• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Am I Alone in not buying the Elden Ring hype?

KillaJamm

Understandable, but one thing doesn't anulate the other. People can 'git gud' at real life things and at video-games.

Even because From Software games are not even that hard.
I feel you I guess, I'm probably just not that good at them period. It's taken me like a day before just to clear a certain section on Sekiro and after I killed the boss I was stuck on I just felt like I wasted my time that's all lol. I could of learnt a new song on the piano or cleared a full game out my backlog, literally.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
As someone looking from the outside looking in, it seems to me that the hype is real for the fans of souls games, while everyone else is getting hit with the hyperbole like "Greatest game of the generation." Matter of fact, I think I recall hearing the same about Bloodborne.

This too will past.

I will say, if you aren't a fan of souls games, just step aside and left the wave rush by.
People love Bloodborne now just as much as they did at release

SeraphJan

Imagine getting half way through the undead berg in DS1 and writing off the whole game.
I remember when I first played Dark Souls completely blind on Xbox 360, I went to New Londo first, after getting my ass beaten, I entered the Drake Valley and get my ass beaten again, later I entered the graveyard and got my ass beaten again, after countless ass beating. I was like "Wow these are the most amazing tutorial levels ever!"
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Arthimura

I feel you I guess, I'm probably just not that good at them period. It's taken me like a day before just to clear a certain section on Sekiro and after I killed the boss I was stuck on I just felt like I wasted my time that's all lol
Sekiro is mecanically the hardest Soulsborne game, getting stuck is not uncommon bro.

Just learn to do parries consistently, and further in the game learn to do Mikiri Counter. Eventually you're going to get better and have a smoothier progress.

Last edited:

KillaJamm

Sekiro is mecanically the hardest Soulsborne game, getting stuck is not uncommon bro.

Just learn to do parries consistently, and further in the game learn to do Mikiri Counter. Eventually you're going to get better and have a more smooth progress.
Cheers for the advice bro I need to eventually pick it back up so its appreciated.

It plays exactly like Dark Souls. It's what I expected so I wasn't surprised by it but it's essentially Dark Souls 4. There is even a "let me help you remember how to fight" scene in the beginning. Cool game though. Just Dark Souls 4 basically.

I'm not trying to burst anyone's bubble but I think the hype for this game is way over blown. I knew next to nothing about this game until a few days ago being that From software games are not my style. I watched reviews from major sites like IGN, Gamespot, etc and many smaller reviewers on youtube. For the Life of me I can't see why the hell this game is hyped so much. I understand this is not a popular opinion and open myself up for some flaming. With that being said, watchng hours of footage I still do not understand the hype. Graphics are nothing special, Gameplay is nothing special, the game lacks the most important aspect, FUN! I want to like this game like people are shouting to the heavens about but I just don't see it.
My opinion is not popular, so I have to make a thread about it.

Personally, I was never able to get into a Souls game and I tried but... Who cares? I don't.

Fun is subjective, they're obviously very fun for a lot of people, it's not like gameplay is like a Kojima/David Cage game (who, despite me pissing on them, is still fun for a lot of people). The issue for me is the time investment to get into it.
Nope. Legit looks like the most overrated game of all time to me based off reviews.Like the only redeeming quality I see in it is the art design.
Well, I'd argue the fact there is good art design makes it less overated than Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart, Horizon Forbidden West, Halo Infinite, Pokémon Arceus and Tales of the Arise.

The Art Design is really good, I hate it when games have the complete opposite of it and get praised. Specially when people confuse tech prowess with a good art direction.

Last edited:
The height of the hype is a little odd in how mainstream it is for this title. I was there at the beginning when Chinese copies of Demons Souls were being played on streams and people started importing. I understand the hype from fans and how it's grown to a certain point with Dark Souls and Bloodborne and have heard and read the viewpoints from the reviewers over more than a decade that weren't into the games before Elden Ring. Feels like some want to jump on the hype from the community and praise it too and perhaps others want something to pump up, maybe it's a little dry in game releases etc.

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Part of what made BB so good to me, was that it changed up the formula enough to feel fresh, envy video I've seen from ER, looks like a DS3 expansion pack. I'll get the game down the line, once performance patches for this gen consoles have shipped, but im really not hyped atm. Maybe its because I've played these games since the PS3 era.

Last edited:
I have a tendency to get suckered in by hype, but my immune resistance to Souls is so high that I never even twitch in the direction of the buy button.

Reading the OT and people’s praising comments puts me off still further - the things they love about it are the things that compel me to stay away.

I won’t even be waiting for a sale. Glad they are enjoying it though.

kyussman

Agreed.

It definitely seems more accessible.

I'm tempted to give it a try, I'm just concerned I'll get part way in, hit a wall regarding the skill level, and get frustrated.

