• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

I gave you props, man. Look under the gif ;)

Again, I think you are trying to connect the dots a little too much. You shouldn't watch 'Alien' and at the same time think how it ties in with 'Aliens', 'Alien3' or "Aliens: Resurrection' etc.

'Alien' was a standalone film that established a universe and lore. Cameron made his own interpretation with the sequel 'Aliens' but that doesn't necessarily mean that his interpretation applies to Scott's initial vision.

You're right, the queen concept was added in 'Aliens'. The full lifecycle wasn't explored in the theatrical cut of 'Alien', but the egg conversion bit (cut because it affected the pacing of the end of the film) was meant to be the way the species reproduced. When the queen was retconned in it was relegated to an alternative method used if no queen was available.

I think that the full lifecycle was shown on some Giger art for the alien pyramid (later replaced by the derelict), which appeared in a different form in Prometheus.

EGM1966

You're right, the queen concept was added in 'Aliens'. The full lifecycle wasn't explored in the theatrical cut of 'Alien', but the egg conversion bit (cut because it affected the pacing of the end of the film) was meant to be the way the species reproduced. When the queen was retconned in it was relegated to an alternative method used if no queen was available.

I think that the full lifecycle was shown on some Giger art for the alien pyramid (later replaced by the derelict), which appeared in a different form in Prometheus.

Correct the original idea for Alien - put into a mural that wasn't really used and a scene that was ultimately deleted - was Egg to facehugger to chest burster to adult that implants victims who turn into eggs completing the cycle.

Although arguably not cannon I also remember an interview where Scott noted in his view the Alien only had a short time active, like certain insects, and that by the end its already nearing the end of its short life which is why it finds a hidden spot in the shuttle and is initially slow to attack Ripley. It had implanted others that would create eggs and therefore its cycle was over.

As all of this either wasn't included or not made explicit Cameron was able to introduce the Queen. A move that arguably made the Alien just a little too familiar to certain insects but did give him both "something new" and a heck of a good climax to his movie.

I just wish that rather than the lame termite egg sack they'd gone for a much more bio-mechanical egg laying machine design with the Queen attached in a similar way to the final film. I always felt that aspect of the Queen was a bit of a let down and too much of a deviation from Gieger styling. Probably budget and time were the causes but given Cameron designed a pretty damn good Geiger like Queen it's a pity he didn't extend the effort to the egg laying too.

Super excited for Alien Isolation, it's easily my most anticipated game this year. I even liked Colonial Marines in a "it's so bad it's fun" type way (I played the campaign on co-op with friends and it was hilarious) but it wasn't a true Alien game. I have a feeling that Isolation will be the game every Alien fan has been waiting for. And if it becomes successful, I would love for Creative Assembly to make a true Colonial Marines game or even a Predator game.

Super excited for Alien Isolation, it's easily my most anticipated game this year. I even liked Colonial Marines in a "it's so bad it's fun" type way (I played the campaign on co-op with friends and it was hilarious)but it wasn't a true Alien game. I have a feeling that Isolation will be the game every Alien fan has been waiting for. And if it becomes successful, I would love for Creative Assembly to make a true Colonial Marines game or even a Predator game.

As someone who was absolutely heartbroken and furious over Colonial Marines, I agree with the bolded section above. Me and my friends started playing it together a few months ago and we still haven't gotten past the first mission because we can't stop laughing and killing each other and ourselves. We vowed to finish it (I'm the only one who finished it initially) together. I can't wait for that playthrough.

Ferr986

Damn thats going to be a big egg.

Wonder if the Queen can decide weather to 'shit' out a queen egg or not, as the Alien inside Ripley in Alien3 was a queen so seems to suggest that the Queen can select what type of egg to produce

Wasnt this a retcon in the Special Edition of Alien 3? I think the original Alien 3 was just a regular Alien (may be wrong though, been ages since I saw OG Alien 3)

I just wish that rather than the lame termite egg sack they'd gone for a much more bio-mechanical egg laying machine design with the Queen attached in a similar way to the final film. I always felt that aspect of the Queen was a bit of a let down and too much of a deviation from Gieger styling. Probably budget and time were the causes but given Cameron designed a pretty damn good Geiger like Queen it's a pity he didn't extend the effort to the egg laying too.

Hmm... didnt really think about it but you're right. IMO Queen design is fabulous and fits well with Giger's style, but due to the biomechanical nature of Alien, its true that her way to lay eggs may feel jarring.

LowParry

Don't forget. Too much flares. And.....oh fuck what is thaaaaaaaaaa!@#!@$!@#$%#$.............................................................................................................

i0StDaPzGWvdk.gif

I can understand why some people hate Aliens.

The Alien franchise become known and popular because of the Alien movie. The movie's quality and singularity were established by it's horror elements as the claustrophobic corridors, the mystery around the Alien, the permanent feeling of weakness, etc.
These were the things which I loved when I saw the movie and made it one of the best I've ever seen.

