• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Blackout - A Mobile Game with Amanda Ripley (Updated: Read OP)

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Newest Update:
https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/0...to-isolation-despite-sharing-a-main-character

Fox reached out to Game Informer to clarify that "[Blackout] is a standalone game that shares Amanda Ripley as a main character but is not related to or a sequel of Isolation."

Update:
Not much to say, my interest in this Alien game was just killed. I don't care for playing anything on a touchscreen, click if you're interested.
https://d3go.com/games/alienblackout/

SURVIVE OR DIE
Using only the space station’s limited power supply to operate a holographic map, surveillance cameras, and motion tracker, attempt to remain hidden and protect your crew from the perfect hunter in seven fear-inducing levels.

A NEW CHAPTER IN THE ALIEN FRANCHISE
A new chapter in the Alien franchise following the saga of Amanda Ripley, Ellen Ripley’s daughter, between the films Alien and Aliens.

FIRST CLASS ALIEN MOBILE EXPERIENCE
An immersive and captivating Alien experience, perfectly designed for mobile gaming, bringing the Alien story to life.

ENCOUNTER FEAR AGAIN AND AGAIN
Every decision can lead to a different conclusion. Players can test different strategies and theories to outlast the Xenomorph in pursuit of victory!

There is an upcoming game for dedicated gaming machines, but it doesn't look like we'll be getting another horror Alien title in the foreseeable future.
https://segmentnext.com/2019/01/08/foxnext-games-alien-blackout/
“FoxNext Games’ studio, Cold Iron Studios, is also currently at work on a massively multiplayer online shooter set in the Alien cinematic universe for consoles and PC.”

Shooting at xenos is the last thing I want to do with them.

https://gematsu.com/2018/11/20th-century-fox-trademarks-alien-blackout-for-use-with-video-games

20th Century Fox has trademarked “Alien: Blackout” for use with “computer game discs; software, namely game software,” and the like.

https://www.wipo.int/branddb/en/showData.jsp?ID=EMTM.017988931

HX3R3m8.png

https://www.tmdn.org/tmview/get-detail?st13=EM500000017981772

http://coldironstudios.com/careers/senior-systems-designer/

Cold Iron is seeking an experienced Senior Systems Designer to join us in creating a shooter set in the Alien universe for consoles and PC! Are you passionate innovating and owning large-scale game systems? Do you revel in creating combat experiences that are both challenging and gratifying?

Currently, the team is working on a new PC and console shooter based on the Alien franchise. The team is especially excited to be entrusted with the Alien universe and to provide Alien and gaming fans with an experience they will love.

https://twitter.com/AlienBlackout

https://twitter.com/Alien_Blackout

Related?

Thanks mods for the title change:messenger_spock:

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Had to Google them... Well, I'll believe in them for now. I nearly bought Colonial Marines back in the day but my boy saved me telling me to wait on reviews. Hopefully this ends up better.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Bah, shooting at xenos, the last thing I want to do with them :(
Gimme more Isolation.

I’m a sucker for Alien stuff. Loved Isolation but I would be down for a quality shooter. It’s been a while since there was a good one.

I never understood why people keep wanting shooters out of the Alien franchise. CA did the right thing by concentrating on the survival horror.

THE:MILKMAN

Let's be honest..Who knows with Geoff and Hideo? Looking at that tweet exchange I ask: 1, Why does Hideo write 'FOX' (all caps) and 2, Why does The Game Awards (Geoff?) reply with 'World Will Change' (no 's' in Worlds)?

Trolling, teasing or both? I say both!

THE:MILKMAN

As for this Alien game it assuredly is the Cold Iron Studios game but they are tiny in AAA terms ~30 staff but growing and only started work on this game in like February according to articles early this year.

I wonder how anything of substance could be ready by them yet to warrant such hype by the Game Awards (not that a big Alien game isn't cool/exciting).

A CGI teaser trailer would be a waste of hype for me.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Alien > Alien: Isolation > the rest of the franchise > Aliens.
Change my mind.

