• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are Sony going to expect me to pay for PSN+ to access PS4 saves?

Roxkis_ii

You know hosting things online isn't free right?? So why would you be upset that your being charged for something that isn't free for Sony??

This is obsessive brain excrement. If you haven't played these games in months the likelihood that you are going to pick them up again, on a new console is close to zero.

If the game is really worth replaying then you might as well experience it from scratch again with new graphics. Not start from a place you can't even remember.

Don't want to pay for PS plus? Start from scratch, seems like a dumb hit piece thread anyway.

Wizz-Art

Sorry? Play better? Think you got your wires crossed here. Looking slightly better doesn’t mean it will either play best or be the best version, sorry to break it to you.
Just like all third party games play better on the Xbox One X, you should try it and then your eyes Will open! Of course you can choose the Weaker console but Don:t expect to play third party games better...

Last edited:
Just like all third party games play better on the Xbox One X, you should try it and then your eyes Will open! Of course you can choose the Wealer console but Don:t expect to play third party games better...

rak1Tyl.gif

Clarissa

Banned
Legit question. Will i need psn+ to access my GOW and HZD save file on the ps5? Like its pretty obvious the games will be BC on ps5.
I ask because im not really gonna use ps5 for multiplayer/3rd party games so dont want psn+ just for this purpose.

When I got my PS4 and PS4 pro, the consoles came with 1 free month of PSN+.

I'll assume the PS5 will come with a free month's worth of PSN+.

Last edited:

Wizz-Art

I'm sorry to be the one who broke It to you guys... Like Craig says:; there's no need to be upset!

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Just like all third party games play better on the Xbox One X, you should try it and then your eyes Will open! Of course you can choose the Weaker console but Don:t expect to play third party games better...

How does it play them better?

You're sounding like a bit of a nutcase. But you do you.

Grinchy

Banned
Sony keep your saves for 6 months after a subscription lapsing so they are all gone bud.
Have there been people who have actually had their saves deleted after 6 months? That'd be crazy. I remember MMOs would always warn you with this too, but then you'd go back years later and the character was still there, just fine.

IMO they want you to be incentivized to come back and pay them again, and if they really deleted your cloud saves, it's one less reason to come back.

Wizz-Art

How does it play them better?

You're sounding like a bit of a nutcase. But you do you.
Easy if you are dumb enough to not know that the stronger console Will play all third party games better by default like the One X does I don't know what to tell you. Higher framerates, higher resolution very simple to onderstand really. Funny you think I'm a nutcase while you willingly defend the weaker console..

Thirty7ven

Banned
Easy if you are dumb enough to not know that the stronger console Will play all third party games better by default like the One X does I don't know what to tell you. Higher framerates, higher resolution very simple to onderstand really. Funny you think I'm a nutcase while you willingly defend the weaker console..

Higher resolution doesn't make games play better. But it's clear you're not worth my time.

Kdad

Higher resolution doesn't make games play better. But it's clear you're not worth my time.
Whizz-Art: Another one that plays the specs and not the games. No wonder Nintendo is such a failure...all they have are games.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
You know hosting things online isn't free right?? So why would you be upset that your being charged for something that isn't free for Sony??

I get your point, but your argument is weak when someone already offers free cloud saves (Steam).

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I get your point, but your argument is weak when someone already offers free cloud saves (Steam).
Xbox also does free cloud saves.

Ironic considering they make you pay to play F2P games online lol

I prefer the MS way though.. I really rarely play online games.. cloud saves on the other hand I really could make use of as I buy multiple consoles as I have 2 gaming rooms + a PC desk I game at.

edit: But honestly a USB stick isn't that big of a deal, just feels old skool

Last edited:
You can transfer saves between PS4s either on USB or over the network. Assuming PS5 will be the same.

Still shitty that Sony charges for cloud saves in 2020 though.

Yes its so shitty of sony because it costs zero dollars to store millions of saves and servers are free too gtfoh

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Yes its so shitty of sony because it costs zero dollars to store millions of saves and servers are free too gtfoh
I never said they were free, but other companies such as Microsoft, Valve, and Google figured out a long time ago that providing that service to their customers for no charge was a worthwhile endeavor. It cost them a pittance in storage, and prevents putting their customers in a situation like OP has found himself in.

