• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump claims he will veto single payer bill if it crosses his desk.

studyguy

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/908413019050463232
Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump)
Bernie Sanders is pushing hard for a single payer healthcare plan - a curse on the U.S. & its people...

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/908413134196572161
Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump)
...I told Republicans to approve healthcare fast or this would happen. But don't worry, I will veto because I love our country & its people.

Happening now in response to the bill proposed yesterday. Regardless of where the bill actually goes, if anywhere, he's already staunchly against it.

Also while we're at it, he's on Air Force 1 right now with a press gaggle and that meeting with black Republican Tim Scott yesterday apparently led him back to 'both sides'
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/908411225943560193
Sahil Kapur (@sahilkapur)
Trump tells reporters on AF1 he and Tim Scott discussed white supremacists and “we have some pretty bad dudes on the other side as well.

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/908410471128223746
Sam Stein (@samstein)
Trump: "since Charlottesville, a lot of people are saying and people have actually written, ‘Gee, Trump may have a point.’"

Sou Da

Lmao what the fuck, something about him saying "I love America's people" really made me laugh in this context.

Bronx-Man

Banned
It's never coming to his desk. The whole point of this bill is to get all the Dems planning on running in 2020 a position to look Bernie voters in the eyes and say "Hey guys, I'm one of the good ones. I'm on your side."

Explain to me why so many people are against single payer?

195lqbnsc5ynbjpg.jpg

Boke1879

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/908413019050463232

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/908413134196572161

Happening now in response to the bill proposed yesterday. Regardless of where the bill actually goes, if anywhere, he's already staunchly against it.

Also while we're at it, he's on Air Force 1 right now with a press gaggle and that meeting with black Republican Tim Scott yesterday apparently led him back to 'both sides'
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/908411225943560193

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/908410471128223746

This bitch!

Trump is going to be goldmine for quotes today and tomorrow. He got so much pushback from his base on DACA that he's going to say a bunch of shit to appeal to them.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I love the people so much, I will make sure they will die due to lack of healthcare.

Bernie hasn't sucked up to him or kissed his ass out at dinner

He also didn't call it Trumpcare

Trump would probably change is his mind if both these things happened

I think its because of three reasons, mainly:

Money. IIRC Drug industry contributed more than any other industry in the 2016 election (either way, it was a ton). You need your donors to survive.

Its hard to implement because the US economy has sizable blocks dedicated to just how terrible the current system is. You cant just pull the rug.

Think it's communism and they will die (literally) before they let it spread.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

95% of Americans have no idea what it means, and believe their elected officials when they hear meaningless shit like, "more government interference in your health care" and "The American healthcare system is the best in the world (it's not)"

Leatherface

One cost estimate was like $32 trillion to implement it, so theres that

Okay so what do most people and businesses pay for medical insurance per week now through our place of employment? Take that amount and apply it to the total amount that comes out in taxes instead. I mean many of us pay into this already surely that would offset this cost somewhat, no?!

kirblar

Because replacing the exiting American US healthcare system w/ it would have a lot of expensive, painful complications and moving to a universal healthcare system based on countries using a multi-payer system would avoid many of those issues.

Swiggins

I don't think Trump understands that his veto can be overruled

There's no way in hell he even gets a chance to veto it. No Republican will vote for this and neither will 2/3rds of the Democrats.

Frankly, as hard as I've championed single payer healthcare, I wouldn't vote for it. The outlawing of private insurance is for lack of a better term...fucking crazy. You eliminate a major sector of the economy overnight.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
didnt he just say a few months ago that Australia had better healtcare than we do?

Maybe this will put an end to the GAF peanut gallery political analysis that believes Trump secretly supports single-payer and will sign it the minute Sanders mobilizes his ten million college students to march outside McConnell and Ryan's offices.

Draft

Literally cannot let anything go. He will relitigate the Charlotessville speech until the end of his presidency.

Bleepey

He suppported single payer when he ran for President in 2000.

Heathcare
“I’m a conservative on most issues but a liberal on this one,” Trump insists. “We should not hear so many stories of families ruined by health-care expenses.”

That assessment is largely accurate. While Trump pushes the unfettered free market as a solution for most problems, he was open to more government-intermediated solutions when it comes to healthcare—including giving serious consideration to a Canadian-style single-payer model.

However, his first goal in reforming American healthcare is to decouple it from employment.

We need a change in the tax code that would give groups and individuals tax breaks for health insurance that are equivalent to those that corporations now receive. This would allow ordinary citizens to buy coverage that compliments their company policy and gives them more of what they need. It would also give them the option to jettison the company policy altogether and just buy their own insurance.
He would combine that with giving families refundable tax credits to cover the cost of insurance plans based on their household income. He also proposed something that looks a lot like the government-run exchanges that sit at the heart of the Affordable Care Act.

Some analysts are pushing the idea of health marts, which would treat private-sector employees much like public-sector people. Health marts would create a group of approved plans for employees or independents to select from. This would give them control over their health care decisions.

https://www.dailydot.com/layer8/donald-trump-the-america-we-deserve/

Not

Banned
This fucking guy. Him and his base are going to be trying to hold back the tide so desperately and pathetically

Sorry bro but Millennials aren't going anywhere. Single-payer is coming. Adapt or fail.

Reading about anything Trump says and does fucks with my anxiety and depression in a way that no other politician has.

How did we get here?

Comparing healthcare systems to those in other countries is a futile exercise. You wouldn't even be comparing apples and oranges.

The argument should be framed around not whether single payer is better for this country but whether we can break the foundation of the pharmacy industry and lobbyists and replace with SP and do so without negative long lasting effects such as rising prices.

This isn't about what Australia can or can't do or whether American's "deserve" healthcare. Like, at all.

Sephzilla

There's no way in hell he even gets a chance to veto it. No Republican will vote for this and neither will 2/3rds of the Democrats.

Frankly, as hard as I've championed single payer healthcare, I wouldn't vote for it. The outlawing of private insurance is for lack of a better term...fucking crazy. You eliminate a major sector of the economy overnight.

The private insurance world is fucking horrible, so I wouldn't shed a tear

Zubz

Banned
It's never going to make it that far, but I want him to break the illusion he knows how money works. I want to know his reasoning.

Not

Banned

Who the fuck cares. Does no one in our damn "small government" actually care about what the fuck a free market is supposed to be?

Everyone gets the right to stay alive. Businesses that profit off of people being sick and dying can fall off an endless cliff. Trust me, the economy's been damaged by worse.

subrock

If this dildo wants a win he should be doing things like single payer. Imagine his legacy if he actually got it done

Something something tyranny.

Oh, and in the U.S.'s case, your health care sector is so uniquely fucked that single-payer may actually be impossible to pay for unless you gradually restructure health care over decades, but that's sort of a fringe case.

Sephzilla

If this dildo wants a win he should be doing things like single payer. Imagine his legacy if he actually got it done

See, if I was a politician this is exactly what I would do - play into his ego.

"Donnie, if you sign this bill you will go down as the man who freed the country from the clutches of greedy insurance corporations. You will be remembered as the man who made America healthy again and helped lift financial burdens from millions... of registered voters"

kRgAY7M.gif

y2dvd

Even if SP had a hypothetical chance of passing atm, I'm convinced a vast amount on the left doesn't even want it.

Top Bottom