And then we get a sequel where there are dozens of Aliens, Ripley being a badass, gratuitous horror segments, thousands of guns and so on. It was the COMPLETE opposite of it's prequel.
Some people would say that it's interesting to see a franchise having so different genres as action and horror, but I say that smashes the unique elements the franchise had, it just puts the franchise in a crisis of identity.

The Alien franchise was/is all about horror and Aliens doesn't belong to that genre. The contrast between the 2 first movies is so big that Aliens feels like a separated movie rather than a movie integrated in the franchise.

And was because of this change of course that Alien 3 and Resurrection (mostly this last one) struggled to find it's genre. Were these horror or action movies? I have no idea!

But don't get me wrong, Aliens is a good action movie, but a terrible Alien movie.

Well, the map is opening progessively and there are nodes that make parts of the area visible but most of the time it's exploring. The map in general is rather huge with several levels connected to each other and it's always about finding a way to the next objective, while leaving some rooms up to explore for items and parts or collectibles. Sevastopol is pretty linear but huge nonetheless and that's why it feels so claustrophobic. The map plays an important part in the game.

It's a survival game so you have to use what the game leaves there for you. You constantly find useful things and gadgets/weapons that help you open up ways or new paths but it's challenging to handle all the encounters with the limited supply. The game lives from its atmosphere, the constant threat and clever level design.

Please tell me that we get to go to the Derelict on LV426, please.

Then again you probably aren't far enough to know lol.

Kezen

Banned
Having played the PS4 version, I'd say don't get your hopes up. Really wasn't that impressive.

Graphics, that is.

You must have really high standards. I think it looks great, I've seen what I assume is PS4 footage. Great lighting and DOF.

And for those with relatively powerful PC hardware :
http://www.techpowerup.com/204474/amd-and-creative-assembly-to-deliver-the-ultimate-alien-isolation-experience.html

Alien: Isolation' is a game that plunges players into a haunting, terrifying atmosphere," said Clive Gratton, Lead Programmer, Creative Assembly. "The visual experience plays such a fundamental role in the 'feel' of the game that we went the extra mile to craft an in-house engine that fully articulates our vision. AMD has graciously helped us augment that engine for the PC with a number of effects, such as contact-hardening shadows, compute-based particles, HDAO and DirectX 11 tessellation. Support for immersion and performance technologies like AMD Eyefinity and CrossFire technologies make the whole PC experience even better!"

Kaversmed

Having not looked much into this game, what have the previews been saying? Good thangs for next week?? :)

Most (if not all?) previews I've read/seen have been very positive. Although there are concerns regarding the hide and seek concept for a full game.

King_Moc

Banned
You must have really high standards. I think it looks great, I've seen what I assume is PS4 footage. Great lighting and DOF.

And for those with relatively powerful PC hardware :
http://www.techpowerup.com/204474/amd-and-creative-assembly-to-deliver-the-ultimate-alien-isolation-experience.html

I just didn't like the frame rate and there were jaggies everywhere. The animation of the alien was janky in places too. I ran away from him into an airvent and found a spot where he couldn't get me (behind a 1 foot tall box) and he walked backwards and forwards in front of me doing some extremely suspect walking. And turning 180 degrees instantly, which is weird.

Kezen

Banned
I just didn't like the frame rate and there were jaggies everywhere. The animation of the alien was janky in places too. I ran away from him into an airvent and found a spot where he couldn't get me (behind a 1 foot tall box) and he walked backwards and forwards in front of me doing some extremely suspect walking. And turning 180 degrees instantly, which is weird.
It's possible what you saw was an old build, either way I'm not concerned about the level of polish. No game is pristine in that regard, I really hope the AI is good. That's my main concern.

The animation of the alien was janky in places too. I ran away from him into an airvent and found a spot where he couldn't get me (behind a 1 foot tall box) and he walked backwards and forwards in front of me doing some extremely suspect walking. And turning 180 degrees instantly, which is weird.

That has nothing to do with graphics, though.
How is this game not extremely visually pleasing?

Linconan

Well this is the thing, in Alien the directors cut (or whatever its called), when Ripley discovers Dallas,
Just going to quote you cause you spoke of a scene that "i'm" actually conflicted about.

Yes i know it's not in the original, but still,..

Alien:
She discovers Dallas, stuck like a fly on the wall surrounded by Alien love juice.
Aliens:
(can't remember if it was Burke, Gorman or Hicks)...
But, someone askes Ripley if she has seen anything like this before, when they are looking at the monitors.
She replies, No.

Not a major thing, but i haven't actually heard anyone talk about this in the Alien Universe and/or forums.

Any insight?
Maybe i've just missed something.. *shrugs*...

as a Alien and Predator fan thats read most of the EU comic series, id love for this game to do well so that Fox greenlights more AAA video games based on the Alien and Predator properties.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome OT, Bowl! If you want to take anything from my thread of EGX, which has a summary of what was said, you are very welcome to. This game better be successful, I want more horror games!

