• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All-new PlayStation Plus launches in June with three flexible membership options

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
So, in short, the only thing that would make it worthwhile, being Day 1 games, isn’t happening.
People really seem to be missing the fact that this includes the PS Plus service you're all already buying, which makes it a whole lot cheaper than GamePass, which is a separate service. Frankly, if you have PlayStation and play online already, the extra $40 a year for the next tier up is a no brainer.

ksdixon

OK, so what does this mean for PS Now for PC? I only use PS Now on PC @ £8.99.
Well, Android has a few PS apps. Remote Play is still seperate, but they re-incorporated the previously spun-out PS Meesages app's functionality back into the main PS App. Wish they'd recombine remote play too.

I imagine PC will get a properly built PS App to cover everything all in one spot.

Doesn't PS Now already have 700 games on it now? And we're only getting 700 plus games at launch, which will be split up between PS1, PS2, PSP, PS3, PS4 and PS5. So, does that mean they're actually removing a lot of the games that are already on PS Now to make way for other games? That means we're not getting better value.... unless the games they give us are better quality.

I'm not sure why they can't give us more than just 700 games, considering there are already over 700 games on PS Now. Surely they could have bumped it up to around 1000?

They're going to have to give us a game list sooner or later so we can compare.

Faithless83

Banned
There wasn't anything like gamepass before of it ...in the gaming industry
Actually no.
4pqRFsS.png

We had SEGA Channel where you could download games for a subscription fee (like gamepass).

and again streaming isn't what gamepass is doing stop being obtuse. Psnow was basically Onlive with some ps games available in some regions that's it. Gamepass is a day one release service with an instant library where you can choose how and where to play.
Psnow was just xcloud less day one releases
the new ps+ is the old ps+ with psnow added

What part of "all you can eat service" are you not getting?

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
People really seem to be missing the fact that this includes the PS Plus service you're all already buying, which makes it a whole lot cheaper than GamePass, which is a separate service. Frankly, if you have PlayStation and play online already, the extra $40 a year for the next tier up is a no brainer.
Thinking Think GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

ksdixon

More info on PS classics which is exiting:

@Bryank75 You should be proud of good old Jimbo, he's seen the light of classic games.
You dont get credit/praise for being proven wrong and looking like a goof, then having to re-launch a service into a half-baked competitor service that STILL doesnt understand what customers want.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
PS Plus Now is not the same thing as Game Pass Ultimate. On GP Ultimate you get 1st-party day-1, downloadable PC games, streamable current gen games(XSX cloud hardware), EA Access, and xCloud on mobile.

Last edited:

yurinka

Do we have ps5 exclusives on ps now as it currently stands?
No, as of now PS Now doesn't include PS5 games. Seems that at Spartacus launch they'll start adding PS5 games to download (Extra, Premium, Deluxe tiers) like Returnal, and months after launch they'll include them to stream too.

Gamepass a separate service, it depends if you take the simple GamePass (9.99 euros per month here in France) or the Ulimate one (12.99 euros per month) which include the live gold.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Something you might not know: PS Now was never available outside a select of countries. Now This PS+ Extra/Deluxe is at least available download-based and I've said that many times before that one would've helped PS Now if it was available outside streamable countries. You SHOULD expect a growth there because it was literally impossible to have PS Now here and wanted to try it so I can play Ace Combat there for example.

Also Xbox doesn't have a local market here, no Arabic support as I'm aware of. Most people here avoid AAA games that need understanding English, that's why games that have extensive localization like AC games, Uncharted, and many similar games have a worldwide success instead of just US/UK success.

PS+ in Oman PS Store is $49.99, PS5 games are $72 after VAT, PS4 games are $60-63 after VAT (5%). You sometimes find cheaper deals than the US store, which is famous worldwide to be the best store overall price-wise. I use a US account though. Indies seem to be cheaper in the Omani store as well.

