• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Blackout - A Mobile Game with Amanda Ripley (Updated: Read OP)

PrimeTime

I will be very happy if this is a sequel to Isolation by former members of CA. Tall order, maybe, but that game was so underappreciated by the media. The last couple hours of that game alone, were so tense it was catapulted to one of my top gaming experiences. I’m very happy to see many of you wanting that experience again...here’s hoping we get it.

The Alien

Banned
RPG by Obsidian exclusively for Xbox and PC.
Not sure if you are already aware...or took a stab, but Obsidian already took a crack at the Aliens universe.

ALIENS: Crucible was cancelled. Too bad, the game looked sweet - and super ahead of time. There's a really good YouTube video on it (like 15 minutes).

The Alien

Banned
Whatever they do....I desperately want the game to be good. I have my doubts though. History on the IP is a mixed bag.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Not sure if you are already aware...or took a stab, but Obsidian already took a crack at the Aliens universe.

ALIENS: Crucible was cancelled. Too bad, the game looked sweet - and super ahead of time. There's a really good YouTube video on it (like 15 minutes).
I’m aware. I’m just speculating that Microsoft is so keen to get eyeballs leading into next gen that it’s possible they bought Obsidian and leased the Alien licence. Very, very unlikely, I know.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Let me put it this way: if Alien is a stunning display of Art, its sequel is a stunning display of Craftsmanship

- Miniatures for the drop ship and colony structures were utilized to great effect
- Depending on the level of action required, the aliens were depicted either by costumed actors or animatronic/puppet props
500px-Aliens-gale-ann-hurd.jpg

- James Cameron was in his prime, using filmmaking techniques like rear screen projection and reverse photography (for example the POV shot of the facehugger attacking Ripley is in reverse)
- Despite its reputation as an action movie, the film understood to never show the alien in a well lit environment. Something that Alien 3, Alien Resurrection, and Alien Covenant all failed to comply with.
- The movie feels like it takes place in the same universe as Alien, technology wise. The motion tracker introduced in the first movie feels like a natural progression of the more basic one shown in the first. The grungy utilitarian blue collar vibe is on full display. Contrast this to Prometheus which showcases all kinds of high tech despite taking place BEFORE Alien.
queenminature.jpg

- Most important of all, the storytelling never tries to delve into the origins of the creature. It keeps it a mystery. Critics of Aliens say it ruined the creature by just making it a glorified bug. On the contrary, the creatures show tremendous intelligence (cutting power, operating elevators) despite only being a few weeks old. Furthermore, nothing about the Queen existing suggests its the only method of reproduction. It could have easily been a Company experiment, a one-off. They literally show that they have live samples of the creatures in the medical bay and were experimenting on them.

btsalienstitan2_large.jpg

I can totally understanding liking Alien 1 more than 2. Alien is a one-of-a-kind existential gothic masterpiece. A masterclass. But to like Aliens less than 3, Resurrection, AVP, Prometheus, and Convenant is a display of incredibly shit taste.

BTW: friendly reminder that Amanda Ripley was introduced in Aliens. Every time you boot up Isolation, you're taking a piece of Aliens with you at all times.

Aliens was done on the cheap, it was a great effort on Cameron's part to make it look as good as it did. The reason why the aliens tend to be shown in silhouette was due to the fact that they only had a few detailed body suits, and so had to fill out the numbers with simplified versions.

I like Aliens, even if I do have major issues with it, but the truth is its aged far worse than the original. The opticals and model-work weren't that good in their day and now look pretty poor, fortunately Stan Winston's work on the creature side hold up really well.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
We aint in the days of Fruit Ninja anymore, gaf. The game will probably be good.

Plus there is obviously still a console alien game coming down the pipeline too.

Stuart360

Even though Isolation underperformed (which says more about the gaming industry really as i'm sure i read isolation sold 4mil copies, which would of been a big success in past gens), you would of thought the critical reception and love from gamers themselves would mean a sequel would sell considerably more than the first game, and would be worth a gamble by Sega. Its a shame really.

Mochilador

So it's Alien Isolation 2 but for smartphones. Looking at the name, I was expecting a Battle Royale type of game lol.

Seyfert

Is it break the rule to whine about mobile game? Because i am going to do that.

A very disappointment but what i deserve to assume that it will be AAA game in the first place.

Who would have thought Alien + Puzzle game is a very good idea. Hmm.

Mobile lmao

Glad I didn't fall for the hype because this would have been devastating. But it's been known for a long time that Alien Isolation 2 was never going to happen, so I was prepared.

MiguelItUp

I mean, the pictures made it look pretty decent. But this "trailer" just makes it look like a "Five Nights.." rip off, and that's so damn gross to me.

What a colossal piece of shit. No one asked for this. No one really wants it. Mobile is where franchises go to die. Fuck.

Doczu

Two things.

1. The facebook post recommends "pre-ordering" the game. A mobile game.

2. If a "full fledged" sequel to Isolartion, or any other "big" game is in the works - when will gaming companies learn that you don't hype things up and then show a spin-off or mobile title? Jesus, Nintendo fucked up with Metroid FF, Blizzard with Diablo, EA with C&C. Hello, did everyone forget how Bethesda (of all studios) revealed Fallout: Shelter? Drop the big game and the shove the mobile side dish right into the spot? You thought publishers have seen enough to know how not to burn bridges.

EDIT: Oh god it's an FNAF rip-off...

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Are there any “entitled gamers get pissy at stupid decision by company” stories yet?

Geki-D

Banned
Well, the dream is dead.

I really didn't follow the VGA but did the Alien stuff teased there just result in nothing? Was Blackout actually announced there?

Doczu

Are there any “entitled gamers get pissy at stupid decision by company” stories yet?
Well Reset closed the announcement thread, cleared it and thr mods issued a statement that wining will results in warnings and bans, so... Kinda?
Give it a day, the (s)hit pieces will follow

Barakov

That pic in Ibiza's post makes this look like it's a mobile ripoff of Alien Isolation. What a let down.

Javthusiast

Banned
Nothing says immersive horror survival experience like playing a phone game in public, noises around you and a small screen.

A sequel the fans of Isolation truly deserve huh industry?

thelastword

Banned
u9j3Wni.jpg

One of my only FPS purchases on PS1, very impressive, superb graphics and it definitely nailed the intended atmosphere of fear and panic, those face huggers "Yeesh".......That fox intro CG with the sound effects is something I still remember...

Hope the new game takes some cues here.....

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Oh haha, oh man... this is amazing...

After Diablo, I didn’t think any company would be this dense, but here we are...

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
Nothing says immersive horror survival experience like playing a phone game in public, noises around you and a small screen.

A sequel the fans of Isolation truly deserve huh industry?

No one's putting a gun to your head insisting that you play it while you're waiting for the bus.

Javthusiast

Banned
No one's putting a gun to your head insisting that you play it while you're waiting for the bus.

You are right. Playing it on the shitter is going to be the better experience.

Also, this game literally is Five Nights at Xeno's.

Last edited:
Top Bottom