Let me put it this way: if Alien is a stunning display of Art, its sequel is a stunning display of Craftsmanship

- Miniatures for the drop ship and colony structures were utilized to great effect
- Depending on the level of action required, the aliens were depicted either by costumed actors or animatronic/puppet props
500px-Aliens-gale-ann-hurd.jpg

- James Cameron was in his prime, using filmmaking techniques like rear screen projection and reverse photography (for example the POV shot of the facehugger attacking Ripley is in reverse)
- Despite its reputation as an action movie, the film understood to never show the alien in a well lit environment. Something that Alien 3, Alien Resurrection, and Alien Covenant all failed to comply with.
- The movie feels like it takes place in the same universe as Alien, technology wise. The motion tracker introduced in the first movie feels like a natural progression of the more basic one shown in the first. The grungy utilitarian blue collar vibe is on full display. Contrast this to Prometheus which showcases all kinds of high tech despite taking place BEFORE Alien.
queenminature.jpg

- Most important of all, the storytelling never tries to delve into the origins of the creature. It keeps it a mystery. Critics of Aliens say it ruined the creature by just making it a glorified bug. On the contrary, the creatures show tremendous intelligence (cutting power, operating elevators) despite only being a few weeks old. Furthermore, nothing about the Queen existing suggests its the only method of reproduction. It could have easily been a Company experiment, a one-off. They literally show that they have live samples of the creatures in the medical bay and were experimenting on them.

btsalienstitan2_large.jpg

I can totally understanding liking Alien 1 more than 2. Alien is a one-of-a-kind existential gothic masterpiece. A masterclass. But to like Aliens less than 3, Resurrection, AVP, Prometheus, and Convenant is a display of incredibly shit taste.

BTW: friendly reminder that Amanda Ripley was introduced in Aliens. Every time you boot up Isolation, you're taking a piece of Aliens with you at all times.

HeresJohnny

Saying they've got incredibly large shoes to fil after Alien Isolation doesn't do the term justice. If I owned the Alien license, I'd have signed a deal with Sega to have the same team that did Isolation do the next game.

brian0057

Banned
Let me put it this way: if Alien is a stunning display of Art, its sequel is a stunning display of Craftsmanship

- Miniatures for the drop ship and colony structures were utilized to great effect
- Depending on the level of action required, the aliens were depicted either by costumed actors or animatronic/puppet props
500px-Aliens-gale-ann-hurd.jpg

- James Cameron was in his prime, using filmmaking techniques like rear screen projection and reverse photography (for example the POV shot of the facehugger attacking Ripley is in reverse)
- Despite its reputation as an action movie, the film understood to never show the alien in a well lit environment. Something that Alien 3, Alien Resurrection, and Alien Covenant all failed to comply with.
- The movie feels like it takes place in the same universe as Alien, technology wise. The motion tracker introduced in the first movie feels like a natural progression of the more basic one shown in the first. The grungy utilitarian blue collar vibe is on full display. Contrast this to Prometheus which showcases all kinds of high tech despite taking place BEFORE Alien.
queenminature.jpg

- Most important of all, the storytelling never tries to delve into the origins of the creature. It keeps it a mystery. Critics of Aliens say it ruined the creature by just making it a glorified bug. On the contrary, the creatures show tremendous intelligence (cutting power, operating elevators) despite only being a few weeks old. Furthermore, nothing about the Queen existing suggests its the only method of reproduction. It could have easily been a Company experiment, a one-off. They literally show that they have live samples of the creatures in the medical bay and were experimenting on them.

btsalienstitan2_large.jpg

I can totally understanding liking Alien 1 more than 2. Alien is a one-of-a-kind existential gothic masterpiece. A masterclass. But to like Aliens less than 3, Resurrection, AVP, Prometheus, and Convenant is a display of incredibly shit taste.

BTW: friendly reminder that Amanda Ripley was introduced in Aliens. Every time you boot up Isolation, you're taking a piece of Aliens with you at all times.