Because of that, there are no Xbox vendors, and most of them are US-market if you find any. You might take this lightly, but this is something pretty big and why PS is so dominant worldwide, along with having the best games.

gamepass also isn't available everywhere either but the markets are growing. the more both Microsoft and Sony grow into different countries the better

Chukhopops

Well, if you only get the PS4 portion of PSNow you miss over half of the “good” (80+ MC) games in the service. You get four games released in the last two years and no PS5 game as of now.

You get 404 games with an average MC of 70.7, which isn’t too bad overall.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I really wasn’t expecting people would get so upset about this PS Plus revamp. I wonder why.
Disappointment would be a better word. Price went from $60 to $120. I was told by Sony that PSNow would be $60/yr until I cancel, but they sent an email saying they eliminated my service altogether and moved me to different service. This was just a slick way to violate contract and force PSNow subscribers into paying for online multiplayer.

Swift_Star

Banned
Disappointment would be a better word. Price went from $60 to $120. I was told by Sony that PSNow would be $60/yr until I cancel, but they sent an email saying they eliminated my service altogether and moved me to different service. This was just a slick way to violate contract and force PSNow subscribers into paying for online multiplayer.
The only people that are disappointed are the CONCERNED CITIZENS who were setting this up for failure by hyping day one games, a thing that no one really was anticipating. So, it's not that either.
And to add to that, PSNow only users are utterly irrelevant as they represent 25% of the whole PSNow userbase, which accounts for just 3.5 million people. A very low number.
So, yeah, it's really not that either.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
The only people that are disappointed are the CONCERNED CITIZENS who were setting this up for failure by hyping day one games, a thing that no one really was anticipating. So, it's not that either.
And to add to that, PSNow only users are utterly irrelevant as they represent 25% of the whole PSNow userbase, which accounts for just 3.5 million people. A very low number.
So, yeah, it's really not that either.
I've been a PSNow sub for years. They just went back on their word, eliminated my service, and moved me to a different service that will cost twice as much. So, fuck yourself fanboy.

Swift_Star

Banned
I've been a PSNow sub for years. They just went back on their word, eliminated my service, and moved me to a different service that will cost twice as much. So, fuck yourself fanboy.
Re-read what I said instead of getting angry. Everyone knew PSNow was going to end. It was a failed service. Don't know what you were expecting.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Re-read what I said instead of getting angry. Everyone knew PSNow was going to end. It was a failed service. Don't know what you were expecting.
Stop concern trolling while claiming others are concern trolling. Sony said my service would be $60/yr until cancelled, not me. They did the bait and switch. This wasn't to bring me value. I'm not even sure what console PlayStation players see in this. Before it was $60/yr for PS+ and $60/yr for PSNow. Now it's $120/yr for both without the premium options you get on other services. How is that not disappointing?

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
Stop concern trolling while claiming others are concern trolling. Sony said my service would be $60/yr until cancelled, not me. They did the bait and switch. This wasn't to bring me value. I'm not even sure what console PlayStation players see in this. Before it was $60/yr for PS+ and $60/yr for PSNow. Now it's $120/yr for both without the premium options you get on other services. How is that not disappointing?
I'm not concern trolling though? I'm stating facts and those are as follow:
  1. PSNow is a failed service, bound to end at some point
  2. PSPlus is a succesful service
  3. Sony was looking for a rebrand of PSNow and merging with PSPlus
  4. Sony merged the services
  5. PSNow only users account for a low % of 25% of Now users
  6. 75% of now users are also Plus users
  7. The new service brings more value since sony will look into partnership with NEW and RECENT third party games, at a cheaper price point (not $120), along with recent first party games, something OG Now barely has
  8. The $120 is the combined price of the previous service, now bringing more games than before with added BC DOWNLOADABLE games.
I fail to see anything disappointing in that list except for those that were only Now users on playstation (very few people in a few limited countries). It's understandable why they did it.
Was it right? I guess not, but it is what it is.

Last edited:

LucasBR

Sorry if asked and answered already. They put out the game list and Canadian prices yet?