I hear that can happen with these games.
It can,but levelling up usually solves that issue and normally that would mean grinding an area over and over......now it's open world I imagine that sort of tedium would be alliviated bacause you can go anywhere and explore to level up.

Looks like open world Dark Souls. So it should be good fun.

But yeah the whole idea of like its some revolutionary idea or a GOTG masterpiece... idk. Remains to be seen.

For nows its Dark Souls 4: Bigger Map Edition. And that seems good enough for a fun game.

This is how I see it.

I'm open to being wrong and I'm looking forward to playing it. But I'm not going in expecting it to be the second coming, especially because a lot of previous Souls games like Bloodborne, just didn't resonate with me, despite the online community raving over them.

Ammogeddon

I respect that people love these types of games. I’ve given all of them a go but they’re just not for me.

We can’t all expect to like the same games, and nor should we.

Imagine getting half way through the undead berg in DS1 and writing off the whole game.
Tbh undead burg was a well designed section and a very good representation of the overall game. The gameplay loop doesn't change dramatically afterwards, it just becomes more challenging.

So in my view, if one doesn't like the gameplay loop there, it's quite fair to drop the game there.

Last edited:

RexAnglo

Banned
It can,but levelling up usually solves that issue and normally that would mean grinding an area over and over......now it's open world I imagine that sort of tedium would be alliviated bacause you can go anywhere and explore to level up.
Yes, I do like the fact you can go off, level up, and try again.

Because, it's not a linear experience you get the option.

I've read that it's a vast open world, maybe as big as any game ever made.

kyussman

Yes, I do like the fact you can go off, level up, and try again.

Because, it's not a linear experience you get the option.

I've read that it's a vast open world, maybe as big as any game ever made.
Yea,like I said before....if they have managed to keep that classic feel and experience of their games and transport it to an open world,then it should be a pretty special game.It looks to me like a great starting point for people who haven't played a From game before.

Spaceman292

Banned
Tbh undead burg was a well designed section and a very good representation of the overall game. The gameplay loop doesn't change dramatically afterwards, it just becomes more challenging.

So in my view, if one doesn't like the gameplay loop there, it's quite fair to drop the game there.
Fighting skinny little zombies on a generic medieval battlement with your basic starting equipment is a good representation of all the crazy shit that happens later on?

O and S, crystal caves, blight town, ash lake, painted world. Maybe it's representative in that you hit things with a sword and use bonfires I guess. But that's about it.

Fighting skinny little zombies on a generic medieval battlement with your basic starting equipment is a good representation of all the crazy shit that happens later on?

O and S, crystal caves, blight town, ash lake, painted world. Maybe it's representative in that you hit things with a sword and use bonfires I guess. But that's about it.
Yes the gameplay loop is that essentially. You hit things with a sword. I mean I know you were trying to be sarcastic but it's essentially true. You see a enemy, you recognize its patterns, you attack. Then you make it to a boss. You study it's patterns, you form a plan and attack. That's the core gameplay loop. For better or for worse, it applies from undead burg to all the way to the end boss. If someone doesn't gel with that loop it's completely fair to drop it after undead burg.

RafterXL

Every game is not for everyone, but people have been waiting for this game for years. It's the culmination of a 13 year old legacy of excellent games with a massive, loyal fanbase. On top of that it's changed the formula just enough to drag in a wider audience that wouldn't normally be interested.

You can say the game lacks fun, which is hilarious since you not only dislike Souls games, but haven't even touched this one, but it's the most fun I've had in a game in a long time. You're right, you don't get it, and that's fine.

The undead berg didn't have me trudge along aimlessly killing enemies which respawn behind a minute later.
Enemies don't respawn in Elden Ring. They stay dead until you die or you rest, just like every other Souls game.

Mabdia

I'm not trying to burst anyone's bubble but I think the hype for this game is way over blown. I knew next to nothing about this game until a few days ago being that From software games are not my style. I watched reviews from major sites like IGN, Gamespot, etc and many smaller reviewers on youtube. For the Life of me I can't see why the hell this game is hyped so much. I understand this is not a popular opinion and open myself up for some flaming. With that being said, watchng hours of footage I still do not understand the hype. Graphics are nothing special, Gameplay is nothing special, the game lacks the most important aspect, FUN! I want to like this game like people are shouting to the heavens about but I just don't see it.
I know that the game exist and a lot of people talk about it. But being a From Software game I know what expect and usually FS's games are not my type of game (but I what to play Sekiro someday). Because of that, I didn't lose my time watching or reading anything about the game.

