• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

strafer

Reposting this gif because I love it. (From the EGX Let's Play video)

HatefulZestyDove.gif

Thanks Lettuce for the gif.

hudsonqykz3.gif

Omni

I have a question, so what exactly happens when you shoot the xenomorph with a gun? I've been curious ever since I heard there was going to be firearms in this game.
Maybe it would run away?

It's not like you could kill it. Otherwise there'd be no game :lol

Catdaddy

I have a question, so what exactly happens when you shoot the xenomorph with a gun? I've been curious ever since I heard there was going to be firearms in this game.

One of the previews said its a bad idea, it bleeds acid and the gun will probably just make it really angry. Also, ammo is very limited; so I'm guessing its for the remaining people and maybe the 'aritifical humans'?

Wait a minute...

THIS GAME HAS COMBAT? I thought this was supposed to be like Amnesia.

I would say: this game needs combat.
Can you imagine spend an entire game running from 1 Alien? It could become boring, and that's why the sequences with humans and androids, more focused on action, are very important to keep the game fresh.

I have to admit I wanted the OT thread to be:

Alien Isolation [OT] Get away from her (my daughter) you b@#$%

For those who don't remember, it is a line from Aliens in reference to Ripley trying to protect Newt.

Can you imagine spend an entire game running from 1 Alien? It could become boring, and that's why the sequences with humans and androids, more focused on action, are very important to keep the game fresh.
Held my attention in Amnesia. :)

antitrop

I have to admit I wanted the OT thread to be:

Alien Isolation [OT] Get away from her (my daughter) you b@#$%

For those who don't remember, it is a line from Aliens in reference to Ripley trying to protect Newt.

Shinobi got a GIF of that in within the first 5 replies, so I think that's good enough.

I'll admit- I've stayed pretty much in the dark for this one, patiently waiting for impressions. After being burned by the past few bad Alien(s) games, I just didn't have the heart to get hyped for this.

I broke down earlier this week.

I watched the EGX Developer Session and as much as I really hope this game is good (I'm a hair-trigger away from ordering), it just seemed like an exercise in frustration from what I saw.
Not sure if the demo's difficulty was jacked up for some fun live reactions or if the people were playing it 'wrong', but it seemed pretty much everyone that played died within the first two minutes.

Creep around, hide for a second, alien appears out of nowhere, blast alien with flame thrower (or let it wander off), run, get killed when alien appears out of nowhere again behind you.
I understand that this creature is using air ducts/passageways and is quick, but it seemed like it was always in the vicinity of your character, even if you are hauling ass up multiple levels.

Hopefully there is a good bit of exploration (calm moments to soak in the phenomenal detail) and puzzle solving, because if it's just hide-and-seek with a xenomorph for a couple hours I don't think this game is for me. Not a fan of the Outlast-style horror games or running/hiding/INTENSE MUSIC OH FUCK horror games.

Jobbs

Banned
You can but Xbox One pre-loads have a "problem" where by changing your time-zone/region unlocks the game earlier if you change it to a time zone the game is unlocked in.

Basically, I'll get the game early.

so you're switching platforms just to get it a few hours sooner? Do we know if the XB1 and PS4 are identical?

npa189

Please be good, alien deserves at least one good game. I'm going to wait and see what console looks/runs better. I know it will probably be PS4, but I've really been enjoying my X1 lately. I could also try and get the last of of my gtx 670 with this.

so you're switching platforms just to get it a few hours sooner? Do we know if the XB1 and PS4 are identical?

Well, for a college student, I'm hoping to maximize playtime by getting it as early as possible.
Oh and yes, it was reported long ago that PS4 and Xbox One are both 1080p.

spannicus

Developers said no noticeable differences between the two. Been sayin both will run in 1080p for the longest. Ready to preload on x1. Was contemplating ps4 for remote play.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I'll admit- I've stayed pretty much in the dark for this one, patiently waiting for impressions. After being burned by the past few bad Alien(s) games, I just didn't have the heart to get hyped for this.

I watched the EGX Developer Session and as much as I really hope this game is good (I'm a hair-trigger away from ordering), it just seemed like an exercise in frustration from what I saw.
Not sure if the demo's difficulty was jacked up for some fun live reactions or if the people were playing it 'wrong', but it seemed pretty much everyone that played died within the first two minutes.

Creep around, hide for a second, alien appears out of nowhere, blast alien with flame thrower (or let it wander off), run, get killed when alien appears out of nowhere again behind you.
I understand that this creature is using air ducts/passageways and is quick, but it seemed like it was always in the vicinity of your character, even if you are hauling ass up multiple levels.

Hopefully there is a good bit of exploration (calm moments to soak in the phenomenal detail) and puzzle solving, because if it's just hide-and-seek with a xenomorph for a couple hours I don't think this game is for me. Not a fan of the Outlast-style horror games or running/hiding/INTENSE MUSIC OH FUCK horror games.

the demo was kind of "survival mode". if i understood it correct.

That demo is a special challenge mode and not the main story mode. It's supposed to be a short sharp points based face to face race to the end versus the Alien.

The challenge maps have a much more aggressive alien ai. They said that in one of those videos.

Astral

This is what I'm worried about too. I know it was a challenge mode but the alien seemed to be teleporting behind the player at times. It looked cheap and very luck-based. Then again, there was that guy who beat it on his first try. I just hope success doesn't come down to trial and error or exploiting the A.I.

The challenge maps have a much more aggressive alien ai. They said that in one of those videos.

