• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All-new PlayStation Plus launches in June with three flexible membership options

octiny

Banned
This is Spartacus?

nC1mStJ.png

6mYKVuF.png

yurinka

That is pretty good. But for how long?
Seems that at launch your remaining months of Now will be transfered to PS+ Premium at launch. Once you run out you'll have to renew, if paying the yearly fee at $9.99/month. This is the same price of a current PS Now month, the only option available right now to buy PS Now.

So the people who had PS Now, for the same price they paid now will get on top PS+, the demos and PS1, PSP and PS5 games.

PS Now members. Where is the part about current PS Plus members?
PS+ Essential replaces the current PS+: has the same content, same pricing, same everything. You won't need to do anything to migrate because it's the same.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
How did they test the feature and/or get the numbers?
If gamers cant actually play a bunch of titles in BC logically the numbers will say people arent playing a bunch of games in BC.
I"m pretty sure Sony has the actual playtime usage per game for all native and BC games.
The quote come from Jimbo.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Hmm, interesting.

I'll probably stick with the base plan but will have to see what PS4/PS5 games are available in the mid-tier.

The PSP element in the premium package is intriguing. For instance, if I can play Phantasy Star Online 2 with dual analog and voice chat I'd probably get it, especially if a community forms around it. That could be a lot of fun.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I wouldn't personally pay it monthly, but for people who are restricted to doing so, it rips them off and takes advantage.

I will not hear the argument that someone can afford $18 a month for a service with both "plus" and "premium" in the name but can't save up $120 to save themselves $96 in the long run. That person should sell their premium console and sort their finances out before they're on the streets.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Hmm, interesting.

I'll probably stick with the base plan but will have to see what PS4/PS5 games are available in the mid-tier.

The PSP element in the premium package is intriguing. For instance, if I can play Phantasy Star Online 2 with dual analog and voice chat. I'd probably get it, especially if a community forms around it, that could be a lot of fun.

Hard trying to imagine playing a PSP game on my 55" LG OLED

hemo memo

Gold Member
$18 a month for their highest tier and they don't give you first party games day and date 🤮
Personally I am not disappointed as I expected it because Bloomberg wrote about it before and I will go for Extra or Delux but Gamepass value is honestly insane and MS knew exactly that Sony and Nintendo both can’t match that.

Mephisto40

The only option for games prior to PS4 is steaming. That hasn't changed.
It's clearly not the only option though is it, the PS5 is more than capable of running PS1 and PS2 emulators that play the games's ISO from the console itself

If my Raspberry Pi can do it i'm sure the PS5 can

Orpheum

Idk man. i was hoping they would merge PS+ and retro streaming and put the price tag at somewhat around 80€. whether i'll pay 120€ for the highest tier really depens on the catalogue they're offering for downloadable games.

ByWatterson

I'm trying to reconcile the disappointment some are expressing here. What was it that folks thought they were getting with this? Why does this suck? It isn't amazing news, no, but it isn't bad news either. It is a service restructure which doesn't change anything for those who choose not to change.

It's not that we expected different, but rather that it's as bad as we could have imagined. It's disappointing to see the worst assumptions validated.

Conveys more than ever that they're not fully grappling with how the ground is moving under their feet. Change happens slowly and then all at once. This is simply not a competitive move, and given how much time they've had to observe Game Pass, enormously underwhelming.

Midn1ght

The PS Plus Extra tier is interesting I guess for the 400+ games but are they gonna be accessible at launch or in the coming months?
PS3 being streaming only is disapointing but expected. Being able to just slide a PS3 disk into a PS5 and have it work would have been amazing but I don't think it'll ever happen.

Online play and specially Cloud Saving still being behind a paywall is disappointing tho, I'll never get used to it.

Last edited:

yurinka

Offers absolutely nothing I am interested in.... but maybe useful for people new to the ecosystem.

I think they should just ditch streaming, waste of time.
I think some people will use streaming useful specially in the future, once they implement their patents to make it run on phones or tablets over 5G.

While on vacations or while commuting you will be able to play PS1,PS2, PS3, PS4, PS5, PSP games in a phone or tablet using a joycon like controller or a DS. Which sounds nice.

Last edited:
I will not hear the argument that someone can afford $18 a month for a service with both "plus" and "premium" in the name but can't save up $120 to save themselves $96 in the long run. That person should sell their premium console and sort their finances about before they're on the streets.
The best selling "videogames" on Amazon are 10 dollar gift cards and 1 month PS+ cards. A ton of people can't afford to pay anything upfront, so they spend 10 bucks a month. Being poor is expensive, always has been.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

The blog didn’t mention enhancements. Anything been stated on that?

I don’t like them withholding the game list too. I’m not buying anything else till I see the list.

It's not that we expected different, but rather that it's as bad as we could have imagined. It's disappointing to see the worst assumptions validated.

Conveys more than ever that they're not fully grappling with how the ground is moving under their feet. Change happens slowly and then all at once. This is simply not a competitive move, and given how much time they've had to observe Game Pass, enormously underwhelming.

Lol no. There's a reason no one, not just Sony, has copied MS with day one titles. And it's not due to lack of observation

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Disappointed that PS3 games are streaming only. Is it really that hard to get an option to download PS3 games? Beside that, depending on the list of games available from previous generations, I might take up the most expensive option.

More options is good.

But that's expensive as hell and PS3 games being cloud only... and locked to the more expensive tier... ouch.