We don't have any game list yet, just some games like Returnal. GoW, Spider Man and Miles Morales.
Regarding the canadian prices, try to check the PlayStation Canada profile on twitter or blog, you might find something there.

buenoblue

Nah, I'm good thanks. I'll stick to emuating the few old titles I wanna play on pc. And as I discovered with gamepass, I don't have time to play all that shit. I don't have time to play the games Ive already bought lol.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I'm not concern trolling though? I'm stating facts and those are as follow:
  1. PSNow is a failed service, bound to end at some point
  2. PSPlus is a succesful service
  3. Sony was looking for a rebrand of PSNow and merging with PSPlus
  4. Sony merged the services
  5. PSNow only users account for a low % of 25% of Now users
  6. 75% of now users are also Plus users
  7. The new service brings more value since sony will look into partnership with NEW and RECENT third party games, at a cheaper price point (not $120), along with recent first party games, something OG Now barely has
  8. The $120 is the combined price of the previous service, now bringing more games than before with added BC DOWNLOADABLE games.
I fail to see anything disappointing in that list except for those that were only Now users on playstation (very few people in a few limited countries). It's understandable why they did it.
Was it right? I guess not, but it is what it is.
They doubled the price and added nothing.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I said this i the other PS sub plan thread. If I had a PS, I'd get the mid tier plan for $100/yr. MP gaming and modern era games. I'll pass on the premium tier legacy games even if only $20 more.

SkylineRKR

Not really. I have GPU which has Gold (equivalent to existing PS Plus) +GP. Its 12,99. And ofcourse I scummed it to pay even less (which I don't factor in but its possible to do so).

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
We don't have any game list yet, just some games like Returnal. GoW, Spider Man and Miles Morales.
Regarding the canadian prices, try to check the PlayStation Canada profile on twitter or blog, you might find something there.
Found them I think

Canada prices before TAXES
PlayStation Plus Essential
$12.49 monthly / $31.24 quarterly/
$74.99 yearly
PlayStation Plus Extra
$18.74 monthly / $49.99 quarterly /
$124.98 yearly
PlayStation Plus Premium
$22.49 monthly
62.49 quarterly
$149.98 yearly

if I read that right, they are sneaking in a plus increase for essential too

this isn’t directly from Sony mind you so a pinch of salt

LucasBR

Found them I think

Canada prices before TAXES
PlayStation Plus Essential
$12.49 monthly / $31.24 quarterly/
$74.99 yearly
PlayStation Plus Extra
$18.74 monthly / $49.99 quarterly /
$124.98 yearly
PlayStation Plus Premium
$22.49 monthly
62.49 quarterly
$149.98 yearly

if I read that right, they are sneaking in a plus increase for essential too

this isn’t directly from Sony mind you so a pinch of salt

Well, I guess that's wrong... I'm reading the PS Blog Brazil right now and the price for ps plus essential is the same as the "old" ps plus.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Well, I guess that's wrong... I'm reading the PS Blog Brazil right now and the price for ps plus essential is the same as the "old" ps plus.

Maybe but this crap happens here a lot. I wouldn be surprised. Either way, I’m on essential till I see the lists

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So in order to play PS1 and PS2 games I would need the most expensive version? No thanks, I’ll just wait for my Steam Deck to arrive and emulate those myself.
PS1 plays flawlessly on the Deck. PS2 plays about 90% of games flawlessly on the Deck. PSP games play flawlessly on the Deck.

Bonus points because running Retroarch on the Deck for PS1 and PSP games, you can unlock Retro Achievements.

scydrex

I don´t see the point of this. Sony don´t offer day 1 games ok fine but the premium is the same as now paying for PS+ and PS Now for $120... what did they add? Trials and demos? They could have done a better job here...

So I may be thick here but, why can’t they get PS3 games working on a Ps5 rather than streaming

The Cell was complex etc yeah, but surely we are at a stage where it can be brute forced? Third parties managed to convert games to the ps3 which also worked on the 360 and Pc at the time.

