• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake II |OT| I'm blinded by the lights.........

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Just got to Alan Wake part. Game is extremely atmospheric. Crazy visuals on PC. Amazing presentation.

Worth every penny so far.

Y1ERdYu.jpg

iOSypgp.jpg

P0Xagyh.jpg

Epyl5Lu.jpg

Goddamn, the lighting and atmosphere looks top tier.

This game is amazing. And at points, the visuals are legitimately on a level I’ve never seen. Like, crazy good. I don’t know if it’s how dark it is or what but it looks crazy. That opening? Playing that was mind blowing.

However, there’s clearly little issues here or there, there’s a TON of shimmering going on and no RT at all on PS5. I get the lack of raytracing but surely there’s a way to make the shimmering/low res stuff better on a console like ps5 right?

Game looks stunning. I thought Control was another great piece of tech from Remedy too and I'm glad to see them improve and expand on it. Game looks to be on another level. Man I wish I wasn't poor, I've spent so much on games these last 2 months and still skipped a bunch that I want to play.

I gotta know though..... Someone tell me about the soundtrack. The licensed and original music from the first game was awesome, I loved it enough to buy the "cd" when the game came out.

Last edited:
4 hours clocked, really in the groove now, Performance Mode is the only way to go. Literally spent the last hour doing optional exploration, have opened every combination lock I've come across and solved every puzzle, found two padlocks that require an elusive key though. The way they've integrated Control is very cool, I'm digging it. Game is more often than not quite pretty:

yTjVOh4.jpg
oVtNBag.jpg
IYBAEja.jpg
vWJfTCA.jpg

Combat feels great, Remedy coming through with solid DualSense integration. Signature radio and TV commercials are amusing 😆

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Bought the game on GMG, redeemed on epic store, downloaded it but it wont launch because it cant authenticate my epic account?

what the hell is this?

The game failed to connect or authenticate with your Epic account. Third-party overlays may prevent the game from resolving this issue. Please try disabling third-party overlays temporarily and restart the game.

EDIT: it was the msi afterburner. geforce now is allowed but doesnt show fps readings.

Last edited:

adamsapple

4 hours clocked, really in the groove now, Performance Mode is the only way to go. Literally spent the last hour doing optional exploration, have opened every combination lock I've come across and solved every puzzle, found two padlocks that require an elusive key though. The way they've integrated Control is very cool, I'm digging it. Game is more often than not quite pretty:

yTjVOh4.jpg
oVtNBag.jpg
IYBAEja.jpg
vWJfTCA.jpg

Combat feels great, Remedy coming through with solid DualSense integration. Signature radio and TV commercials are amusing 😆

That looks clean for a game upscaling from 800p~.

FSR2 pulling its weight.

Hambone

Anyone else on the Series X having audio issues where the dialog has varying levels of reverb attached to it? I'm assuming bug? It feels like when you're walking through the forest the conversations shouldn't sound you're in a concrete tunnel.

Other than that, loving it.

Luipadre

Gold Member
You do realize that *movement* is exactly where a higher framerate has the advantage, right? Play however you want to play but at least know what you're talking about 👌

I know, but FSR breaks when you move the camera too, so it will always look better on still pictures

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Nice to see game director Kyle Rowley over at the purple place chipping in on the thread convos and shit :messenger_expressionless:

Do these people think that that cesspool is the only place where enthusiasts gather to discuss games? What the everliving fuck. I just dont get it. Even Remedy bends at the knee for those psycho pitchforking freaks? Come on son.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Nice to see game director Kyle Rowley over at the purple place chipping in on the thread convos and shit :messenger_expressionless:

Do these people think that that cesspool is the only place where enthusiasts gather to discuss games? What the everliving fuck. I just dont get it. Even Remedy bends at the knee for those psycho pitchforking freaks? Come on son.
There cesspool is bigger then ours…unfortunately

M.W.