LordCBH

I need to see which PS1, 2, and PSP titles will be available, and if the quality of them will be any good. If they’re half assed like the PS1 Classic then they can kiss my ass

Topher

Gold Member

Nah....come on now. The only way this was going to match Game Pass was if Sony committed all its first party games to it day one. There was never any indication at all that was going to happen. Jim Ryan made it clear previously that model didn't fit their business.

So if not first party games day one, what were you expecting? You say this is "worst assumptions validated". What were the best expectations outside of day one first party?

Swift_Star

Banned

They don't need to compete with Gamepass.

Varteras

Gold Member
So the $120 a year I was already paying for PS Plus and PS Now is now going to also give me timed trials and classic games. Noice.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
Is it as good as Gamepass in terms of content? No, not in my opinion. Is it still worth it? Probably. I'll need to see exactly what games are included in the more expensive tiers before I decide 100% if I'm gonna sub or not, but the chance to play a buncha PS1/2/PSP games, and stream some PS3 games is huge. I also don't think $120 a year is unreasonable. Hell, I'm paying $18 or some shit to Netflix every month and I barely even touch it. (I know, I know, I should cancel. My wife just loves all the trash romcoms)

I don't need day and date release, provided they make it to the service eventually. I'll wait a year to play GoW Ragnarok, Horizon, etc if they eventually make their way. My backlog is big enough as it is.

Boss Mog

Pretty nice that they kept the yearly options, I expect getting extra or premium at 40-50% off msrp to be possible.

yurinka

PlayStation Now subscribers are converted to the highest tier for free. PS Now is only $60 for a year so buy that in May and you get your first year of PS+ Premium for $60.
At least here in Europe there is only available the opttion to get 1 month of PS Now for $9.99, which is the same deal you'll get by buying a year of PS+ Premium. With the difference that until the new tiers get released right now you have to buy PS+ separatedly.

Not at the moment. But that day is rapidly approaching, and they're not ready.
Months before starting Sony already has 2X the amount of subscribers, with no multiyear upgrades for $1 or offers of 3 months of the PC one for free. Sony has way more people on they subscriptions and are generating way more money from them than MS.

And on top of that Sony also makes way more money than MS from hardware and specially software sales. Resuling on Sony's game business making more revenue and profits than MS specially considering they didn't need to invest almost $100B on acquisitions or to almost give away day one their AAA games.

Sony is the top dog to beat, and they are growing their revenue and investments in all their areas. Sony is more than ready.

Is it as good as Gamepass in terms of content? No, not in my opinion.
We'll have to see the list of games included. They mentioned Returnal, Morales, Spider-Man, GoW, Death Stranding or MK11, and remember the ones already available in the PS+ Collection. They have a lot of top tier 1st party material from all generations not available on Gamepass, if they include it on PS+ will have an impressive unique selling poin MS won't be able to match.

Regarding day one games, we'll have to see if the extended game trials work like in EA Play: 10 hours trial of their own new games day one. Won't be the same than including the whole game but would be a great bonus for many.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
More options is good.

But that's expensive as hell and PS3 games being cloud only... and locked to the more expensive tier... ouch.

Yearly for top tier its -$80 cheaper than a year of Gamepass Ultimate and has more games available.

Also ask yourself would you rather play something like Miles Morales, Returnal on a service or Halo infinite, Psychonaughts 2, FORZA?

If you want quality you pay for it. But it still is cheaper and gives you more access with middle tier than a year of Gamepass Ultimate.

ByWatterson

Nah....come on now. The only way this was going to match Game Pass was if Sony committed all its first party games to it day one. There was never any indication at all that was going to happen. Jim Ryan made it clear previously that model didn't fit their business.

So if not first party games day one, what were you expecting? You say this is "worst assumptions validated". What were the best expectations outside of day one first party?

Not expectations, but hoped for:
- Boosting of older titles
- PS3 emulation
- Discussion of major third-party titles at launch
- Promise of building first-party library (instead of the "refreshed" one they're mentioning, which certainly means first party titles for limited time frames, as is currently the case on PS Now)

DJ12

Gamepass has been a thing for years, meanwhile ps5s are still selling out within hours of showing up in shops and sonys profits continue to rise.

You overplay the impact of gamepass. Just because it appeals to you clearly doesn't mean its for everyone.

Gamepass if it were all it's supporters make out should already be at 100 million+ subs as it would be too good for pc owners to ignore. The reality is so far from this viewpoint though, I think some of you need to get your heads checked.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Yearly for top tier its -$80 cheaper than a year of Gamepass Ultimate and has more games available.

Also ask yourself would you rather play something like Miles Morales, Returnal on a service or Halo infinite, Psychonaughts 2, FORZA?

If you want quality you pay for it. But it still is cheaper and gives you more access with middle tier than a year of Gamepass Ultimate.
I want to play all of those games.

reinking

Gold Member
I'm trying to reconcile the disappointment some are expressing here. What was it that folks thought they were getting with this? Why does this suck? It isn't amazing news, no, but it isn't bad news either. It is a service restructure which doesn't change anything for those who choose not to change.
I get a sense that many of the people bitching are not planning to use the service anyway and some of them probably do not even have a PS4/PS5.

This changes nothing for me since they left PS+ alone. I think no "day one" is a legitimate complaint but nobody should have been expecting that based on Sony's stance. Maybe the PS3 games still streaming? Again, nobody should have been expecting that since it is obviously a hardware limitation.

This was a smart move by Sony. They didn't rock the current boat, opened up revenue opportunities and combines sub numbers.

Chukhopops

In the end I’m curious if this will fix the other issues with PSNow (freshness of the catalog, a lot of first party missing or added for short periods, quality). Are the emulated games going to see some enhancements?

Not enough info at this point.

Top Bottom