• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Blackout - A Mobile Game with Amanda Ripley (Updated: Read OP)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Well Reset closed the announcement thread, cleared it and thr mods issued a statement that wining will results in warnings and bans, so... Kinda?
Give it a day, the (s)hit pieces will follow

Such a joke, opinions, what are those?

Fucking propaganda site. I guess that's what happens when three or four of your admins work in the game industry as a community manager PR, financial analyst, and developers.

Last edited:

nkarafo

So... after the franchise managed to rise from it's ashes with Alien Isolation, after the Colonial Marines fiasco, this is how it's going to die for good?

Masatshi

well shit... but there is still hope for the "shooter MMO" from Cold Iron Studios... but I think an MMO shooter is not exactly the best fit for a scary xenomorph-game, but we will see.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Like others, I look forward to the 'gamers are bad' hit pieces by the usual scum.

Bwahahahahaha, this is absurdly disappointing.

And here I was hoping that we might get a proper sequel to Isolation, but it sounded too good to be true and it was.

I just wish Isolation's ending wasn't so abrupt, which seemed to imply more was to come, if only it had more of a real ending it would be easier to accept it as a standalone thing.

I bet it will be like Alien Isolation but with multiple xenomorphs. Like Alien to Aliens.

Um,
Alien Isolation already had multiple xenomorphs

is RE secretly owned by some media or gaming company now?

I wouldn't be surprised, I think a lot of these SJW type crap in gaming is stealth social engineering by businesses.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't be surprised, I think a lot of these SJW type crap in gaming is stealth social engineering by businesses.

I posted in another thread about this actually. It is enormously coincidental that the consumers most likely to tell them to fuck off re microtransactions etc are the ones being demonised by a gaming press which seems increasingly to be on the side of the industry rather than the consumer.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I posted in another thread about this actually. It is enormously coincidental that the consumers most likely to tell them to fuck off re microtransactions etc are the ones being demonised by a gaming press which seems increasingly to be on the side of the industry rather than the consumer.
Ostracise your existing customers. Seems like a sound business strategy. What could possibly go wrong?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
hqdefault.jpg

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Ostracise your existing customers. Seems like a sound business strategy. What could possibly go wrong?

The gamble they're making is that they'll make more from customers who don't realise games used to come as a complete package without microtransactions for an aiming reticle.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Not much to say, my interest in this Alien game was just killed. I don't care for playing anything on a touchscreen, click if you're interested.
https://d3go.com/games/alienblackout/
SURVIVE OR DIE
Using only the space station’s limited power supply to operate a holographic map, surveillance cameras, and motion tracker, attempt to remain hidden and protect your crew from the perfect hunter in seven fear-inducing levels.

A NEW CHAPTER IN THE ALIEN FRANCHISE
A new chapter in the Alien franchise following the saga of Amanda Ripley, Ellen Ripley’s daughter, between the films Alien and Aliens.

FIRST CLASS ALIEN MOBILE EXPERIENCE
An immersive and captivating Alien experience, perfectly designed for mobile gaming, bringing the Alien story to life.

ENCOUNTER FEAR AGAIN AND AGAIN
Every decision can lead to a different conclusion. Players can test different strategies and theories to outlast the Xenomorph in pursuit of victory!

There is an upcoming game for dedicated gaming machines, but it doesn't look like we'll be getting another horror Alien title in the foreseeable future.
https://segmentnext.com/2019/01/08/foxnext-games-alien-blackout/
“FoxNext Games’ studio, Cold Iron Studios, is also currently at work on a massively multiplayer online shooter set in the Alien cinematic universe for consoles and PC.”

Shooting at xenos is the last thing I want to do with them.

Last edited:

It could be coincidence, anti-gamer websites taking the stance of whatever is the opposite of most gamers' stance on something (if gamers said don't jump off a bridge, the staff at Kotaku would be lining up on the nearest bridge)

But it's highly fishy.

