We’ve heard all the feedback and we have a new iteration that will be in the next preview which will be more in-line with players’ expectations.

Alex Bean:
There was a healthy mixture of known bugs going into the flight and new surprises – the Match Intro camera operator had many 1,000 lbs. Spartans tumble in their direction. We’re actively trying to polish up those Match Flow issues. And while our Medal animations weren’t playing correctly in the Tech Preview, sentiment on Medal visuals has been heard and our UI team is investigating addressing some of that feedback. Lastly, it was helpful to see what resonated most with our players to inform areas of growth as we look beyond launch.

What are some of your favorite parts of Halo Infinite’s Multiplayer? Anything that’s caught you off guard, personally?

Tom French:
I love how the game feels classic and modern at the same time. In a way it’s the fantasy of what you remember playing back in the day. You pick up the controller and the gameplay feels like getting to know an old friend again; they’ve changed and grown but the core of who they are is still there. The gameplay is very much indexing on classic Halo tropes of fair starts and map control, but with new twists and enhancements to make it feel more modern. You can Scan to find weapon locations, you can Mark enemies, weapons, etc., for teammates, and the world of the Player Spartan feels more cohesive in the larger Halo universe.

Andrew Witts: I have a lot of favorite things in Halo MP! I think what I’m most happy with is how everything feels authentically Halo. We spent a lot of time trying to really hone our features to meet player expectations not just in terms of their output gameplay-wise but also fantasy-wise. Everything must own up to the razor of “Is this Halo enough?” Using this razor helped us not only differentiate what makes Halo MP different from other free to play games but also own up to what our existing player-base expects from us.

David Ellis: I would regret it if I didn’t take this opportunity to give a shout out to the team responsible for bringing our vehicles to life in Halo Infinite. Nothing is more quintessentially Halo to me, than battling across of map when a buddy skids to a stop alongside and honks their horn for you to jump into their Warthog. There’s no way to predict the outcome in most Halo skirmishes, but if you’re in a Warthog there’s a very good chance cheers and/or laughter will ensue.

Patrick Wren: I love how we built our systems so we can really fine-tune and expand each experience. We can have a very tightly tuned competitive experience and have a much more dynamic experience in BTB. It makes me excited for the future and what the community does with these systems in Custom Games.

Bots currently come in four flavors based on their inherent skill. Can you talk us through each and what the general differences and expectations are for each?

Sara Stern:
We’ll have four Bot difficulties at launch: Recruit, Marine, ODST, and Spartan. Each of the difficulties is loosely modeled after the different skill levels a player reaches as they get better at playing Halo. You can’t really focus on how to strafe well if you’re still learning how to throw a grenade, and we put similar limitations on what each difficulty can do.

Recruit level Bots are the least challenging experience – they know how to perform each combat action, but they don’t react quickly in a firefight. Marine Bots are like players who are comfortable playing Halo, but they haven’t quite figured out the best way to strafe yet. ODST Bots are competent players that react well to player movement and know how to use equipment more aggressively. While this wasn’t enabled in the Technical Preview build, we’re experimenting with allowing Spartan Bots to communicate with one another about certain gameplay events (such as the location of enemy players).

The intent is that if you work up through each of the difficulties and feel comfortable against Spartan Bots, you’ll be able to hold your own against players in regular matchmaking. We’ll continue to iterate on the challenge and tuning of each difficulty as we get more player feedback. We may also introduce new levels of difficulty over time based on what players are interested in seeing from the Bots.

While they certainly still had their quirks, how did the team get them to feel like actual players?

Ilana Franklin
: A big part of getting them to feel like actual players was the combat dance. Their combat movement is modelled after some very high skill players in the studio. Lower difficulty Bots focus on strafing, medium difficulties can jump but won’t crouch as often, higher skilled Bots can do both. Sara has done a lot of tuning to get that balance feeling right, resulting in the Bot combat dance which we affectionately refer to as the "Razzle Dazzle." Ultimately though, a lot of that human feel comes down to little behaviors that are more subtle. When you try to disengage from a Bot, they'll remember where they last saw you and try to hunt you down. When they have the Grappleshot, they'll look for openings to zip in for a melee attack, especially if they're holding a good close-range weapon. Higher level Bots will look for opportunities to backsmack if you're facing away from them. All those small details, along with many others, come together to make Bots play dynamically and make decisions like humans do.