EGM1966

Just going to quote you cause you spoke of a scene that "i'm" actually conflicted about.

Yes i know it's not in the original, but still,..

Alien:
She discovers Dallas, stuck like a fly on the wall surrounded by Alien love juice.
Aliens:
(can't remember if it was Burke, Gorman or Hicks)...
But, someone askes Ripley if she has seen anything like this before, when they are looking at the monitors.
She replies, No.

Not a major thing, but i haven't actually heard anyone talk about this in the Alien Universe and/or forums.

Any insight?
Maybe i've just missed something.. *shrugs*...
Cameron based his script on theatrical cut and chose to alter the implied lifecycle to include Queen hence disavowing any notion of Ripley finding Dallas cocooned: in short as far as Aliens is concerned that never happened and when she says "no" it's accurate.

Even Scott says the dire tors cut is really a curio for fans not the definitive cut: that remains the theatrical cut.

JDHarbs

as a Alien and Predator fan thats read most of the EU comic series, id love for this game to do well so that Fox greenlights more AAA video games based on the Alien and Predator properties.
I'd personally love to see a Predator game using this same Amnesia-like formula. If Isolation turns out well, I want to see CA have a chance at one.

Linconan

Cameron based his script on theatrical cut and chose to alter the implied lifecycle to include Queen hence disavowing any notion of Ripley finding Dallas cocooned: in short as far as Aliens is concerned that never happened and when she says "no" it's accurate.

Even Scott says the dire tors cut is really a curio for fans not the definitive cut: that remains the theatrical cut.

Yeah but i was just wondering if the Fans,
justified it somehow.lol
Freak Alien..Ripley suffered from amnesia.
..lol

Cause that'd be the same for this game if not justified, for Ripley's child. And yet, this might bring more conflict, since set inbetween Alien and Aliens.

Looks like i'll have to justify it somehow still, to make myself sleep better at night. lol

SURGEdude

Looks surprisingly good on last gen from what I've played so far. Though there is some nasty tearing on 360 and a few spots where loading and the like causes some pretty serious framerate dips. Only about an hour and a half in at this point but having lots of fun. The atmosphere is great, and navigation is not as frustrating as I had worried earlier.

The story and acting is pretty good as well. Love the VHS look to many of the cutscenes. Creative Assembly looks to have done a great job. Looking forward to another playthrough on PC or PS4.

Astral

Looks surprisingly good on last gen from what I've played so far. Though there is some nasty tearing on 360 and a few spots where loading and the like causes some pretty serious framerate dips. Only about an hour and a half in at this point but having lots of fun. The atmosphere is great, and navigation is not as frustrating as I had worried earlier.

The story and acting is pretty good as well. Love the VHS look to many of the cutscenes. Creative Assembly looks to have done a great job. Looking forward to another playthrough on PC or PS4.

Dude play the SHIT out of this game and keep us updated. I'm not even waiting for Smash Bros. on Friday anymore. I'm waiting for this damn review embargo to lift.

Looks like i'll have to justify it somehow still, to make myself sleep better at night. lol

You can say that when she was asked "have you ever seen anything like this" he's referring to the hive in general, and the level of construction.

What she'd seen in that ALIEN scene isn't really comparable to that at all. She saw Brett turning into an egg, and Dallas on his way there too. She didn't see an entire structure turned into a giant Giger-esque hive with multiple victims plugged into the walls waiting to have their chests burst.

So there's a justification you can use :)

(and yeah, nobody really needs to see any other movie than ALIEN to be "prepped" for playing this game.)

SURGEdude

Dude play the SHIT out of this game and keep us updated. I'm not even waiting for Smash Bros. on Friday anymore. I'm waiting for this damn review embargo to lift.

Just one quick thing to add for 360 owners. This is on 2 discs and has a mandatory 6GB install of the 1st disc. So arcade people are gonna need extra storage to run this sucker.

Linconan

You can say that when she was asked "have you ever seen anything like this" he's referring to the hive in general, and the level of construction.

What she'd seen in that ALIEN scene isn't really comparable to that at all. She saw Brett turning into an egg, and Dallas on his way there too. She didn't see an entire structure turned into a giant Giger-esque hive with multiple victims plugged into the walls waiting to have their chests burst.

So there's a justification you can use :)

(and yeah, nobody really needs to see any other movie than ALIEN to be "prepped" for playing this game.)
GIFSoup

So does the preorder version come with both Alien DLC episodes no matter where you get it? Crew Expendable and Last Survivor?

SURGEdude

Heads-up:

Pick up all the crafting supplies early in the game. They come in handy later and are easy to ignore until you need them. Wish the game put more emphasis on picking them up before the mechanic to use them arrives.

The way reviewers have been hinting at their opinions of this game, it's either really, really good or really, really bad.

The anticipation is killing me.

Top Bottom