As a horror film? Alien (1979) is superior.
As an action movie? Commando (1985) is the best.
As a film that combines both action and horror? Predator (1987) is what you're looking for.

Aliens botches the horror aspect by showing the weaknesses and limitations of the creature. They go from monolithic killing machines for which the only good strategy is to hide to ballistic gel dummies whose only purpose is to get blown up by the cardboard cutouts that pass for a crew. As for the action, Ripley fighting the alien queen using a Power Ranger suit while throwing one-liners is the most unintentionally funny scene in the whole movie. It makes the original Death Wish look like Schindler's List.

Of course, this is all just my opinion.
After all, for me, the only good films James Cameron has ever done are the first two Terminator films.

As for this Alien game it assuredly is the Cold Iron Studios game but they are tiny in AAA terms ~30 staff but growing and only started work on this game in like February according to articles early this year.

I wonder how anything of substance could be ready by them yet to warrant such hype by the Game Awards (not that a big Alien game isn't cool/exciting).

A CGI teaser trailer would be a waste of hype for me.
that is exactly what it will be

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Fingers crossed for a non mobile game.

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/11/25/alien-blackout-pc-consoles-first-details/#nnn

Details on the game are currently scarce, but a few employee LinkedIn pages shed a bit of light on the project.

We decided to dig in to the LinkedIn pages of Cold Iron Studios' employees to see if there was any more information about the game to be found, and there was, albeit not a great deal.

The most notable discovery is that apparently the game is in development for PC and consoles, but not just any consoles, next-gen consoles. Mention of next-gen consoles can be found on the job description of both Matt Highison's page, the studio art director, and formerly the creative director at Cold Iron, as well as on Craig Zinkievich's page, CEO of the company, and whose job description mentions leading a team to create "next-gen gameplay." CTO Shannon Posniewski's page also confirms that the team is working on a game for "next-gen consoles."

Interestingly, Zinkievich's job description also mentions the studio is focused on building "online titles." Given that Alien: Blackout is a shooter, it seems quite plausible that it will be an online game as well, though the description doesn't directly say one way or another, it just mentions what the team is creating in general.

Lastly, the aforementioned Highison makes note that the game is being developed on Unreal Engine 4, the commonly used engine from Epic Games.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Okay, it's looking much much more likely that this is the much deserved and needed sequel to Alien Isolation

FUCK YEAH!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
It says Read. PLAY. Watch

You can't PLAY a book can you?
You got me, but a sequel to isolation is no chance at this moment imo, and the only alien game we know in development is with multiplayer for the news we have. The sequel of isolation we know is the book coming this year and the twitter account is advertising that.

I don't know the word "play" means in all of this.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You got me, but a sequel to isolation is no chance at this moment imo, and the only alien game we know in development is with multiplayer for the news we have. The sequel of isolation we know is the book coming this year and the twitter account is advertising that.

I don't know the word "play" means in all of this.

Maybe a choose your own adventure type digital book, etc..

Something like Netflix is doing with their Minecraft and Black Mirror series maybe.

Last edited:

Meesh

I never understood why people keep wanting shooters out of the Alien franchise. CA did the right thing by concentrating on the survival horror.
Probably because Aliens the movie was less about survival horror like Alien, and more of a shooter with the inclusion of Marines... lending itself to a sort of war fare. Alien and Aliens are really just different in some ways so the games could go either way.

Skyfox

In my opinion they lost their opportunity to make this when they let the original dev team dissolve.

I’d be happy to be proven wrong though.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Hope it's VR compatible if it's like Alien Isolation. Also improve the alien AI so it's not so gamey and cheaty anymore if at all possible but if there's no other way to have it hunt the player that's okay.

The original game still looks bloody amazing, especially with the TAA mod on PC getting rid of the jaggies, it's amazing how good it looks and how smoothly it runs even on super modest PC setups.

Edit: oh so it's not anything like that after all. Oh well. Reinstalling AI with Alias Isolation TAA as we speak.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Last edited:
Top Bottom