Tried this out on PC, and you know what, I'm getting a solid 40-50fps with everything on high, no RT. Plus, being able to turn off vignette, etc. and increase the FOV, this is the way.

SJRB

Gold Member
“I don’t get it, why did you put me in charge of this case?”
“Well because you are goddamn amazing and clearly way smarter than the rest of us”

First a “subtle” jab when the cop assumed the guy was in charge, then this interaction seconds later.

Videogames!

adamsapple

Why am I starting the game as a naked hairy man. I did not sign up for this :messenger_grinning_sweat:

edit: oh me oh my, the lighting and effects are fantastic.

Last edited:
Bought the game on GMG, redeemed on epic store, downloaded it but it wont launch because it cant authenticate my epic account?

what the hell is this?

EDIT: it was the msi afterburner. geforce now is allowed but doesnt show fps readings.
Same thing happened to me, msi can be turned on again after starting the game.

Also I didn't get the error when I launched the game again a few hours later.

Played for a bit, got to where I finally met wake, a bit past the wolf encounter; plays really well.
Performance seems fine too, no stuttering at all and 60fps at UHD high with FSR2 set to balanced, heck I can even turn on RT to mid with path tracing and get 30-40fps with FSR2 ultra performance; was expecting a slide show tbh, anyway obviously playing without RT.

Though I didn't get my pre-order bonuses, just the deluxe stuff...

I like how the game teaches you to do things, at a certain point I was about to get hit and it was like, oh hey btw, you've got this cool R3make style dodge :), and the reminders work well too, I was going into the mind space to access the map a couple times, and a message popped up as a reminder that you can also access the map directly.

Edit: all the Control references so far have been cool.

Last edited:

Insane Metal

Gold Member
Why am I starting the game as a naked hairy man. I did not sign up for this :messenger_grinning_sweat:

edit: oh me oh my, the lighting and effects are fantastic.
I legit thought I was watching FMV for a moment. Took me a sec to realize I could control the naked guy lol

Edit: Saga Anderson has the charisma of a potato. Terrible character.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
How does the gameplay feel? does the combat feel solid and heavy like TLOU or do guns feel paperweight? Good enemy hit reaction? Or do they just get hit and die like in a Souls game?

Last edited:

Krathoon

Gold Member
They say the PC version has DualSense support. Can someone confirm it?

Does it use the controller microphone any?

Does it use the lights on the controller?

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

“I don’t get it, why did you put me in charge of this case?”
“Well because you are goddamn amazing and clearly way smarter than the rest of us”

First a “subtle” jab when the cop assumed the guy was in charge, then this interaction seconds later.

Videogames!
Modern day writing trope that characters talk about character traits rather than it being shown through their actions.

Last edited:

Insane Metal

Gold Member

According to this, and looking at the video seems authentic, X and PS5 look identical and run at around 1270p in quality mode. Perf mode runs on 850p more or less on both.

A2una1

Anyone else on the Series X having audio issues where the dialog has varying levels of reverb attached to it? I'm assuming bug? It feels like when you're walking through the forest the conversations shouldn't sound you're in a concrete tunnel.

Other than that, loving it.
Playing on PC and really liking it. But I got issues with the near death vignette, it is so damn intrusive can't see shit anymore... Does anybody know how I can disable it?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
you've got this cool R3make style dodge
Yeah i really liked the dodge, this is what Callisto Protocol should have...not just standing still dodging swings.

I'm playing right now, changed to Performance for a minute, it's very smooth but blur city. Sticking to Quality.
I tried quality mode in first chapter, but I switch to performance mode, it just feel better to play.

Last edited:

GrayChild

Modern day writing trope that characters talk about character traits rather than it being shown through their actions.
It's not even Remedy's doing.

Have you ever wondered why most AAA stuff nowadays has the same safe, boring and neutered characterization and writing?

Alan Wake II is just the latest victim:

F9Yb-mhWcAAQTVd

F9ZDg6LW8AAOmiP

Last edited:
Top Bottom