Let's pretend that Calverz Calverz is now going to purchase the Xbox Series X instead of the PlayStation 5 next gen, specifically because his cloud save files were deleted by Sony without him realizing it. That's hundreds, perhaps thousands of dollars they'll be missing out on just from a single customer. Multiply this by the number of customers who may be in the same situation, and the picture gets clearer. Companies invest in things like customer courtesies exactly for this reason.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Xbox also does free cloud saves.

Ironic considering they make you pay to play F2P games online lol

I prefer the MS way though.. I really rarely play online games.. cloud saves on the other hand I really could make use of as I buy multiple consoles as I have 2 gaming rooms + a PC desk I game at.

I didn't know about Xbox One, that's cool. Didn't they charge for that feature on Xbox 360, or was it always like that on Live?

I never said they were free, but other companies such as Microsoft, Valve, and Google figured out a long time ago that providing that service to their customers for no charge was a worthwhile endeavor. It cost them a pittance in storage, and prevents putting their customers in a situation like OP has found himself in.

Let's pretend that Calverz Calverz is now going to purchase the Xbox Series X instead of the PlayStation 5 next gen, specifically because his cloud save files were deleted by Sony without him realizing it. That's hundreds, perhaps thousands of dollars they'll be missing out on just from a single customer. Multiply this by the number of customers who may be in the same situation, and the picture gets clearer. Companies invest in things like customer courtesies exactly for this reason.
If cloud saves were so important, how did anything that would jeopardize them slip his mind? If being able to have old saves on a new system is so high on customers mind, how would getting rid of all means to do that feasible? This "picture" you're painting doesn't seem like it would happen enough for a company to care. And if it did, what could they really do?

Boss Mog

Nah they're expecting you to backup your saves on a USB drive before you sell your PS4. I guess they were expecting too much this time though.

Wizz-Art

A little bit deeper into PSN; The big elephant in the room continues to be how Sony started charging for PSN at the beginning of this generation yet doesn't invest the money they earn back into PSN.

It's kinda ridiculous to think that they still rent server space from AWS and recently they made the deal with MS Azure for online streaming solutions. Owning your own servers like MS does is an huge advantage. Xbox doesn't – if rarely – close servers for their games. Sony does all the time because they still rent and any space they can save on they will.

Because of that they also can't scale to give everyone a couple of Gb's of cloud storage free of charge, they account for it when you subscribe to PSN plus. Also all the problems they have with PSN won't resolve as fast as when they would operate PSN fully on their own servers, with their own technicians and engeneers.

For example; MS recently merged their Xbox 360 store with the Xbox One store and revamped it completely, it's extremely fast and it just works even in the preview Alpha ring of the insider program while most of your users still use the old store but it runs paralel to eachother. You can easily do and test stuff like that when you own the servers your online infrastructure runs on. So BC is a given going forward, you can simply use the Xbox One store for the 360 games and pay with your prefered payment method from the console.

A little bit deeper into PSN; The big elephant in the room continues to be how Sony started charging for PSN at the beginning of this generation yet doesn't invest the money they earn back into PSN.

It's kinda ridiculous to think that they still rent server space from AWS and recently they made the deal with MS Azure for online streaming solutions. Owning your own servers like MS does is an huge advantage. Xbox doesn't – if rarely – close servers for their games. Sony does all the time because they still rent and any space they can save on they will.

Because of that they also can't scale to give everyone a couple of Gb's of cloud storage free of charge, they account for it when you subscribe to PSN plus. Also all the problems they have with PSN won't resolve as fast as when they would operate PSN fully on their own servers, with their own technicians and engeneers.

For example; MS recently merged their Xbox 360 store with the Xbox One store and revamped it completely, it's extremely fast and it just works even in the preview Alpha ring of the insider program while most of your users still use the old store but it runs paralel to eachother. You can easily do and test stuff like that when you own the servers your online infrastructure runs on. So BC is a given going forward, you can simply use the Xbox One store for the 360 games and pay with your prefered payment method from the console.

dsmHdtQ.gif

Top Bottom