Last edited:

scydrex

PS1 plays flawlessly on the Deck. PS2 plays about 90% of games flawlessly on the Deck. PSP games play flawlessly on the Deck.

Bonus points because running Retroarch on the Deck for PS1 and PSP games, you can unlock Retro Achievements.
I prefer buying a Deck than paying anual $60 more to Sony for playing PS1, PSP, PS2 or PS3 games... It even runs Elden Ring like a PS4 at 720p 30fps...

a wall of text to say complete and objective proved nonsense. On gamepass there are already titles with higher mc than many of the Sony exclusives. Enough of this nonsense created unilaterally. Halo budget is not less than the one of Spiderman ... Forza it has nothing to envy to Gran Turismo (if anything it continues to be the other way around) Psychonauts is objectively a better game than Knack ..so really I don't understand this nonsense .....What in your head makes you think that Flight Simulator is not an AAA? Or do you think the new Starfield will be a low budget AA RPG released on the service? No matter how many times you repeat this nonsense, it is not real and it is just created on neogaf to push a narrative to excuse the fact that Sony does not want to release its games on a service but prefers to charge them 82 euros each. I wait to read the new spin on the subject.
And anyway Toad meant that the service costs more (he was probably referring to the Ultimate)

I think what he's trying to say is, for his own gaming tastes, those games may not offer the quality they want to invest their time with them, so even if they are the marquee of a given service, it wouldn't make that service valuable to them because for them their time is worth more than what money they can save.

And that actually isn't a thought isolated to just him; a LOT of people think along similar terms, when it comes to any service or any item in general. At some point the money you save on a product becomes less a factor than what time it will take you to actually get worth out of that product in terms of your personal experience with it! It's something that becomes more and more important the older you get and/or the more busy with work/career your life gets, too: money, relatively speaking, becomes more and more worthless while time becomes more and more valued.

Unfortunately we can't slow down time, we can't get a "refund" on time wasted either, so you have to be more deliberate with how you invest your time as things go on. If a person has a certain set of interests when it comes to gaming, and a given service doesn't provide the content they are drawn to, then it won't matter if that service is very cheap, or offers 500 games, 1,000 games, a million games etc. That person will not be interested in such a service, simple as that.

And with all that, goes to say MetaCritic scores may not always mean much of anything in this. Some of my favorite games of all time, personally speaking, have middling MetaCritic scores, or don't even have MetaCritic entries! Some of them aren't even that popular...doesn't change the fact that I love those games and would play a lot of them over some of the high MC-rated games like certain Marios, Uncharteds, Halos, even games like BOTW and Elden Ring. Scores don't mean that much to me other than what the journalists community thinks of a game, and that isn't saying as much these days versus the weight that carried back in the '90s and '00s (outside of very select reviewers).

Even with the games you used in those comparisons, things don't line up. Halo Infinite may not have a budget lower (or much lower) than Spiderman/Miles Morales, but a casual looking at both side-to-side would probably assume Infinite's budget is much lower just going by what they see on screen compared to Spiderman/Miles Morales. Psychonauts has a very different theme & sort of subject matter compared to Knack, including different gameplay mechanics...some people may prefer Knack because of those differences. Same can kind of be said about GT compared to Forza (or in other ways, some people could prefer the visual aesthetic of GT over Forza)..etc.

To me something like Flight Sim is definitely AAA in quality, from what I've seen of it...but it's also a very niche type of game. It's a flight/plane simulator; there's no story, there are no characters to become attached to, there's no imaginative world setting, no fantastical lore, no thematic elements based around human drama etc. It's an extremely mechanical game, so it's not going to engage with most people on an emotional level. And that's okay; there's a market for purely mechanical games...it's just a much smaller market than those for games that tap into emotion, or can tap into both mechanical & emotional ("emotional" as in outside of graphics realism).

th4tguy

I wonder when we will get to see the service. A lot of my opinion will be made once I can see the service in action and look at what titles are available.
The number of titles available mean little if half of them are yearly sports and Ubisoft dance games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom