• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are Sony going to expect me to pay for PSN+ to access PS4 saves?

Calverz

Legit question. Will i need psn+ to access my GOW and HZD save file on the ps5? Like its pretty obvious the games will be BC on ps5.
I ask because im not really gonna use ps5 for multiplayer/3rd party games so dont want psn+ just for this purpose.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
You can transfer saves between PS4s either on USB or over the network. Assuming PS5 will be the same.

Still shitty that Sony charges for cloud saves in 2020 though.

Calverz

Flash drive wont work as i sold the ps4 pro months ago. I just assumed it would be the same as xbox.....have i fucked up?

GamerEDM

Banned
im curious about that too, not sure i would want to use any of my precious 825gb on old games though

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Flash drive wont work as i sold the ps4 pro months ago. I just assumed it would be the same as xbox.....have i fucked up?
Yep. If you sold your box, your saves only exist now in the cloud.

If I recall, Sony actually deletes your cloud save files if you haven't been a PS+ subscriber in like... six months. So you might have fucked up bad and have to start over from the beginning anyway.

Night.Ninja

Banned
I was thinking about this. They should have a transfer options just for PS4 to PS5. It's 2020 you can't expect me to break out a usb stick to copy my saves over, feels primitive

Mmnow

This is something that needs sorting out. We have Plus through my wife's account, but I don't get to upload cloud saves. I pay for PS Now through my account, so it's not like Sony aren't getting anything out of me.

Transferring by USB is annoying when a simpler option would be to just offer basic cloud saving for free. It shouldn't be a premium feature.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Legit question. Will i need psn+ to access my GOW and HZD save file on the ps5? Like its pretty obvious the games will be BC on ps5.
I ask because im not really gonna use ps5 for multiplayer/3rd party games so dont want psn+ just for this purpose.

I think cloud saves will be free for everyone. PS+ owners may get some more storage space. I hope screenshots and videos can be saved in the cloud an shared easily.

jshackles

You have got to be shitting me? Iv not subscribed in over a year id say.
200.gif

have fun playing the games from the beginning!

ksdixon

You can transfer saves between PS4s either on USB or over the network. Assuming PS5 will be the same.

Still shitty that Sony charges for cloud saves in 2020 though.

And why is that, exactly?

MS had XBLive Gold for what felt like 10 years before Sony finally began following suit in 2013 with PS4 for online play and cloud game saves. And even then, PS4's version of it wasn't required to use the internet browser, use party chat, use Netflix app, or play F2P games etc.

People out here sucking XB's dick these days. Is it short term memory, or a younger generation of gamers?

ksdixon

What about using a friend's PS4 with PS+ where the friend's account uses that PS4 as it's primary, and him setting his account to use his friend's machine as his primary too.

Could he not share his friend's access to PS+ and grab his saves that way? Like how it would share his friend's game purchases across all accounts on the system?

Grinchy

Banned
We just don't know anything about the OS or BC features because of this crazy last-minute drip-feeding of information. This generation is starting off so weird.

But, it feels like a safe assumption that saves will work just as they do now for PS4 saves. I don't know why they'd lock you out of USB saves for PS4 games.

Calverz

Is the question in the thread title a genuine question or a knock at Sony then? Seems odd that someone without a PS4, who never backed up their saves to a USB before selling, and who hasn't paid anyone to store their saves in over a year is worried about those saves.
Because as i said earlier, i just assumed it would be similar to xbox in terms of cloud saves. And if its a knock to sony, then so be it.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
You have got to be shitting me? Iv not subscribed in over a year id say.
RIP

And why is that, exactly?

MS had XBLive Gold for what felt like 10 years before Sony finally began following suit in 2013 with PS4 for online play and cloud game saves. And even then, PS4's version of it wasn't required to use the internet browser, use party chat, use Netflix app, or play F2P games etc.

People out here sucking XB's dick these days. Is it short term memory, or a younger generation of gamers?
There is basically no one young here. And I don't where people sucking X1 dicks, maybe in alternative universe.

Last edited:

NickFire

Because as i said earlier, i just assumed it would be similar to xbox in terms of cloud saves. And if its a knock to sony, then so be it.
Yeah I'm not buying it. But whatever, you have successfully turned Series X into the best choice because Sony might not let you download PS4 saves that you never backed up or paid to have them back up, Craig has been redeemed!

jshackles

Cloud saves should really be a free service, but yes, lots of solutions mentioned.
None of which get around the fact the OP hasn't subscribed to PS+ in over a year and his save files are likely all long gone from Sony's servers.

Calverz

Yeah I'm not buying it. But whatever, you have successfully turned Series X into the best choice because Sony might not let you download PS4 saves that you never backed up or paid to have them back up, Craig has been redeemed!
Wow turns out you know more about my intentions than i do myself. Interesting 🤔

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I'll try and make this fair, since in every thread talking about the new xbox controller there is an ignorant and even weaker argument: "wait, its 2020 and the controller still has batteries!!!?????"

I'll throw out a "wait, its 2020 and they still don't have free automatic cloud saves!!????" Just to keep it balanced.

vkbest

Yes you will need if you were so dumb you didn’t make a backup on a USB.

To me cloud saves make more sense to be under PS+ than Netflix, F2P games, and a bunch of other shit that run in their own servers.

Like Sony was paying amazon to host saves, now they pay Microsoft. At some point Sony is going to have their own hosting servers.

If you don't want to use the USB method than does Sony have a cloud app on the PS4 maybe you can download a free cloud app that like offer 4 or 8 GB of free cloud storage i know on Xbox you get free unlimited cloud save plus they have free dropbox and onedrive app that offer free cloud storage maybe PS4 have those app for free? than upload your save file from the PS4 to the cloud storage app than when you get a PS5 you can download that app on your PS5 than download your save file from the cloud app lol it bothersome but it don't require for you to pay for PSN+ i don't know if that is possible on a PS4 but if it is i think that would solve your problem or just buy PSN+

Last edited:
Ah so i was so dumb to not think of carrying out a solution method from 2007. Ok. Thanks for your input, it was terribly useful!!
You had 13 years to figure it out and decided to think about it during next-gen hype. Yeah kinda dumb. I mean the free option existed when you sold all your saves in the first place.

yurqqa

So.
User have sold the console without copying the saves and expect Sony to keep them in Cloud (which is known to be a paid service) without paying for it.

And it's Sony's fault.

I didn't feed the dog for a year, but it's not dead. Someone must've took care of it and it's safe somewhere on a farm far away.

Last edited:

Tomeru

Op, you must know so.eone with a ps4? Friends and such? Log in on their system, dl the saves, delete your user. Profit.

Top Bottom