• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any chance we'll see a better warranty with next-gen consoles?

bill0527

Both Xbox and Playstation 2 had 90 day full warranties. After reading the manual that came with the slim PS2, I noticed that Sony upped the warranty to 1 full year for the slim PS2.

I hope all the next gen consoles go with a standard one year warranty. I don't want to buy an extended warranty, because it will probably cost an extra 40-50 bucks and I could buy another game instead. I may not have a choice though if they stick with the 90 day warranties.

brocke

Banned
Just get the service plans on it at Best Buy. Consoles are about the only thing I would buy service plans on.

I don't want to buy an extended warranty, because it will probably cost an extra 40-50 bucks and I could buy another game instead.

. . .

If you know what's going to happen, why skip the extended warranty sale? So you can get on GAF and bitch six months later when your system breaks?

I don't care what it is, if it involves optical media or electronics I buy the extended warranty.

- Car Stereo (Good thing too, the face plate display died)
- External CD Rom
- iPod

You can bet your ass the next system I buy is going to come along with an extended warranty.

bill0527

I've purchased 2 extended warranties on my console and never used them.

I bought a 2 year PRP from Best Buy on my launch PS2 and it crapped out on my 3 years later.

I bought a 1 year extended warrantly on my Xbox from EB games and never used it.

That is why I would like a longer warranty on next gen consoles. 90 days is nothing. They need to bump it to one year.

Again - if you're really concerned about the inevitable; you have to ensure you take advantage of the extended warranty before it expires. If it means tossing your PS3 in a bath tub, or "accidentally dropping it so it stops working" - so be it.

It's absurd to expect any company to ensure the lifespan of your console beyond what they already offer.

With that said - I have to say Sony was pretty good about repairing my PS2, free of charge; four years after launch.

Still, that's not the safety net an extended warranty is.

bill0527

The Take Out Bandit said:
It's absurd to expect any company to ensure the lifespan of your console beyond what they already offer.

With that said - I have to say Sony was pretty good about repairing my PS2, free of charge; four years after launch.

Well... obviously you expected Sony to ensure the lifespan of your console beyond what they offered if you contacted them to fix it after 4 years.

I'm not asking for them to ensure the lifespan of my console beyond what they offer. I'm asking them to make their offer for a longer period of time. Sony is now doing this with the slimline PS2 and I hope Microsoft follows with a 1 year fully warranty on X360, and then Sony keeps that 1 year warranty on PS3.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Nintendo offers a full year warranty on all their equipment.

The funny thing is that their hardware is the only thing we generally don't need a year warranty on.

DavidDayton said:
Nintendo offers a full year warranty on all their equipment.

The funny thing is that their hardware is the only thing we generally don't need a year warranty on.
You wouldn't be saying that if you were forced to constantly open up and tinker with your Gamecube due to customer service reps wanting to charge you $50 to repair a problem inherent in the Gamecube's design. T_T

ChrisReid

That doesn't change how Nintendo hardware is ten times less likely to have a problem either of the other console manufacturers.

Anyhow, the "extended warranties" don't cover a product for its lifetime either. You're getting them for 2-3 years at best, right before the point where a lot of systems crap out. If it's going to last the first 3-12 months, it'll probably last 2-3 years. 4-5 years is a different story, and nobody really sells warranties for that. We're talking an average of say $30/year for warranty coverage on a console like the 360/PS3. Rather than buy $180 in warranties to protect both your systems for three years, the math clearly works out that you have a better chance waiting to see if one system craps out in 3-5 years and buying a replacement for $100-200 then.

Top Bottom