Aggressive? As in, the Alien is smarter or it just a difficulty slider that makes it even more sensitive to player movement regardless if it can sense the player or not? Because that is essentially a chainball design that does nothing but provide players less advantage with nothing to compensate any more different than "Expert" mode in shooters giving enemies godlike awareness and aim.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!

Exactly, horror games without combat are just hide-and-seek simulators.

Lettuce

Reposting this gif because I love it. (From the EGX Let's Play video)

HatefulZestyDove.gif

Thanks Lettuce for the gif.

that was the moment when the guy playing tried to talk to the alien XD..i laughed so hard.
i like the way the alien behaves. it does not just jump you, it "thinks" about you for a second..before it kills you.

No probs!!

Chance are she wont actual kill you. She's currently a drone so more than likely lobotomizes you and then drags you off to her nest for impregnation. She will eventually become a queen if no other Aliens are in the vicinity so natural instinct will be to reproduce her species.

Have played about an hour of the 360 version and havent seen the Alien yet but the atmosphere seems really good so far, think it will be a good game. Noticed that the frame rate seems to be choppy in the cut scenes but actually playing seems fine!, oh the whole its impressive for a last gen game and obviously doesn't look no where near as good as current gen...thats a given but think people who still havent made the jump will enjoy it never the less

No props!!

Chance are she wont actual kill you. She's currently a drone so more than likely lobotomizes you and then drags you off to her nest for impregnation. She will eventually become a queen if no other Aliens in the vicinity so natural instinct will be to reproduce her species

Isn't this based on the original Alien, where the concept of a queen didn't exist?

Lettuce

Isn't this based on the original Alien, where the concept of a queen didn't exist?

Well this is the thing, in Alien the directors cut (or whatever its called), when Ripley discovers Dallas, he asks her to kill him...why would he be asked to be killed?,surely he would say, 'Ripley get me the fuck out of here' not 'Kill me!'. Which suggests his been impregnated and the drone is in fact becoming a queen, this actual happen in nature i believe ants or bee can turn from a drone ant to a queen ant if no queen is in their current colony.....there a technical term for it but cant remember what its called....'rave' something

Well this is the thing, in Alien the directors cut (or whatever its called), when Ripley discovers Dallas, he asks her to kill him...why would he be asked to be killed?,surely he would say, 'Ripley get me the fuck out of here' not 'Kill me!'. Which suggests his been impregnated and the drone is in fact becoming a queen, this actual happen in nature i believe ants or bee can turn from a drone ant to a queen ant if no queen is in their current colony.....there a technical term for it but cant remember what its called....'rave' something

I'm going to get all geeky now:

The scene in the director's cut of Alien shows Brett and Dallas being converted into eggs. Brett is much further along and looks similar to the eggs from the derelict.
The assumption is that isolated sterile drones can somehow convert victims into eggs to reproduce; it would make sense for the eggs to be queens to enable new colonies to be spawned from a single lost drone.

Kaversmed

There are no real explanations of what is going on in that deleted scene but I don't think a Queen was hinted at here, I think you are trying to connect the dots a little too much. In the scene you can see that Dallas and Brett has been cocooned and has started transforming into something that clearly looks like an egg, hence why Dallas wants to be killed. I know it doesn't make any biological sense, from an earthly perspective, but this is Alien we're talking about - it's not supposed to make sense.

Lettuce

I'm going to get all geeky now:

The scene in the director's cut of Alien shows Brett and Dallas being converted into eggs. Brett is much further along and looks similar to the eggs from the derelict.
The assumption is that isolated sterile drones can somehow convert victims into eggs to reproduce; it would make sense for the eggs to be queens to enable new colonies to be spawned from a single lost drone.

Damn thats going to be a big egg.

Wonder if the Queen can decide weather to 'shit' out a queen egg or not, as the Alien inside Ripley in Alien3 was a queen so seems to suggest that the Queen can select what type of egg to produce

There are no real explanation of what is going on in that deleted scene but I don't think a Queen was hinted at here, I think you are trying to connect the dots a little too much. In the scene you can see that Dallas and Brett has been cocooned and has started transforming into something that clearly looks like an egg, hence why Dallas wants to be killed. I know it doesn't make any biological sense, from an earthly perspective, but this is Alien we're talking about - it's not supposed to make sense.

Exactly, it implies the egg-shaped things in the chamber weren't necessarily laid by anything.

Daximuss

Good work on the OT, Visceral.
I'm excited about this coming out next week, but at the same time I remember the disaster that was Colonial Marines.
Being a big "Aliens" fan, I hope to hell this is a decent game.

Juraash

I had gotten so wrapped up in Destiny I had totally forgotten that this game was out so soon.

I desperately hope it's good. I've always, always preferred the Alien style of things over Aliens (though I like them both). This is the Alien franchise game I've been waiting for. If Isolation is scary, unpredictable and has a remotely good story I'll be very happy.

Kaversmed

No props!!

I gave you props, man. Look under the gif ;)

Damn thats going to be a big egg.

Wonder if the Queen can decide weather to 'shit' out a queen egg or not, as the Alien inside Ripley in Alien3 was a queen so seems to suggest that the Queen can select what type of egg to produce

Again, I think you are trying to connect the dots a little too much. You shouldn't watch 'Alien' and at the same time think how it ties in with 'Aliens', 'Alien3' or "Aliens: Resurrection' etc.

'Alien' was a standalone film that established a universe and lore. Cameron made his own interpretation with the sequel 'Aliens' but that doesn't necessarily mean that his interpretation applies to Scott's initial vision.

Top Bottom