Doczu

It could be coincidence, anti-gamer websites taking the stance of whatever is the opposite of most gamers' stance on something (if gamers said don't jump off a bridge, the staff at Kotaku would be lining up on the nearest bridge)

But it's highly fishy.
It's a mix of both. The hope for massive clicks when they slap gamers with ridiculous articles, tweets and videos and on top of that they suck corporate dongs for which they are paid to do. ANd because lately both of these worlds collided...

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
You don't have to want to play it, but let's wait and see if Blackout is any good first before calling it the devil incarnate, shall we? The only concern I have is that it might include the classic F2P grind. If it is free, hopefully it's more like Super Mario Run and other titles where you pay once to unlock everything.

As for Cold Iron's game... you do know that the movie Aliens is all about shooting, and that some of the best game experiences in the franchise (the Alien vs. Predator game for the Jaguar and the Alien Doom mod) were shooters, right? So long as it's not another Colonial Marines, it'll probably be fine.

GenericUser

Guess gamers didn't deserve isolation.

You don't have to want to play it, but let's wait and see if Blackout is any good first before calling it the devil incarnate, shall we?

No offense, but it's a mobile game, how good can it be honestly? I don't have to taste a pile of shit to know that I won't like it.

Last edited:

DonF

Is Alien : Isolation as good as people say? I have it on my backlog and never bothered to play more than the first 15 minutes. It just felt cumbersome.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Is Alien : Isolation as good as people say? I have it on my backlog and never bothered to play more than the first 15 minutes. It just felt cumbersome.

I loved it, but I'm a huge fan of the original movie. They really nail the setting. Works well as a game, though it's definitely way too long. I think if you got fed up in 15 minutes you wouldn't have much fun beyond that.

TeamGhobad

Banned

its one of the best games of the generation imo. Very well polished. Production values up the wazoo. Its one of those games that got passed over cause it was a launch game and people's expectations were too high of what the nexgen could offer. Had this game come out 2 years later it would have been a mega hit.

DonF

I loved it, but I'm a huge fan of the original movie. They really nail the setting. Works well as a game, though it's definitely way too long. I think if you got fed up in 15 minutes you wouldn't have much fun beyond that.

I'm a huge fan of the original movie, I'll give it another try! Maybe I was burned out at the time, I just didn't bother with the game.

its one of the best games of the generation imo. Very well polished. Production values up the wazoo. Its one of those games that got passed over cause it was a launch game and people's expectations were too high of what the nexgen could offer. Had this game come out 2 years later it would have been a mega hit.

Ok, you guys convinced me to give it another shot. I remember that they nailed the look and feel of the original movie.

Last edited:

MayauMiao

When I read "mobile game" I immediately lost interest. I expect micro transactions, loot box, so on.

Probably less gory too because mobile games.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm a huge fan of the original movie, I'll give it another try! Maybe I was burned at the time, I just didn't bother with the game.

Ok, you guys convinced me to give it another shot. I remember that they nailed the look and feel of the original movie.

Watch the first movie, and then jump in the game.

Skyfox

Massive, massive fan of the first game.

When rumors of a sequel started to float my expectations were extremely low. The original team weren’t kept around so we may never see another game like it again sadly.

I’m strangely fine with this being mobile because a full console release was bound to be a disappointment and would have come at great expense for everyone involved.

I would like a decent game on my mobile (I have a vita a 3ds and a switch but there are times I only have access to my mobile). So I’ll be getting this on January 24th once it has less than 2 add-on purchases. I’ll pay up to 17 quid if it looks semi-decent. If it’s riddled with micro transactions I’ll just watch a YouTube video.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Though it was generally well-polished, the opening scene actually has a game-breaking bug that was pretty easy to encounter, and was never patched. Can't remember what circumstances caused the bug, but it completely prevents the player from being able to further progress. Just a quick restart since it's only in that first scene.

You don't have to want to play it, but let's wait and see if Blackout is any good first before calling it the devil incarnate, shall we? The only concern I have is that it might include the classic F2P grind. If it is free, hopefully it's more like Super Mario Run and other titles where you pay once to unlock everything.

As for Cold Iron's game... you do know that the movie Aliens is all about shooting, and that some of the best game experiences in the franchise (the Alien vs. Predator game for the Jaguar and the Alien Doom mod) were shooters, right? So long as it's not another Colonial Marines, it'll probably be fine.

