• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

According to Square Enix, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is getting improvements to the image quality in performance mode. Trial update scheduled for 2/21

StereoVsn

Was the issue only with that mode?
Nope. There were image quality and image streaming issues in both modes. Hopefully whatever improvements they make will help both.

Also, hopefully by the time PC releases the game will be a bit more patched up, but not holding my breath. SE record on OC releases has been generally pretty terrible for larger titles.

Go_Ly_Dow

Nice for those unaware, both the performance and quality modes run at quite respectable resolutions and achieve stable framerates.

It seems somewhere between 1080-1530p for performance mode at 60fps and 1620-2160p for quality mode at 30fps. FFXVI meanwhile I think was 720-1080p for the 60fps performance mode and around 1440p for the 30fps quality mode.

DF speculate its the post processing or something along those lines that's causing the IQ to not be as clean as it should and so perhaps they've found a solution or the 1st demo was an old build.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Could sway me towards day one again if impressions, reviews, and performance is good.

My gut feeling is this will have the same issues part 1 suffered with, but I want to be wrong.

proandrad

Even the high resolution mode is kinda strange some low res textures. The game seems to be pushing unreal engine 4 to its limit. Game sorta looks like an unreal engine fan mode of what a ff7 remake could look like on unreal. Wish they would have just dumb that trash engine and used the FF16 engine.

Last edited:
40fps mode please.
Would be dope as I love these 40 fps options whenever they're available, but I'm not really having this type of expectation from Square. :messenger_grinning_sweat: I would just like if they provide 1) decent image quality in perf mode; 2) add a motion blur toggle for those of us who like having this feature (helps a fair bit when playing 30 fps games on oled tvs).

EDIT: I've updated the OP as they put out a tweet in English, too.

Last edited:

LordCBH

Would be dope as I love these 40 fps options whenever they're available, but I'm not really having this type of expectation from Square. :messenger_grinning_sweat: I would just like if they provide 1) decent image quality in perf mode; 2) add a motion blur toggle for those of us who like having this features (helps a fair bit when playing 30 fps games on oled tvs).

EDIT: I've updated the OP as they put out a tweet in English, too.

I will say the 30fps mode in the demo felt more responsive than I was expecting. I’m so used to them feeling really sluggish these days, but it felt fine in this one. I’d say slightly better than in 7 Remake. But I’d love a 40fps option

I will say the 30fps mode in the demo felt more responsive than I was expecting. I’m so used to them feeling really sluggish these days, but it felt fine in this one. I’d say slightly better than in 7 Remake. But I’d love a 40fps option
Was one of the first things I've noticed after booting up the demo; pleasantly surprised there.

LordCBH

Was one of the first things I've noticed after booting up the demo; pleasantly surprised there.

I would say high frame rate modes and playing high frame rates on pc ruined me, but I don’t think so. I go back to older games on PS3/360/PS2 and they feel fine. Just for whatever reason a lot of new games just feel really bad with responsiveness in 30fps modes. I think Hogwarts Legacy last year was one of the worst.

Last edited:

saintjules

Would be dope as I love these 40 fps options whenever they're available, but I'm not really having this type of expectation from Square. :messenger_grinning_sweat: I would just like if they provide 1) decent image quality in perf mode; 2) add a motion blur toggle for those of us who like having this feature (helps a fair bit when playing 30 fps games on oled tvs).

Agreed. I'm just thankful that we're getting a good stream of 60fps games and performance modes as options.

40fps is cool, but why don't we make 60 a bit more of the norm first?

Last edited:
I would say high frame rate modes and playing high frame rates on pc ruined me, but I don’t think so. I go back to older games on PS3/360/PS2 and they feel fine. Just for whatever reason a lot of new games just feel really bad with responsiveness in 30fps modes. I think Hogwarts Legacy last year was one of the worst.
Funnily enough some years back during the start of the pandemic, I was joggling between Destiny 1 which ran at 30 fps and Destiny 2 which I was playing on PC on a 144hz monitor with VRR. The first jump between them felt jarring, but I started getting used to switching between them faster and faster, and probably one the main reasons was the very low response time Destiny 1 has, which helped tons when playing at a low frame rate.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Well There It Is Jurassic Park GIF

Go_Ly_Dow

40fps would be lovely. :messenger_loudly_crying:

Fbh

That's great.
I was hoping they'd address the issue by the time the game was launching, but didn't expect them to update the demo to check out the improvement.
Hopefully it's decent now so I can pick up the game at launch.

Is this game going to cause your PS5 to overheat?

There's plenty of games with equal or better visuals and better performance on Ps5. So it shouldn't.
Also from what DF said the performance mode was always running at 1440p but their post processing was causing extreme blur, so it's likely they can improve that without really needing more "power" (similarly to how the performance mode in Forbidden west got a considerable upgrade after launch)

Go_Ly_Dow

People told me they wouldn't improve upon release.
In this case I thought a patch was coming as it seems to be a post processing issue which is probably an easier fix.

I'm expecting a marginal improvement only but something that will be noticeable.

Zathalus

They also promised improvements to the FF16 performance mode, which resulted in a net gain of 1fps. Not saying they can't make big improvements, just temper your expectations.

SABRE220

The issues unfortunately are much deeper than just resolution or image clarity, the assets, lighting, textures and geometry density all are a step back.

Go_Ly_Dow

The issues unfortunately are much deeper than just resolution or image clarity, the assets, lighting, textures and geometry density all are a step back.
Textures appear about the same as part 1 which was a mixed bag of high quality, mid quality and low quality textures. But the overall visual direction was well received. This is to be expected as the project doesn't have an infinite budget and development timeframe. The geometry, I've seen many including John from DF state that game has a lot more geometric density and variety compared to the 1st part, hence the hit to resolution over intergrade as they're pushing much more on the screen. There will always be tradeoffs.

I was perfectly fine with how the demo looked in Performance mode when I played it for 1.5 hours to completion last weekend but I am obviously not going to complain if they make improvements to it. The biggest issue I had with the game was noticeable pop in in places and a few low-res textures but it's nothing to make me cancel my £100 Deluxe Edition pre-order from Amazon.

Top Bottom