• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump claims he will veto single payer bill if it crosses his desk.

In my ideal world a shift to single payer would come with some big regulations to almost force the loss of premiums straight onto workers' paychecks.

Businesses would have to shoulder the largest burden to pay for something like this. That is certain, but then again they do this already so it wouldn't be that big of a change.

gcubed

What about people without jobs? What if you lose your job tomorrow and get sick? (hypothetically)

Americans have never been on the greater good train towards other citizens of government services. We also don't think beyond today.

So for a majority of working Americans with benefits you are selling paying more for getting less to help the common man or help them when they may not have a job... see above paragraph

Protein

Banned
195lqbnsc5ynbjpg.jpg
A black man being beat, a woman being choked, and police brutality. The message I'm seeing is that America has been communist all along?

Fuck off for a second I thought maybe he was changed without Bannim and meeting Pelosi, fuck you.

Also people forget you will get sick one day, you will need care, and you might have to pay more now but when you get actual sick and your first bill comes...man fuck this system.

Bernie shoulda been president.

FStubbs

This fucking guy. Him and his base are going to be trying to hold back the tide so desperately and pathetically

Sorry bro but Millennials aren't going anywhere. Single-payer is coming. Adapt or fail.

A lot of his base (the alt right) are Millenials though. This isn't easy.

ascii42

The private insurance world is fucking horrible, so I wouldn't shed a tear

That's got to be in the hundreds of thousands of people, if not millions.

I think it'd be best to have a gradual change. Add a public option to the marketplace, and reduce the age of medicare eligibility over time.

Taramoor

Trump: "since Charlottesville, a lot of people are saying and people have actually written, ‘Gee, Trump may have a point.’"

God, he always does this shit and it's the most infuriating thing.

Every single time he says anything the next day or week he does the "Well a lot of people have come around to realize I'm right". Like he's such a narcissist that he's not just one of those guys who has to be right all the time, but he has to be the only one who was ever right.

Only way to pay for it is with very significant tax increases for everyone. At least that seems like the only way it can be paid for.

Well now, that depends. What is the total spent per person in terms of healthcare now versus under the plan? And that includes the part of your salary that your company spends on healthcare for you instead of just giving you the money, as well as what you pay for medicare, tricare, medicaid, etc.

Madness

Explain to me why so many people are against single payer?

Unlike other smaller and homogenous nations, America is very divided regionally, racially etc. The cost of single payer healthcare is massive but the reality is that someone in Texas does not want to pay for healthcare for someone in Oregon who does not want to pay for someone in South Carolina who does not want to pay for someonen in California etc. There is a very NIMBY/fuck you I got mine mindset in a lot of Americans. They don't see people as Americans or see the country nationally. Additionally, with a staggering illegal immigrant population, wealth inequality, they see it is providing 'welfare' to those who don't deserve it.

Ultimately single payer means more people will have access to cheaper and affordable healthcare. But if you already have good healthcare why would you want more taxes so someome who doesn't has better access. The classism exists in the US to a large degree. Look at the sheer resistance to any form of social welfare. Billions will be spent providing free arms to Israel but don't you dare improve the food stamp program.

Foffy

Banned
Would single payer be a deeper curse than Donald Trump being President?

Really?

Really?

Really?

Fuck off, Orange Con Man.

prophetvx

That figure was over 10 years. We spend roughly 3 trillion annually on healthcare.

It's still just as ridiculous at $10,000 per capita annually. Single payer is proven to reduce healthcare costs. The system is broken because you have insurance companies dictating services and cost, it's inefficient and extremely fragmented.

It will not double the cost of healthcare. There is a reason the USA has the most expensive healthcare in the world.

That's got to be in the hundreds of thousands of people, if not millions.

I think it'd be best to have a gradual change. Add a public option to the marketplace, and reduce the age of medicare eligibility over time.

Realistically this, and (for the love of god and yourself) some strong price controls are the way forward.

It's still just as ridiculous at $10,000 per capita annually. Single payer is proven to reduce healthcare costs. The system is broken because you have insurance companies dictating services and cost, it's inefficient and extremely fragmented.

It will not double the cost of healthcare. There is a reason the USA has the most expensive healthcare in the world.

Also factor in two parties are looking to profit off your sickness. Insurance and provider.

prophetvx

True, but no other country spends so much on lawyers or pays medics so much..

Medical professionals in the US earn pretty comparable wages to most countries such as UK and Australia, with the exception of states like California. Something like a heart transplant is 10 fold cheaper in countries that have single payer compared to the US. Even accounting for wages, the costs aren't even in the same ball park.

As for litigation, I imagine that is more common because you're at the mercy of private organizations to get health care, which often means cost cutting.

Amory

Also factor in two parties are looking to profit off your sickness. Insurance and provider.
Insurance wants people to be well. So they don't have to pay out as much.

Providers...idk what doctors you see, but ive never gotten the impression my doctor wants me to stay sick

It won't get that far, but I suspect any Republican president would do the same, especially if it was as laughable of a symbolic bill as the current one.
I hate how much our health care costs here, epically since I'm a consultant and pay my entire premium ($2800 a year... Yeesh). I want a better solution. Single payer is likely the way we get to more affordable Healthcare for all. All of that said, Bernie's bill is a non starter, even if the Republicans were willing to give it a fair read rather than voting nay along party lines.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
nobody expects trump to sign a bill, or the republican congress to pass any bills remotely resembling single payer. But is it possible to implement? of course. is it more cost effective than our current system? this is just common sense to every other nation.

Dont see it ever happening so it will not get to his desk...especially when it's suggesting a ban on private payers. It disrupts so many companies outside of just the "insurance companies". It would have to kill the economy overall taking out major corporations and displacing it's massive workforce.

And I don't even see it putting a dent in high end drug costs. Seen a lot of request from Canadians asking for assistance with new drugs due to cost or they are not covered (but available) under there supposedly next tier system.

Nasbin

Because it's a Bernie Sanders proposal.

Or: it's a politically non-starter that undermines real progress towards universal health coverage by setting up Dems for disillusionment and potentially alienating swing voters. You aren't ever going to nationalize one sixth of an economy as large and as important as the United States' short of utter crisis (war, depression).

Better to propose a real plan that works within the framework of a multi-payer system like Germany or the Netherlands have to bring down costs for everybody, so that we can point to progress in 2024 and give people a reason to vote for another 4 years of a Democratic president.

You guys already use a lot of tax money per capita to healthcare (actually Norway only is ahead).
OECD_health_expenditure_per_capita_by_country.svg

Working single payer shouldn't cost that much more than the clusterfuck you currently have.
It shouldn't, but it would, because American health care prices are utterly fucking b a n a n a s because of the lack of regulation and governmental power.

Universal health care is the solution, but getting there is a fairly intractable problem.

A black man being beat, a woman being choked, and police brutality. The message I'm seeing is that America has been communist all along?

No you're reading it wrong. The black man, the woman, and the victim of police violence are the communists. Their aggressors are the true patriots winning the country back.

Not

Banned
A lot of his base (the alt right) are Millenials though. This isn't easy.

In a fair society, they're outnumbered. There are more brown Americans everyday. Why do you think the GOP had such shit-eating grins when they announced they were ending DACA? Why do you think they try to take away their voting rights every damn chance they get?

They're shook. We're taking the country away from them, and even the dumbasses among us white Millennials can't stop it without straight up ending the Civil Rights act.

Top Bottom