True, we are not obligated to play it, but it’s probably disappointing for people anticipating a sequel on a console or pc. Compared to the original, it’s a mobile game that uses touchscreen controls? Personally, I don’t really enjoy big scale console sequels on cellphones when they will most likely be scaled down visually and gameplay-wise as well as be filled with obligatory micro transactions. It feels like Diablo all over again.

Last edited:

autoduelist

Let me put it this way: if Alien is a stunning display of Art, its sequel is a stunning display of Craftsmanship

- Miniatures for the drop ship and colony structures were utilized to great effect
- Depending on the level of action required, the aliens were depicted either by costumed actors or animatronic/puppet props
500px-Aliens-gale-ann-hurd.jpg

- James Cameron was in his prime, using filmmaking techniques like rear screen projection and reverse photography (for example the POV shot of the facehugger attacking Ripley is in reverse)
- Despite its reputation as an action movie, the film understood to never show the alien in a well lit environment. Something that Alien 3, Alien Resurrection, and Alien Covenant all failed to comply with.
- The movie feels like it takes place in the same universe as Alien, technology wise. The motion tracker introduced in the first movie feels like a natural progression of the more basic one shown in the first. The grungy utilitarian blue collar vibe is on full display. Contrast this to Prometheus which showcases all kinds of high tech despite taking place BEFORE Alien.
queenminature.jpg

- Most important of all, the storytelling never tries to delve into the origins of the creature. It keeps it a mystery. Critics of Aliens say it ruined the creature by just making it a glorified bug. On the contrary, the creatures show tremendous intelligence (cutting power, operating elevators) despite only being a few weeks old. Furthermore, nothing about the Queen existing suggests its the only method of reproduction. It could have easily been a Company experiment, a one-off. They literally show that they have live samples of the creatures in the medical bay and were experimenting on them.

btsalienstitan2_large.jpg

I can totally understanding liking Alien 1 more than 2. Alien is a one-of-a-kind existential gothic masterpiece. A masterclass. But to like Aliens less than 3, Resurrection, AVP, Prometheus, and Convenant is a display of incredibly shit taste.

BTW: friendly reminder that Amanda Ripley was introduced in Aliens. Every time you boot up Isolation, you're taking a piece of Aliens with you at all times.

Great post.

Alien is one of the best horror movies ever made.
Aliens is one of the best action movies ever made.

Together, they are iconic, defining films of the 70s and 80s that not only still hold up, but put many modern films to shame.

I actually enjoy the rest... I have always had a love of 3 even though so many dont, and could appreciate resurrection despite some severe missteps. AVP has always been a bit too campy for me, despite loving both franchises independently.

OMG, Why !!!??? Mobile game?? what are you guys doing..?? Obviously I see the potential to make paper in Mobile world but what they did with Isolation was special.

Alien horror gm by these devs was just perfect and they dont come around very often..and we all know about the major miserable fails in this franchise that were attempted.

Mobile gaming isn't ruining the game industry. Publishers are ruining the game industry. Mobile gaming is just the instrument of their ruination.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Sadly not what i wished it was. I still need to get Alien Isolation somewhere, if only because its one of the better technical (not performing wise though) cross-gen ports and the only first person title on PS360 to include PBR rendering.

Akira1983

Banned
I normally just ignore mobile gaming and let the people who enjoy it enjoy it

But we aren’t exactly getting amazing AAA licensed alien games like ever so this fucking stings

Isolation was so good. Fuck

FUCK

Fbh

"Game over man! Game over! What the fuck are we going to do now? What are we gonna do?"

"Open this weird box of course. The data log on the ship says it has a 1 in 2000 chance of providing an item that will fix all our problems!!!... And look, it's only $1!!!!"

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Its great. Its the kind of game that makes you feel like a scared little bitch and makes you love every second of it.

makaveli60

The only thing because of which I don't care that the next Alien game is a mobile one is that Alien Isolation was the perfect videogame based on the franchise. I can't imagine a better Alien game (except for the insane shimmering).

Top Bottom