• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

Grisby

Alien and Aliens work so well together because of the extreme opposites that they inhibit. One is a lonely horror film and the other is balls to the wall action.

Great set of flicks.
Jonesy you say?

jonesyxyc38.gif
Proof that even space cats are dicks.

Jimmydg

Well, the map is opening progessively and there are nodes that make parts of the area visible but most of the time it's exploring. The map in general is rather huge with several levels connected to each other and it's always about finding a way to the next objective, while leaving some rooms up to explore for items and parts or collectibles. Sevastopol is pretty linear but huge nonetheless and that's why it feels so claustrophobic. The map plays an important part in the game.

It's a survival game so you have to use what the game leaves there for you. You constantly find useful things and gadgets/weapons that help you open up ways or new paths but it's challenging to handle all the encounters with the limited supply. The game lives from its atmosphere, the constant threat and clever level design.

Sounds fantastic!

Expectations for Alien(s) games are at an all time low. I want this game to be great, but I'm waiting for reviews.

I'm nervous about how those reviews are going to look, whether the game is good or not. Anyone else remember the critical mauling that Zombi U got because you couldn't shoot your way through it?

I loved Zombi U.

I am a huge Alien fanatic but I will still wait for the reviews before buying. Don't get me wrong, game looks super awesome so far but I've been burned once before and I won't make that mistake again. *glances over at Gearbox and Sega*

Yeah im hyped, but ill wait for reviews too. I was hyped for Aliens:CM after all and that didnt work out too well for me

Catdaddy

Great OT! Alien has been one of my favorite movies since I saw it on HBO in the mid-80s. If anything, I pay $$ just to walk around the Nostromo inspired like space station. I’m thinking the reviews will be mixed, considering it’s a stealth only game and you can’t kill; it will cause some “repetitive gameplay” and “fun for a while” comments.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Just noticed Dan Abnett is writing this... He also wrote most of the Marvel Cosmic saga. Haven't read it yet, but it's supposed to be really good.

OneUh8

Well I am super excited for this. I like survival horror games and love the alien franchise. I have faith this will be good based on everything we have seen. Confident in my pre-order.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Reposting this gif because I love it. (From the EGX Let's Play video)

HatefulZestyDove.gif

Thanks Lettuce for the gif.

that was the moment when the guy playing tried to talk to the alien XD..i laughed so hard.
i like the way the alien behaves. it does not just jump you, it "thinks" about you for a second..before it kills you.

As extremely hesitant as I remain, I pre-ordered just to reward them for doing survival horror with the franchise. I figure even if it's bad, it being an Alien game trying something new was worth making it one of my three new game purchases of the year.

Jack cw

Oh reviews are coming out today? I want this game to be good so badly. Please be good!!!

October 3rd is when the embargo is lifted. Normally it's a good sign when an embargo is set for early reviews, Sega is quite confident with their product and they should be.

I think this game will be divisive. I feel like I'll probably love the shit out of it, but others might not like that it's a proper stealth game and the AI is unpredictable so the amount of deaths coupled with no auto save (manual save stations) will have people frustrated.
See, these were the points that all piqued my interest and convinced me that they probably know what they're doing- noncombat focused games are best tough, yo.

Tekku

Man, som of those screenshots in the OT look almost like real life. And the attention to details is really amazing. It's like the development team had a time travel machine so they could head back and walk around the original set.

Hello-my-baby-hello-my-honey-hello-my-ragtime-Gal-The-Alien-Dance.gif

Just pre-ordered digitally on the One to unlock it early vs. my initial Physical PS4 pre-order. The hype was too much.

Now later tonight I have the pleasure of showing my girlfriend Alien for the first time!

Anyone know any details on remote play for this?

I have a pair of the Sony elite headsets and would love to play this late night in bed.

Just not too sure on 60$ for an Alien game as of late.

Am I dirty for waiting on reviews for this one?

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Anyone know any details on remote play for this?

I have a pair of the Sony elite headsets and would love to play this late night in bed.

Just not too sure on 60$ for an Alien game as of late.

Am I dirty for waiting on reviews for this one?

lol I don't think you'll get a hard time from anyone for waiting for reviews on this after the Colonial Marines debacle. Also no details that I know of regarding anything specific on the remote play, should work just like the other PS4 games though I hope the shoulder buttons are activated via the front of the touch screen and not the back ala Destiny.

fin

Hopefully I finish SoM this weekend so I can play this sooner than later. Can't believe I preordered an Alien game...

What a fall were having. Destiny, SoM, Alien and MCC. Good times.

Gonna wait for reviews on this one. Was easily one of my most anticipated games of the year until I played a demo build of it. The AI indeed felt artificial. Essentially all my complaints mirror those from that PC Mag preview. God I hope I was playing it wrong or the demo AI was indeed bad and they've since fixed it.

I have a question, so what exactly happens when you shoot the xenomorph with a gun? I've been curious ever since I heard there was going to be firearms in this game.

Top Bottom