Hollis Lehv: Bots will make different decisions depending on the situation they are in. This gives the impression that they are weighing the pros and cons of, for instance, continuing to fight or backing down, just like a human would. This also makes them more difficult to predict. Bots will also use equipment in similar ways to a player. For example, they’ll hold onto the Overshield until they see a player to fight against. The Bot names also make them feel like real people with distinct personalities.

Mq6pNLp.png

Joseph Staten:

I’m currently streaking through the lower stratosphere, on a late-night flight back to Seattle from Los Angeles, having just finished representing the great work of the whole Halo Infinite team on the Gamescom: Opening Night Live broadcast. It feels terrific to finally reveal our launch date, and we hope you enjoyed meeting Commander Agryna, who you’ll be getting to know much better as we start unspooling the Season-to-Season story of Halo Infinite Multiplayer.

Before boarding my flight, I had a chance to read some of the commentary online, and I definitely hear the disappointment about not seeing Campaign gameplay on the broadcast. So, I wanted to take this opportunity to: (1) shed light on why we chose not to show Campaign right now and (2) assuage your concerns about where Campaign is at this point in the production process.

As I mentioned in last week’s Development Update, the whole Halo Infinite team is in shutdown mode. This means we’re done with feature work and focused on crushing high-priority bugs. We’re spending lots of time playing the game, verifying fixes, and generally doing all we can to ensure Campaign (and Multiplayer!) plays great on all platforms—from an original, 8-year-old Xbox One to a brand new, ultra-spec PC. This is a very challenging task, even for a large and experienced team.

In many ways, shutting down a game is like being on final approach to landing an airplane. And if you’ll forgive a bit of aviation-geekery, the entirety of the team is essentially in a “sterile cockpit,” which is to say: we’re at a critical phase in the flight that is Halo Infinite, so it’s extremely important to avoid distractions and stay focused on mission-critical tasks only. For Campaign, that means putting maximum effort into ensuring the wide-open, adventure-filled experience you’ll all get to play on December 8th is a great as it can possibly be. And gameplay demos and trailers not only take a huge amount of effort to do well, they also take cycles away from bugs and other shutdown tasks.

I would like to share, however, that right before I left for Los Angeles, I had to pause a full playthrough of Campaign that I started late last week. I’m going for a 100% run, which means completing all primary and secondary missions, finding all collectibles etc. I’ve played Infinite’s Campaign multiple times. But every time I do, I always find something new, tucked away on Zeta Halo. Sometimes these are quiet little bits of environmental storytelling, such as an abandoned but desperately defended Marine recon post, high on a lonely mountainside (fortunately, the Banished missed the fully loaded S7 sniper rifle that the Marines left behind). Sometimes these are combat encounters with deviously polished scripting, for example: a UNSC forward operating base that seemed abandoned… until I heard the laughter and taunts of multiple, energy sword-wielding and cloaked Elites, as I stumbled into their trap.

I hope all of you take comfort from the fact that, honestly, I can’t wait to get back home, fire up the build, and hit “Continue” on the Campaign. No matter how many times I play, Halo Infinite remains, fundamentally, super fun to play—and we’re very eager to share all the fun with you through captured gameplay, trailers, and other content once we get this plane safely on the ground. But for now, it’s focus-time in the cockpit as we stick the landing. Please, keep those seatbelts fastened, and thank you for your patience and support.

-Joseph Staten, Head of Creative for Halo Infinite

I guess with them getting a year delay and all the restructuring of the game, they didn't have much time to devote to showing off campaign, etc. Still think they could have been better about it, but hopefully his last paragraph means we're getting footage soon.

I guess with them getting a year delay and all the restructuring of the game, they didn't have much time to devote to showing off campaign, etc. Still think they could have been better about it, but hopefully his last paragraph means we're getting footage soon.
Oh yeah for sure. Most people are at an I'll believe it when i see it point. But when he says he is looking forward to going back and playing some more campaign it gets my hopes up again lol.

Havoc2049

That Joe Staten post was great! He gives me confidence that everything will turn out great. It also helps that he left late in the dev cycle for Destiny, which is a large open world FPS, so he has experience in the genre with a successful IP.

Last edited:
That Joe Staten post was great! He gives me confidence that everything will turn out great. It also helps that he left late in the dev cycle for Destiny, which is a large open world FPS, so he has experience in the genre with a successful IP.
This is true. I hadn't thought about his experience with Destiny. I would like to know the backstory on what caused him to come back over to help 343. I mean I know Halo is kind of his baby. Either way it's great having him around.