I'll wait the hype cools down and try it someday.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Nah, I'm not hyped on it either but I still plan on getting it. From Software games are incredibly special and worth seeing even if you suck at them. I mostly just want to see the art style and environments, even though I know I'll never finish it. Playing in co-op with my buddy should be damn fun too.

edit-

It's weird to see people hating on Souls games, when the hell did that become a thing? lol. Souls games are effing brilliant and I say that as someone who is abysmal at them. I mean come on, even if you suck at the games you should be able to recognize that they're amazing and worth the praise they receive. The art direction alone is worth the price of admission, even if you never make it past the first area, lol. (I speak from experience with Bloodborne).

The hate honestly comes off as people being upset because they aren't good at the games. Not every game is gonna be widely accessible in terms of gameplay, that's OK. We have enough games that can be plowed through with ease.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
Yes the gameplay loop is that essentially. You hit things with a sword. I mean I know you were trying to be sarcastic but it's essentially true. You see a enemy, you recognize its patterns, you attack. Then you make it to a boss. You study it's patterns, you form a plan and attack. That's the core gameplay loop. For better or for worse, it applies from undead burg to all the way to the end boss. If someone doesn't gel with that loop it's completely fair to drop it after undead burg.
Yeah it doesn't suddenly turn into a first person shooter half way through, but with the amount of weapons and spells you get, the environments and bosses, the late game is MASSIVELY different to the early game.

Alphagear

You’re not the only one OP.

Knew the reviews were too good to be true.

Remember a time when only games which were revolutionary and perfect in every department including graphics/performance got 10/10.

Nowadays 10s are just thrown for nothing.

I wonder how many Souls Fans reviewed this game. That would explain the scores.

I mean 97 metacritic is something only games like Mario 64, Zelda 64, Half Life 2 should be getting.

iHaunter

Conversely, how can hype be overblown if you have not played it?

kevm3

It plays exactly like Dark Souls. It's what I expected so I wasn't surprised by it but it's essentially Dark Souls 4. There is even a "let me help you remember how to fight" scene in the beginning. Cool game though. Just Dark Souls 4 basically.
Exactly. It's literally Dark Souls 4. The menu system is the same, the parry system, the back stab , the weapon scaling. If the only reason someone disliked Dark Souls was the lack of 'open world', then they may like this. Otherwise, this won't do anything to change their mind as it is the exact same formula but with more freedom.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Everyone says how difficult these games are, but is it really that bad if you can level up here and there? Eventually your character gets strong enough right? I've never played a souls game, but my reaction time isn't total dogshit. I beat megaman 1-9 two years ago in and I was in a top competitive pvp guild in Guild Wars 2. Those are totally unalike, but I'm curious if the difficulty is overblown by a lot of people?

VFXVeteran

Banned
Did you say Souls lack fun? I couldn't disagree more. You think everyone is playing them for the cutscenes and story?

They're videogames in their purest form. That's what makes them fun and why they're beloved. The challenge keeps you engaged, instead of just boringly going through the motions like you do in most modern games. That's a lot more fun than just going to thousands of map markers with no real sense of danger or accomplishment.
I couldn't have said it better. This game's gameplay style is what gets me going. A lot of games I haven't finished is because they are repetitive with the same enemies every room and nothing but button mashers. A Souls game forces you to think about every encounter and the enemies are varied throughout and just discovering what their techniques are is a blast. Sure, it's challenging, but that's what makes the game fun.

Last edited:

Rea

Agree. I see all the reviews is like they only see fromSoftware logo then gave this game 10/10 without blinking.
Don't get me wrong, i love fromSoftware games, i have played Demon's Souls remake, Ds3, Bloodborne, Sekiro (my most fav fromSoftware game) i love all of them. But if this game deserve 10/10 Horizon forbidden west should also deserve 10/10.

Lunarorbit

Never made it past father g in bloodborne but I bought elden ring. That's the only souls game I've played and even though I didn't get far it was fun.

My buddy never tried a souls game and he's 6 hours into the game. It's funny seeing his reactions to souls disappearing if you die and don't collect them. He has no idea what kind of game this is and he's enjoying it

I am trying to enjoy it but I can't get over how ugly it looks on PS5!

I'm sure it will grow on me eventually. But just coming off Horizon, jeez this graphics engine looks super dated and can't even maintain 60fps.

I'm only 2hrs in and probably eventually it will win me over like most Souls games do. But my initial impression is pretty mediocre.

RexAnglo

Banned
A lot of people on Steam are saying it runs terribly, with horrendous stuttering and fluctuating frame rate.

Could it be aother case of a game being rushed and/or needing multiple patches to get it in a playable state?

When someone with 16gb RAM, a top tier CPU, and a 3080, can't even maintain a stable 60fps at 1080p, there's a problem - especially as the graphics aren't exactly generation defining.

Last edited:
Top Bottom