I love Staten, but I find his explanation there a bit bloated and dubious. This "shutdown mode" thing - is that something every dev does? How are they able to get demos out for their games if so?

To me, his explanation essentially boils down to "We're still working on it, the game is going to come in hot, and it's hard as fuck getting it to run on all these platforms." Personally I still think they should've cut out the last gen versions and just made it a next gen exclusive.

I love Staten, but I find his explanation there a bit bloated and dubious. This "shutdown mode" thing - is that something every dev does? How are they able to get demos out for their games if so?

To me, his explanation essentially boils down to "We're still working on it, the game is going to come in hot, and it's hard as fuck getting it to run on all these platforms." Personally I still think they should've cut out the last gen versions and just made it a next gen exclusive.
That’s like missing out on 40million potential sales.

Last edited:

Jebron

So is there a standard XP system to work through ranks like Halo 5, or ONLY challenges to work through a battle pass? If the game has absolutely no progression system and it's only the battle pass with challenges, a lot of people will be upset.

That’s like missing out on 40million potential sales.
That didn't seem to be a concern when they cut off the 360 and moved on to Xbox One only exclusives. I say the same thing about what Sony's doing with the cross gen stuff now.

I do feel (or maybe just hope) that eventually they'll cut off last-gen support and move entirely to Series consoles (and PC) only.
So is there a standard XP system to work through ranks like Halo 5, or ONLY challenges to work through a battle pass? If the game has absolutely no progression system and it's only the battle pass with challenges, a lot of people will be upset.
Sounds like it's only battle pass challenges, and yes people are already upset lol. They really need to start drumming up some good PR for this game because right now it feels like every announcement is 1 step forward 3 steps back.

Havoc2049

All they need to do is keep the Halo MCC form of XP ranking and Battlepass progression and I'll be happy.

It's been forever and a day since I played Halo 5, so I'm not sure what is going on with their progression system.

All they need to do is keep the Halo MCC form of XP ranking and Battlepass progression and I'll be happy.

It's been forever and a day since I played Halo 5, so I'm not sure what is going on with their progression system.
This would be great but only if they keep giving a point for each each new level. I hate that TMCC shuts the points off after so many levels. I enjoy doing challenges on occasion but really don't want to feel obligated to do them either.

That didn't seem to be a concern when they cut off the 360 and moved on to Xbox One only exclusives. I say the same thing about what Sony's doing with the cross gen stuff now.
Technically Halo Infinite was supposed to release last year, which would have been within 1 month of the release of XSX. Now, we're not even a year in and you're saying we should drop support with limited stock of XSX due to a pandemic and scalpers. Halo 5 came out 2 years after Xbox One shipped. C'mon man.

Last edited:
Technically Halo Infinite was supposed to release last year, which would have been within 1 month of the release of XSX. Now, we're not even a year in and you're saying we should drop support with limited stock of XSX due to a pandemic and scalpers. Halo 5 came out 2 years after Xbox One shipped. C'mon man.
I get the reasons for it, I'm just saying I think the game's development would've had an easier time if they were focusing on less platforms (and Staten's thing seemed to be implying that).

Or maybe not. Maybe it all does just come down to the leadership/talent or lack thereof at 343. After all, Coalition was able to get Gears 4/5 running beautifully on last gen systems seemingly without much problem, same goes for id with both Doom games (weren't part of MS at the time, but still).

Last edited:
A) I wanna know exactly how far along they had come in the game's development before deciding to redo the game engine. Or was the game engine the very first thing they did?

B) It would be nice to know what went on behind the scenes with management when Chris Lee stepped down. Was that the same time as when Joseph Staten arrived or was he after/later?

C) Once Staten did come along how much of the game did he basically think needed to be scrapped or redone?

All three of those things likely had big impacts to development. In hindsight it's not really that difficult to see why 343 delayed when they did and also why some features won't be ready at launch. I'm neither mad or happy but I'm glad 343 is working on a game more aligned with what a lot of Halo fans probably want.

Last edited:
I know a lot of people here hate Jason Schreier (and I'm not a big fan either) but it'll certainly be interesting to see what he says about this game when he releases his big story. He's apparently been working on it for a long time.

So uh... out of nowhere it looks like they've announced fucking Flood Firefight for MCC, amongst a bunch of other shit.

awS5IIM.jpg

I kind of wish they'd put the guys working on MCC on Infinite because they are doing an excellent job with this game.
Dang I'm slacking. Gonna go surf twitter right now for more deets.

Didn't see anything about flood but some new firefight customizations for TMCC.

Latest TMCC Update

Posted this just for the gif of MC dropping out of the sky.

Last edited:
ODST's campaign was also high quality and polished, justifying its pricetag in a lot of people's eyes - are we sure Infinite's is gonna be the same? ODST also didn't have a ton of problems behind the scenes like Infinite very clearly has.

I think people (not you, Moonman) should tread lightly with these flippant defenses because they could very, very easily wind up looking foolish in a few months if this game goes poorly. Obviously I hope that doesn't happen, but it's certainly a very real possibility at this stage.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Just waiting on the game and footage. No reddit post or anything is going to really sway my opinion since I need to play it for myself. Frankly, I do agree the concern posting is a bit ridiculous and stretching it at times.

Oh believe me, I'd be over the fucking moon if they had an awesome campaign gameplay vid at Gamescom that assuaged my fears. But unfortunately that didn't happen, and doesn't sound like it's going to for a while.

Certainly understand the people who just wanna wait and see more, nothing wrong with that at all. It's the ones who try and "own" people when they bring up worries that get under my skin sometimes.

Last edited:
ODST's campaign was also high quality and polished, justifying its pricetag in a lot of people's eyes - are we sure Infinite's is gonna be the same? ODST also didn't have a ton of problems behind the scenes like Infinite very clearly has.

I think people (not you, Moonman) should tread lightly with these flippant defenses because they could very, very easily wind up looking foolish in a few months if this game goes poorly. Obviously I hope that doesn't happen, but it's certainly a very real possibility at this stage.
All good. It's true that if the campaign ends up being really bad all the current people, myself included, trying to defend the game right now will have to eat a lot of crow. The other thing about ODST is that odst brought firefight and I think it had some new Halo 3 maps with it too. I just saw that posted on Twitter and thought it was an interesting comparison since Infinite campaign is being sold separately now. That Infinite campaign footage can't come soon enough.

Last edited:

Are you fuckin’ kidding me? Yes it will have the same amount polish. ODST also didn’t use a new game engine and is not the same scale as we are about to get with Infinite.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
I kind of wish they'd put the guys working on MCC on Infinite because they are doing an excellent job with this game.
The guy who was in charge of fixing MCC is in charge of the multiplayer for Infinite.
Pierre Hintze, the Head of our Publishing Team (MCC), will be joining the Halo Infinite team as a project lead for our Free-To-Play experience. He and his team have demonstrated an amazing ability to deliver new content, an excellent flighting program, and substantive updates across MCC over the past year. We look forward to having his expertise directly on the Halo Infinite team as we look to deliver a quality Free-To-Play multiplayer experience for everyone.

Also, I recall the game being $40.
Nah, it was $60 at launch. Bungie didn't wanna do it but MS forced them, so they included all the H3 multiplayer shit to add value.
Yes it will have the same amount polish.
I'll believe it when I see it.
The guy who was in charge of fixing MCC is in charge of the multiplayer for Infinite.
I forgot about that, that's good to hear. Aside from some little complaints here and there I enjoyed the multiplayer flight for the most part, so he seems to be doing a good job there too.

I must admit yet again that I really expected flights to occur more regularly or with greater frequency. Tomorrow will be one month from the technical preview (that was only 3 days)...

Sad Ncaa Basketball GIF by NCAA March Madness

Last edited:
I must admit yet again that I really expected flights to occur more regularly or with greater frequency. Tomorrow will be one month from the technical preview (that was only 3 days)...

Sad Ncaa Basketball GIF by NCAA March Madness
IDK if this is correct but I believe they said there's only gonna be 1 more flight before the game releases. I'd probably expect it either next month or October. They could do it in November but that'd be cutting it pretty damn close.

IDK if this is correct but I believe they said there's only gonna be 1 more flight before the game releases. I'd probably expect it either next month or October. They could do it in November but that'd be cutting it pretty damn close.
Aw that makes me sad if true. They could have allowed the first one to go a little longer than 3 days. I hope the 2nd one gives us a little more hands on time with it.

I hope they continue supporting MCC even after Infinite releases, like I said they're doing a fucking phenomenal job with it. If it had released the way it currently is now it would've EASILY been a 10/10 for me.

Top Bottom